Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Ronnie posted:

Ok some questions:

Are the controls supposed to be this clunky?
Why do I have to be standing within 2mm of someone/object to interact with it?
Why is this lady making me go on a quest when the quest arrow doesn't tell me where to go?
Why have I had to lower my settings to 2004 mode to sort out the framerate?
Is this going to get any better? actually no don't answer that one

Welcome to WildStar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I want to play a video game. Should it be Wildstar?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Disney's ToonTown

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Play Realmz, imo.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Kill your self

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Bob NewSCART posted:

Kill your self

Wildstar: Russian Roulette Is More Enjoyable

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Oh no! Too much information! I have been overloaded, if only they displayed the appropriate amount of information!

shwag
Apr 23, 2008

Yes , yes you should. And also give us a very detailed description of your adventures in Warplots Cupcake!

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Ronnie posted:

Ok some questions:

Are the controls supposed to be this clunky?
Why do I have to be standing within 2mm of someone/object to interact with it?
Why is this lady making me go on a quest when the quest arrow doesn't tell me where to go?
Why have I had to lower my settings to 2004 mode to sort out the framerate?
Is this going to get any better? actually no don't answer that one

Im kind of surprised by your first problem. Ive generlaly found Wildstar's controls to be pretty good. Your character generally feels really responsive when moving around. This is of course assuming the game runs at a decent frame rate, which it may very well not due to the absolute terrible optimization for AMD stuff.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Oh no! Too much information! I have been overloaded, if only they displayed the appropriate amount of information!

I know, it sounds kind of ridiculous but the game absolutely insists on nagging you to death with pop ups about stuff that really isnt very important. The game just throws more and more information up on screen, and you cant ignore it since if you dont click to close it you will eventually not be able to see a single thing. It makes it feel like you are spending more time clicking to close the constant stream of not so helpful garbage than you are actually playing the game.

One example of this is how after you kill a mob a big "help" window pops up informing you that you need to click a button to loot everything that dropped. This is good information for new players so having this popup once isnt a necessarily bad thing, the problem is it pops up every time you kill a mob that drops loot. Over and over and over again. Eventually you figure out that if you close it in a particular manner it stops reopening, the problem is that since it pops up immediately after you kill a mob, which means you are likely in the middle of fighting one or two other mobs, you just want the loving thing to go away so you can see what you are doing and not die so you close it in the fastest way possible, which means in a few more seconds its going to open right back up when you kill mob two of three. The game is absolutely full of "help" pop ups, quest notifications, and other stuff like this that just wont go away.

After about two hours of slogging through this steady bombardment of not very helpful "help" you clear all the messages, all the unsolicited quests, and all the other garbage the game throws at you and can actually play in peace. And maybe if you are lucky by then the instance you queued for will have popped, or probably not. I still havent actually been able to try any group content. According to people in chat most people run exclusively with their guild members since group content is so poor incentivized its not worth dealing with "randos" who may slow you down.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Today I learned it takes some people two hours to figure out to click 'DON'T SHOW THIS HINT AGAIN' on tooltips. I love learning something new every day.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I played in the beta and got to like, level 15 before getting bored. But I really love the art style. I'm sorely temped to try it again now that it's F2P. Please talk me out of it.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

khy posted:

I played in the beta and got to like, level 15 before getting bored. But I really love the art style. I'm sorely temped to try it again now that it's F2P. Please talk me out of it.

Just play overwatch.

No story, have gun anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours. Set it and forget it!

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

noELrunes posted:

Just play overwatch.

No story, have gun anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours. Set it and forget it!

Untrue - some characters don't have gun.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Blazing Zero posted:

wildstar is not a bad game. it just has a lot of poor decisions ripped right out of nostalgia riddled minds who think vanilla wow is the best thing ever

fake edit: the killing of mans and watching numbers go up is pretty good

don't forget the "movement" to have blizzerd to drop developing the current game and make vanilla servers. along with MMO nutjob mark kurn and internet famous youtubers sodapoppn and jontron.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

For anyone unfamiliar with Mark Kern: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1tuf3c/this_is_why_mark_kern_was_removed_as_ceo_by_red_5/

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Blazing Zero posted:

wildstar is not a bad game. it just has a lot of poor decisions ripped right out of nostalgia riddled minds who think vanilla wow is the best thing ever

This.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Even better, he's now trying to convince Firefall players to stop playing the game so Red5 is forced to sell off the IP, so he can buy it and start over. Man just doesn't know when to quit.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Cyron posted:

don't forget the "movement" to have blizzerd to drop developing the current game and make vanilla servers. along with MMO nutjob mark kurn and internet famous youtubers sodapoppn and jontron.

I understand that you are using words, but I do not understand how you have placed them together. Please explain.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

There is an incredibly vocal group of MMO players that are demanding that Blizzard launch vanilla WoW servers. The most noteworthy members are Kern, Jontron and some other Youtube weirdos. Every year or so they work themselves into a tizzy over one half baked rumor about vanilla servers or another, and then when Blizzard states quite clearly for possibly the hundredth time that there will be no vanilla servers they get angry. This has been going on for quite a while, and the most recent outbreak happened after Blizzard had a vanilla private server closed.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Be thankful you no longer have to deal with the sprint mechanic which left you holding a key to run faster, then letting it go to recharge, then again.

This was even in effect for mounts.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think my favorite part of Wildstar's Steam launch is all these reviews saying "I played this game for hundreds/thousands of hours and here's why it's great!" all have single digit play times on Steam.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I think there's value in Vanilla servers and all the good and bad that come of it, but that sort of poo poo (the "hardcore" content) really only works within WoW's Vanilla world. That poo poo will not fly with a new game, as we've seen with Wildstar.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

I think my favorite part of Wildstar's Steam launch is all these reviews saying "I played this game for hundreds/thousands of hours and here's why it's great!" all have single digit play times on Steam.

Mine was the excessive white knighting by the last remnants of the player base still in denial, trying their best to shill the poo poo out of the steam launch.

I don't have a link to the quote now but it I remember the context. It went something like "everyone [still playing] switch to the steam client to help out the launch and make people see how popular it is to attract new players!".

Needless to say I don't think padding steam player stats is exactly going to help NCSoft's bottom line when it comes to axing this product.

Oh wait. We're talking about the same people aren't we?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

DancingShade posted:

Mine was the excessive white knighting by the last remnants of the player base still in denial, trying their best to shill the poo poo out of the steam launch.

I don't have a link to the quote now but it I remember the context. It went something like "everyone [still playing] switch to the steam client to help out the launch and make people see how popular it is to attract new players!".

Needless to say I don't think padding steam player stats is exactly going to help NCSoft's bottom line when it comes to axing this product.

Oh wait. We're talking about the same people aren't we?

These are the same people who drove all over town buying up every box copy thinking it would help, too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

quote:

This game has a great setting. It's grimdark in a candy wrapper with a decent storyline, great characters and lots of little details scattered around.

:chloe:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

somebody was really impressed about that quest that blew up discount McCree's pregnant wife

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
http://steamcharts.com/app/376570#48h

three days of growth before the player decline

i love steamcharts

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
A bunch of Wildstar stuff is in the current E3 Humble Bundle, so that'll probably inflate the numbers for a little while. Until everyone starting out realizes what they've gotten themselves into. :v:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I gave the Steam version a try. My reaction was basically "it seems okay, I guess, but I like Neverwinter's combat system more".

Neverwinter is not a high bar.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Roadie posted:

I gave the Steam version a try. My reaction was basically "it seems okay, I guess, but I like Neverwinter's combat system more".

Neverwinter is not a high bar.

It gets worse. Interrupt armor and everything just bein' a big ol' damage sponge with all kinds of red-zone attacks.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Interupt armor isnt necessarily a bad mechanic. The problem is that it is the only mechanic.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

I think there's value in Vanilla servers and all the good and bad that come of it, but that sort of poo poo (the "hardcore" content) really only works within WoW's Vanilla world. That poo poo will not fly with a new game, as we've seen with Wildstar.

tbh it wasn't even that hardcore in difficulty, the hardest part was getting 40 sweaty dudes online at the same time. you only really needed 10 guys that kinda knew what they were doing.

there's also a subset of people that play games that think that making things more grindy is extending the fun

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

40-man raids were still the most batshit ridiculous thing they dredged up for this game. Do you know how hard it is to get eight motherfuckers online at the same time for a raid FFXIV?

Banana Cream Pie
Jun 17, 2009

Cyron posted:

I didn't even know who Mark Kern was until all this so I checked his twitter weeks ago and apart from the giant anime titty header I scrolled down and all I see is that he has some weird fixation with anime girl navels that he seems to actively solicit from people, and then I saw he favorited a drawing of a prepubescent anime girl in a swimsuit alongside another tweet of a woman getting fisted by a robot and why would I ever need to know anything else about this person

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Banana Cream Pie posted:

I didn't even know who Mark Kern was until all this so I checked his twitter weeks ago and apart from the giant anime titty header I scrolled down and all I see is that he has some weird fixation with anime girl navels that he seems to actively solicit from people, and then I saw he favorited a drawing of a prepubescent anime girl in a swimsuit alongside another tweet of a woman getting fisted by a robot and why would I ever need to know anything else about this person

"Former Blizzard employee" really isn't a badge of honor anymore.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

thanks for me alerting me to the humble bundle, got my warframe boost for cheaps.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Banana Cream Pie posted:

Im surprised there wasnt also an unhealthy smattering of ranting about feminism in there as well.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

CoffeeBooze posted:

Im surprised there wasnt also an unhealthy smattering of ranting about feminism in there as well.

It's not the right phase of the moon for that

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Anoia posted:

"Former Blizzard employee" really isn't a badge of honor anymore.

funny part is he inflated his title durring the whole drama, when he first pop up he was listed as one of the game designers to be on par with tigole, but people found out he was only working on the art team and he still was taking orders from samwise.

it was about a badge of honer when mmo's use to say they had old dark age of Camelot devs working on their pvp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I think he puts world of warcraft "team lead" as his former title when really he was just a senior art guy who had a couple junior artists under him or something.

• Locked thread