Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

sean10mm posted:

When your success depends on pandering to the lowest common denominator of racist white garbage, at some point someone was going to realize that they could derail the whole thing by openly promising what everyone else was just hinting at.
Well, it wouldn't have worked if everyone else wasn't divided, which is part of what I think they were banking on. There were never enough Trump supporters to get a majority until the only other choice was Ted goddamn Cruz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Now that we don't have a SCOTUS dedicated to forwarding the Republican agenda, our chances got a lot better.

But yeah if stuff's hard we should not do it. We chose to go to the moon because it was easy.

and the other thing

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Naga Warlord posted:

Here's the full context of that quote:

Yes, the LGBT community owes many thanks to Roberts, Scalia, Thomas, and Alito for fighting for their rights!

Scalia was very happy to rule in favor of gay marriage equality. "Applesauce" he said, jubilantly!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I found it shocking at the time that the Gay Marriage decision was 5-4 when the Obamacare decision was 6-3.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

This is awesome and I hope it is a sign of things to come.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

RuanGacho posted:

This is awesome and I hope it is a sign of things to come.

Well then I've got some good news for you.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/742775258948767744?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Shageletic posted:

Its a public health issue. Liberalism (progressivism) from its earliest days have been associated with public health causes.

There are certainly public health aspects. Mandatory safety training, universal background checks and safe storage all fit in from a liberal standpoint. Banning private ownership of weapons is a way more prescriptive an approach than makes sense in that framework though. It would be equivalent to banning alcohol or tobacco or installing governors on all cars to cap them at 65mph.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A reminder, here's Trump QUOTE on that

quote:

Obama’s attack on the internet is another top down power grab. Net neutrality is the Fairness Doctrine. Will target conservative media.

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 12, 2014

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

theflyingorc posted:

Well, it wouldn't have worked if everyone else wasn't divided, which is part of what I think they were banking on. There were never enough Trump supporters to get a majority until the only other choice was Ted goddamn Cruz.

The big mass of candidates certainly helped Trump, but the divisions go right through the GOP primary electorate itself.

The GOP beating down Trump would have required the religious fanatic minority and the business vermin minority to unite behind a candidate who both were enthusiastic about to out-vote the white bigoted human garbage minority that Trump controlled.

Only thing is, there was no such person. Cruz was only liked by the religious nutbars, Rubio and Bush were pure establishment puppets, and nobody gave a poo poo about Kasich either way. There was no George W. Bush to say the nice stuff involving Jesus while still pleasing business and sounding like an approximation of a human.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Wakko posted:

There are certainly public health aspects. Mandatory safety training, universal background checks and safe storage all fit in from a liberal standpoint. Banning private ownership of weapons is a way more prescriptive an approach than makes sense in that framework though. It would be equivalent to banning alcohol or tobacco or installing governors on all cars to cap them at 65mph.

Actually, given the extremely high rates at which white men use guns in lethal autoselfdefense, banning the private ownership of handguns or requiring them to be kept at a licensed shooting range, at a very minimum, is a major public health interest.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
^^^ This guy gets it ^^^

Wakko posted:

Which is why reasonable gun control are things like safety training, universal background checks, and heavily restricting handguns instead of just banning all guns outright.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Disney donates $1 million to help after Pulse shooting as city creates fund

quote:

Mayor Buddy Dyer announced the One Orlando fund at Monday night's vigil at the Dr. Phillip's Center for the Performing Arts, including a $500,000 donation from Darden Restaurants, and $100,000 donations from air carrier JetBlue and the Orlando Magic.

Disney's donation was confirmed by the City of Orlando.

e;

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 14, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wakko posted:

I see this as overly simplistic.

When you speak to a group of violent theocrats and tell them they need to protect "babies", and one of them murders an abortion doctor, your speech shares responsibility.
When a prosecutor is forced to release a mugger on bail and he goes on to kill a family in a home invasion, due process shares responsibility for the loss of their lives.
When you shoot at the man violently assaulting you, you are definitely depriving him of his life and his rights and that is your right as a citizen of a free society.

I don't think due process shares any responsibility for not convicting a mugger of the future crime of murder.

Show me speech that's designed to literally kill the recipient (ala BLIT) and maybe I'll argue it should be regulated like guns.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

There is a ton of gay cast that frequented that club and I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit to find out that a few cast members were victims.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wakko posted:

Are you confusing libertarianism with liberalism? Because the latter two positions are not intrinsically at odds with what is traditionally defined as liberalism or progressivism, and the former was in fact championed by its more fervent 20th century supporters.

John Locke wrote about liberty yes, but he also wrote about the protection of lives as being the other central tenet of governance. The inviolability of gun rights is a relatively recent phenomena, and certainly not one believed in by those who disagree with Heller.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

A Winner is Jew posted:

There is a ton of gay cast that frequented that club and I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit to find out that a few cast members were victims.

JK Rowling tweeted a picture of a member of the HP Experience who was shot.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Neat, I've got a little extra cash and was thinking about getting some carry out tonight, maybe I'll get some Olive Garden

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Shageletic posted:

Are you confusing libertarianism with liberalism? Because the latter two positions are not intrinsically at odds with what is traditionally defined as liberalism or progressivism, and the former was in fact championed by its more fervent 20th century supporters.

John Locke wrote about liberty yes, but he also wrote about the protection of lives as being the other central tenet of governance. The inviolability of gun rights is a relatively recent phenomena, and certainly not one believed in by those who disagree with Heller.

Reminder that Republicans supported Gun Control for years, with no ideological problems.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

There were at least one cast member and another couple who worked in Tomorrowland and the Harry Potter ride. JK Rowling wrote an effecting eulogy for the latter.

EDIT:

quote:

Luis Vielma worked on the Harry Potter ride at Universal. He was 22 years old. I can't stop crying. #Orlando pic.twitter.com/Nz2ZCWxNsS
— J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) June 13, 2016

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 14, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is Disney pretty good on gay issues (you know for a multi national faceless corporate machine)? I know they had unofficial "Gay Days" in the park for years and years even before public opinion changed, but as far as their policies?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

gonna just leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie_mfsInJjY

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Is Disney pretty good on gay issues (you know for a multi national faceless corporate machine)? I know they had unofficial "Gay Days" in the park for years and years even before public opinion changed, but as far as their policies?

They're an evil corporation who treat their workers like poo poo, but they don't discriminate.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Shageletic posted:

Thanks, I was looking for this the other day when someone asked him about "Brexit" and for once he had the brains to ask for clarification about what the gently caress the term meant (which was also pretty damning) before launching down an answer that clearly indicates he hasn't the foggiest idea what he's angrily talking about.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Next up: the fight over banning the ISPs from selling or using customer browsing habits for any purpose other than maintaining their network.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

zoux posted:

They don't discriminate against LGBT as far as I know, just Soviet premiers and filthy hippies. Gay Days isn't organized by Disney but their policy has been to treat it like any other day.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Shageletic posted:

The Heck. Man that is a pretty stunning misunderstanding of the most basic aspects of the issue.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

brutal. http://www.mtv.com/news/2892805/you-must-remember-this/

just another plug, too, btw at what a fantastic job the mtv politics crew has been doing since it launched

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

showbiz_liz posted:

The Heck. Man that is a pretty stunning misunderstanding of the most basic aspects of the issue.

Odd use of the definite article there.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They're an evil corporation who treat their workers like poo poo, but they don't discriminate.

Not just don't discriminate, but they're actually pretty supportive since if you show up to a park with a red shirt during gay days (traditionally this meant you were gay or supportive) and you didn't want to identify as that you could go to city hall and they would give you a non red Disney shirt for free.

They've also sold these for loving years:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

brutal. http://www.mtv.com/news/2892805/you-must-remember-this/

just another plug, too, btw at what a fantastic job the mtv politics crew has been doing since it launched

From what I understand, they've been snapping up legit good writers at bargain rates because people who write about things from a position of consistency and intelligent analysis aren't in demand atm

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/dnewhauser/status/742808869487939585

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

From what I understand, they've been snapping up legit good writers at bargain rates because people who write about things from a position of consistency and intelligent analysis aren't in demand atm

Yeah, plus their leader (Holly Anderson) is loving amazing.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

God he's fucker

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Shageletic posted:

John Locke also had to flee England for literally conspiring to violently overthrow the monarchy, no? Were you to get his take on how successful the modern US government is at protecting the lives of its people vs. contemporary governments of his time, or even just the remaining distance it has to go to create a perfectly safe society, is it realistic to argue he would consider abolishing private ownership of arms to be in the interests of liberty and equality?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yeah, plus their leader (Holly Anderson) is loving amazing.

Haha no poo poo? Yeah gonna have to work MTV Politics into my rotation, shame I've been ignoring them up until now but all things considered they should've rebranded if they want the >30 like me to stumble on them

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

God he's fucker

What the absolute gently caress

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I fully expect to eventually hear the phrase "it was an American club."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

STAC Goat posted:

Not quite.

https://twitter.com/dnewhauser/status/742809565763362817

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

STAC Goat posted:

It's been a not-uncommon refrain among Very Serious People and conservatives that it was an attack on Freedom, not on gays. By splitting it this way, they can hate both muslims and gays at once.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is a bizarre tactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

:catstare: Holy gently caress, how does the school even HOPE to defend this.

I don't know anything about the case but, the story says it's a private school so if they get a significant judgment against it, the school will likely just file for bankruptcy and then reopen under a new name. I, unfortunately, doubt that the victim or her family will ever see any restitution from this. Also doubtful that any criminal charges will ever be filed. Another day in America.

• Locked thread