Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Chichevache posted:

In celebration of the upcoming UFC 200, UFC has hosted Mir vs. Lesnar 2 on youtube. If you haven't seen it before, it's basically 6 minutes of a human man locked in a cage with a 300 pound vanilla gorilla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TubJH4IMl54

I've always loved Seanbaby's description of this fight.

Seanbaby posted:

One criticism of Brock's fighting technique is his lack of patience. In his early MMA fights, he tended to frantically whack at his opponents like his mother just deleted his save game. This never really mattered since a sloppy half-punch from Brock Lesnar is an extinction level event for spinal fluid.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 11:20 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Hearsay posted:

This isn't height chat. It was where I went after work to be high and see people get hurt.
Now its pages of gunchat dogchat and heightchat.

gently caress up and post content.

I delight in your rage. Fits the thread.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

quote:

For a year and a half, Frank told everyone about how stupid Brock was for getting caught in such a basic kneebar. Frank also told everyone how awesome he was for pulling off such a brilliant kneebar. Being a dick is more of an art than a science. Brock's approach to the trash talking was more primal. He was going to revenge gently caress Frank Mir's corpse until his ghost had a baby.

:lol:

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Hearsay posted:

This isn't height chat. It was where I went after work to be high and see people get hurt.
Now its pages of gunchat dogchat and heightchat.

gently caress up and post content.

Along these lines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYV3jyHNdKU

Especially funny if you remember why they're opening a bottle

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Deviant-Art Artist found their work being used on a shirt from Hot Topic without his permission
Turns out Deviant Art has full rights to your artwork and can sell it royalty free to third parties

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kurieg posted:

Deviant-Art Artist found their work being used on a shirt from Hot Topic without his permission
Turns out Deviant Art has full rights to your artwork and can sell it royalty free to third parties

"I just read through the 'agreement' that DA has implemented"

You mean the agreement in plain English in an unobscure place on their website that you explicitly accepted by uploading your art?

Also if they've known since at least 2014 that Hot Topic has been "stealing" their poo poo, why are they just now putting the pieces together? Surely the artist contacted either Hot Topic or DeviantArt with a question to the effect of "hey guys you know that drawing I did of two licensed cartoon characters I don't own the rights to standing in a pose from an animated film I didn't make? Why is that on a T-shirt being sold in stores?"

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Cumslut1895 posted:

Especially funny if you remember why they're opening a bottle

I'll take your word for it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I dunno if that's true. I mean, if Deviantart can just sell your stuff like that.

Section 5 of the linked DA terms says DA needs the creators explicit consent (not just the consent granted by submitting the work) to do anything commercial with it, and section 3 binds any sub licenses to the same agreement that DA has. The creator initially said they did not give any consent so it’s a case of the t-shirt manufacturer stealing the art and selling it to hot topic right? So legally the creator is in the clear to pursue compensation over misuse of their work, at least as far as rights granted by DA goes I think? I might be wrong about that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

RareAcumen posted:

I dunno if that's true. I mean, if Deviantart can just sell your stuff like that.

Section 5 of the linked DA terms says DA needs the creators explicit consent (not just the consent granted by submitting the work) to do anything commercial with it, and section 3 binds any sub licenses to the same agreement that DA has. The creator initially said they did not give any consent so it’s a case of the t-shirt manufacturer stealing the art and selling it to hot topic right? So legally the creator is in the clear to pursue compensation over misuse of their work, at least as far as rights granted by DA goes I think? I might be wrong about that.

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/deviantart-hot-topic-shirt-art-stolen/

From a better news site than a freaked out tumblr post:

quote:

On their official Tumblr account, deviantART clarified the situation.

“We appreciate the rallying of the community around the rights of this artist. Rights and ownership of artwork are an important cause which we do not take lightly. DeviantART does not retain any ownership nor right to ownership of any artwork posted to deviantART. The point of question in our Submission Policy is one which gives us the right to present the artwork you submit to deviantART on deviantART.

By the same token, because we do not retain any ownership of artwork submitted to deviantART, we cannot license it to others either (be it individual or company) without the express permission and written agreement of the artist.”

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't get people who do this (granted, this is a statement that applies broadly in this thread). Is it just for the attention? To feed their own craziness?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N45-famr_Zk

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't get people who do this (granted, this is a statement that applies broadly in this thread). Is it just for the attention? To feed their own craziness?

I've long suspected what we're witnessing is Quantum dystonia, in which the patient only exhibits the effects when being observed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

I love how she has no control over her limbs but when all the flailing messes up her hair she expertly pushes it back behind her ear.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

DandyLion posted:

I've long suspected what we're witnessing is Quantum dystonia, in which the patient only exhibits the effects when being observed.

:golfclap:

Also, "people can believe what they want to believe" is my absolute favorite cop-out when someone's caught in a lie

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Basebf555 posted:

I love how she has no control over her limbs but when all the flailing messes up her hair she expertly pushes it back behind her ear.

That was my favorite part too. :buddy:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

I like how the artwork nicked is a rip-off (homage??) of a famous Totoro scene that they didn't create with three characters that they did also not create. A spot of cognitive dissonance there.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GrandpaPants posted:

That chick in Australia who spun a "health and wellness empire" based on her claim that she cured her imaginary brain tumor with healthy eating is currently loving up her court case by not bothering to turn up to the hearings, not getting representation and not filing a defence. The judge and prosecutor are being surprisingly patient about the whole thing but they're going to lower the hammer and impose at least a one million dollar fine pretty soon regardless of whether she turns up or not.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Who is this man smelling his own stank?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The german manager Joachim Löw .

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rondette posted:

I like how the artwork nicked is a rip-off (homage??) of a famous Totoro scene that they didn't create with three characters that they did also not create. A spot of cognitive dissonance there.

Well yeah, that's kind of their point, actually. They have the right to make their fan-art because it's fair use, they don't have the right to monetize it. Hot Topic doubly doesn't have the right to monetize it because it's simultaneously someone else's work and someone else's IP.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

Well yeah, that's kind of their point, actually. They have the right to make their fan-art because it's fair use, they don't have the right to monetize it. Hot Topic doubly doesn't have the right to monetize it because it's simultaneously someone else's work and someone else's IP.

Nobody wins :( (except Hot Topic it appears)

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Rondette posted:

I'm not saying this is high art, but I'd guess it meets the requirements for fair use.

Art will always rely on a cultural context, and it's scary how easily modern copyright law has changed how we view transformative works. Hate the manchild cartoon caracters in the anime setting. Hate DA. Hate its whole culture. It doesn't excuse stroke for stroke theft of someone's work.

Fair use does cover making money off of a work that meets it's requirements. That's what it's there for.

Clitch has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Jun 14, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kurieg posted:

Hot Topic doubly doesn't have the right to monetize it because it's simultaneously someone else's work and someone else's IP.

Hot Topic sell a shitload of AT-branded clothing so I'm assuming they'd have an actual licencing deal in place?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hot Topic sell a shitload of AT-branded clothing so I'm assuming they'd have an actual licencing deal in place?

Probably, but a licensing deal still requires an artist to give permission for their artwork to be sold. The artist herself would be violating the law if she attempted to sell her Adventure Time artwork without permission from Cartoon Network (though plenty of people still do this and there's a huge grey market in unlicensed artwork), but the company that produces the t-shirts (whether Hot Topic or an outside contractor that sells their shirts to Hot Topic for distribution) would still need to get permission from the creator of the image to sell it because a third-party produced the work. The fan art creator doesn't get carte blanche to sell their art of licensed characters without permission, but people who have a licensing deal with the owners of those characters also don't get carte blanche to steal fan art off the internet to sell.

I think Hot Topic's got a problem with art theft that's been coming out recently. The Tumblr post mentioned a past incident where Homestuck art was stolen.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

GrandpaPants posted:

she got some sweet dance moves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDCD2YYkvd8

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Zopotantor posted:

0'10" is not what it seems. The idiot instructor is telling them to turn left. Lone guy is the only one following the actual order, and not doing what they probably rehearsed before.

I'm pretty sure most of the videos in that compilation are mirrored, which means 0'10" is where everyone turns left except that one guy.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Centripetal Horse posted:

It's worth noting that, a mere three fights before this, Mir submitted Lesnar in the first round. That was Lesnar's UFC debut. In the intervening two fights, Brock Lesnar became UFC heavyweight champion, and improved his game enough to absolutely manhandle Frank Mir, who is a legend in the sport, and arguably the best grappler in the history of his division. Lesnar's day job may be fake as gently caress, but he is a ludicrously gifted athlete. He's also kind of a cock.

Brock's day job consists of him hunting moose, loving Sable, and occasionally driving two miles to the nearest telephone so he can find out what city he has to fly out to 4 or 5 times every few months.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
A good source from E/N. One of the poster's room mates decided to add on a room in their apartment with the most ridiculously constructed walls you can imagine and then try to sub lease a new person, completely on their own accord.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779396

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Parts Kit posted:

A good source from E/N. One of the poster's room mates decided to add on a room in their apartment with the most ridiculously constructed walls you can imagine and then try to sub lease a new person, completely on their own accord.

This is incredible.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Parts Kit posted:

I'm now on page three. You've just made my lunch hour loving great.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Parts Kit posted:

Holy poo poo, this is great :munch:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Nuebot posted:

I never knew Super Mutants were real. He punched that guy real good.

As much as I like Tom Hardy, I think Brock would've made an awesome Bane in TDKR

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

ringu0 posted:

I'm pretty sure most of the videos in that compilation are mirrored, which means 0'10" is where everyone turns left except that one guy.

Why would you mirror a video? :confused:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Zopotantor posted:

Why would you mirror a video? :confused:

It can fool automated copyright takedown software

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

GrandpaPants posted:

When it's a teenager I often wonder if they make up some bullshit lie to cover for something else then just keep doubling down.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

BOOTY-ADE posted:

As much as I like Tom Hardy, I think Brock would've made an awesome Bane in TDKR

Brock isn't even a good enough actor to speak convincingly as a wrestler without Paul Heyman as his mouthpiece

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Io_ posted:

When it's a teenager I often wonder if they make up some bullshit lie to cover for something else then just keep doubling down.

Yeah, like a Mr Bean sketch that ends up taking over their lives

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.

Parts Kit posted:

Thanks for this. I like reading threads like this; it reminds me of when I was young and did dumb things in the places I rented. It's too bad the OP is going to lose his deposit but maybe he will get lucky and won't be billed for the repairs.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Bit long, but I really enjoyed the US President just taking time out of his prepared speech to target one asshat and just generally as "What the gently caress people?" to everyone who's been bitching about him not saying "RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISM" like some kind of hosed up sovereign citizen magic word spell that will cause ISIL to disband because he uttered that magic phrase.

https://www.facebook.com/newshour/videos/10154278345773675/

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

In related news, ISIS leader and "Caliph" al-Baghdadi might be chunky salsa now. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/who-abu-bakr-al-baghdadi-8186998

Unconfirmed, but I want to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Colin Cowherd and Jason Whitlock both are opinionated douchebags who ESPN used as talking heads for ratings.

Fox Sports 1 poached them away for big money and put them on its new flagship TV show which aired for the first time yeaterday. Let's see how well they did.

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/742733006213918721

for those who can't do the convert, that's about 60k-70k viewers