Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

OwlFancier posted:

For the howevermanyth time, donating blood is not a right. The restriction is based on a statistical fact about HIV rates which I would much rather wasn't true, but my preference on the matter won't change whether it is or not, though with luck medical advances may, one day.

There is a difference between my demanding a right to which other people are entitled, where the right exists to better the circumstances of the right holder, on the basis that there is no even remotely academic reason why I should not have that right. And my saying that I should have the right to do something which is intended for the benefit of others, because I wish it to be for my benefit, while likely having little impact either way for the intended beneficiary.

Demanding the right to donate blood misunderstands the point of blood donation. It is not for the benefit of the donor. It seems absolutely incorrect to me to demand the right to do it on the basis that it's discriminatory not to let you do it. With just about every other commonly discussed issue it makes perfect sense. We should be able to marry, to adopt, to work and to speak and to do every other thing, the purpose of which is to enrich ourselves, those rights exist to promote the wellbeing of people and our people have as much right to be well as any other. But LGBT people have no more of a right to give blood than cis, hetero people do. Giving blood should be 100% contingent on the utility of that donation.

So again, yes the rules should be changed if there is a demonstrable medical benefit to do so, which I can understand in some cases. But absolutely not because of a perceived right to participate in blood donation, which absolutely nobody on earth should have. The entire concept just doesn't fit into the framework of civil rights.

Hey jackass no one is saying its a civil rights issue. It's just stupid that as someone who is low-risk for HIV that I'm forever barred from donating blood because I occasionally engage in consensual sex with my husband. A prohibition that magically disappears if I lie about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tatum Girlparts posted:

in this context it absolutely is unless Owl also wants black people to not give blood.

Black people weren't barred from donating blood in the first place though.

I'm not saying the prohibition is good at this point. It's stupid, it serves no purpose, and it discriminates for no reason. However, at the time the prohibition was introduced it made sense to do it because we didn't have the testing capability we do now, and we knew much less about what HIV/AIDS was. Clawing back that prohibition is needlessly difficult because it involves a lot of bureaucracy, and they are afraid of the liability that could presumably occur if even one HIV infection is traced back to a gay man giving blood.

Again: the prohibition should not exist, and if it were to be introduced today, it would be a moral judgement. I'm just saying the fact that it continues to exist is due to other stupid factors.

I will grant you that anyone who's actively arguing in favour of keeping the ban is probably making a moral judgement.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I still see little reason to change it unless having gay men donate is going to make a significant difference to the blood supply's availability.

If you are in need of blood in a specific area or at a specific time then yes, lift it, because obviously the lack of blood poses a greater risk than the risk of infectious disease.

Otherwise, as with all of the risk categories, donation while being a member of one should be discouraged, because there is no reason to increase the possible risk if you don't need the blood.
We are literally always in need of blood, so. There you go, lift it.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Calm down fags, it wasn't even an attack on a gay bar.

https://twitter.com/dnewhauser/status/742808869487939585
https://twitter.com/dnewhauser/status/742809565763362817

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

I had no idea that Latinx people can't be gay. This changes EVERYTHING

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

EXAKT Science posted:

you get ONE minority, ONE! It was Latinx night, so it's not a gay bar!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

LO-loving-L. Yeah, and all the drag shows were just for the "young people". (I say this seriously, a number of well-known drag queens made Pulse their home, performed there, or had friends in the club and have been deeply impacted by the Orlando shooting.)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Combed Thunderclap posted:

LO-loving-L. Yeah, and all the drag shows were just for the "young people". (I say this seriously, a number of well-known drag queens made Pulse their home, performed there, or had friends in the club and have been deeply impacted by the Orlando shooting.)

yea wasn't Kenya Michaels doing a show there on the night it went down?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
There were also trans performers there on the night of the massacre.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Is "Latinx" really a thing? Just say "Latin@" if you want to cover both possible endings.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

PT6A posted:

Is "Latinx" really a thing? Just say "Latin@" if you want to cover both possible endings.

"Latin@" excludes non-binary identities.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PT6A posted:

Latinx is meant to include not just 'latino' and 'latina' but nonbinary/etc people too.

Also Latin@ sounds like the name a terrible Latina DJ would have

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EXAKT Science posted:

I suppose it does. How would a non-binary Latin person be referred to in spoken conversation? Is there an ending, apart from o/a that would be used in that case?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

EXAKT Science posted:

I have an ex who won't like this news. :ohdear:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PT6A posted:

I suppose it does. How would a non-binary Latin person be referred to in spoken conversation? Is there an ending, apart from o/a that would be used in that case?

Probably exactly as you just did, Latin person, or like, 'from (wherever they're actually from)' or something. I've heard people say 'latin-ex' out loud and it sounds fine but I have no clue if that's a 'thing' or just something they do.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
In keeping with the thread title the BBC did a pretty interesting interview with a Lesbian Iranian woman and her mother.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36388507

quote:

After Sunday's attack on a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, where 49 people were killed by a gunman, vigils in the US, UK and elsewhere have shown solidarity and support for LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) people worldwide.
But in Iran, committing homosexual acts can incur the death penalty, and being gay can put severe strain on family relationships. Sara, who is 23, has lived in her mother's house with her girlfriend for four years. Here, both mother and daughter explain how difficult their life has become.
Sara

"I was about 11 or 12 when I first fell for a woman. I told my cousin and her reaction was shocking - she called me a hamjensbaaz or human being. I didn't realise it was an insult back then but I knew that if I told anyone else they would make fun of me.
I once told my personal trainer that I had feelings for her and she told me to read the Koran.
I knew for sure that I was gay when I met my partner, Maryam, four years ago. We chatted online and when we went on our first date I saw a schoolgirl who was so delicate, so tiny! I was mesmerised by her beauty thinking, "Is she really going to be my girlfriend?"
My mother listens to our intimate phone conversations. Sometimes in the morning she checks our bedroom, looks at the pillows and says, "Why do you two sleep too close to each other at night?" Or she suggests that the bed is too small and one of us should sleep somewhere else. She comes into the room without warning and makes sure the door is always open.
I want to tell her to stop, and that it's none of her business!
My mother is scared of me. I can be very violent - I won't hurt anyone but if there is too much pressure on me I will collapse. It has happened before and I left home twice. I didn't have anywhere else to go so I came back after a couple of days.
In the middle of the night I hear her weeping and praying to God to cure me. It's very difficult.
I was naive to think that, because my cousins bring their partners to family gatherings, I could too.
My family has become increasingly hostile and at my cousin's birthday party, they collectively ignored Maryam. It was very awkward and we had to leave. They love me but they hate her - I can't bear it.
It's ridiculous - I had to hide her in the cupboard once when we had my uncles over for hours. When my aunts visited unannounced, she asked me to hide her again so she didn't have to face them.
Sometimes I feel for my mother - she is nearly 70 and is a religious person. I can't argue with her and I fear she might not be able to bear all this.
I also believe in God and pray every day. I tried to find something in the Koran to show that homosexuality can be compatible with Islam but couldn't, and you can't ask an imam.
Once I saw a counsellor and she started swearing at me. "Why don't you understand that even cows know how to have normal sex?" she asked. She told me that I was breaking nature's law.
At one point I thought the only way to deal with it was to have a sex change. In Iran, being transsexual is considered a medical condition that can be treated, but it is illegal to be gay here. People are sometimes encouraged to have surgery so they don't "fall into sin" and live as homosexuals.
The doctors won't tell you honestly if they think you are a transsexual who really needs an operation so people are often left feeling confused.
I had 10 sessions with a counsellor who assessed me and I have been put on the list for surgery, but I don't think I can go through with it. I might regret it. Besides, my partner would hate it. She might leave me.
And there is no way back if you change your mind. I know transgender people who have suffered after the operation with depression and mental health problems.
I saw a woman in a clinic who had had surgery to become a man - he was sobbing and begging them to reverse the operation. He was saying he couldn't live in a man's body. I was horrified.
I have quite a masculine appearance anyway - I have short hair, wear baggy jeans, a man's watch and trainers.
I love the power that men have and I love behaving like a man in my relationship. Sometimes when I see heterosexual couples I feel weak that I can't protect my partner as much as I would like.
When we've been out together, Maryam and I have been stopped and questioned by the moral police. Once we were in the park and I removed my headscarf. A man came and asked if I was a woman and I said "Yes". He told me to go with him but when I showed him the card I was given at the transsexual counselling centre, he let me go.
That card means I am allowed to go out in public places without a hijab - the idea is to let you try living as a man before the operation.
You see many young women like me in the streets now and it's a bit more relaxed than it used to be, but years ago when I walked around Tehran, I was constantly insecure.
I worried that if they stopped me and searched my mobile, and found pictures or saw my text messages to my partner, they might put me in prison or confiscate my passport, even execute me.
I would like to marry my partner - maybe one day when we leave Iran it will be possible."

Sara's mother
"I don't know if this is a kind of illness or what. It's sinful in Islam - she won't accept it from me but it's not right.
I knew very soon that their relationship was not just a friendship. Her other female friends were fine - I knew them and their family backgrounds but this woman is a total stranger. I don't know who hooked them up.
They used to go out together and my daughter would come home very late, and tell me that her friend was young and didn't know how to get back home so she had to drop her at the train station.
I thought it would be better if they stayed at home together. It's dangerous outside. It's better to be at home than wandering about in parks or even in hotels. That's how that woman worked her way into my house.
I don't interfere. This woman lives here comfortably. She doesn't come out of their room when my daughter is not home. They even eat in their bedroom.
I know what's going on, but I keep silent. I try to avoid them. I try to go out as much as possible so that I don't see them.
I have had a horrible time in this house for years. My daughter is stuck between her and me. I hate this woman, but for the good of my daughter I put up with her in my house.
If she was a normal friend, I wouldn't have any objection. I don't want my daughter to be lonely and it's good for her to have a close friend. If only they were normal friends, I'd have asked her to stay with her for life.
But I know this woman is rude and unashamed. She is coquettish and brazen all the time. She is corrupting my daughter. She takes advantage of Sara and wastes her money. They're like lovers and buy things for each other.
I was kind to this woman. I gave her motherly advice and asked her to find a husband but she told my daughter and upset her.
My daughter is very lonely, and I think if I tell this woman off, I will break my daughter's heart. I am really scared that if I say anything, if I push this woman out, my daughter will do something bad to herself, and I will regret it for the rest of my life.
She might set the house on fire - she threatened to do that once. I am worried that she would hurt herself so I keep quiet.
I hate to talk about it. If only Sara had a brother or her father was alive, this woman wouldn't dare to come and glue herself to my daughter like this.
I ask this woman, "What is this ring on your finger? Remove it so some boy will propose to you!" Her reply is, "I won't marry until your daughter marries!"
I need someone to talk to my daughter, to make her think about her future - she'll grow old without any children.
This woman won't stay with my daughter. She will leave her and marry a man!
My daughter is exceptional. She is kind and smart - I always tell her that she is flawless except for this one thing.
It is abnormal. This woman is a torture to me.
I don't know what to do. I am not happy to leave them on their own for a single night at home, let alone move out together.
I can't think of a solution. I don't know how to save my daughter's life."

The names of people in this article have been changed. Sara and her mother spoke to Leyla Khodabakhshi.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Probably exactly as you just did, Latin person, or like, 'from (wherever they're actually from)' or something. I've heard people say 'latin-ex' out loud and it sounds fine but I have no clue if that's a 'thing' or just something they do.

Makes sense. I meant how would they be referred to and/or refer to themselves in Spanish more than in English, since there's no non-gendered way of saying Latin in Spanish.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Nckdictator posted:

In keeping with the thread title the BBC did a pretty interesting interview with a Lesbian Iranian woman and her mother.

Ooof

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PT6A posted:

Makes sense. I meant how would they be referred to and/or refer to themselves in Spanish more than in English, since there's no non-gendered way of saying Latin in Spanish.

ah, yea no clue there, yea foreign languages can be tricky for that stuff, hard to express 'nonbinary' when the fuckin chair's a lady apparently.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

EXAKT Science posted:

I guess that would be an issue with Romantic languages that specifically gender their words. But Latin@ can't be gay? gently caress, someone better tell Brazil this.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Nckdictator posted:

God that's horrible :smith:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nckdictator posted:

quote:

"Why don't you understand that even cows know how to have normal sex?"
Why did they pick the one animal that this is most well known not to be true for? I've spent relatively little of my life around cattle and I know that freemartins are a thing.

I don't believe it has anything to do with human sexuality, because it requires a set of physiological conditions that don't occur in human gestation, and I'm always wary of biological reductionism when it comes to people, but lol at "there are no female cows that exhibit mating behaviors with other female cows."

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Can we also point those people at animals like the species of lizard that is composed entirely of females, that reproduce asexually, but still engage in mating behavior with each other (to possibly induce egg-laying)? http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/asexual-lizards/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_whiptail

"It goes against nature!" is one of the weakest arguments someone can make against homosexuality.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Schubalts posted:

Can we also point those people at animals like the species of lizard that is composed entirely of females, that reproduce asexually, but still engage in mating behavior with each other (to possibly induce egg-laying)? http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/asexual-lizards/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_whiptail

"It goes against nature!" is one of the weakest arguments someone can make against homosexuality.

And that isn't even to mention the thousands of recorded instances of homosexuality that occur in nature otherwise.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

And that isn't even to mention the thousands of recorded instances of homosexuality that occur in nature otherwise.

But MAGNETS!!! Checkmate libtard!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, but there's also thousands of instances of poo poo we really shouldn't be excusing by appeal to nature that occur too, like gang rape in ducks and traumatic insemination in bedbugs and all kinds of poo poo that occurs in the parasite world.

Human gender and sexuality is something that seems to be quite fluid and culturally defined and the standard should be more like "this is okay because it's all risk-aware consenting adults" or "this is okay because the harms of homophobia and transphobia are far worse than any harms caused by being welcoming and inclusive" and not "this is okay because giraffes". And there are problems with those standards too, but that's what happens when you try to analyze social things from within society. Don't be poo poo to people and listen to other people's lived experiences I guess.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, but there's also thousands of instances of poo poo we really shouldn't be excusing by appeal to nature that occur too, like gang rape in ducks and traumatic insemination in bedbugs and all kinds of poo poo that occurs in the parasite world.

Human gender and sexuality is something that seems to be quite fluid and culturally defined and the standard should be more like "this is okay because it's all risk-aware consenting adults" or "this is okay because the harms of homophobia and transphobia are far worse than any harms caused by being welcoming and inclusive" and not "this is okay because giraffes". And there are problems with those standards too, but that's what happens when you try to analyze social things from within society. Don't be poo poo to people and listen to other people's lived experiences I guess.

Its more to demonstrate that their argument that being gay is against nature is false.

Yes, there is plenty of hosed up stuff in nature, nature is generally awful.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its why we built society in the first place, to get the gently caress away from nature and protect ourselves from it. Unfortunately, our unnatural society is the only thing that teaches homophobia as a learned instinct into our species because "it goes against nature" or any other excuse that justifies the hatred.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I don't know whether to laugh or not over the gop trying so hard to pin the shooting as foreign terror and how we need to shut off the flow of refugees. Are there no depths they won't stoop to? Donald Trump really is the leader they deserve. Forever.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Like, that has to be directed at reassuring the religious right that is still ok to hate gay people because it's still protestants that are truly persecuted, right?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kylra posted:

Like, that has to be directed at reassuring the religious right that is still ok to hate gay people because it's still protestants that are truly persecuted, right?

Oh I think it absolutely is; they're trying to minimize the cognitive dissonance of having to act like they care about the victims while Republican candidates were happy to get on stage with that "kill the gays" pastor. As well as like you said they'll do anything to shift the conversation from homophobia (where all but the most stupid know they're losing) to islamophobia.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kylra posted:

I don't know whether to laugh or not over the gop trying so hard to pin the shooting as foreign terror and how we need to shut off the flow of refugees. Are there no depths they won't stoop to? Donald Trump really is the leader they deserve. Forever.

If it makes you feel better, its killing his ratings, the only people who buy that are the Tea Party mongoloids that already support him no matter what.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
This week has been pretty awful for me. I go to school in Orlando, and while I was lucky enough to be in Texas visiting family during the shooting, I still got to wake up to texts from friends telling me my community was being massacred. Discussion about it in the household ended up with a shouting argument between me and pretty much everyone else that ended with me outed and told by my grandfather that people gays and liberals aren't part of the family's values, and if I didn't hold their values I wasn't part of the family. Feels bad man :smith:

Guavanaut posted:

Why did they pick the one animal that this is most well known not to be true for? I've spent relatively little of my life around cattle and I know that freemartins are a thing.

Serious answer? Iran doesn't have that many cows. While I'm sure the numbers have grown since the 18th century, the comparison of local rulers wealth from that era usually listed sheep and goats in the tens, or hundreds of thousands, and I'm not sure I ever saw a rulers cow herd as being listed over a hundred.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 15, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Schizotek posted:

This week has been pretty awful for me. I go to school in Orlando, and while I was lucky enough to be in Texas visiting family during the shooting, I still got to wake up to texts from friends telling me my community was being massacred. Discussion about it in the household ended up with a shouting argument between me and pretty much everyone else that ended with me outed and told by my grandfather that people gays and liberals aren't part of the family's values, and if I didn't hold their values I wasn't part of the family. Feels bad man :smith:

Serious answer? Iran doesn't have that many cows. While I'm sure the numbers have grown since the 18th century, the comparison of local rulers wealth from that era usually listed sheep and goats in the tens, or hundreds of thousands, and I'm not sure I ever saw a rulers cow herd as being listed over a hundred.

That loving sucks. Sorry.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Schizotek posted:

welcome to the family disappointment club

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Schizotek posted:

Sorry to hear that, friend :glomp:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Schizotek posted:

Dang. :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Schizotek posted:

I'm so sorry dude. :negative:

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Schizotek posted:

:glomp:

I wish there was something more I could say, that sort of pain runs very deep.

:glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Crossposting to a better thread than USPOL because I wasn't thinking about it:

Planned Parenthood is doing a small, but good, thing.

• Locked thread