Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

http://videocardz.com/61005/new-amd-radeon-rx-480-3dmark-benchmarks

here's some actually realistic l@@k rare leaked benches, again showing what we expected, a dieshrink 290x/390x

still not sure about that media blackout by AMD though, these are far from apocalyptic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

here's some actually realistic l@@k rare leaked benches, again showing what we expected, a dieshrink 290x/390x

still not sure about that media blackout by AMD though, these are far from apocalyptic

It's looking like a good card at a good price, so I figure they probably want the performance numbers going out as close as possible to people who see them being able to buy them as possible. Hopefully that's true and they have the stock for that to be a concern.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

This zotac amp 1080 AIB just went up on Amazon for preorder, if you want to join me in the waiting for a delivery update hellish nightmare that I wake up to every day: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GCAVRSU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The product specifications on that page are super :effort:. It apparently has a gddr5 coprocessor! Graphics Card Ram Size 8 MB.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Chuu posted:

EVGA step-up program has one clause that scares me:

> Products known to have a limited availability will not be made available to the Step-Up program. (Limited availability determined by EVGA.)

There is a chance that 1080 stock is still pretty limited in 90 days.

I think that clause is more for limited edition or discontinued cards. EVGA staff on their forums said that the stock for sale and stock for step up are maintained separately, so step ups might be fulfilled while the site says out of stock, or the site might have cards for sale and no step ups available.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

When I can actually buy a 1070 AIB at a reasonable price? my 280x is dying. :(

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

I'm not completely up to speed with the newer Intel chips, but isn't the generational difference smaller after overclocking since the newer chips are closer to their max clock out of the box?

Clock for clock, Skylake is ~25% faster than Sandy Bridge. Not huge, but real. The big thing is that Intel had really been pushing the stock clocks higher - an OCd Sandybridge keeps up pretty well but a locked one doesn't do as well.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

afkmacro posted:

How is yours dying? I have two (7870s anyway) that died/went bad in a week and I was pretty surprised because I've never had a single video card failure in my life.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

This zotac amp 1080 AIB just went up on Amazon for preorder, if you want to join me in the waiting for a delivery update hellish nightmare that I wake up to every day: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GCAVRSU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The product specifications on that page are super :effort:. It apparently has a gddr5 coprocessor! Graphics Card Ram Size 8 MB.

Is Zotac overall a good brand, or did I just get real lucky with my current 970 Amp? I haven't had any coil whine or other issues and the card is very quiet, just wondering if that was normal.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Mr E posted:

Is Zotac overall a good brand, or did I just get real lucky with my current 970 Amp? I haven't had any coil whine or other issues and the card is very quiet, just wondering if that was normal.

The only solid complaints I've heard about Zotac in recent years is some strange SLI incompatibility with 970s. They seem to benchmark competitively (in terms of noise and so on) and are generally priced well, its hard to find a reason to hate on them. I don't put them in the same category as the "big names" but I dont really have great reasons for that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

afkmacro posted:

Unless something changed I believe the answer is "you cannot". The release was really just a few days ago, and right now the FE is the only card that has any availability, and even that is scarce at best. If you can limp along for a few weeks you may see some trickle out, though I think the manufacturers and retailers will continue to take advantage of the outstripped supply and charge a premium for a while.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

afkmacro posted:

Same boat here :smith:

I am sure you could get a FE card in hand pretty shortly but the partner cards won't be around for a couple weeks probably and they seem to be charging at or close to the FE price anyway unfortunately.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

How is yours dying? I have two (7870s anyway) that died/went bad in a week and I was pretty surprised because I've never had a single video card failure in my life.

The factory OC always artifacted but I never RMA'ed because I'm dumb. And now even underclocking doesn't reduce artifacts anymore, I'm now getting what can only be described as a flashing QR code in one consistent part of the screen (on different monitors and different PCs, OS, drivers). Temps are fine.

Lockback posted:

Unless something changed I believe the answer is "you cannot". The release was really just a few days ago, and right now the FE is the only card that has any availability, and even that is scarce at best. If you can limp along for a few weeks you may see some trickle out, though I think the manufacturers and retailers will continue to take advantage of the outstripped supply and charge a premium for a while.

This makes me sad. I really want the 1070 strix but asus doesn't have a release date and their forums don't even talk about it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Mr E posted:

Haven't heard any major issues with them and have been running a lot of their stuff (GPU/Motherboards) For years. They can be quite feature filled similar to say an ASRock board and such for the price (and their little Zbox systems are neato too).

However their 560Ti's did have a stupid fan bios limit of 50% which made them run hot as hell. It was fixable but can't be good for users who bought 2 for SLI and wondered why they went from nearly inaudible to Jet Engine with no variance between since the cards would overheat to Emergency Fan mode and back down during gaming.

Haven't heard of issues like that since, but it was sure silly.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

afkmacro posted:

The factory OC always artifacted but I never RMA'ed because I'm dumb. And now even underclocking doesn't reduce artifacts anymore, I'm now getting what can only be described as a flashing QR code in one consistent part of the screen (on different monitors and different PCs, OS, drivers). Temps are fine.

This makes me sad. I really want the 1070 strix but asus doesn't have a release date and their forums don't even talk about it.

Yeah I started getting bad behavior (just plain screen lag for basic things, alt tabbing, webpages) and then artifacting, then extreme artifactinig, constant driver failures. It was quite a decent. Then it happened again with another one lol. Oh well, they are old I guess. I'm now using a gtx 570...

There is supposed to be limited availability starting just yesterday with like one AIB (EVGA), the rest were trickling out over this week supposedly. Unfortunately the FE launch date itself was just last Friday so I wouldn't expect great stock choices for a little bit.

I actually got a phone call from somebody this morning that one brand was selling at 7pm EST on Newegg, I dont know if its true but if it is it will sell out in a minute.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 14, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

AMD doesn't want perf numbers to come out because they want it to be harder for NVIDIA to scoop their launch by announcing 1060 at the exact perfect Perf/$ level to make the 480 irrelevant.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Not bad at all, but the 1080 just makes everything look like poo poo, it's amazing. If it can get within striking distance of the 1070 with some overclocking as per the previous chart (a bit doubtful) it'd be a definite buy for me.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
If they actually sell those at $200 and you can actually get them, they will be popular and good.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Anybody using a 1080 ACX in a mITX case? Wondering how well it works, or if I should go for a FE.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If I'm buying a new monitor and a new GPU at the same time in the next few months, what would y'all recommend?

I've been using a 24" 1920*1200 display for a decade but it seems like all the new cards are overkill for that. Purpose is just general home use / gaming.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 14, 2016

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Hubis posted:

AMD doesn't want perf numbers to come out because they want it to be harder for NVIDIA to scoop their launch by announcing 1060 at the exact perfect Perf/$ level to make the 480 irrelevant.

It seems possible. The 960 launched at $199. If Nvidia launched a 1060 at $229 with similar performance to the 480 it would take a lot of wind out of AMD's sails.
The rumor right now is that the 1060 will be 1280 shaders with 6GB/192-bit memory,

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If I'm buying a new monitor and a new GPU at the same time in the next few months, what would y'all recommend?

I've been using a 24" 1920*1200 display for a decade but it seems like all the new cards are overkill for that. Purpose is just general home use / gaming.

I'm a shitter so I'll recommend a 21:9 3440x1440 monitor because they're just so much fun.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

And because 21:9 is badly implemented into games, I'll recommend the PB287Q 28" 1ms 4k gaming monitor.

OR

PB279Q 27" ISP 4k monitor.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ijyt posted:

I'm a shitter so I'll recommend a 21:9 3440x1440 monitor because they're just so much fun.

I did actually see a flat LG on sale for that on black Friday.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

These sell for $450 refurbed, though you need to keep checking for them to come in stock. I had luck in the mornings.
http://acerrecertified.com/UM.HB0AA.001

Pair that with a 1070 when they are available for around $400.

$850 for drat good 1440 setup. Or you could do a lot with a $200 27" Chinese Monitor and a $200 GPU too, totally depends on your budget.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

XB271HU monitor is only $666 on Newegg right now if you use a 10% off coupon code. :devil:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They're overkill right now, but who knows what'll be coming out a few years from now.

I don't know, I have a 24" 1920*1080 and it seems enough for me.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
1440p rules, I would suggest that.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Phlegmish posted:

No trouble on the gaming front?

Nope, couldn't be happier so far

Froist posted:

:hfive: 1070FE + i7-920 buddies! I got mine last night, and upgrading from a 560ti I'm really happy with it. 3D Mark graphics score (I know, benchmarks) went from 3322 to 17553, and despite all the chatter about the noisy FE cooler it's far quieter under load than the Asus DirectCU II cooler I had before.

I gave Project Cars a test and was sitting around 100fps with every setting maxed out, dropping down to 70s with the full rain effects on. Really looking forward to trying out Tomb Raider tonight, and borrowing the Oculus Rift from work for the weekend. I feel that may end in a slippery slope of me impulse-buying a steering wheel though..

I'm just wondering how much of a burden the CPU is now.. Given the core of my current build has lasted 6 and a half years, if I was to upgrade I'd want to maximise the longevity of it again. Pricing up a 6700K + Mobo + RAM + Ncase M1 (I really have my mind set on that if I rebuild, which then means a new PSU) comes to £840 and, while I could afford that, I'm not sure I can really justify it.

I actually think you may have had the exact same build as me, was your graphics card a GTX 760? Because the Asus 760 DirectCU II was what I pulled out of mine for the 1070. I can't read. :downs:

I've asked on the forums about the CPU as well and the general consensus seemed to be that it wouldn't make too much of an impact in the short term. Eitherway, I'm doing a similar price up, but opting for the 6600K because paying an extra £65 for an extra 500MHz doesn't seem worthwhile to me. First though I'm going to drop some cash on a G-Sync monitor because I'm using an old rear end Dell 24" from 2009 which is hardly ideal after buying a £400 GPU.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Linx posted:

I actually think you may have had the exact same build as me, was your graphics card a GTX 760? Because the Asus 760 DirectCU II was what I pulled out of mine for the 1070. I can't read. :downs:

I've asked on the forums about the CPU as well and the general consensus seemed to be that it wouldn't make too much of an impact in the short term. Eitherway, I'm doing a similar price up, but opting for the 6600K because paying an extra £65 for an extra 500MHz doesn't seem worthwhile to me. First though I'm going to drop some cash on a G-Sync monitor because I'm using an old rear end Dell 24" from 2009 which is hardly ideal after buying a £400 GPU.

You can just OC to 6700k clockspeeds anyway, that part is trivial. The only difference is 4 or 8 threads

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like 3rd time is the charm. Discouraged that my preorder for the FTW edition may be July at this point, I jumped on a Zotac FE that just popped up on newegg. It actually ends up being cheaper than the FTW due to no tax with Newegg.

It may end up being louder, but I don't really care at this point. I don't exactly have a silent PC anyways. There's just increasing evidence that none of the custom cards are going to have much headway over the founder's edition when it comes to OC unless you start getting crazy with cooling.

I'll keep the FTW order going until I get the Zotac card on the off chance it ships this week.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Give me 144hz or give me death.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Phlegmish posted:

They're overkill right now, but who knows what'll be coming out a few years from now.

I don't know, I have a 24" 1920*1080 and it seems enough for me.

Basically I just want to play the new Deus Ex game with max settings so maybe existing 1920*1200 monitor + new card (rx480?) will be just right.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Linx posted:

I actually think you may have had the exact same build as me. I can't read. :downs:
[snip]
I'm using an old rear end Dell 24" from 2009 which is hardly ideal after buying a £400 GPU.

Maybe you can read: minds. Sounds like I have the same monitor too (2412M). I'm definitely going to hang fire on that though - I have the tiny MacBook so if I was replacing my monitor USB-C would be the priority, and that market hasn't quite built up yet.

Froist fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 14, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
No one buy a monitor within the next 18-24 months if you can avoid it because HD Color is trickling down from the high-end TV space and that's going to make a bigger impact than anything else.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Froist posted:

Maybe you can read: minds. Sounds like I have the same monitor too (2412M). I'm definitely going to hang fire on that though - I have the tiny MacBook so if I was replacing my monitor USB-C would be the priority, and that market hasn't quite built up yet.

Hah so I'm not the only one -- mines a 2405fpw from 2005!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So, for those still stuck on 7970's (that's the 280x/380x basically, you just get 1 gig more vram for them), are you seeing the 480x as a worthwhile upgrade? I'm guessing we're looking at something like half the performance increase you'd get going to a 1070 instead? 1080p

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Lungboy posted:

For any UK types, Overclockers have cut all their 9xx prices pretty drastically. Still a bit high if the 480 delivers as expected, but the hell knows with amd?

Been keeping my eye on the MSI 970 Gaming 4G for a while and it is now about 10 quid cheaper, not particularly drastic enough for me so going to wait to see what the RX480 comes in at.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Hubis posted:

No one buy a monitor within the next 18-24 months if you can avoid it because HD Color is trickling down from the high-end TV space and that's going to make a bigger impact than anything else.

I really wish my monitor didn't have a scratch that's noticeable in it or I'd wait for this :(.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
In further "it's happening" news - MSI Golden Edition 980 Tis for $370 AR on NewEgg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm replacing an ATI card in my old, old computer (a Radeon HD 5770) with an nVidia card (GTX 750 ti).

Since I'm making the ATI to nVidia leap, do I need to like... purge any traces of ATI drivers from my computer first?