Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Muzzle brakes, recoil systems, semi-auto, and more than 5 shots are for Democrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
AK or get the gently caress out with your tactilol ARs.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yay gunchat.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

If it doesn't have a wooden stock I'm not interested.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

CommieGIR posted:

AK or get the gently caress out with your tactilol ARs.

fyodor posted:

Yay gunchat.

I'd bet you two would prefer the canal over the Horn as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SCA Enthusiast posted:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man I hate looking at craigslist.

Throwing the idea around of a fun car I can autocross, and came across this.

I was also thinking E36s, 944s, first gen Neon R/Ts for the budget option... budget would be like four grand, probably next year. It'd be nice to daily it though, at least sometimes. A cheap Cooper S would fit the bill nicely I think, though. And I'm familiar enough with them.

It'd be my fifth vehicle though, and I'm running out of space. My Challenger is my daily, my wife's Focus is her daily, the Volvo 850 is my winter beater and my old Ranger is my truck. Eventually I'd get rid of the 850 and Ranger and get a 4WD truck for a winter beater, but it'd be a bit more than I could get out of the 850 and the Ranger (which is 2WD).

I guess it's a good problem to have. Finances should be good next year for such a purchase.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

fyodor posted:

Yay gunchat.

I was thinking about taking leave during the 4th of July week, nothing special, just chilling and take a break from work; and looked at my PTO balance.

105 hours? What the gently caress? I've been working here 14 months and I've already taken like 20 hours.

I never actually paid attention during hiring to what my leave accumulation is like (because it's different depending on job title and seniority).
Just quickly calculated that I get 170 hours a year of leave, plus 18 hours of floating holiday. Jesus. What am I gonna do a MONTH of leave a year?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

Found Electric City (Akihabara) last night and went back today. I've never seen another place like it in my life. Literally any electronic item, component, and piece of tech you could dream of, all within walking distance of each other. Oh and more manga/anime (and other) then you could ever ingest in your lifetime. I bought a few models and toys for my son. Going back tomorrow to make sure we didn't miss anything and buy tools.

Don't forget to go to the Radio Centre market there because it blew my mind pretty hard.

There's a guy out front who sells desktop mini-mills that are the cutest little things I've ever seen.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Sigma X posted:

I was thinking about taking leave during the 4th of July week, nothing special, just chilling and take a break from work; and looked at my PTO balance.

105 hours? What the gently caress? I've been working here 14 months and I've already taken like 20 hours.

I never actually paid attention during hiring to what my leave accumulation is like (because it's different depending on job title and seniority).
Just quickly calculated that I get 170 hours a year of leave, plus 18 hours of floating holiday. Jesus. What am I gonna do a MONTH of leave a year?

Give it to meeee.

We only get like 1 week of PTO here

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CornHolio posted:

Man I hate looking at craigslist.

Throwing the idea around of a fun car I can autocross, and came across this.

I was also thinking E36s, 944s, first gen Neon R/Ts for the budget option... budget would be like four grand, probably next year. It'd be nice to daily it though, at least sometimes. A cheap Cooper S would fit the bill nicely I think, though. And I'm familiar enough with them.

Just be aware, that Mini's absolutely eat front tires when autocrossing. Like a set of Hoosiers will be cording after 30-40 runs based on what I've seen (disclaimer, I've never owned one - based on the results of numerous people in my area that autocross them).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SCA Enthusiast posted:

If it doesn't have a wooden stock and a lever or pump action I'm not interested.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

The Locator posted:

Just be aware, that Mini's absolutely eat front tires when autocrossing. Like a set of Hoosiers will be cording after 30-40 runs based on what I've seen (disclaimer, I've never owned one - based on the results of numerous people in my area that autocross them).

Really? Huh. Though I imagine autocrossing would eat tires on just about anything...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Sandbagger SA posted:

There's nothing wrong with the Mini 14 but it will never reach the level of popularity that ARs have achieved.

I'm 6' myself. That's not a problem though because AR's can be built with adjustable stocks that go from super short to ridiculously long.

I think if I didn't already have an AR I might be interested in a CZ 805 or a Sig.

Yeah, I could also buy a pair of AR's for the cost of the mini, which kind of limits their spread. Still nice.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sigma X posted:

Whaddup fellow shitload of vacation time haver :hfive:

8 weeks vacation plus 1 week personal/sick plus holidays. Bereavement and jury duty is separate.

Working for a European based company kicks rear end most of the time.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tide posted:

8 weeks vacation plus 1 week personal/sick plus holidays. Bereavement and jury duty is separate.

I thought you were European as soon as I saw that. Makes sense. 4 weeks and a decent amount of holiday time (13 days I think) here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tide posted:

Are they hiring? The last European based company I worked for tied compensation and vacation time to "local norms" which meant 2 weeks since that was the legal minimum.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Larrymer posted:

I thought you were European as soon as I saw that. Makes sense. 4 weeks and a decent amount of holiday time (13 days I think) here.

Civil service got me 4 weeks PTO plus 13 days liberal medical/health days, free time off to perform reserve military duty and every federal holiday.

Life's pretty good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I really, really hate the M-16/AR-15.

No really, its not a 'I hate guns thing' its a 'I hate firing those things'. I really liked firing the AK-47 and SKS.

Screw the AR. I hate having to go re-qual on them. I hate handling them. I hate the way they shoot.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

drat, I take 2 weeks off and come back to GunChat.txt. Ain't that some poo poo..

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

keykey posted:

drat, I take 2 weeks off and come back to GunChat.txt. Ain't that some poo poo..

Hello, what did you get up to these past two weeks?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Are they hiring? The last European based company I worked for tied compensation and vacation time to "local norms" which meant 2 weeks since that was the legal minimum.

I wish. We need people.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

88h88 posted:

Hello, what did you get up to these past two weeks?

Normal life stuff, nothing cool I can assure you. I usually only browse AI while I'm at work and we just finished moving a poo poo ton more servers to VM's since we've been planning it for the past year. What would take a normal business 1 week to say "Hey, this is the best move to make for cost effective reasons and it end users won't notice anything." and it's a done deal takes a college 1 year. You have to notify people, then they want to set up committee's for involvement which there are usually 1 for each competing faction on campus so students, faculty, classified, and management. Then they fight it out about what they want to get out of it and ask insane questions like will their VM be faster than the other VM. All the while you just sit back and think, goddamn I really hate government poo poo because everybody thinks they have to get political about simply moving some poo poo from 1 place to another to save money. Now I'm pretty sure we're way negative money because all those people got paid to sit on their asses and complain about poo poo that doesn't make a single bit of difference.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

Normal life stuff, nothing cool I can assure you. I usually only browse AI while I'm at work and we just finished moving a poo poo ton more servers to VM's since we've been planning it for the past year. What would take a normal business 1 week to say "Hey, this is the best move to make for cost effective reasons and it end users won't notice anything." and it's a done deal takes a college 1 year. You have to notify people, then they want to set up committee's for involvement which there are usually 1 for each competing faction on campus so students, faculty, classified, and management. Then they fight it out about what they want to get out of it and ask insane questions like will their VM be faster than the other VM. All the while you just sit back and think, goddamn I really hate government poo poo because everybody thinks they have to get political about simply moving some poo poo from 1 place to another to save money. Now I'm pretty sure we're way negative money because all those people got paid to sit on their asses and complain about poo poo that doesn't make a single bit of difference.

:doh: VMs are awesome, and why should they have any say on what their systems are hosted on outside of whether their application will be compatible with the move to VMs? (Hint: It will be)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
My in-laws are driving us nuts about a house.

Like 30 years ago, my father-in-law and his sister sold their mother's house. He wanted to keep it as a rental property, but his sister was adamant that they sell it. She refused to be bought out of her part of it and just wanted it sold. So, they sold it. Note: She also has a very low IQ, so it's literally like dealing with a child sometimes. She can't read and has a whole host of mental issues... mainly dealing with her mother. As in, she believes her mother, after dying, sent her her dog. Or her dog is her mother reincarnated. I forget which, but both are equally crazy. FIL has mom issues, too, but not quite that bad. Nashville is a hot spot now, so everything is through the roof pricing-wise. It's a cute house in the city, but a lot of houses are sold before ever coming on the market, bulldozed, and replaced with new construction.

Well, now the house has a sign in the yard saying "Coming soon" for sale.It isn't even for sale yet! So now she wants to buy the house, but can't because she makes no money (lives off of disability). Who needs a house? My wife and I. So the push is for us to buy it. Except, well, we can't. The house isn't on the market. I called, they plan to sell it for $199,999; the trend is to offer more than the asking price, so we'd have to start at 205k, minimum, for a house that last appraised for 85k in 2011 (if I'm reading zillow/trulia correctly).

I have zero interest in owning this house. I have no interest in paying 200+ thousand dollars for a house that last appraised for 85k and last sold for something like 150k. I have no interest in owning a house where the sister will go "You have to decorate this like momma had it," or "You can't tear down that wall in momma's house," or her telling our future kids that her mom died in the hallway (I don't even think she died in the house!) or any other number of crazy things that she'd do. Nor can I stand hearing my father-in-law say, "We should never have sold this house. You know back in the day..." literally every time he comes over or our house came up. Plus, we outright can't afford it. We looked into buying a family member's house last year, and with no down payment and mortgage insurance, the monthly payment was something like 1300 dollars a month, which we couldn't afford. Or we could, but then we'd not be able to do anything but pay utilities, mortgage, and eat at home with no TV or anything else we like to do. And that was for a house in the 180,000 dollar range!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

keykey posted:

This actually sounds rather similar to what happens at our university. I'm lucky we're not really involved in such things, I'm just trying to get the big boss to give us £100k for a new speaker setup as the one we currently have installed, he doesn't like (which is fair, it's installed badly and used by monkeys).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

QuarkMartial posted:

Like 30 years ago, my father-in-law and his sister sold their mother's house. He wanted to keep it as a rental property, but his sister was adamant that they sell it. She refused to be bought out of her part of it and just wanted it sold. So, they sold it. Note: She also has a very low IQ, so it's literally like dealing with a child sometimes. She can't read and has a whole host of mental issues... mainly dealing with her mother. As in, she believes her mother, after dying, sent her her dog. Or her dog is her mother reincarnated. I forget which, but both are equally crazy. FIL has mom issues, too, but not quite that bad. Nashville is a hot spot now, so everything is through the roof pricing-wise. It's a cute house in the city, but a lot of houses are sold before ever coming on the market, bulldozed, and replaced with new construction.

Well, now the house has a sign in the yard saying "Coming soon" for sale.It isn't even for sale yet! So now she wants to buy the house, but can't because she makes no money (lives off of disability). Who needs a house? My wife and I. So the push is for us to buy it. Except, well, we can't. The house isn't on the market. I called, they plan to sell it for $199,999; the trend is to offer more than the asking price, so we'd have to start at 205k, minimum, for a house that last appraised for 85k in 2011 (if I'm reading zillow/trulia correctly).

I have zero interest in owning this house. I have no interest in paying 200+ thousand dollars for a house that last appraised for 85k and last sold for something like 150k. I have no interest in owning a house where the sister will go "You have to decorate this like momma had it," or "You can't tear down that wall in momma's house," or her telling our future kids that her mom died in the hallway (I don't even think she died in the house!) or any other number of crazy things that she'd do. Nor can I stand hearing my father-in-law say, "We should never have sold this house. You know back in the day..." literally every time he comes over or our house came up. Plus, we outright can't afford it. We looked into buying a family member's house last year, and with no down payment and mortgage insurance, the monthly payment was something like 1300 dollars a month, which we couldn't afford. Or we could, but then we'd not be able to do anything but pay utilities, mortgage, and eat at home with no TV or anything else we like to do. And that was for a house in the 180,000 dollar range!

Yeah, don't do it. That sounds like a trap.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

:doh: VMs are awesome, and why should they have any say on what their systems are hosted on outside of whether their application will be compatible with the move to VMs? (Hint: It will be)

Logic means nothing here. The higher they climb the ivory tower, the more retarded they get. They really shouldn't have any say about what their stuff runs on because in the end our department ends up footing the bill. This should make you happy, we have 3 computer instructors here in their 60's and one of them called us last week pissed off because when she saves things to her C drive in her office it doesn't automatically show up on the classroom PC and it use to. We serve a special demographic here.

88h88 posted:

This actually sounds rather similar to what happens at our university. I'm lucky we're not really involved in such things, I'm just trying to get the big boss to give us £100k for a new speaker setup as the one we currently have installed, he doesn't like (which is fair, it's installed badly and used by monkeys).

We have a term we use for people like that called "learned helplessness." Oh, hello professor PHd, let me fix your sound/pc/every issue.. Let's see here.. Press the power button aaaaaand there you go.. Do you think you can remember that poo poo in the future? Of course not and we thought of that, you see that huge laminated paper attached to every podium that has operating instructions? No? Of course you didn't, because you can't be assed to read, you have a PHd..

keykey fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 14, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Its kind of funny because our Physics and Math department at Georgia Tech is full of tech nerds.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Liquid Communism posted:

That's actually the more merciful thing. We killed all their predators. If we don't kill enough deer, they'll overpopulate and die of disease, starvation in the bad years, and cars. A number of the diseases can jump to cattle as well, which is even more of a problem.

So you're saying we have to kill them or they will die?

Sorry, had to get the South Park reference out of my head and into yours.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Its kind of funny because our Physics and Math department at Georgia Tech is full of tech nerds.

That actually sounds pretty awesome. The majority of our instructors are aged out and the only ones that really get tech, unfortunately, are newer adjunct faculty. We had a guy that was pissed when we told him we can no longer limp his 16mm projector along. This was 2011.

edit: I wonder how much they are going to flip their poo poo in the next 3 months when we tell them they have 2 years to phase out their VHS-based instruction to DVD/Bluray?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

QuarkMartial posted:

Yeah, don't do it. The most important part of all of this is you recognize you can't afford it as is. If there was an issue you'd be up poo poo creek. Our neighbor just bought and moved into a house down the street about 4 months ago. So far they have discovered the sole previous owner rerouted the electrical around the meter to directly power the ac units and fried them, has had pipe issues inside the house needing repair, and yesterday discovered a pipe burst under the middle of his driveway. On top of his mortgage he is now looking at an extra 30k (so he said). In 4 months.

So what I'm saying is don't do it. Not unless you can truly afford it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

So how difficult is a clutch in a fwd van?

E: for someone who's never done a clutch, has no special tools, no lift or hoist?
It's a driveway job, but how much fun it is depends on access etc. I'm assuming this is the Multipla? I think it's entirely possible you'd be able to get a garage to do it for a low enough amount that it's not worth the hassle.

However, the usual rule can be applied, that for the cost of the garage labour, you can buy the right kit for the job, and then you have more toys.

ilkhan posted:

Gun people tend to get annoyed when non-gun-people start trying to talk about guns. Just like car people tend to get annoyed when non-car-people start trying to talk about cars and get all the terms wrong.
You're going to be seeing an awful lot more of that if this conversation progresses, I'm afraid. You can try to actually explain it, if you like, but I think you're on a losing streak to get through to many people.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

QuarkMartial posted:

Oh boy, this sounds like a disaster. Don't even entertain the thought or tell them you called about it. Hold your ground that you can't afford it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

QuarkMartial posted:

Don't even think about it. You don't owe your FIL or his sister anything, and putting yourself into a debt hole just to make them happy in some weird way is not a good life choice.

Just make up some bullshit like your hours got cut at work (even if they didn't) or that you have a secret family you have to take care of until someone else buys the house and they get off of your back about it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Or just simply say no. Done.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CornHolio posted:

Really? Huh. Though I imagine autocrossing would eat tires on just about anything...

It is certainly a good way to wear tires quickly, but the Mini has a reputation in the sport of going through the front ones anywhere from 2-4x as fast as most depending on who you talk to.

For reference, my CP car on Hoosier slicks was very fast for about 40 runs, pretty good through 80, and got really slippery by 100-120, but even then it would not be showing cord.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

keykey posted:

What would take a normal business 1 week to say "Hey, this is the best move to make for cost effective reasons and it end users won't notice anything." and it's a done deal takes a college 1 year.
If it makes you feel any better it's exactly the same at all levels and branches of government. Everything takes way longer than it should and costs several times what it should.

QuarkMartial posted:

My in-laws are driving us nuts about a house...
Whatever you do don't buy that house holy poo poo that's a ton of headache no one needs. If they can't understand "It isn't in our price range and we aren't interested" tell them to get hosed.

Want to lose faith in humanity?

Never taken someone off facebook so fast

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hey if anyone in the Chicago area wants a free Zeiss transmission electron microscope, hit me up.

• Locked thread