Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Yes Xolve you rolled a 20 and your jedi mind trick worked this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Blazing Zero posted:

im sure they are deeply hurt by this

Deeply hurt their killboards by recruiting Bovril you mean

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Morris posted:

who actually cares about killboards besides GSF in TYOOL 2016

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011

Landsknecht posted:

The koku

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Landsknecht posted:

ur alliance f*cker

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
Y'all in GSF seem pretty into informing PL that we still care about killboards, when we are pretty clear that we don't.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Landsknecht posted:

Y'all in GSF seem pretty into informing PL that we still care about killboards, when we are pretty clear that we don't.

but you do

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
we can keep doing this song and dance every time you jump up to screech about how much you and yours totally dont care about thing

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Landsknecht posted:

everyone cares but they pretend not to

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER
"We don't care about kbs, guys. Take your goddamned APIs off of zkb. We have our own internal kb, "

I, too, expend effort to provide an internal alliance-only service that no one in my alliance cares about.

Only mine revolves around posting badly.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
nah thats fine and the stated reason for that is acceptable "ccp fucks up lets minimize anything they could hurt us with" that's cool and i get it

but i too express how much I don't care about something by mentioning it at every opportunity

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Morris posted:

suas found out moon mining was going away and needed a new resource.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER
Are Bovril actual miners?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Baculus posted:

yes they are and they're really bad. Also killboards alone are a really dumb metric that punish you for ever flying non combat things or throwing ships into the grinder to accomplish an objective, but bovril is bad with any metric you use.

You have to actively try to be that bad. Like, they're screamingllama tier bad.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

nah man he is just defending PL's valued allies against my baseless accusations of caring about killboards, the ultimate sin in TYOOL 2016

we know PL doesn't care anymore because apparently any blockhead with IWI money and a titan pilot can buy their way in now

Baculus posted:

Doubt it because mines are pretty hot and Bovril couldn't take the heat

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Baculus posted:

A lot of them are or at least were. They used to live in BUZ-DB which was full of procurers mining. All of them had a point fitted and if you didn't kill it fast enough you would get swarmed by other procurers warping in. It's a unique gimmick, but they are generally pretty bad at this game.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Reverand maynard posted:

I lost any respect for OSS when they recruited bovril. I thought it was a ruse but nope OSS is a bunch of basic bitches

idk, it was a decent pickup

not because they had any PVP ability, but because they are inveterate carebears and can be counted on to maintain ADMs in a system

if you're looking to be a sov having alliance in TYOOL 2016 (aka not gsf lol) then you need PVE types or you're gonna have a bad time

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Venom Snake posted:

In gokuhighsec all goons live free my son

Ftfy

Tactical Shitpost
Jun 13, 2016

Landsknecht posted:

You know, it's weird. On one hand you say PL doesn't care about killboards, but then pretty much every corp in https://www.pandemic-legion.pl/forums/index.php?/forum/3-public/ requires a link to a killboard or a specific number of kills. I understand it helps with recruitment, but stating that you don't care about them seems a little dishonest. Also, what's with the number of kills under avatars?

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Morris posted:

we know PL doesn't care anymore because apparently any blockhead with IWI money and a titan pilot can buy their way in now

...and explode their way right out.

Baculus posted:

"We don't care about kbs, guys. Take your goddamned APIs off of zkb. We have our own internal kb, "

I, too, expend effort to provide an internal alliance-only service that no one in my alliance cares about.

Only mine revolves around posting badly.

Once upon a time, not so long ago- we had a killboard that actually sorted out battles we were directly involved in, including whomever we had standings with at the time.

It alleviated the need for br-doc and whatnot, as we could just see how the battle went (our comp vs. their comp, etc). Killboards are not without their usefulness, but efficiency is a meaningless metric (pretty sure you can eve-search posts by me mentioning this back to 2009- so it's not some new thing because we lost a Titan and a Moracha last month) and always has been. Fleet dudes will almost always be 90%+, Solo PvP dudes aim for 50%+; it's an intel tool and little more.

Tactical Shitpost posted:

You know, it's weird. On one hand you say PL doesn't care about killboards, but then pretty much every corp in https://www.pandemic-legion.pl/forums/index.php?/forum/3-public/ requires a link to a killboard or a specific number of kills. I understand it helps with recruitment, but stating that you don't care about them seems a little dishonest. Also, what's with the number of kills under avatars?

Active PvP alliance wants to recruit active PvPers. :ms:

Xolve fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 14, 2016

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

:captainpop:

Excellent work. Maybe my Synthwave EVE internet radio idea will be worth something.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Reverand maynard posted:

yes they are and they're really bad. Also killboards alone are a really dumb metric that punish you for ever flying non combat things or throwing ships into the grinder to accomplish an objective, but bovril is bad with any metric you use.

You have to actively try to be that bad. Like, they're screamingllama tier bad.

For whatever reason, scanning across "BOVRL ... Mynts Pants ... 24% ... Snuggly Gangs ... 201^ " and spending about three seconds thinking about (search for most innocuous+moronic+embarrassing thing people actually admit to doing, that I've heard about) gave me the mental image of a group of ABDL enthusiasts all suited up on Harleys and rolling up to the county courthouse with a petition demanding to be taken seriously.

And now you have that mental image. You're welcome.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

it's almost like, outside of a few specific instances, looking at the amount and frequency of kills is a good metric to figure out how active that person is and how long they've been pvping

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

idk, it was a decent pickup

not because they had any PVP ability, but because they are inveterate carebears and can be counted on to maintain ADMs in a system

if you're looking to be a sov having alliance in TYOOL 2016 (aka not gsf lol) then you need PVE types or you're gonna have a bad time

It would be a good pick up if they treated them like renters

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
there are a lot of eve players who will go hardcore PVE when needed; it was impossible to find open anoms in 93pi when PL wanted to get ADMs up

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

quote:

Killboards are not without their usefulness, but efficiency is a meaningless metric (pretty sure you can eve-search posts by me mentioning this back to 2009- so it's not some new thing because we lost a Titan and a Moracha last month) and always has been. Fleet dudes will almost always be 90%+, Solo PvP dudes aim for 50%+; it's an intel tool and little more.

Given the distortions present in the Eve economy I agree that the utility of KBs mostly lies in intel and as a historical record. But efficiency itself is no more "meaningless" than any other stat. Context is everything whether you are looking at kills, isk, whatever. If Eve did not have relatively safe isk/resource fountains or a large population of entrenched "old money" I would argue that efficiency would be the most meaningful metric in an extended war between two parties with an equal economic starting position.

Also let's be honest, more stats mean more avenues to ~support your narrative~. After all, if you torture data enough it will confess to anything you want :v:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Landsknecht posted:

it's almost like, outside of a few specific instances, looking at the amount and frequency of kills is a good metric to figure out how active that person is and how long they've been pvping

Things a kb wont show about a person
  • They fly dedicated logi or triage
  • They move cynos and scout
  • They jump freight for the alliance
  • They FC a lot
  • They bridge a lot
  • They flip their characters often but are super-active

The last one was me. I havent had a "main" since 2012 or so but always had a 150m sp+ character that was in every fleet with the proper fit on time and did everything the fc requested, a perfect model linemember.

There are superior ways of tracking and judging activity but PL could never use those after relentlessly making GBS threads on it for years.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Orange Red Bull posted:

Back when I was in Rote, this was actually something that we tried to address -- Rote runs a fork of EDK with some really nice features, most notably the ability to add yourself to a kill as logi or scout. I generally prefer the Goon model of just not giving a poo poo about our killboard stats, but there you go.

I have to admit, that's the only thing I dislike about the emergence of zKillboard as "the only KB anyone cares about" -- it ended interest in little features like that. It used to be that custom killboards with neat stats / etc. were an actual way for smaller corps/alliances to distinguish themselves. Who here remembers that amazing Flash-driven killboard that IRON used to have around 2005?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Orange Red Bull posted:

• They FC a lot
  • They bridge a lot

The last one was me. I havent had a "main" since 2012 or so but always had a 150m sp+ character that was in every fleet with the proper fit on time and did everything the fc requested, a perfect model linemember.

There are superior ways of tracking and judging activity but PL could never use those after relentlessly making GBS threads on it for years.

This all tends to be covered under "Oh yes that guy who does all the things. He's actives so it's cool" In practise it's not a problem.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

It's because you can read someone's play style and activity from their killboard. That way you can quickly discard the people who obviously won't fit in. Sure a recruit can say they are all about PVP, but when their killboard shows 6 months gaps in between ratting ishtar losses you can be pretty sure he's not what you're looking for. If someone has more armor tanked drake losses than lifetime kills, then you can tell him to join Horde or Karmafleet to get at least the basics right before applying again. No one gives a gently caress about how isk positive you are or how many titans you whored on, especially since accomplished solo pvpers have a lower isk efficiency than someone who only logs in for pinged stratops. Pretty much every non-newbie pvp group does this, even if they don't care how dumb your losses are once you've joined.

Orange Red Bull posted:

• They FC a lot
  • They bridge a lot

Pvp groups want pvpers. The first 5 you listed are definitely plusses, but won't get you anywhere if all you are interested in is enabling ratters. The last one is a red flag.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

For people involved in the community and doing things, people will know they are active if they don't have kms.

For the introverted guy that doesn't really talk to anyone? Killboards can be important.

Nobody that's active is going to get purged. Even people that aren't active wont get purged if you say 'hay I'm going afk for a bit'

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

If anyone were to go by my ratting alts killboard, I am pretty sure I would be mocked horribly. My most expensive losses usually happen because I went AFK and died to rats. Worrying about efficiency is dumb and for spergs. I just fly on sigma ops and lose ships and maybe sov laser a thing or gank someone.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

May the hole squad - miniluv alliance last forever

Rhymenoserous posted:

suas found out moon mining was going away and needed a new resource.

Recruiting miners to take advantage of moons is smart, but only if said miners aren't complete retards

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
I need help and less time on my hands.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Nazareth posted:

I need help and less time on my hands.

:420:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Talking about killboards is dumb. Obviously PL cares about kbstats, they will never admit, they want to be the best, a lot of them think they are the best. Some of them get really mad when their mates die in expensive or badly fit ships and poo poo up the kb.

Everybody knows it but they would never say it because it makes them look retarded.

:gas: thread ban OP

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Orange Red Bull posted:

• They FC a lot
  • They bridge a lot

• Sub1 is a small crowd, everyone is required to have logi5/t2 triage- the active logi bros are known (and often rewarded)
  • Everyone can do this, we even have an alt group dedicated to it.
  • We don't have dedicated JF corps- just a IRC channel. Apparently that's all you need. Alliance logistics guys are amazing and are rewarded for their work.
  • (almost) Everyone in PL can call targets, fleet anchor, logi anchor- whether or not they do it is a different matter.
  • Not something you need to worry about if everyone has a titan.
  • Who cares about having a 'main'?

I didn't know there were so many experts on PL, outside of PL, that have never actually been in PL.

Orange Red Bull posted:

Talking about killboards is dumb. Obviously PL cares about kbstats, they will never admit

We care about KB Stats about as much as Mittani cares about r/eve (well- at least as much as he claims he doesn't).

Xolve fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 14, 2016

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

You realize if you werent here to Baghdad Bob and get assblasted nobody would even talk about PL ITT

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

It would be like ribchat everyday :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

AAPsel posted:

Pvp groups want pvpers. The first 5 you listed are definitely plusses, but won't get you anywhere if all you are interested in is enabling ratters. The last one is a red flag.

Eh, I think I'd have to respectfully disagree. I believe that what we're really talking about is: What is required to recruit and retain good PvPers? Some things I've noticed:

* It's not entirely clear to me if it's useful to artificially segregate PvE-minded and PvP-minded people. Ideally, you want a bit of both, but most players straddle the two to a certain amount. I'm predominantly a PvPer, but I also run a T2 ship production business, because I need iskies for my toonies so that I can do some welpsies. I think that the ideal lies in recruiting people who aren't assholes -- or, at least, people who don't go rear end in a top hat mode unprompted -- and making sure that they have company no matter what type of content they want to dip their foot in. Some days I want to hang out with Reavers and shoot poo poo while I murder NCDOT CDs on the Saranen undock; some days, I want to hang out with gs_isk and shoot poo poo while queuing up a ton of research jobs.

* Killboards are, ironically, not that useful at recruitment time for distinguishing between a carebear and a PvPer. Your average Thetan, for example, will have plenty of kills on a killboard, and some of them might even appear to be solo kills. But given a choice, they'd rather rat. If you're in the business of finding people who would rather murder, given a choice, that's something that's best found out through a trial, rather than statistics. (It also gives you the ability to get a picture of what they consider to be parts of PvP. Some people only think of PvP as F1-F8. Some people like the side tasks like logi and probing.)

* Unless you're a soloer, kbstats don't paint a very good picture. And, ironically, soloers tend to have the worst kb stats, because they welp into fights that no sane person should take.

I think the biggest contributor to recruiting PvPers today is word of mouth, both at an alliance level and at a small group level. I go where my friends are happy (or were happy).

• Locked thread