Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Spawned an Andromeda
Had a couple friends crew it with me - another accompanied us in his Sabre.
Flew to Kareah because we heard some people were there.
Shot them all dead and took up stations.
Shot a few more that arrived. Then we left and started griefing players at the comm links
Had a few laughs and then got booted off the server because of a service restart.
It was a good time.

Epic space opera.

edit:

Cat Duck coalition.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

peter gabriel posted:

To save everyone time, this is how every vid they do goes:

where is doltvak? The salty asshat didnt get paid so he doesnt show or stream?

CIG pay Doltvak he is the most pee-imminent authority on cig and rsi in the universe. You cant have him go DS! pay the man!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SurfaceDetail posted:

Well since they announced it on 10ftd, you all are gonna be able to rebuy a couple of your old ships. Muahahahaha

I sat in on a meeting about how this was gonna work with the new ones last month

=havent decided whether to charge full price to owners of old ships. However i imagine theyll get some form of credit because thatd be too much even for whales. But varients will still be an upcharge

=since the old models look like poo poo they want to make sure the old ones dont get used. So they are prob down the line gonna nerf em into oblivion. So its like a "mueseum or bragging rights" piece. Remember all this was subject to change citizen.

= theyve been working on this poo poo for months. They still arent done, still think sq42 is coming out december?

You are gonna be asked to rebuy your imaginary spaceships for an mmo that will never exist.

You can't even have other people in your hangar that I am aware of. What the blistering green gently caress's the point of a bragging rights ship then?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Tippis posted:

I think you might be fibbing right now. I don't know why — it's just a gut feeling.

So you enjoyed something with less depth than CoD or battlefield, then. Wouldn't you prefer to play a game where you can do that, and more, and have it actually lead to something?

No see, logging into a game and having literally minutes of content where you do things that can be done in a ton of other games, except worse, is worth thousands of dollars to him.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

No - when I logon to these forums.

Working as intended.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

EminusSleepus posted:

I hope Cherrie Heiberg knows that her life aura is being sucked by the succubus every minute she works there in CIG

don't end up being an old hag like your HR/VP Marketing boss

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

MeLKoR posted:

libertarians are the scum of the earth second only to straight out fascists

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

ManofManyAliases posted:

You guys think I'm trying to detract from your circle-jerk, Kumbaya campfire here, so I don't want to argue the ToS anymore. I'm rolling with it.

but that is what you are here for toast? I dont understand?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SurfaceDetail posted:

Now on a level of 1 to troll how would yall feel if i told you i was MOMA

Because se thatd be pretty epic if true

Not so epic. I'd just suggest a different psych for your DID treatment.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

TTerrible posted:

I'm not sure it has been long enough since you pretended to be a paid shill getting brown envelopes of money and then posted your balls for people to buy this.

Never underestimate CIGs contempt for their backers. They get to sell new jpegs without the bother of making jpegs. Just tweak a few old and busted jpegs and you're good to go. The money keeps dribbling in from those guys in for thousands you have by the balls and Chris gets to fart around with his mocap some more without the trouble of telling some ship designer to redo it again. It's win-win!

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

That vid has 10x the views of his other stuff... I think he found his golden goose.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

I don't think it's the same cat.

Dunno. Looked like it to me.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

ManofManyAliases posted:

No - when I logon to these forums.

did u click ok to DS new ToS?
Oh you just posted so you did.

It says: go tell Sandi she looks like a 50 year old.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

thatguy posted:

Thread needs a title change Derek. Do your job.

If you need inspiration you could use any of the expected results from AP's posts.

Star Citizen: you shouldnt be able to do this

XK posted:

desperately flailing to buy time.

I'm partial to this one, not just because it's my own quote.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:perfect:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

No see, logging into a game and having literally minutes of content where you do things that can be done in a ton of other games, except worse, is worth thousands of dollars to him.

Ah, so it's more some kind of BDSM-spectrum thing: where most games would consider it outright shameful to deliver such a mediocre experience, these two have a symbiotic relationship of mutual rolling-in-pigswill-fetish. He wallows in subpar gameplay, and exchange, the game isn't shy about delivering it.

Well why didn't you just say so, Toast? You're in a safe place here — we don't kink shame. We just idiocy-shame, and doing that without any kind of kink to it would truly by indefensibly idiotic. Just be honest and you don't have to “roll with it” any more.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ha! As if I'd want to play with 12 year old scrubs on Call of Poopy!!!!!!!$@^##&!^

Now, leave me be so I can theorycraft with my 3 other buddies who have each dropped 3,000$ into this BRILLIANT MAATERPIECE. And after we've jerked eachother off as we chat about which ship is the best, we shall go forth into the world of Star Citizen and expertly glitch out our badly rendered characters. Ha. Ha. There go my ankles! I've never had so much fun experience the same broken game before but, after 6 months of constant poo poo I've come to know and accept this mediocre piece of media.

*fedora*

It seems my ride to burger king is here, so I must bid you adieu. No, I did not stop playing becauae I've been stuck in my wankpod for 30 minutes while fingering my own assholes out of sheer boredom, I have simply had so much fun that I must stop now else I shall be overtired and not available for tonight's episode of my little pony.

Oh, amd Derek Shart.

Weeeeeeee

Wait a minute! Casaba Outlet does NOT offer j/o crystals! You are an unbeliver! A heretic!

The Crobber protects!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen: Derek. Do Your Job.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
c'mon moma how can we talk about SC with you if you won't clarify the most important thing, do you think they have released a significant portion of the game?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

ManofManyAliases posted:

Spawned an Andromeda
Had a couple friends crew it with me - another accompanied us in his Sabre.
Flew to Kareah because we heard some people were there.
Shot them all dead and took up stations.
Shot a few more that arrived. Then we left and started griefing players at the comm links
Had a few laughs and then got booted off the server because of a service restart.
It was a good time.

Were you a part of this instance? https://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus/v/72239369

Because it looked like they were having a blast!!! Skip to 4:38:19!

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

:kayak:

Good work whoever got this

:kayak: :kayak: :kayak:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Goobs posted:

Woke up this AM and Kitsa was in visible pain, wouldn't move from his laying down position and wouldn't even eat his favorite treats. He was making a low growling sound every time he exhaled so we decided to take him in today.

Rest in peace Kitsa. My fuzzy bobble head friend. I'm a loving wreck right now.

From a few pages back but just wanted to say, huge bummer dude. Sorry.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

it sucks and it is hard. sorry for your loss.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Stop with the FUD.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Do you think rsi will try and sell more poo poo before the end? Like GUI skins or cockpit modifications?

Edit: I think Daztek is doing a private eye "are they related" thing.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

And you missed my point .... what do I have to compare ship prices to? On their own? No - probably not priced fairly. Compared to DLC? Still not priced fairly. Ship prices are not fair in that the comparison itself is not fair. But, they're also not required purchases since the only factor in acquiring a ship is time. I can wait forever to just "get" a DLC, and unless a company offers the DLC for free years down the road (BF4 did this with one campaign), I can't otherwise obtain it.

I disagree that comparing star citizens ships to standard AAA DLC is unfair. Even giving the benefit of the doubt and saying all of the ships can be earned in game, several games have the option to instantly unlock equipment or levels quickly for a fee. In most games this is around $5-20. Even if the ship purchases just unlock content faster, the price is still ridiculous.

However, CIG has also been in the habit of selling "Limited" ships that are only available to a set number of players for a fee of up to $2500. As these ships cannot be earned in-game, this is like the DLC found in god knows how many games that provide a character/quest/equipment that is otherwise unable to be earned in game (think Mass Effect 3's additional character). Naturally completionists would mark these as essential purchases. With that in mind, CIG's prices are insane.

I think we both agree that the additional ships are overpriced, regardless of how they turn out in the final product. My point wasn't that star citizens ships are a mandatory purchase (no DLC is mandatory). My point is that, even by the exploitative standards of the AAA game industry, Star Citizens optional purchases are ridiculously expensive and predatory.

Hopefully I've made my point more clear.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ShredsYouSay posted:

Do you think rsi will try and sell more poo poo before the end? Like GUI skins or cockpit modifications?

They would, but their IP range has become so associated with pictures of generic grey sci-fi scaffolding over at google image search that, no matter what they search for, that's all that shows up. This puts a bit of a damper on their efforts to find good UI elements to steal be inspired by.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah but fart shitizen has 10x the polygons, some of them aren't even grey! More equals better than sorry cod

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Nation posted:

c'mon moma how can we talk about SC with you if you won't clarify the most important thing, do you think they have released a significant portion of the game?

No

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Can you hide in a box in a space hulk for literal hours waiting for someone to pick you up so that you can steal their ship in Call of Duty? :colbert:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Thus the TOS is invalid right?

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

They should just plaster Gary's face texture all over the cockpits. Then he will technically be in the game.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
No, because CIG cleverly stated that they had to tell us when they were stopping development before we could get a refund. :smug:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Serious question: Are those CoD headshots in-engine? That hair looks way too good.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Nyeehg posted:

I disagree that comparing star citizens ships to standard AAA DLC is unfair. Even giving the benefit of the doubt and saying all of the ships can be earned in game, several games have the option to instantly unlock equipment or levels quickly for a fee. In most games this is around $5-20. Even if the ship purchases just unlock content faster, the price is still ridiculous.

However, CIG has also been in the habit of selling "Limited" ships that are only available to a set number of players for a fee of up to $2500. As these ships cannot be earned in-game, this is like the DLC found in god knows how many games that provide a character/quest/equipment that is otherwise unable to be earned in game (think Mass Effect 3's additional character). Naturally completionists would mark these as essential purchases. With that in mind, CIG's prices are insane.

I think we both agree that the additional ships are overpriced, regardless of how they turn out in the final product. My point wasn't that star citizens ships are a mandatory purchase (no DLC is mandatory). My point is that, even by the exploitative standards of the AAA game industry, Star Citizens optional purchases are ridiculously expensive and predatory.

Hopefully I've made my point more clear.

Cool - I don't bash you for your opinion. But I do want to clear something up: those ships are earnable in game. That includes the Idris, Scythe and the Javelin. We have been told that any ship offered now for cash is obtainable in game.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Toops posted:

I have a theory about this. I believe they have scaled everything in the PU waaaaay down from the core game engine unit. It's a shoe that fits both the horrible inaccurate and buggy collision detection, pervasive clipping issues, and the general balsa-wood physics issues.

I've used delved pretty deep into Nvidia Physx (the industry standard physics engine, used by both Unity and Unreal Engine), and you start seeing terminal weirdness when you scale your entities down too small. Each physics tick is normalized to the standard game engine unit (both distance and mass), so if you scale down too small, your entities approach the error margins inherent in the underlying algorithms. So you see things like objects just zipping through walls, strange impulse forces that knock you way back instead of just bump you, ships spinning off like a toenail off a clipper, etc.

Of course, it might not be this. It could also be the fucky netcode and the fact that they're not using "super-cutting-edge" technologies to deal with latency, like dead reckoning.

This is in accordance with my own theory. I'm not a gamedev, but let's take a trip down memory lane to another wonderful game developer, Piranha Games, and their lovely title, Mechwarrior Online.

See, Mechwarrior Online also uses CryEngine, sparing no expense to have made it able to handle 24 players at a time but no more than that on a map. In MWO, you pilot a bigass mech. But in early version of the game, even after the Beta "ended," there were serious problems about how the crosshairs worked.

When Star Citizen released their FPS elements, they also had serious problems with multiple crosshairs, or inaccurate crosshairs, or crosshairs that were waaaaay off the mark. This got me thinking about one of the problems faced by :pgi: with MWO: the engine limitations for map sizes and specifically for map height.

In CryEngine, there is no maximum map height as its own metric. Anything about about 4012x4012 units (standard "unit" is 2m) becomes unrunnable and is not recommended in CryEngine's own documentation. Map height is controlled by the terrain height settings, which give another 255 units to work with, and the skybox sits just above the terrain height max. The problem is that over a terrain height of about 50 units, rendering shits itself.

So what do you do if you want to make things seem big as hell without breaking your rendering above certain heights? You fudge with the unit size. By making everything super small, and adjusting the unit sizes accordingly, you can do what MWO did, which made 90' tall robots a mere 6' tall in relative engine unit size. The problem? The original crosshairs had been tied to the player viewpoint, but the player was now super goddamn small relative to the giant mech - so small, in fact, that the crosshairs couldn't track so finely and became unworkable. They fixed this by fixing the crosshairs relative to the cockpit - the player model in which you sit is just a point of view reference, but you are your mech.

Now, here's what set off my "oh god, no, don't do that Chris no don't aaaaagh" sensors, which I called out at the time as well:

One million km square and 200,000 height!? Sounds like they have found a way to get past the 4096x4096 unit size, right? Oh god, what it they just shrank everything down by 250x?????? 2m tall man becomes a 0.0008m tall man! No problem!

And then the engine shits itself because it can't handle that level of precision. And then you get collision errors because the engine is built for a unit size of 2m and you're running around with dudes that are 0.0008m tall. The maximum size of a CryEngine "world" is 64 maps of 4096 x 4096 x 255 (8024m x 8024m x 500m) and the Cryengine documentation itself says that anything bigger than that is completely unworkable.

But they have the crack CryEngine dudes there!

Okay? And that means they have a staff comprised of the very guys who wrote the documentation saying "there's no way around this it's a rendering nightmare to try." So they end up using a PGI solution.

But instead of a maximum of 24 players trying to track a scaling of a mere 3rd or 6th of the normal size, you have an attempt at even more players trying to track the location of objects that are 1/250th of their original size.

The result?

Star Citizen.

To be clear, this is speculation from an industry outsider who is only vaguely aware of mechanics and limitations, but not the reasons why, due to previous experience heckling poorly though out decisions involving CryEngine and the research resultant from that. While I don't know anything about game development, I also didn't make a product as bad as Star Citizen, so I mean, that would definitely be on my game dev resume.

Paramemetic:
Languages:
Python, some Javascript, Tibetan
Projects:
FrogBear, GoatCore (Project Manager)
Achievements:
Did not make Star Citizen

Edit: corrected some numbers

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 14, 2016

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Nation posted:

Thus the TOS is invalid right?

That's not for me to decide. It appears as a valid Terms of Service when you continue to use services or expressly click Accept.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Can you hide in a box in a space hulk for literal hours waiting for someone to pick you up so that you can steal their ship in Call of Duty? :colbert:

I've tried to imagine that game play scenario, and it seems to involve sitting in front of your computer for hours, staring at the inside of a box, trying to guess the right moment to pop out when someone might have stolen your ship by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Paramemetic posted:

One million km square and 200,000 height!?

They chopped the height because of the going underwater issue in Cry Engine. I'm joking, but I wouldn't even slightly be shocked if it were the actual truth.

• Locked thread