Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helen Highwater posted:

Here. With finger to show white balance is more-or-less ok.

It's definitely not 220 film, you can see the index marks and Ektar has never been sold as anything except 120, 135 and sheet film.

Yeah, that's turbofucked. Look how pink the base is - it's supposed to be orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Lots of info

The minolta srt looks to be a well liked series and they are cheap as hell. Is the 202 good? As far as I can tell, mirror lock up is the only difference I can see that the 101 has. I'm thinking about bidding on this one here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201597059072

I'm so afraid of buying another cheap film camera that has issues like the fm I have.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Choicecut posted:

The minolta srt looks to be a well liked series and they are cheap as hell. Is the 202 good? As far as I can tell, mirror lock up is the only difference I can see that the 101 has. I'm thinking about bidding on this one here:

I'm so afraid of buying another cheap film camera that has issues like the fm I have.

Use keh.com. They have a 6 month warranty and great customer service. It might cost a bit more than ebay auctions, but they're more trustworthy.

They have a Minolta X700 (which I understand to be a good camera, but I've not used it) for $45.

If you want to stay Nikon they have an FE for $79 and an FE2 for $109.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Gobs of minolta chat

I got lucky with my XD's - bought a black body with a broken spool that came with an extra chrome parts body and sent them both to a repair guy. Meanwhile found a deal on another untested chrome body and grabbed it to have a spare - of course it runs great and I shoot it more often that the other. But between the 2 bodies for different speeds/monochrome/color and the 24, 35, and 85, it's a really enjoyable setup.

CP - Minolta XD-11
by Bud, on Flickr

CP - Black Minolta XD-11 3
by Bud, on Flickr

CP - Black Minolta XD-11
by Bud, on Flickr

Then again a spotmatic with a nice 50 is no slouch.

CP - Pentax Spotmatic
by Bud, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

MrBlandAverage posted:

Yeah, that's turbofucked. Look how pink the base is - it's supposed to be orange.

I took it back to the shop, they had no idea what the problem was. They only develop 135 film in house, 120 gets sent off to a lab in Bratislava. I have no idea what they are going to do about it, we had a long discussion but it wasn't very productive because they were speaking Slovakian to me which I don't understand, and I was speaking Russian to them which they only vaguely understand. I'm going back on monday to collect the next batch of 135 negatives, I'd better get at least a replacement roll of 120 out of it. They tried to suggest that my camera might be the problem but I don't see how that's possible without some kind of colour filter or some really weird lens coating.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

^^^^ yeah a replacement roll or two of 120 film seems like the least they could do to make up for... whatever the hell that was.

Choicecut posted:

The mirror lock up on the 101 is IMO a necessary feature if you want to do long exposure / low light / night landscape stuff, the kind you might see posted in the landscape thread. The lack of MLU on the newer Minolta bodies is the biggest oversight of their design in my eyes. XD11s are supposed to be so smooth (ie vibrations from the mirror flipping up are normally dampened) that MLU isn't necessary, but I haven't found that to be the case in practice. Then again, my XD has a pretty worn-out shutter/mirror box.

Bud posted:

I got lucky with my XD's - bought a black body with a broken spool that came with an extra chrome parts body and sent them both to a repair guy. Meanwhile found a deal on another untested chrome body and grabbed it to have a spare - of course it runs great and I shoot it more often that the other. But between the 2 bodies for different speeds/monochrome/color and the 24, 35, and 85, it's a really enjoyable setup.

CP - Minolta XD-11
by Bud, on Flickr

CP - Black Minolta XD-11 3
by Bud, on Flickr

CP - Black Minolta XD-11
by Bud, on Flickr

Then again a spotmatic with a nice 50 is no slouch.

CP - Pentax Spotmatic
by Bud, on Flickr

Those are some nice cameras. Especially the all-black XD. I actually have two XDs- one user with a nice body but a 'quirky' shutter, and a shelf-sitter that's all banged up and corroded but seems to have much smoother mechanics. I really should combine the guts from the one with the body of the other sometime. I did something similar with two Kiev-60s a while back... still need to make my post about that project in the sovcam thread.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 11, 2016

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helen Highwater posted:

I took it back to the shop, they had no idea what the problem was. They only develop 135 film in house, 120 gets sent off to a lab in Bratislava. I have no idea what they are going to do about it, we had a long discussion but it wasn't very productive because they were speaking Slovakian to me which I don't understand, and I was speaking Russian to them which they only vaguely understand. I'm going back on monday to collect the next batch of 135 negatives, I'd better get at least a replacement roll of 120 out of it. They tried to suggest that my camera might be the problem but I don't see how that's possible without some kind of colour filter or some really weird lens coating.

Yeah, it's not just the exposed parts of the film though. Somebody hosed up with the chemistry big time.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

MrBlandAverage posted:

Yeah, it's not just the exposed parts of the film though. Somebody hosed up with the chemistry big time.

Very much so, the negs look like some Aerochrome I processed in C-41 a few years ago

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Before I go making an account on APUG or photo.net to ask people there about it, let me ask anyone here who owns a nikon FE2, FM2, or FA, does this shutter blade arrangement match yours?

(Shutter in unwound position)

Specifically, the top blade. Should the end stick out above the rest (on what would be the left side of the shutter, if you were looking at it from normal orientation)? I wonder, because I am getting a little bit of overexposure on the bottom of my negatives and I think that top blade may be the culprit. Dammit, I bought a near-mint FE2 exactly in the hopes that I wouldn't have to worry about stuff like this. Overexposure on the bottom of the frame is the same problem my old Minolta XD has. I guess the Nikon titanium shutter is notorious for its delicacy, but I didn't find that out until I started researching more after this problem appeared. I think maybe the film leader could have grazed it when I was loading/rewinding.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 12, 2016

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Specifically, the top blade. Should the end stick out above the rest (on what would be the left side of the shutter, if you were looking at it from normal orientation)? I wonder, because I am getting a little bit of overexposure on the bottom of my negatives and I think that top blade may be the culprit. Dammit, I bought a near-mint FE2 exactly in the hopes that I wouldn't have to worry about stuff like this. Overexposure on the bottom of the frame is the same problem my old Minolta XD has. I guess the Nikon titanium shutter is notorious for its delicacy, but I didn't find that out until I started researching more after this problem appeared. I think maybe the film leader could have grazed it when I was loading/rewinding.

When Cosina took over production of the FM series for Nikon, back in the early/mid-2000's, they released steel shutter replacements for most Nikon bodies, going back at least as far as the FE2 (as far as I remember). The shutter is the same one in the newer FM and Bessa models, and is loud as gently caress relative to most rangefinder shutters in the case of the Bessa, but is solid as a rock.

They do not appear to make these kits anymore, but you might be able to find a kit somewhere, or a junky camera body that had one of the kits installed then relocate it.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah, I found a listing for what appears to be a highly rated old camera repair shop not too far from where I live, and it's likely that they'll replace the shutter with one of the newer aluminum models if I take it in, so I'm not too worried about trying to very carefully slide that top blade back into its proper position, because I have an out if I gently caress it up. But I'm not sure if that's even what needs to be done. Maybe the shutter blade is supposed to stick out like that? If there isn't a visible fault with the shutter then maybe I can get away with just a cla to fix the issue.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.
Yeah one nice thing about Japan is that all of the decent used camera shops have repair facilities and do CLAs. Downside: no cheap film cameras. Upside: well maintained film cameras. (My Bessa T is green/black and was probably originally purchased to live on a shelf, just for it's Heliar 3.5/50 which was probably slapped on a Leica and trashed, and it was still de-greased, re-springed, and re-greased from 15 years of living in a box - the repairs are noted on the CLA "report card" that came with the camera.) There are shops that do not do repairs/CLA, e.g. Lemon Camera and all its various branches, but since they are competing with people who do repairs/CLA work they just discount slightly from that price and aren't a great deal unless you are looking for junk to salvage.

Also, to be more relevant, I have never seen a titanium shutter in person on a Nikon body as every one I have seen has been in a shop, used, with a replaced shutter. I suspect most of the local shops do pre-emptive replacements if they do encounter one. This is the best picture I can find of a stock shutter:

http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfeseries/fe2/fe2g.htm

Looks pretty drat flush to me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Can someone comfort me and tell me everything will be alright if I try to use a manual flash with a manual film camera?

It's like some incomprehensible dark art that I just don't understand. Do I just set my camera to 125x, and then set my flash to the proper ISO/distance? I guess I should just experiment, but I want to do this with life music photos because I'm a glutton for punishment.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

Can someone comfort me and tell me everything will be alright if I try to use a manual flash with a manual film camera?

It's like some incomprehensible dark art that I just don't understand. Do I just set my camera to 125x, and then set my flash to the proper ISO/distance? I guess I should just experiment, but I want to do this with life music photos because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Shutter speed is irrelvant to flash, the X is shorthand, just means its the sync speed for focal plane shutters (most), but you can go slower (usually). Leaf shutters have no sync speed issues.

I would find a flash that takes guide numbers as input, then:

gn = (distance * aperture) / sqrt(isospeed/100)

Works for ft or meters so long as the flash is properly configured.

I use an Olypus FL-600R.

edit: "what happens if you shoot faster than the sync speed" varies by camera, sometimes no flash, sometimes reduced flash you can compensate for.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah, I found a listing for what appears to be a highly rated old camera repair shop not too far from where I live, and it's likely that they'll replace the shutter with one of the newer aluminum models if I take it in, so I'm not too worried about trying to very carefully slide that top blade back into its proper position, because I have an out if I gently caress it up. But I'm not sure if that's even what needs to be done. Maybe the shutter blade is supposed to stick out like that? If there isn't a visible fault with the shutter then maybe I can get away with just a cla to fix the issue.

Saw your post in the buy sell thread. Here's what mine looks like, sorry I couldn't get a better angle:

I can tell you that yours is definitely hosed =\ It looks like it's come off the track, the blade on mine is definitely below it, and all the blades are flush up against each other at the same amount.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Thanks for taking a look. Now I know what I need to do. Much appreciated!

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah you set your shutter speed to 125x or slower (more ambient light will be let in but exposure will not be affected), focus on your subject, then check on the flash which f stop you need to be using based on the distance to subject (since you've already focused, you can just look at the distance scale on the lens), and use that recommended f stop. And yes, make sure the iso is set.

I would recommend using an auto thyristor flash if you can get one. It has a sensor on the front that turns the flash off when enough light has hit your subject. The cool thing is that they work with bounce flashes too. They typically have 2 or 3 auto modes and matching f stops for various ranges. It's almost like using a TTL flash except compatible with literally any manual film camera

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I'm getting resistance going to concerts with the XT1 and am considering a cheap point and shoot film camera. I have a pentax 90wr, but I'm not a huge fan cause its completely auto. Would it be stupid for getting a small compact 35mm with manual controls for concerts? I was looking at a Ricoh 500G (cheap), Rollei 35 and an Olympus 35SP. Would I be better off scrapping the film idea and sticking to a compact mirrorless like a ricoh gr or sony rx100. I even condered getting the 27mm pancake for the XT, but I think it would still be too "professional" to a security person that doesn't know much about cameras.

To simplify my question, would I be able to get good photos with a small 35mm at a concert with high speed film?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Choicecut posted:

To simplify my question, would I be able to get good photos with a small 35mm at a concert with high speed film?

You're barking up the wrong tree. You'll get photos but unless you're interested in high grain high contrast shots only it's not worth it. Digital is far superior for low-light performance.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

ansel autisms posted:

You're barking up the wrong tree. You'll get photos but unless you're interested in high grain high contrast shots only it's not worth it. Digital is far superior for low-light performance.

Out of interest, what would you guys recommend for shooting in low light with a 35mm camera? I'm new to this and so far have only really shot on 200/400 outside, because I'm aware that shooting in poor light is probably going to be poo poo (my ME Super's light meter makes this very obvious, lol). I took a few photos inside a gallery and the shutter speed automatically went so low that I thought it was jammed, though I did actually get a very cool picture out of this by accident.

Basically the whole time I've been with my camera I've been wondering what will happen or what to do when it gets a bit dark. I don't mind some grain, and would like to take some pictures in the evening/night outside - should I get 800 film for this? And how much does the 2x or 4x exposure setting on the camera help? How bad are shots on 200/400 film going to look if there's not a lot of light?

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

ansel autisms posted:

Thanks, that pretty much settles that.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Paperhouse posted:

Out of interest, what would you guys recommend for shooting in low light with a 35mm camera? I'm new to this and so far have only really shot on 200/400 outside, because I'm aware that shooting in poor light is probably going to be poo poo (my ME Super's light meter makes this very obvious, lol). I took a few photos inside a gallery and the shutter speed automatically went so low that I thought it was jammed, though I did actually get a very cool picture out of this by accident.

Basically the whole time I've been with my camera I've been wondering what will happen or what to do when it gets a bit dark. I don't mind some grain, and would like to take some pictures in the evening/night outside - should I get 800 film for this? And how much does the 2x or 4x exposure setting on the camera help? How bad are shots on 200/400 film going to look if there's not a lot of light?

HP5/Tri-X/Portra 400 all shot at 1600+ are your best bets, with the B/W usable to ~3200 depending on light, developed in high concentrate solution like rodinal stand or diafine.

To choicecut, yes a GR/RX is a much, much better idea.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

365 Nog Hogger posted:

To choicecut, yes a GR/RX is a much, much better idea.

Thanks for the input. There are so many freaking options for cameras that it makes my head spin. All with hefty price tags.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Anyone with Minolta SR-T experience know if the self-timer pre-fires the mirror as an alternative to a proper mirror lock-up, since that feature is missing on later SR-Ts?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
It doesn't.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I have had some success with film at concerts using 800 film and some expired 3200 B&W that I got for cheap. To get even close to a salvageable exposure though, I had to shoot wide open (f/2.8 with my medium format camera) and that very much limits the kind of shot you can get. Also, unless you're right up against the stage, it's hard as gently caress to keep your subject in focus with that kind of DoF.

Also, also, your keeper rate is going to suck unless the lighting is extremely consistent or you are incredibly good at anticipating lighting changes.

https://flic.kr/p/FJmKUj

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Here's a shot from a gig I took a few years ago with a 50/1.7 ME Super with Neopan 1600 (I wasn't into dusting/cloning back then)

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

^^^Nice picture-in-picture shot you've got there. ^^^

What about Natura 1600 and Delta 3200? How does Portra 400 (why 400 instead of 800?) pushed to 1600 and HP5 pushed to 3200 compare to the purpose-made high-speed stocks?

Oh, and by the way, here's what happened with the FE2 shutter:

Following a video I found on youtube, I put some heat shrink on a pair of pliers and... twisted the top blade back into the track on the side :aaa:

The top edge of the offending blade now sits ~pretty much flush~. Still, the blade had been out of place long so long that it still bowed outwards at the bottom even after reseating. I tried to bend it back a little bit and while improved it's now kind of crinkly.

Well, poo poo. Too bad. I really liked the way the honeycomb design looked before it got all hosed up. Now it will be a permanent reminder of how I should have done more research and always taken care to completely rewind my film (or been more carful when spooling the film - I'm not sure how the blade got pulled out originally).

Did it work? It looks like there's a little spacer in the top of the film gate that the bowed blade was running up against as it reached the end of it's travel. They don't appear to come into contact any more. Hopefully this means the end of my exposure issue.

Nevermind! Of course the shutter is no longer light-tight. I don't know if a light-leak through the shutter was causing the original exposure problem, as it could really only be seen on exposures from speeds around 60-125. Going to the repair shop tomorrow.

Edit: Found this up next on youtube after the instructional video I watched. 20x24 polaroid camera. Insane.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 13, 2016

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Shoot Delta Pro 3200 pushed to 12800 .

On a different note, if I shoot Ektachrome 160T in daylight, how hosed will it be?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
It will be really blue but you can probably correct it for the most part after scanning. I've been shooting portra 100t in daylight with an 85A filter and it's been coming out really nice.

https://flic.kr/p/HMVHL3

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Little different question than usual. I am putting together some film cases with a grab bag of films as presents for some friends who shoot a lot of film, and I'm looking for some good ideas on unusual stocks.

I'm already planning on Natura and Acros as some more obscure stocks, maybe some Ilford 3200 or 50 ISO, but what do you guys love to shoot that may not be a typically available film? What expired stuff should I look for? (35mm or 120 format).

E: want to avoid gimmicky Lomography stuff like redscale.

Hokkaido Anxiety fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 13, 2016

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Shellman posted:

Little different question than usual. I am putting together some film cases with a grab bag of films as presents for some friends who shoot a lot of film, and I'm looking for some good ideas on unusual stocks.

I'm already planning on Natura and Acros as some more obscure stocks, maybe some Ilford 3200 or 50 ISO, but what do you guys love to shoot that may not be a typically available film? What expired stuff should I look for? (35mm or 120 format).

SilverMax (rebadged Agfa Scala) is really good. Any of the E6 films will be pretty distinctive. Plus-X is still available if you look hard enough (Photo Warehouse respools it from bulk). I'll miss that when it's gone.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Yond Cassius posted:

SilverMax (rebadged Agfa Scala) is really good. Any of the E6 films will be pretty distinctive. Plus-X is still available if you look hard enough (Photo Warehouse respools it from bulk). I'll miss that when it's gone.

Good looking out! Seeing your name reminds me that I should see if I can find any astia as well.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Shellman posted:

Pretty sure Oriental New Seagull 400 is Japan only, and to me it's a nice middle ground between the clarity of Neopan 100 and roughness of Tri-X 400 and has been super impressive for flash photography for me. Dev times are on the box, I like it more than the Rollei RPX 400.

If you can't find it online and you have a few weeks I can head to Shinjuku and pick some up, but shipping will be a bitch. The street price is 800 yen for a 135-36.

edit: Typo + note: Despite speculation online, NSG is not rebranded Kentmere, but it is made by Ilford. The dev times are unique and the film base itself is a lot more rigid than Kentmere 400 (which costs more in Japan). Seems to be a custom formulation.

windex fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 13, 2016

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Shellman posted:

Rollei and the Adox range, along with stuff like this:
https://www.macodirect.de/en/film/film-bundles/

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
So I got some Tri-X with the idea of pushing it to 1600 - if I do this, am I still going to be able to get decent pictures in daylight at all? Or should I not really try

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

So I got some Tri-X with the idea of pushing it to 1600 - if I do this, am I still going to be able to get decent pictures in daylight at all? Or should I not really try

Sure, go ahead.Of course make sure your camera has some very fast shutter speeds, at least 1/1000s and ideally you may want up to 1/4000s.
I found a camera with a half finished roll of Tri-X a little while ago, which I apparently begun at EI 3200... I ended up shooting most of the remaining frames as 1/2000s f/16.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It will be fine as long as you step down and use fast shutter speeds.

E: fb

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I think I may have mixed my D-76 developer wrong. I poured the mix into 3 liters of heated water and stirred, and then put those into mason jars. At the time I think I figured you would add the water to get it to 3.8 liters when you do the actual developing. Thinking about it now, that doesn't make sense. Is this batch ruined?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Depends if you got the gallon mix. If so, just dilute it to 3.8, then when you use it you re-dilute to 1:1 or 1:3 or whatever.