Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zombie Samurai posted:

Trump has 50% of the white male vote.

Romney had 62%.

Yikes.

Yeah, honestly that's a result that makes me a bit skeptical of this poll that also makes me real happy.

Every other poll I've seen has him killing it with white men so, you know, grains of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Trump has 50% of the white male vote.

Romney had 62%.

Yikes.

Questions and methods here: http://assets.bwbx.io/documents/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/rc0NltTBR0ug/v0

I think this is nice too

How would you describe your enthusiasm for Hillary Clinton as the presumptive Democratic nominee—
very enthusiastic, fairly enthusiastic, just somewhat enthusiastic, or not enthusiastic? (Asked only of
Clinton supporters; n=332. MoE: ±5.4 percentage points.)
43 Very enthusiastic
22 Fairly enthusiastic
25 Just somewhat enthusiastic
11 Not enthusiastic
- Not sure

How would you describe your enthusiasm for Donald Trump as the presumptive Republican nominee—
very enthusiastic, fairly enthusiastic, just somewhat enthusiastic, or not enthusiastic? (Asked only of
Trump supporters; n=333 MoE: ±5.4 percentage points.)
33 Very enthusiastic
24 Fairly enthusiastic
30 Just somewhat enthusiastic
12 Not enthusiastic
- Not sure

For each of the following candidates, please tell me if the person is becoming more appealing to you or
less appealing. (Rotate list.)
Asked only of likely voters; n=750. MoE: ±3.6
percentage points.
More appealing
Less appealing
Same
Not sure
A. Hillary Clinton 46 51 2 -
B. Donald Trump 33 64 2 1

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Has there ever been a solution or methodology change to polling, since most under-40s don't have landlines at all and calling people's cell phones is still kind of illegal?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Meanwhile, Bernie Sanders give Trump some talking points.

quote:

"The time is ... long overdue for a fundamental transformation of the Democratic Party"

https://twitter.com/politico/status/742797809259302912

quote:

We have to replace the current DNC leadership. We need someone who vigorously supports bringing people into the political process.

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/742827722116718592

Sanders: Replace DNC leadership

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Yeah, honestly that's a result that makes me a bit skeptical of this poll that also makes me real happy.

Every other poll I've seen has him killing it with white men so, you know, grains of salt.

Yeah, unfortunately I have to be skeptical too, because it looks like they did not lead off with the horse race question for their polls, which is usually a big flaw. Its fine to ask how likely you are to vote first, but after that you need to start with the horse race question so that your other questions do not sway them one way or the other.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

MariusLecter posted:

Meanwhile, Bernie Sanders give Trump some talking points.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/742797809259302912

Old man yells at cloud

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They're an evil corporation who treat their workers like poo poo, but they don't discriminate.

:911:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Naga Warlord posted:

Here's the full context of that quote:

Yes, the LGBT community owes many thanks to Roberts, Scalia, Thomas, and Alito for fighting for their rights!

Scalia probably made the strongest argument for legalizing same sex marriage even though he was trying to argue against it at the time. :eng101:

Can't wait to see what the telecomms do with their appeal in November when Clinton wins and we either get Garland confirmed or Clinton gets to make a pick right off the bat and they have to decide if they want to waste time and money appealing to a court that will be at best 5-4 against them and at worst might be 6+ against them.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Everblight posted:

Has there ever been a solution or methodology change to polling, since most under-40s don't have landlines at all and calling people's cell phones is still kind of illegal?

Its not illegal to poll cell phones, just expensive since they have to have a live person to poll a cell phone.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Everblight posted:

Automatic cell phone dialing is illegal; manual dialing is not.

A few years ago, pollsters were avoiding cellphones because of the manual labor involved. Nowadays, any polling firm worth their salt is contacting landlines, and they've increased their prices to cover the cost of having interviewers have to manually dial to compensate. lovely polling firms are still going to have garbage methods, but for most reputable pollsters it's a non-issue now.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Northjayhawk posted:

Its not illegal to poll cell phones, just expensive since they have to have a live person to poll a cell phone.

Pollster here: Not illegal at all, we do it all the time. It's illegal in some states to autodial to cell phones, but that doesn't stop us.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Northjayhawk posted:

Yeah, unfortunately I have to be skeptical too, because it looks like they did not lead off with the horse race question for their polls, which is usually a big flaw. Its fine to ask how likely you are to vote first, but after that you need to start with the horse race question so that your other questions do not sway them one way or the other.

His trend line is real bad though, so that's good.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Holy poo poo this owns. This is scathing and the line about how politicians fall under the protection of those who work to fight ISIS, pause "even those who tweet", was awesome.

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

zoux posted:

So when do we start hearing chatter about a convention coup? The convention is a month away, Trump's furiously digging a pit straight to hell, and GOP politicians refuse to even mention his name in public.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Sanders isn't wrong, but it seems like a really odd time to start banging that drum.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

So when do we start hearing chatter about a convention coup? The convention is a month away, Trump's furiously digging a pit straight to hell, and GOP politicians refuse to even mention his name in public.

I'm wondering how long before Dems winning the House becomes a possibility.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Meat Recital posted:

Sanders isn't wrong, but it seems like a really odd time to start banging that drum.

Isn't DWS stepping down as chair of the DNC after this cycle anyway?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zoux posted:

God drat, if Hillary has a Reagen-esque trouncing of Trump, I don't even know how hard I will celebrate on election night.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WampaLord posted:

God drat, if Hillary has a Reagen-esque trouncing of Trump, I don't even know how hard I will celebrate on election night.

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/742833898099515393

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

wasn't this supposed to be a speech about the shooting

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Meat Recital posted:

I'm wondering how long before Dems winning the House becomes a possibility.

A long way, but people are talking about it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...3b45_story.html

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Don't stop I'm almost there.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Fox Ironic posted:

Pollster here: Not illegal at all, we do it all the time. It's illegal in some states to autodial to cell phones, but that doesn't stop us.

Fact specific, but the TCPA covers pollsters too

Caveat: TCPA depends on the type of call and how it's done, so it depends on how the polling company conducts the calls

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 14, 2016

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I just don't think there is a viable strategy and if it did happen the nomination would almost certainly go to Cruz, something the GOPe views almost as bad as Trump. It's pretty much too late, they hosed up and now all they can do is go down with the ship :getin:. The anti-Trump faction still suffers from the same collective action problem they have had this entire time, they all don't want Trump but there's no agreement on who would replace him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Meat Recital posted:

I like a lot of Bernie's policies and all but he doesn't strike me as a terrible skilled politician.

Like, isn't this the stuff you should be negotiating privately with Hillary? Make a deal for some policy commitments, a speaker slot at the Convention, and a favorable replacement for DWS or something? No?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I like a lot of Bernie's policies and all but he doesn't strike me as a terrible skilled politician.

Like, isn't this the stuff you should be negotiating privately with Hillary? Make a deal for some policy commitments, a speaker slot at the Convention, and a favorable replacement for DWS or something? No?

He thought he'd have a lot more leverage at this point.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
He thinks he has a lot of leverage at this point. lol

White Male Privilege is strong in this one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

He thought he'd have a lot more leverage at this point.

But that ship sailed last week when he was personally on hand to watch the entire party line up behind Hillary and he publicly announced he'd work with her to beat Trump, no? So what the hell, Bernie? What's the plan?

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Holy poo poo he's so pissed off right now. That little mischievous Trollbama smile betrays him, he's so ready to be done with this poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

But that ship sailed last week when he was personally on hand to watch the entire party line up behind Hillary and he publicly announced he'd work with her to beat Trump, no? So what the hell, Bernie? What's the plan?

I mean, right now he has the entire Democratic establishment pushing him to bring his people into the fold, and his people have been utterly poisoned against HRC, so this is going to be a trickier landing than most. I'm fine with giving him all the latitude he needs. People think that the address he's going to give to his supporters on Thursday is when he'll do it.

Also:
https://twitter.com/CBSDFW/status/742835254994608128

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MaxxBot posted:

I just don't think there is a viable strategy and if it did happen the nomination would almost certainly go to Cruz, something the GOPe views almost as bad as Trump. It's pretty much too late, they hosed up and now all they can do is go down with the ship :getin:. The anti-Trump faction still suffers from the same collective action problem they have had this entire time, they all don't want Trump but there's no agreement on who would replace him.

It should have been Jeb!

:negative:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Oh christ here we go...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

I mean, right now he has the entire Democratic establishment pushing him to bring his people into the fold, and his people have been utterly poisoned against HRC, so this is going to be a trickier landing than most. I'm fine with giving him all the latitude he needs. People think that the address he's going to give to his supporters on Thursday is when he'll do it.

Also:
https://twitter.com/CBSDFW/status/742835254994608128

Yeah, no, I'm fine with Bernie easing into endorsing Hillary and doing his best to make it feel natural to his supporters and not get an ugly scene. I'm not one of the people who was mad at him for not dropping out already. I also assume he'll do it on Thursday but I'm even fine if he drags it out a bit as long as he stops running against Hillary since the primary is over and doesn't try and pull a coup at the Convention.

Just, you're talking to Hillary in like an hour or something. Why take a public shot at DWS/the DNC now?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

STAC Goat posted:

keep his supporters engaged until the convention and try his best to yank the democratic party left, which was his plan all along

i don't understand how people are still clutching their pearls and griping about sanders occasionally saying a thing when:

a) hillary is, according to the same people, such a powerful juggernaut of a candidate
b) this is exactly what bernie said he would be doing for months now

let the old man yell at the cloud and keep his base involved so he can do a really good speech at the convention for hillary

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Probably to move the goal posts on the Bernie revolution to always having been about reforming the Democratic Party nominating process, something that's achievable. That way if they get more delegates for states with open primaries or whatever, then bam your donations and volunteering was totally worth it, it worked, we won! Now go vote to elect a Democrat!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh, I'm not mad. You folks are probably right. I don't even like DWS and I doubt it really does anything to hurt Hillary/help Trump. It just seemed like odd timing is all.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Business Gorillas posted:

keep his supporters engaged until the convention and try his best to yank the democratic party left, which was his plan all along

i don't understand how people are still clutching their pearls and griping about sanders occasionally saying a thing when:

a) hillary is, according to the same people, such a powerful juggernaut of a candidate
b) this is exactly what bernie said he would be doing for months now

let the old man yell at the cloud and keep his base involved so he can do a really good speech at the convention for hillary

But he's giving Trump, the man who has members of his party fleeing questions on his remarks, talking points *shudder*

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Lessail posted:

But he's giving Trump, the man who has members of his party fleeing questions on his remarks, talking points *shudder*

The horror. :gibs:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

wasn't this supposed to be a speech about the shooting
Sanders has a bit of a... one-track mind. Like seriously, this was kinda his problem, dude will pivot back to his stump speech even if it's decidedly not a good time to do so.

On Terra Firma posted:

Holy poo poo this owns. This is scathing and the line about how politicians fall under the protection of those who work to fight ISIS, pause "even those who tweet", was awesome.
I really am gonna miss Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Lessail posted:

hillary is either a powerful juggernaut of a candidate that is going to approach reagan/mondale levels of asskicking that will usher in an entire generation of progressive thought or hillary is a candidate that is in such an amount of trouble a grumbling Zaide giving discussion points to an orange racist is a blow to her campaign

you can't have it both ways, goons

• Locked thread