Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
This is probably the best guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH0ePK5ia50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ddraig posted:

Reinhardt isn't going to go down easy unless you catch him by surprise. If he's doing his job, it's going to be harder to take him out as McCree.

Actually the most effective way to do damage to him now will be to throw the flash over the shield and get two headshots.

Yeah I don't mean to imply the nerf doesn't actually do anything. The floor on fan combos just raised a whole lot. I just mean that in a perfect hypothetical, McCree can still burn him down, where before he had considerable slack available.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 14, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
those are some good patch notes imho

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Broseph Brostar posted:

Winston is my top played, I know exactly what I'm talking about when I say Winston isn't an adequate counter against a good Widow.

A good Widow can headshot you the moment you're in LoS and then pepper you down with her smg. A good Widow will be sniping in a spot where its easy to drop down and rejoin her team.

To counter either of those strategies a good Winston can give up and play a different hero, because even with perfect positioning there's nothing special a Winston can do once he's in.

lmao

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I guess you also have to take into account that some (read: most) McCrees are scrubs and will not wait for the initial FTH to finish before combat rolling, meaning they waste most of the first one.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ddraig posted:

I guess you also have to take into account that some (read: most) McCrees are scrubs and will not wait for the initial FTH to finish before combat rolling, meaning they waste most of the first one.

Yeah McCree was honestly a lot more a floor problem than a ceiling one to me. I'm fine with him still being very strong in good hands. But it was getting annoying that terrible McCrees could still just jump in and force a 1 for 1. Now they'll suffer

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Ddraig posted:

This is probably the best guide

Thanks. I've seen this one, but still can't do it. For example around 2:20, he starts talking about jumping from wall to wall and chaining wall rides. When I try to just leap from wall to wall (space to leap, hit a wall, hit space again while holding direction towards the other wall), it doesn't catch. I must be doing something wrong. The keypressing is what I am most interested in, which isn't really discussed in detail after mentioning that holding down space allows you to wall ride. Do I need to jump on a wall with space, keep it held down, then when I hit the wall, release space and quickly hit it again while moving in another direction, while once again holding down space, in order to perform this action? I'd like to see one of these videos where they show their hands on the keyboard to really grasp what they are doing, otherwise, not being a smart man, I just can't seem to do it.

E: Now that I see his name, I'll see if I can ask him to make a video with the keyboard showing. Maybe that will help.

DrSeRRoD fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 14, 2016

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

Macaluso posted:

A reasonable nerf would be removing Widowmaker from the game actually

My god shutup. Learn to deal with different heroes instead of bitching all the time.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Easy Mac posted:

My god shutup. Learn to deal with different heroes instead of bitching all the time.

Or maybe it's possible that sniping doesn't have a reasonable position inside a game with map and objective design such as Overwatch and will always be a power problem on either end of the spectrum no matter what

Maybe, just maybe, having a dedicated sniper is a bad idea

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

a cat on an apple posted:

Or maybe it's possible that sniping doesn't have a reasonable position inside a game with map and objective design such as Overwatch and will always be a power problem on either end of the spectrum no matter what

Nah.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Dias posted:

Nah, that's about right. Do your own thing, bop people with hadoukens, skate around and UNDERSTAND UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF LOVE

Don't forget that you've gotta make a STATEMENT OF INTENT

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

a cat on an apple posted:

Maybe, but not really.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Easy Mac posted:

All the other heroes are good and fun though. Widow is bad cause snipers are bad and farty :)

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Gonna load of the Jetset Radio Future soundtrack and play some Lucio today.

UNDERSTAND. UNDERSTAND.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Batham posted:

If you're half decent as Widow these changes will almost mean jack poo poo to you.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Was just watching Reaver in a pub, and even for a high-skilled (maybe the best in the world?) widow, these changes are pretty huge.

Yes he was still really, really good and killed a lot of people, but it had a huge effect on his mobility and the damage nerf has enormous implications as well.

A few big things that come to mind:

* You are much more vulnerable to Genji since you can't quick-scope while jumping around, not to mention the damage nerf.
* You can't one-shot a tracer anymore with a body-shot (this might actually be huge, will be interesting to see if Tracer has a resurgence).
* Vision was nerfed by 10%, but damage was also nerfed, so it will be up something like 20% less.
* Mercy-boosted shots now do a LOT less damage since it is 30% damage increase. Hell you can't even one-shot a 200hp hero with discord now with a body shot!

subx fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 14, 2016

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I can't wait to outsnipe a bunch of Widows with Zenyatta tonight

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I can't wait for people to bitch about Tracer as much as they used to bitch about McCree

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
patches are good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Listen, all these Widow changes may sound good on paper, but they do nothing against aimbotting Widows, which is incidentally every Widow who manages to kill me ever.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

figures we get a new thread title and they turn around and immediately nerf widow, making us look silly

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Zorodius posted:

I can't wait for people to bitch about Tracer as much as they used to bitch about McCree

Funny thing is that Tracer used to be bitched about a lot back in beta when match-making was sketchy at best because of the tiny player pool. You got paired against pro's quite a bit if you were decent, and some of those people were ridiculous (play against Surefore(sp?) sometime on Tracer, gently caress that noise), but the bitching died down a lot once matchmaking got better.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Widowmaker needed tuning and got it, people are still complaining because they are bad and said people won't be happy until she's literally removed from the game, at which point they'll find another character to whine about the the beautiful cycle continues.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mystery Machine posted:

UNDERSTAND. UNDERSTAND.

They need to make up for McCree's nerfs by giving him a skateboard, so I can also do this with the THPS OST.

SO HERE I AM HUNTING TRACERS ALL THE TIME
FANNING WINSTONS ALL THE TIME
IT'S ALWAYS HIGH NOON IN MY MIND

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mystery Machine posted:

UNDERSTAND. UNDERSTAND.

Just be sure to skip Birthday Cake.

SHUT UP AND EAT
YOU KNOW MY LOVE IS SWEET

It's not featured on the soundtrack album, but a playful trickster may have added it to a JSR playlist on Spotify :dva:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

figures we get a new thread title and they turn around and immediately nerf widow, making us look silly

I was reasonably confident the patch was coming today, that's what the joke is. (The last title was also a joke, just a semi-useful one.)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

subx posted:

You have no idea what you are talking about. Was just watching Reaver in a pub, and even for a high-skilled (maybe the best in the world?) widow, these changes are pretty huge.

Yes he was still really, really good and killed a lot of people, but it had a huge effect on his mobility and the damage nerf has enormous implications as well.

A few big things that come to mind:

* You are much more vulnerable to Genji since you can't quick-scope while jumping around, not to mention the damage nerf.
* You can't one-shot a tracer anymore with a body-shot (this might actually be huge, will be interesting to see if Tracer has a resurgence).
* Vision was nerfed by 10%, but damage was also nerfed, so it will be up something like 20% less.
* Mercy-boosted shots now do a LOT less damage since it is 30% damage increase. Hell you can't even one-shot a 200hp hero with discord now with a body shot!

i guess theyll have to learn to aim for the head

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
Overwatch: Try countering Widowmaker as Jeff Kaplan

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
This patch is good, in my opinion.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

whining goons: "this skill-based shooting game shouldn't have a skill-based shooting hero!"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

yard salad posted:

whining goons: "this skill-based shooting game shouldn't have a skill-based shooting hero!"

It should, this is why they nerfed Widow and McCree.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Kerrrrrrr posted:

"Try countering Widowmaker by updating your game."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

yard salad posted:

Actually you'll find that Widow is a no-skill wallhack aimbot casualmode hero that anybody can rack up kills with, except when I'm playing her because I am the only person of integrity on Battle.net who doesn't cheat at Overwatch.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

exquisite tea posted:

Actually you'll find that Widow is a no-skill wallhack aimbot casualmode hero that anybody can rack up kills with, except when I'm playing her because I am the only person of integrity on Battle.net who doesn't cheat at Overwatch.

same

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Is...is this how the poor Dota 2 goons felt during all these years? Oh my god, I didn't know. I didn't know at all. Forgive me for judging you.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

exquisite tea posted:

what character do these kinds of people play

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Same.

Picked up Overwatch this weekend. It has been goon fun.

Curious to see how I do against Mcree's tonight after he got Woah There'd.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
good patch imo

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's kind of shocking how almost halving McCree's damage hasn't made that huge a difference to him. At least now Tanks stand a chance.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I dropped my sensitivity a lot and it seems it helped my tracking a lot. I'm sitting at 1750 DPI and 6 sensitivity in-game, but a 180 is about half of my mousepad which feels like a bit too much to cover. Is this about where I should be if I want to be a **pro gamer**?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also someone please control my brother he's saying Mei both destroys McCree and is a better pick in pub play.