Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I just started practicing guitar again after having abandoned it for over a decade (and not being at all committed as a kid anyway). I was practicing for about 2-3 hours every day this weekend and woke up this Monday with some unexpected pains. There's a sore spot in my left forearm, which I suspect is because I was playing power chords kinda hosed up by barring the 2nd and 3rd strings. That was probably causing a lot of strain, so I'll stop cheating and use my pinky. But could it have caused enough strain to somehow leave a straight-up bruise? I also had this pain in my upper right chest that flared up when I moved my shoulder inwards., though I worked it out over the day. Is this at all expected soreness?

That sounds a bit above and beyond normal practice pain, or at least in unusual areas - although going from 0-3 hours in a jump could be a big shock to your muscles. Are you sitting or standing using a strap? If so, how far down is your guitar hanging?

Also, have you been keeping the arm on your fretting hand tensed up the whole time? That could lead to some pain in the areas you're describing. Learning to relax those muscles will take some time, but it's a thing everyone has to do, otherwise no one would be able to play full concerts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I just started practicing guitar again after having abandoned it for over a decade (and not being at all committed as a kid anyway). I was practicing for about 2-3 hours every day this weekend and woke up this Monday with some unexpected pains. There's a sore spot in my left forearm, which I suspect is because I was playing power chords kinda hosed up by barring the 2nd and 3rd strings. That was probably causing a lot of strain, so I'll stop cheating and use my pinky. But could it have caused enough strain to somehow leave a straight-up bruise? I also had this pain in my upper right chest that flared up when I moved my shoulder inwards., though I worked it out over the day. Is this at all expected soreness?

I wouldn't say this is normal at all. Are you stretching properly before & after playing? If you're going to be playing that long, that regularly, I think it's basically a requirement to stretch if you don't want to permanently damage yourself.

Or just play less - set your limit at 1 or maybe 2 hours only, or practice every other day for awhile or something to get back into the swing of things. The worst thing you can do now if you want to take it seriously is take it TOO seriously and then gently caress yourself up and then you either CAN'T play again/often or don't want to because it hurts.

Of course, if this has happened after only 2 days you could have bad posture ( either body, arms/hands, or both ) or bad technique or something where the way you are playing is itself causing problems.

There's tons of examples of recommended stretches, I've referenced these 2 just because I saw them way back when and use bits and piece of them:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-players-room/keep-it-loose-stretches-for-guitarists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSrfB7JIzxY

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I'm so triggered by the way this guitar is strung I had to come here and post it.

http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/msg/5633899645.html

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I'm more curious what constitutes "mojo wear"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Augh jesus christ

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

fullroundaction posted:

I'm so triggered by the way this guitar is strung I had to come here and post it.

http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/msg/5633899645.html

:tizzy:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
if u dont clip your strings youre basically as bad as that syrian pencil eraser lookin motherfucker

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

TollTheHounds posted:

I wouldn't say this is normal at all. Are you stretching properly before & after playing? If you're going to be playing that long, that regularly, I think it's basically a requirement to stretch if you don't want to permanently damage yourself.

Or just play less - set your limit at 1 or maybe 2 hours only, or practice every other day for awhile or something to get back into the swing of things. The worst thing you can do now if you want to take it seriously is take it TOO seriously and then gently caress yourself up and then you either CAN'T play again/often or don't want to because it hurts.

Of course, if this has happened after only 2 days you could have bad posture ( either body, arms/hands, or both ) or bad technique or something where the way you are playing is itself causing problems.

There's tons of examples of recommended stretches, I've referenced these 2 just because I saw them way back when and use bits and piece of them:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-players-room/keep-it-loose-stretches-for-guitarists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSrfB7JIzxY

Yeah, I'm gonna start doing regular stretches now. I'm pretty sure I was also handling the neck kinda hosed up, so I'm gonna be more mindful of that. Right now, the tricky thing is figuring out how to avoid tensing up too much on my left wrist. I guess just stop myself when I get tense and assume that eventually the habit of relaxing will kick in by defualt.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Be mindful of your left hand technique at all times. I've been dealing with a bruised tendon and ganglion cyst on my left index finger for like 2 months now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

if u dont clip your strings youre basically as bad as that syrian pencil eraser lookin motherfucker

Yeah

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

If you're super lazy you can take a pick and do this to them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIWwgVumqKY

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it takes less work to cut them!!!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think I finally get drop X tunings. I've slowly moved my SG from B standard to C, and finally to D where I've got it now mostly to learn some Mastodon songs. In the process I've come to appreciate Drop C a lot and actually wrote some solid riffs in the tuning this morning. I'm not sure why it took me so long, maybe all the terrible drop d metalcore scared me back in the day. It's neat though and I definitely get how it can be a very useful tool to come up with unique riffs.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

muike posted:

*cranks gain, hits unclipped strings for cool harmonic noise*

Winding them the wrong way on the pegs though...

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

I think I finally get drop X tunings. I've slowly moved my SG from B standard to C, and finally to D where I've got it now mostly to learn some Mastodon songs. In the process I've come to appreciate Drop C a lot and actually wrote some solid riffs in the tuning this morning. I'm not sure why it took me so long, maybe all the terrible drop d metalcore scared me back in the day. It's neat though and I definitely get how it can be a very useful tool to come up with unique riffs.

I know this thread loves their metal, but drop tunings are an easy way to play those sonic double-perfect fifth chords (not sure what they're called, like 3-5-7 across consecutive strings in standard tuning) that a lot of shoegaze bands love to use. The verse riff from Soon by My Bloody Valentine is a good example.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

bvoid posted:

I know this thread loves their metal, but drop tunings are an easy way to play those sonic double-perfect fifth chords (not sure what they're called, like 3-5-7 across consecutive strings in standard tuning) that a lot of shoegaze bands love to use. The verse riff from Soon by My Bloody Valentine is a good example.

They're called "sustained chords"

quote:

Guitar Chords with notes G D A
Auto chord namer: Gsus2
suspended chord: chord has no third (no m3 or 3)
chord is sus2: suspended + has 2nd replacing the 3rd

http://www.scales-chords.com/findnotes_en.php?n1=G&n2=D&n3=A&n4=&n5=&n6=&optbass=1&frets=3;5;7;x;x;x

The major triad is root, third, and fifth. So a "sustained" chord swaps out the third for a (major) second, which kinda makes the chord neither major nor minor.

But I stand strong on my dislike of drop D because I'm just an obstinate bastard who likes standard tuning just that much.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

bvoid posted:

Was going to post this same thing, but with pretty much any song by Hum. Whom, I should point out, I rediscovered thanks to this very thread.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

After The War posted:

Was going to post this same thing, but with pretty much any song by Hum. Whom, I should point out, I rediscovered thanks to this very thread.

Yup, I was going to mention Hum as well. A lot of their "huge" guitar sound is because of those sustained chords (thanks for the info Spanish Manlove ^). MBV and Hum are two of my favorite bands, so I'm now a lifelong advocate of that chord.

Jerry Seinfeld fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 14, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kilometers Davis posted:

Also all those sweet Hatebreed breakdowns to activate Maximum Pit Destruction™.

Also the Melvins. The Alpha and Omega of sick drop tuned riffs.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 14, 2016

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I'm nearly there in my guitar fund to get a new one, so I'm now starting to look more seriously for that "special something" that calls to me to either use for alternate tunings or to make my standard and turn my SG into the alternate.

It's basically: V vs. Les Paul .

I've always wanted a V, but in practical terms I've never played one - I know the answer is to go into a store and try one out, and I will - but I'm curious to know anyone else's opinions on V's in general.

Is always having to play in "classical" position a pain? I feel like it would help me with playing standing up which I almost never do, because it's so weird since my hand positions are all different. But, realistically I'll probably play sitting most of the time and while I currently warm up in "classical" position with an acoustic, resting my left leg on a cat scratcher, I rarely stay in position for more than 30 minutes - when I might play for 2-3 hours total.

ESP has lots of V's in a variety of ranges but the Schecter's I only really see 2, and not a single Canadian dealer in my area carries the brand:

1) a Local Demon V-1 FR ( w/ Tremolo, that I don't really care or want )
2) a Sin Quirin sig ( I'm not a big Ministry guy but it looks cool ) [now with link] https://reverb.com/item/2116423-schecter-sin-quirin-v-1-electric-guitar-satin-black-248-81544701653

I feel like the Sin one is probably the best bang for the buck in terms of the the quality you get for the price ( I've seen on Reverb from 650-800 ), but I also don't know poo poo about Schecter.

The flip side to this is that I've played a friends Les Paul and while I didn't think the shape would make much difference from my SG, something about it just feels really comfortable to play. I suppose that alone should be enough to go that route but, I've always wanted a stupidly impractically shaped guitar - like a V, warlock, or whatever.

However, I think I could be really happy with a Les Paul style and some EMG 81's or something based purely on this Devin Townsend EMGtv thing ( even though his custom is a Framus ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nubJjB95VdY

Edit to further add: If it matters if someone else has a suggestion for a good V (or other impractical style), in terms of brands, I'm looking at ESP, Schecter, Epiphone ( I just can't get into Fender's, Dean, Jackson ), and my budget is 500-1000 so that rules out Gibson.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 14, 2016

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I usually just hook my leg around the bottom horn of my (gibson style) V and sit a little further forward. It pushes it into a fairly comfortable position but I'm just as likely to stand up and play it.

Schecter makes solid guitars as long as it's from their higher end (WMI made) series. Anything above the SGR range, I think.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

They're called suspended chords, before this gets too purple monkey dishwasher

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My Les Paul is mildly uncomfy to play sat down, oddly

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

TollTheHounds posted:

my budget is 500-1000 so that rules out Gibson.
Faded cherry V's can be had for <$1000, if you want to go that route.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

peter gabriel posted:

My Les Paul is mildly uncomfy to play sat down, oddly

:same:

In fact, I do 95% of my playing standing up nowadays. It's weird, when I first started playing again, I was way more comfortable sitting, I think having the thing resting on my leg felt more secure or whatever. And I was definitely gripping the neck WAY too hard, and it felt like everything wanted to move around too much with the guitar hanging from a strap. But now that I've learned a lighter touch, I basically hate playing without the freedom to sort of rock the gently caress out when I get in that groove, and sitting feels too confining and cramped, especially for upper fret access (thanks, gut).

Edit: in fact I think LPs are the worst for this, since the upper bout is so small the notch is pushed way towards the neck, which means when it rests on your leg, the whole guitar is pushed to the right, which means I need to crank my strumming arm out pretty far and choke up more on the frets. Classical positions way more comfortable on my LP but still awkward since I don't play anything else that way.

What I'm saying is, the Les Paul is an ergonomic disaster.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 14, 2016

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Schpyder posted:

:What I'm saying is, the Les Paul is an ergonomic disaster.

I always feel like I'm playing a small log with a Les Paul.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

jwh posted:

Faded cherry V's can be had for <$1000, if you want to go that route.

Nice thanks, I've seen a few on Reverb so I'll see if I can find one local.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the Gibsons just based on cost, since I kind of want one either with EMG's/Seymour Duncan actives already built-in, but it may be my best bet anyway as pickings are pretty slim.

Gorgar posted:

This made me laugh and I think I can see what you're saying, I just found it really comfortable though for some reason. More so than my SG, but then maybe you might find an SG like playing a log also IDK.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

TollTheHounds posted:

Nice thanks, I've seen a few on Reverb so I'll see if I can find one local.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the Gibsons just based on cost, since I kind of want one either with EMG's/Seymour Duncan actives already built-in, but it may be my best bet anyway as pickings are pretty slim.

This made me laugh and I think I can see what you're saying, I just found it really comfortable though for some reason. More so than my SG, but then maybe you might find an SG like playing a log also IDK.

Unless you're looking for the Gibson scale specifically, if you want emgs with the les paul/v shape, i'd look at esp/ltd stuff. they're drat playable and not generally as over the top visually as Ibanez is, but you already knew that. i think you're on the right track.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 15, 2016

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Gorgar posted:

My log has something to tell you. *wails on a sick riff*

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Oh thank god, I have an ESP/LTD Eclipse which is their Les Paul copy and that guitar is kind of awkward to play sitting down with it on my right knee but on my left leg it's lightly more comfortable. So I was thinking I hosed up by getting the ESP version but it seems like that's a common complaint with LPs in general. Alright I'm cool with that. Poor Boudreaux (you all name your guitars, right?) is fun as hell to play but desperately needs some TLC to address a few problems with the action, however he sounds heavy as gently caress and I totally look past his goofy playability issues.

Edit:

This videos's supposed to be about the drums but all I can think about is how loving awesome that guitar tone is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw7zYploBLc

second edit: seriously that mkIV is loving beastly sounding for some reason.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 15, 2016

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

TollTheHounds posted:

Used Gibson Vs should be in your price range, I think.

SGs are all right. For some reason, Les Pauls are just the second least comfortable guitars I've played, after those Ovation acoustics with the salad bowl on the back.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Flying Vs are rad. You know what else is rad? Firebirds.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

muike posted:

Schecter makes solid guitars as long as it's from their higher end (WMI made) series. Anything above the SGR range, I think.

A left handed friend is looking at a Schecter Omen or an Epiphone LP or something in that price range. Are the Omens well built?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

This just happened and I'm frightened:

Should I post a thread here about trying to build it, or would it be better over in DIY/Hobbies?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
You'll probably get better tips here, some experienced luthier types in this (fixed) neck of the woods

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

AlphaDog posted:

This just happened and I'm frightened:

Should I post a thread here about trying to build it, or would it be better over in DIY/Hobbies?

I was just about to post "just buy a telecaster you gd nerds" :3. Have fun!

Fender custom shop apparently redid their online builder sometime recently and, although I'd never pay their prices (they seem to be more reasonable now at least), this blackout tele config with gold hardware has got me rock hard: http://shop.fender.com/en-US/mod-shop/telecaster/0181901706.html?entryPoint=catalog&recipeId=26031151

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

LPs are weird on the right leg but so are most guitars. Offsets are slightly better but classical position/strapped high enough to fake classical position sitting/standing are king. Switching to classical position can do wonders for your technique and general playability across various guitars.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

spamman posted:

A left handed friend is looking at a Schecter Omen or an Epiphone LP or something in that price range. Are the Omens well built?

I don't know where the Omens are built tbh so I can't really take a guess at it.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

TollTheHounds posted:

I'm nearly there in my guitar fund to get a new one, so I'm now starting to look more seriously for that "special something" that calls to me to either use for alternate tunings or to make my standard and turn my SG into the alternate.

It's basically: V vs. Les Paul .

I've always wanted a V, but in practical terms I've never played one - I know the answer is to go into a store and try one out, and I will - but I'm curious to know anyone else's opinions on V's in general.

Is always having to play in "classical" position a pain? I feel like it would help me with playing standing up which I almost never do, because it's so weird since my hand positions are all different. But, realistically I'll probably play sitting most of the time and while I currently warm up in "classical" position with an acoustic, resting my left leg on a cat scratcher, I rarely stay in position for more than 30 minutes - when I might play for 2-3 hours total.

ESP has lots of V's in a variety of ranges but the Schecter's I only really see 2, and not a single Canadian dealer in my area carries the brand:

1) a Local Demon V-1 FR ( w/ Tremolo, that I don't really care or want )
2) a Sin Quirin sig ( I'm not a big Ministry guy but it looks cool ) [now with link] https://reverb.com/item/2116423-schecter-sin-quirin-v-1-electric-guitar-satin-black-248-81544701653

I feel like the Sin one is probably the best bang for the buck in terms of the the quality you get for the price ( I've seen on Reverb from 650-800 ), but I also don't know poo poo about Schecter.

The flip side to this is that I've played a friends Les Paul and while I didn't think the shape would make much difference from my SG, something about it just feels really comfortable to play. I suppose that alone should be enough to go that route but, I've always wanted a stupidly impractically shaped guitar - like a V, warlock, or whatever.

However, I think I could be really happy with a Les Paul style and some EMG 81's or something based purely on this Devin Townsend EMGtv thing ( even though his custom is a Framus ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nubJjB95VdY

Edit to further add: If it matters if someone else has a suggestion for a good V (or other impractical style), in terms of brands, I'm looking at ESP, Schecter, Epiphone ( I just can't get into Fender's, Dean, Jackson ), and my budget is 500-1000 so that rules out Gibson.

I've got both a Gibson Les Paul and a Gibson Flying V and I can honestly say that I play the V a lot more. I really like both, but the V is lighter, the toggle switch is out of the way (I sometimes find myself hitting the toggle on Les Pauls when I play aggressively), and it has much better fret access. Playing in the classical position isn't really a pain as it mimics the position your guitar is in while playing standing up, and it helps with your posture because you can't lean over the guitar as much due to hooking the guitar around your leg, but it does take some time to get used to if you don't play in that position normally. The pickups are also pretty hot ceramics that can crunch with the best of them.

I don't know what the prices on the used market are in Canada, but in the States a used Gibson V starts around $750 for one in good condition and you could pick up a used faded series for slightly less than that if you don't care about a gloss finish or case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

This videos's supposed to be about the drums but all I can think about is how loving awesome that guitar tone is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw7zYploBLc

second edit: seriously that mkIV is loving beastly sounding for some reason.

The mark III is my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyaRyx2NKu8&t=15s