Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I get that you really love Chrome OS, but even Google has already admitted it's a bad idea: by moving to having the devices run Android apps. This completely eliminates the supposed benefit of everything running in Chrome and just makes them half-assed Android devices with a better version of Chrome installed compared to normal Android Chrome (which kinda sucks because it's pointlessly limited). Once again, hopefully they'll finally admit they hosed up and just straight up do it as Android, which has always been massively more popular than Chrome OS.

And no, Chrome OS is a terrible thing to recommend to people with limited computing experience, because it is a bad product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Please stop responding to fishmech.

Seriously, for someone who obviously lives behind a computer he really doesn't understand them.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So is the Shield K1 really the only viable non-Samsung, non-Kindle, non-cheapchinashitbox 8" tablet out there these days?

Don't get me wrong, I think they're great (I have an OG Shield Tablet, myself), but the market seems REALLY drained right now.

I'm specifying non-Samsung/Kindle because my FIL is used to stock Android (his 2013 N7 just poo poo the bed).

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Seem to have a weird bug with the Pixel C that I haven't had on my phone at all. When I would turn out a bluetooth audio output device (headset, speaker, etc) it doesn't hand off the audio to it's own speakers. I've gotten really use to turning off my headset and then hitting play on a youtube video to play something with the device speakers on my phone, but the Pixel C seems to just be silent. Anyone experience this? Reconnecting the device seems to make it work on the external just fine, but even if I pause and disconnect via the OS it seems to be silent after I hit play again. Closing the apps using audio and reopening them doesn't change anything either :ohdear:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

So is the Shield K1 really the only viable non-Samsung, non-Kindle, non-cheapchinashitbox 8" tablet out there these days?

Don't get me wrong, I think they're great (I have an OG Shield Tablet, myself), but the market seems REALLY drained right now.

I'm specifying non-Samsung/Kindle because my FIL is used to stock Android (his 2013 N7 just poo poo the bed).
You know how no one but Samsung and Apple can make money selling phones? It's like only the market is largely saturated and purchase cycles are much longer.

Nvidia only even bothers since they make their own chips and it's a good way to show them off.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Yeah, you can, because it's no longer 2010. But you could also buy a $200 Linux machine running a full Linux OS and run Chrome on it, and it's simply all around better than Chrome OS.
Tell this to my Dad who doesn't understand anything about computers. Have fun teaching him to install and use Linux and not break the entire thing without a week.

ChromeOS is a fantastic product for non-technical users.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tunga posted:

Now that you can get Android Apps ChromeOS is a great product for everyone and can satisfy most every workload except gaming and non-web software development.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tunga posted:

Tell this to my Dad who doesn't understand anything about computers. Have fun teaching him to install and use Linux and not break the entire thing without a week.

No one needs to learn how to install Windows to use Windows, why do you think you need to learn how to install Linux to use Linux? Especially when you would just set it up for him so it has a big ol menu that says INTERNET and goes to Chrome and maybe some manner of of other application.

People grossly overestimate how stupid people are, and how hard computers are. Literally billions of people out there are using the supposedly too complex Windows OS for instance. Even more billions are using Android, which is a full and complete operating system as well.

Stick100 posted:

Now that you can get Android Apps ChromeOS is a great product for everyone and can satisfy most every workload except gaming and non-web software development.

Which goes to show that Chrome OS was very bad as its original idea, and is only salvageable by making it a more awkward way to run Android applications. Just make it Android full stop and it would be much better.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Heck, I'm a very technical user and my chromebook is my second most used PC-ish device besides my desktop. I weep at the money I wasted on my XPS 13.

I get lots of utility out of it because I already use web apps for almost everything I do besides development work.

It's just such a low-friction device, and the low-friction-ness of it is just something that many types of technical people don't "get" as being important.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Even though Chromebooks are obviously a good thing, they'd be even better if they ran Android and Android worked well in that form factor and mobile Chrome wasn't absolute poo poo.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I'm glad I'm not the only one who realizes he's batshit insane. :)

Thermopyle posted:

Heck, I'm a very technical user and my chromebook is my second most used PC-ish device besides my desktop. I weep at the money I wasted on my XPS 13.

I get lots of utility out of it because I already use web apps for almost everything I do besides development work.

It's just such a low-friction device, and the low-friction-ness of it is just something that many types of technical people don't "get" as being important.

Thermopyle posted:

Even though Chromebooks are obviously a good thing, they'd be even better if they ran Android and Android worked well in that form factor and mobile Chrome wasn't absolute poo poo.

You hit the nail on the head, and it's sad when people are too stupid to understand this. :eng99:

AlexDeGruven posted:

There's the Acer Predator 8 I suppose, which is their direct Shield competitor. It's not as good as the Shield, but it's an alternative at least. :shrug:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Thermopyle posted:

Google thinks Chrome doesn't need extensions on Android because apps.

This makes me question the wisdom of recreational marijuana in California because Google is making decisions while clearly stoned off their fuckin' gourd.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Google thinks Chrome doesn't need extensions on Android because apps it would let people block adwords and tracking.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Atomizer posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who realizes he's batshit insane. :)

He's Fishmech, most of us know not to engage. ;)

Atomizer posted:

You hit the nail on the head, and it's sad when people are too stupid to understand this. :eng99:

I'm not sure I agree. The best part about ChromeOS is the simplicity and for all of Android's strengths, simplicity isn't one of them. While ChromeOS could be tightened up in places (my biggest complaint is the way they try to present weblinks as apps when the kind of user who would most benefit from ChromeOS would either be confused by that or know that's wrong) it's still the perfect Momputer. Every elder I've recommended a Chromebook/box for has loved the experience and glad to be rid of their cryptolockered Windows box.

MikeJF posted:

Google thinks Chrome doesn't need extensions on Android because apps it would let people block adwords and tracking.

Yep.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
My ChromeOS use case is to only barely use ChromeOS itself as a platform to run real Linux apps on, because ChromeOS has HiDPI and touchscreen stuff on lockdown. Makes it a pretty perfect platform for me, and I'm deep into the power user classification.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I didn't realize there were so many people who voluntarily did not use Firefox on their various android devices. I can't even imagine life without ublock origin :sad:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

Syrinxx posted:

I didn't realize there were so many people who voluntarily did not use Firefox on their various android devices. I can't even imagine life without ublock origin :sad:

I had Firefox installed in case I ever had a usecase for it, but I removed it on my tablet once the Search + B shortcut never saved that Chrome should be the default.

Speaking of issues, my audio issue seems to not exist anymore after installing Android N. I also updated two bug updates in a row last night and forgot to test :iiam:

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Syrinxx posted:

I just use Netguard's ad blocking instead. And it's system wide!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

MikeJF posted:

[It is hard to quote edited quotes.]

Hanlon's Razor says don't pin on malice what can be explained by neglect or folly.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 15, 2016

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Horn posted:

I just use Netguard's ad blocking instead. And it's system wide!

I have heard those are hard on the battery.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a or had experience with a Lenovo Tab 2 A10 10" tablet? It has a 1080p ips screen, 2gb ram, 16gb storage, with a mSD slot. Thinking of getting one as a gift for my mother who's Nexus 10 screen has like completely yellowed (Think it's from her smoker's fingers.)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

LastInLine posted:

He's Fishmech, most of us know not to engage. ;)

I'm not sure I agree. The best part about ChromeOS is the simplicity and for all of Android's strengths, simplicity isn't one of them. While ChromeOS could be tightened up in places (my biggest complaint is the way they try to present weblinks as apps when the kind of user who would most benefit from ChromeOS would either be confused by that or know that's wrong) it's still the perfect Momputer. Every elder I've recommended a Chromebook/box for has loved the experience and glad to be rid of their cryptolockered Windows box.

Well yeah, I didn't know any better, this was my first [rude] introduction to him. :shrug: At the beginning I just thought I was having a productive discussion on a subject I'm interested in. We all saw how that turned out.... :rolleyes: The best part is that I simultaneously got in an equally retarded shitfest with him in another thread about Windows (and as you might've guessed, he also doesn't know what he's talking about there either! Shocker! :jerkbag: Check his post history!)

I had to go back up to therm's quote to see what you were getting at. The "Chromebooks should run Android [and Android should be better in the first place]" was like the one thing that I didn't actually agree with (just because I'm satisfied with ChromeOS for my purposes) but I do agree that Android (and mobile Chrome) have plenty of room for improvement.

Syrinxx posted:

I actually recently started using the Adblock Browser, which is based on Firefox. I used to use the sideloaded Adblock app but had to uninstall it as it was responsible for various system-wide connection issues (e.g. not letting at least one third-party widget access its API.) I might have to try Firefox proper (which I've used in the past on Android) with ublock; I wasn't aware that Firefox mobile had plugin support!

As it stands, I use Chrome for normal browsing, and to sync browser history (i.e. typically finding an article that I want to read later on a Chromebook.) I've been using the Adblock browser, which I think is a little slow but functional, for pages that are ad-laden. I otherwise don't have a problem with sparse, tasteful, unintrusive ads.

As far as mobile browsers go, how do you like Opera, by comparison? Any other good competitors?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I had to laugh, because as he was making GBS threads up this thread and going back and forth with you he managed to do the same to the drug legalization thread and he got that one closed.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I had to laugh, because as he was making GBS threads up this thread and going back and forth with you he managed to do the same to the drug legalization thread and he got that one closed.

Lol yeah, I checked his post history and saw that he was talking about "the primary usage of cough syrup" :rolleyes: in a drug thread, the latter fact suddenly explaining a lot.

Holy poo poo, >65 posts/day?! Over 237 THOUSAND posts?!?! The autism is real.... :stare:

Anyways, sorry for this derail.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Atomizer posted:

Lol yeah, I checked his post history and saw that he was talking about "the primary usage of cough syrup" :rolleyes: in a drug thread, the latter fact suddenly explaining a lot.

Holy poo poo, >65 posts/day?! Over 237 THOUSAND posts?!?! The autism is real.... :stare:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2006

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Keep in mind that account was trained to Coupons for a few years so he had to use parachutes.

I love fishmech. He is a Something Awful treasure

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I love fishmech. He is a Something Awful treasure

This is the truth. For all his faults, I think fishmech is one of my favorite posters.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

:magical: I had no idea....

Does "trained to coupons" mean his account was restricted to posting only in the Coupons sub-forum?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Does "trained to coupons" mean his account was restricted to posting only in the Coupons sub-forum?
Yes

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
drat, I guess Nvidia doesent make a 32GB Shield K1? I know I can just get the 16 and use a good SD card as internal storage now with 6.0, but that feels kinda sketchy to me...

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

drat, I guess Nvidia doesent make a 32GB Shield K1? I know I can just get the 16 and use a good SD card as internal storage now with 6.0, but that feels kinda sketchy to me...

This is what it comes to after years of consumers screaming that they absolutely needed expandable storage, they finally give in and decide it is 'sketchy'.

It's the beginning of the end.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Budgie posted:

This is what it comes to after years of consumers screaming that they absolutely needed expandable storage, they finally give in and decide it is 'sketchy'.

It's the beginning of the end.

Expandable storage the way it used to work, when it was basically just for music movies and pictures, is fine. Making it a full blown part of internal storage sounds like your asking for trouble if it dies.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Expandable storage the way it used to work, when it was basically just for music movies and pictures, is fine. Making it a full blown part of internal storage sounds like your asking for trouble if it dies.

That and people will buy the absolute shittiest, slowest, cheapest card they can find and then bitch and moan that their phone/tablet is slow.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rather than this pretend-the-SD-is-internal malarky google needs a framework where duplicatable application data for large apps (games) can be set to automatically store on the external whilst user-created data and config is stored internally.

Google's current philosophy is that it should all be clouded to their servers and local memory wipe should be incidental, though, which is why local getting less reliable is irrelevant. The same device-as-terminal stuff they've always peddled. If your SD card goes when the memory is integrated, pull it, reset the phone to factory, reload from the big G.

After all, it's not like you need all that extra space, all your media and photos streamed straight from and to the Google Play cloud, right? give us your data give it to us

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 20, 2016

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
But what if I want to play games on my tablet

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Is there a decent Android tablet, preferably 8"+ that does LTE? Nothing big seems to have LTE.

I dropped my Asus tablet and broke the digitizer, and I just went with Project Fi, so I'd like to replace it with something that can use it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Nvidia Shield is 8" and does LTE

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Have had nothing but problems with my Shield tablet (32 GB LTE model), both pre-recall model and post-recall replacement. Hardware specs look great but usability is terrible - random lag/freezes, poor battery life, weak wifi reception. Bleh.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I'm not in love with mine either to be honest. I was about ready to scrap my current one after it had the same sim/wifi problems as my previous one, but somehow it righted itself and I'm still using it. It's pretty ok for most things I guess, but I am pretty much just waiting for the day when it shits itself again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

Nvidia Shield is 8" and does LTE

Did LTE. You have to find a preowned one as the LTE model was discontinued. I picked one up at Swappa and it works really well, but I've heard a lot of issues with Wifi. I guess I'm lucky enough to have a small living space where I don't notice it.

minusX posted:

Speaking of issues, my audio issue seems to not exist anymore after installing Android N. I also updated two bug updates in a row last night and forgot to test :iiam:
This came back and apparently it was an issue with always on mic for Google Now and having the laptop sleep for >hour, the speaker would stop responding and BT still worked fine which is why I assumed it was related.