Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I was invested in Byron the Bulb and was so happy when he succeeded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

the_homemaster posted:

Leet gamer culture. Makes me want to not read any Pynchon.

Please vacate the thread and, indeed, the planet Earth at your earliest convenience. Namaste

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

HighwireAct posted:

Anyone here read/see any of Brecht's plays? I just picked up The Caucasian Chalk Circle since I've heard so much about his work in my theatre classes, but I haven't started reading it yet.

Life of Galileo was great, the only biographical play I've read that has really stuck in my mind. Haven't read Chalk Circle, but it's one of his best known works so you should have some good times ahead!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Heath posted:

Please vacate the thread and, indeed, the planet Earth at your earliest convenience. Namaste

That did seem really bad though.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

That did seem really bad though.

It's funny

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

gaming and anime has no place in proper literature

I prefer serious topics like pooping, public masturbation, and so on,

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

To me, narrative stakes come from being invested in a character's fate and hoping for a certain outcome. Essentially, forgetting that you're reading fiction. When it doesn't matter whether the character succeeds, lives/dies, etc., there's nothing to draw the reader in to that place where fiction stops being fiction. So I think it can be easy to put down his books and not come back for a while/at all because they only please the intellectual side of the reader, not the emotional (except on some occasions).

You're right. That was a dumb comment and I take it back

The intellectual and the emotional are in fact the same thing.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The embarrassing shut in hacker says embarrassing shut in things.

And Hideo Kojima is really good esp. his work in Metal Gear Solid 2 which is the only video game plot that approaches Real Literature.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Nanomashoes posted:

The embarrassing shut in hacker says embarrassing shut in things.

And Hideo Kojima is really good esp. his work in Metal Gear Solid 2 which is the only video game plot that approaches Real Literature.

But after MGSV I'd be looking askance at anyone who called him a god.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The book came out before MGS5 and was set in 2001 so it doesn't matter.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Nanomashoes posted:

The book came out before MGS5 and was set in 2001 so it doesn't matter.

Interesting. Is that the time when MGS2 first came out and everyone was riding high on it, or when people started to say it was pretentious garbage (and wrongly so)?

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
mgs2 was cool cuz you were a jpop idol doing flips and kicking people in the face what that has to do with literature idk

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If nothing else it takes a whole lot of moxie to be a 74ish year old man willing not only to research what a young computer geek from 2001 would be into but to capture the character's attitude perfectly in one line of dialog

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Solitair posted:

Interesting. Is that the time when MGS2 first came out and everyone was riding high on it, or when people started to say it was pretentious garbage (and wrongly so)?

MGS2 came out a month or two after the book was set, but MGS1 get discussed in it. Fun fact: MGS2 originally had a cinematic where Arsenal Gear crashes into NYC, which is why the game ends on top of federal hall, but it was hastily removed because 9/11 happened two months before launch.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Please stop talking about video games.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

But you see, Pynchon got Final Fantasy X's US release date wrong in Bleeding Edge, and that leads to a page long derail on the infamous laughter scene

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mr. Squishy posted:

He also mentions Prince Vegeta by name and title in the book if you would rather discuss anime

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The only art left in our decadent and superficial society is Dark Souks

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Galeano is so good it makes me feel guilty. Thanks for the rec ras het

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

I just finished Snow Child it was good. I cried at the part when Faina said she hoped she could be the mother Mabel was to her although I usually don't get emotional at books probably the last time was when I almost threw up during Gravity's Rainbow (my GR homies know the section).

The castration bit didn't really bother me but I almost didn't get through the rocket scientist talking about meeting with his daughter. What he did made me sick and then the idea that some faceless administrator decided that's what he was into and set it up scared the poo poo out of me.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

DisDisDis posted:

The castration bit didn't really bother me but I almost didn't get through the rocket scientist talking about meeting with his daughter. What he did made me sick and then the idea that some faceless administrator decided that's what he was into and set it up scared the poo poo out of me.

i was gonna guess the poo poo eating section

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
This thread got me back into reading. In fact i'd say it got me into reading!
So far I have managed to read a few pieces of literature.

Count of Monte Cristo
The Odyssey
Old Man and the Sea
Breakfast of Champions
Slaughterhouse-Five
Of Mice and Men
Crime and Punishment

Thanks for getting me into a fun hobby dudes.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tree Goat posted:

Yeah this is the one. The stuff that DisDisDis mentioned was also powerful but I usually dissociate myself from horrible poo poo like that or view it from an academic and not a visceral level. The poo poo eating tho triggered my gag reflex. It makes the shock stuff that Palahniuk throws in his books look laughable.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

Also I'm not sure if I'm misreading your post but I don't remember Pokler doing anything particularly vile. He didn't actually sleep with his Ilse if that's what you're referring to.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Tree Goat posted:

I don't remember it, time for a reread.

Jeep posted:

Also I'm not sure if I'm misreading your post but I don't remember Pokler doing anything particularly vile. He didn't actually sleep with his Ilse if that's what you're referring to.

I thought he did but it's been a while since I've read it.

e: wait yeah I remember it, that part was really something.

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 14, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
there is a very bad man w/ very bad opinions in the book club if you want to point at laugh fyi

and no its not me

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
That book looks bad

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CestMoi posted:

Read lots of poems by Sappho and also The Book of the City of Ladies by Christine de Pisan. I don't know if the second ones good but I'v heard it is and it's very very old and by a lady

Reading de Pisan now and if you still haven't read it it is extremely good. Much better than I expected. It starts with the author saying "welp I was reading some book that said all women were evil and wanton so I guess I better pray to God to see how I can atone for my lovely womanly existence" (<- this is the exact tone it is hilariously sarcastic). So then 3 ladies appear to her: Reason, Rectitude and Justice and start telling her stories about famous and awesome women in history (although I think most if not all are pulled from mythology?).

So far my favorite was a story about some Italian prince who was retreating from a battle so his mother tried to cut him off and implore him to go back and be honorable and fight. At first he ignores her so she lifts up her dress and is basically like "ok well the only place for you to go is back into my womb if you won't be a man!" and this shames him so much that he goes back and wins the battle and kills the enemy king and preserves the existence of Italy.

I just finished part 1 which is Reason telling her all these stories about women who did things as good or better than men, part 2 is I think about the strengths of women in particular and examples of that.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

My system of never actually reading a book but telling others to is finally paying dividends

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

That sounds sick as hell and I will read it when I am done very slowly reading SHakespeare plays and various things Ezra Pound wrote.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Poooy

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 24, 2019

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I just finished We Have Always Lived in the Castle, a book I wasn't expecting a lot out of but ended up really enjoying. The book captures the feeling of intense anxiety so well that it feels more like a glimpse into the mind of the author (rightfully so, given what I found out about Shirley Jackson's final years)

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I'm reading a book called Sudden Death by Alvaro Enrique. It's about a tennis match between the painter Caravaggio and the poet Quevedo to settle a duel over a drunken argument neither of them remember, played with a tennis ball made out of the hair of Anne Boleyn. It's pretty cool.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

thehoodie posted:

I'm reading a book called Sudden Death by Alvaro Enrique. It's about a tennis match between the painter Caravaggio and the poet Quevedo to settle a duel over a drunken argument neither of them remember, played with a tennis ball made out of the hair of Anne Boleyn. It's pretty cool.

that looks good, i put it on my list becuz it was translated by the woman who did some Roberto Bolano novels, so she must know what's up.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sitting down w some real literature tonite. what about you guys?

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Sitting down w some real literature tonite. what about you guys?

tHOSE LOOK COOL but please clean your workstation.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it certainly needed cleaned after I was finished :mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I'm reading Heart of Darkness. I'm a little surprised at how difficult it is to actually read in some ways. Like Conrad doesn't use particularly difficult words, but man some of these 2-2.5 page long paragraphs in my Norton edition are brutal. And yet it's all fascinating.

Also thank you to whoever in this thread recommended The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor to me a little over a year ago. I finally got around to reading that and enjoyed it quite a bit.