Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

pixaal posted:

Pissing me off: Office365 random password

CEO is out of state and wants his email password reset, no problem, I have his gmail account. I tell him I'll have the random password sent to his gmail so I don't have to give it to him over the phone great. If you don't know office365 generates the password using Cvcvdddd (Capital consonant vowel consonant vowel number number number number). It sent him Faka####.

He's still on the phone while reading it, and takes it rather well after I explain how it's generated but oh boy was that fun.

I worked with a dev on a PBX Communication front end. Users could log in, check their vmail, see call metrics, and what not. it assigned people a random password. Female client called in very upset that it gave her "broomrape" as a password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
^ lol

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Opposite of pissing me off: My girlfriend's got a touch-screen laptop that she loves a lot and we were hanging out and I was on Facebook and she was shoulder-surfing and wanted me to click on a link so she reached out and poked my monitor :kimchi:

(yes I cleaned it afterwards but it was still goddamn adorable)

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Wow... just had a tech support case with Comcast that wasn't a horribly botched poo poo show as such interactions normally are.

Called yesterday about problems at one of our branch locations. They scheduled a tech for the next day, who arrived almost to the minute when they where scheduled. He looked at it, found the problem, fixed it, and gave me his direct celllphone number to call if we had any more issues.

I think I'm in the Twilight zone...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Opposite of pissing me off: My girlfriend's got a touch-screen laptop that she loves a lot and we were hanging out and I was on Facebook and she was shoulder-surfing and wanted me to click on a link so she reached out and poked my monitor :kimchi:

(yes I cleaned it afterwards but it was still goddamn adorable)

When people would touch my iMac screen I would look at them, take out a microfiber cloth, wipe the spot they just touched, and stare at them.

:crossarms:

Took them 3-4 times to figure out they shouldn't do that.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

When people would touch my iMac screen I would look at them, take out a microfiber cloth, wipe the spot they just touched, and stare at them.

:crossarms:

Took them 3-4 times to figure out they shouldn't do that.

Yeah, I hate when people touch my monitors. Which makes me a hypocrite, because I find myself doing it to other people's monitors. I don't know where I picked up this habit, but it's me, I'm the terrible person.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I'd pay good money for a rackmountable camera so I can see which idiot is fidgeting with cables at our branch locations.

Extra money if it had motion detection and could start recording when motion is recorded.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Hang a webcam off a server and install the terrible bundled software.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Replace one patch cable with poorly grounded 240v

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sheep posted:

I'd pay good money for a rackmountable camera so I can see which idiot is fidgeting with cables at our branch locations.

Extra money if it had motion detection and could start recording when motion is recorded.

We use a few of: http://www.apc.com/shop/ca/en/products/NetBotz-Room-Monitor-455-without-PoE-Injector-/P-NBWL0455

Does motion control for the camera, as well as temp/humidity sensors. Probably a few other things as well. I've been happy with them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

We use a few of: http://www.apc.com/shop/ca/en/products/NetBotz-Room-Monitor-455-without-PoE-Injector-/P-NBWL0455

Does motion control for the camera, as well as temp/humidity sensors. Probably a few other things as well. I've been happy with them.

For 2800 bucks is drat sure better do a million things.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Erwin posted:

Yeah, I hate when people touch my monitors. Which makes me a hypocrite, because I find myself doing it to other people's monitors. I don't know where I picked up this habit, but it's me, I'm the terrible person.

When I need to point at a monitor I touch with my fingernail. That's okay isn't it??
E: Hand flipped so my palm is away from the screen.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sickening posted:

For 2800 bucks is drat sure better do a million things.

Everything under 10K is basically written off as change here, so I don't know how that compares to other cameras. Also, I think that's in $ Canadian, so it's probably cheaper everywhere else.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Everything under 10K is basically written off as change here, so I don't know how that compares to other cameras. Also, I think that's in $ Canadian, so it's probably cheaper everywhere else.

You can also get those plastic cable locks. They connect into a port and then lock with a plastic key to keep connected cables locked in. Those and some locking port blockers will keep away all but the most destructive of idiot users.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
New thread title
More poo poo that pisses you off: she reached out and poked my monitor

stevewm
May 10, 2005

drat... I have to get approval if something is over $50 USD here.. Owner once threw a fit over a $75 additional paper tray on a printer and held a meeting about it to discuss if we actually needed it.

Needless to say, he is a bit "frugal"... yeah, that's the word...frugal....

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

stevewm posted:

drat... I have to get approval if something is over $50 USD here.. Owner once threw a fit over a $75 additional paper tray on a printer and held a meeting about it to discuss if we actually needed it.

That meeting literally cost more than the paper tray. People who don't understand economics and opportunity cost when scheduling meetings infuriate me.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Storysmith posted:

That meeting literally cost more than the paper tray. People who don't understand economics and opportunity cost when scheduling meetings infuriate me.

Yeah, its quite infuriating when we do have to make any large purchase. It takes weeks and I have to get at least 3-4 quotes from vendors. If there is more than a few $100 difference between then I have to explain in detail why that is.

He looks at everything down to the last dollar.

Its annoying, but I've managed to endure 15 years of it. Its a running joke in the company to never mention printers to the owner again, hahaha.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

stevewm posted:

Yeah, its quite infuriating when we do have to make any large purchase. It takes weeks and I have to get at least 3-4 quotes from vendors. If there is more than a few $100 difference between then I have to explain in detail why that is.

He looks at everything down to the last dollar.

Its annoying, but I've managed to endure 15 years of it. Its a running joke in the company to never mention printers to the owner again, hahaha.

It's tedious time wasting that burns far more money than it ever saves.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

stevewm posted:

I've discussed adding an addition email only office 365 account for several hours of back and forth between a department head and CFO. It's $5/month the person is full time yes you can just email this person. The problem is not that its a lot it's that its a reoccurring cost. I can disable it if you fire them tomorrow, we'll only pay $0.17 for that! I'll keep the accounts trim just give me blanket "keep it under X people without asking" rather than let's debate if we're going to keep said employ because this could in theory cost us $10,000 ignoring that that would take over 166 years. I'm always surprised when I need to ask for $10,000 worth of hardware and get it approved without blinking by the exact same person. They also complain about hours billed from outside labor. I've had success saying we need to be sold a solution not an hourly worker tell us the total job cost. I've had to nudge a few into figure out how many hours it will take pad that out and give that to me, if you somehow go over that you eat the extra hours. Pretty sure this winds up costing more but it gets poo poo done.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

pixaal posted:

They also complain about hours billed from outside labor. I've had success saying we need to be sold a solution not an hourly worker tell us the total job cost. I've had to nudge a few into figure out how many hours it will take pad that out and give that to me, if you somehow go over that you eat the extra hours. Pretty sure this winds up costing more but it gets poo poo done.
It depends on how accurate your provider is at assessing risk. Fixed fee is just a risk shift, and risk has value. If the provider values the risk less than you, then you'll save money.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Sheep posted:

Maybe try a trail/game camera. Not rackmountable but it shouldn't be hard to figure out how to mount one.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I get an IM from two people asking what device is on an IP. I tell them that its our Aruba controller, I ask why and don't get an answer from either of them. Couple of mintues later, I get a huge IM from my boss(B1) saying that his boss(B2) thought the network was slow that morning, and decided to go find out why. He digs into Splunk and pulls a report saying a lot of traffic was going to the controller.

I look at the report he has, and according to it, each of wireless APs is sending anywhere from 1 to 50Gbps of traffic to the controller.
Which is odd for multiple reasons,
1. They can't do that
2. I would notice if our network suddenly broke the laws of physics.
3. One of the sites that is supposedly sending 180Gbps of traffic only has a 20mb pipe.

I look at the tool we use, nothing is using more then a trickle of bandwidth. I look at the interface on the firewall its connected to at a branch. I see that its also not sending an non-stop flood of traffic. However, I notice that the total traffic on that port is awfully close to what the reported traffic per second is in the report. So splunk is misreading the data and shouldn't be trying to read that as Mbps. I send this to my boss and he forwards it up.
10 minutes later, email from Boss 2. He says the traffic is still too high, even if the numbers that he is looking at aren't right. I pull even more stats, looking at traffic all day it averages out to be about 300k/s for all the APs talking to the controller.

30 minutes later, 2nd email from Boss 2. Now he wants to have a meeting about why this traffic is so high. I'm tempted to clear all those interface stats so it will bottom out and will magically save the day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We had these wireless ap's that would spike to 5gbs a couple random times during the day (not possible of course), never figured out what it was

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Bob Morales posted:

We had these wireless ap's that would spike to 5gbs a couple random times during the day (not possible of course), never figured out what it was

Maybe an internal loop?

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Quit my helpdesk job to pursue medical school :toot:

https://my.mixtape.moe/byyxak.webm

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Takkaryx posted:

Goodluck!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Haha us IT people reckon we've got it tough. Try med school.

Gods speed!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Holy poo poo why do people pass the buck so drat much.

We need to sign a contract for a new VOIP provider, the director needs to sign it. For some reason he's passed it to the finance manager, she then sent it to me to print and sign, then she noticed the term was wrong and wants me to get it changed.

What the gently caress is so hard about filling in a .DOC, or just mailing someone. Nevermind vital systems and knowledge they really are helpless when I'm not around.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

nexus6 posted:

Pissing me off: Gmail. We use Google Apps for Business and twice this week my account has been "Temporarily Locked Down" because it itself froze. I tried to insert an image into a message and when it took a minute before anything appeared I refreshed the page and I've been kicked out.

Update on this. Apparently I somehow exceeded the bandwidth limit of 750MB an hour on a day I sent 10 emails.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bob Morales posted:

I've seen weird bandwidth readings when I was polling SNMP too often on certain devices. I forget the specifics, but IIRC it was net-snmp on OpenWRT got unhappy if I polled it more than once every 5-10 seconds. Instead of consistent updates I'd get nothing, nothing, nothing, then a spike where all the traffic from the last X time period suddenly registered, causing it to show very bursty usage at well over line rate rather than continuous data.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Takkaryx posted:

Remember the healthcare IT workers when you're in the white coat, friend.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't understand the decisions people make. Or don't make, I don't know, they're stupid.

We have an internal PO form on sharepoint and it can have anywhere from one to over a dozen part numbers on it.

There's a field for comments where we often elaborate on the part number design. If you exceed the viewable space in this text box, it becomes scrollable but NOT EXPANDABLE. Which means that when we turn this form into a PDF to send it off (they're in a different region/don't use sharepoint), it's impossible to read the rest of the comments.

WHY are people so stupid to not consider the fact that it might be good to make text boxes expandable, especially when they're open-ended like "Comments"? And other text boxes like part numbers and a "Note" text box for each line item just cut things off if they get too long. It's so stupid.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Takkaryx posted:

This video was extremely satisfying and therapeutic.

Good luck with med school! Diagnosing a human is probably a lot like diagnosing a computer, except that computers lie a lot less.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Pissing me off today... Phone and online business listing databases... Particularly Apple and their "Maps Connect".

We have had some issues with these websites giving out our office phone number instead of our store phone number, leading to customers calling the wrong number. We recently found out Siri was giving out the wrong number if people used it to ask for the store.

Apple has a website called Maps Connect so you can submit and correct business listings..

They must have absolutely brain dead employees doing the verification on these... Despite me filling out all the information correctly and linking to our website , and our locations along with their information being prominently displayed on our website, they continue to deny my edits because they cannot "verify" the information. I have sent them links to local newspaper and government websites announcing the store openings, vendor websites showing our store locations as dealers, links to 3rd party websites showing pictures of said stores, etc.. Still they deny it, saying additional verification is needed, but yet won't say exactly what they need!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

stevewm posted:

Pissing me off today... Phone and online business listing databases... Particularly Apple and their "Maps Connect".

We have had some issues with these websites giving out our office phone number instead of our store phone number, leading to customers calling the wrong number. We recently found out Siri was giving out the wrong number if people used it to ask for the store.

Apple has a website called Maps Connect so you can submit and correct business listings..

They must have absolutely brain dead employees doing the verification on these... Despite me filling out all the information correctly and linking to our website , and our locations along with their information being prominently displayed on our website, they continue to deny my edits because they cannot "verify" the information. I have sent them links to local newspaper and government websites announcing the store openings, vendor websites showing our store locations as dealers, links to 3rd party websites showing pictures of said stores, etc.. Still they deny it, saying additional verification is needed, but yet won't say exactly what they need!

They can't just call the numbers?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
CEO is asking the board-layout guy to break the laws of physics. :allears:

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Gounads posted:

They can't just call the numbers?

Well, you could also have someone who setups a number specifically to hijack another companies calls. *shrug*

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ratbert90 posted:

CEO is asking the board-layout guy to break the laws of physics. :allears:

I had a UK customer who did some reverse DNS lookups and traceroutes and poo poo on some Google servers, and of course they came back as registered in California.

He took this to mean that our service (which utilizes some google services) was breaking some EU data security laws by sending his data to California.

We weren't. Google registers every server it owns to CA. His traceroutes showed like 5ms times to some of the servers; we'd have to break the speed of light to send the information from the UK to California in that timeframe.

This did not convince him. It ended up being a huge mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

ConfusedUs posted:

I had a UK customer who did some reverse DNS lookups and traceroutes and poo poo on some Google servers, and of course they came back as registered in California.

He took this to mean that our service (which utilizes some google services) was breaking some EU data security laws by sending his data to California.

We weren't. Google registers every server it owns to CA. His traceroutes showed like 5ms times to some of the servers; we'd have to break the speed of light to send the information from the UK to California in that timeframe.

This did not convince him. It ended up being a huge mess.

Could be worse:

https://consumerist.com/2016/04/11/this-farm-in-kansas-is-the-default-address-for-all-american-internet-users/
http://fusion.net/story/287592/internet-mapping-glitch-kansas-farm/