Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Business Gorillas posted:

hillary is either a powerful juggernaut of a candidate that is going to approach reagan/mondale levels of asskicking that will usher in an entire generation of progressive thought or hillary is a candidate that is in such an amount of trouble a grumbling Zaide giving discussion points to an orange racist is a blow to her campaign

you can't have it both ways, goons

No one said any of those things. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

STAC Goat posted:

But that ship sailed last week when he was personally on hand to watch the entire party line up behind Hillary and he publicly announced he'd work with her to beat Trump, no? So what the hell, Bernie? What's the plan?

He is doing it publicly because he obviously has no more leverage against Hillary than Rubio did against Trump and the time for private deals has long past, but he still has a significant number of diehard supporters and is trying to draw her into publicly supporting some of his policies so that she can win over some of his supporters.

All Bernie can do right now is try to support progressive downticket candidates and try to use his campaign/supporter's collective power as leverage for policy change.

Trump is such a dumb candidate though that she doesn't even need the support of Bernouts to win so it will probably fall on deaf ears. If she was facing Kasich or Rubio she'd at least still feign care for some of Bernie's popular-but-anti-corporate progressive policies.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lid posted:

Jim Hoft, a longtime hard-right blogger also known as the Gateway Pundit, thinks he has the answer. Yesterday, Hoft revealed that he was gay on Breitbart news and argued that it was time for gay people to “come home” to the conservative party. He wrote: “I can no longer remain silent as my gay brothers and sisters are being slaughtered at dance clubs. There is only one man who can lead this nation and protect all gays and all Americans. His name is Donald Trump.”

I mean, genuinely good for him coming out in what I'm sure must not be in a friendly environment, but if we're going to take this apparent GOP-gay outreach with even a modicrum of seriousness they're going to have to repudiate most of their (very, very recent in some cases) rhetoric and policy. Start calling out and apologizing for some poo poo and maybe we'll talk. But the whole "a conservative SCOTUS passed gay marriage" bit shows exactly how disingenuous this all is.

It's too bad, really, since ideologically there's no reason the Republican party couldn't have been able to genuinely support or even co-opt the gay rights movement. But culture wars, identity politics, Southern strategy, etc. etc.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hillary is either a powerful juggernaut of a candidate that is going to approach reagan/mondale levels of asskicking that will usher in an entire generation of progressive thought or hillary is a candidate that is in such an amount of trouble a grumbling Zaide giving discussion points to an orange racist is a blow to her campaign

you can't have it both ways, goons

Who on earth is saying Hillary is literally going to lose because Sanders' is an entitled babyman?

We're laughing at him, we're not tearing our hair out and wailing in horror, man.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

keep his supporters engaged until the convention and try his best to yank the democratic party left, which was his plan all along

I hear this a lot, but can anyone substantiate it with an official statement?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

and along with that, so all his 'we're gonna totally win this' and 'the superdelegates should flip to me' stuff was a lie then?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

zoux posted:

It's a proven strategy to trail at the first quarter, the half and then slip on your own laces, face planting for the rest of the game. And you can't prove otherwise!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Lessail posted:

But he's giving Trump, the man who has members of his party fleeing questions on his remarks, talking points *shudder*

Giving Trump ammo won't stop his meteoric descent, but it might make the eventual crater less impressive than it could be.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Who on earth is saying Hillary is literally going to lose because Sanders' is an entitled babyman?

We're laughing at him, we're not tearing our hair out and wailing in horror, man.

Yeah, I seemed to be the most vocal critic and I just kind of thought it was weird and I'm kind of killing time before I leave work.

For what its worth I think Hillary is a favorite on paper against a seemingly week opponent but nothing is certain, she has her flaws, and there's a lot of wildcards so I still care when and if something happens to hurt her or help Trump. But I don't really think this is that.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

zoux posted:

from the bernie sanders camp:

WE'RE IN IT FOR THE LONG HAUL. WE ARE IN IT FOR A POLITICAL REVOLUTION
*camera zooms in on Sanders's face*
teehee i'm only pretending ;)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tatum Girlparts posted:

and along with that, so all his 'we're gonna totally win this' and 'the superdelegates should flip to me' stuff was a lie then?

Super delegates are like eggs, they were bad but then good but then only the yolks/blacks were bad cause they are low info and in conservative red states so who cares about them let's concentrate on the whites, and so on.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i mean i don't know that he's going to do that for sure because saying "lol this is all just a ruse to keep my people motivated" kind of defeats the entire point of doing it

if he doesn't do what i think he's going to do at the convention then yeah he's an rear end in a top hat and i'll say that you're right

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

i mean i don't know that he's going to do that for sure because saying "lol this is all just a ruse to keep my people motivated" kind of defeats the entire point of doing it

if he doesn't do what i think he's going to do at the convention then yeah he's an rear end in a top hat and i'll say that you're right

What exactly do you think he's going to do at the convention with not enough delegates to win any votes?

Traditionally the work of using not-enough-delegates as leverage is in fact done before the convention, and happens alongside a concession and an endorsement.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Fans posted:

Can't you just point to literally any other country and go "See? Gun control works" 

I live in the UK and gun crime here is really not a massive issue.
*points to Mexico and Brazil*

"Those ones don't count for ~reasons~!"

To be less flip, Mexico is like the D&D sarcasm voice interpretation of the 2nd amendment endgame. Citizens have a right to own guns, but there is one gun store in the entire country, in Mexico City, run by the Army, and the requirements to purchase are so strict that few people bother. Yet Mexico has a massive gun violence problem. Gun violence rises and falls independent of regulatory climate. Even if you only care about headline grabbing spree shootings, France checks every box of the Brady campaign platform, but they still had two massive spree shootings with illegal machine guns last year. The solution to curbing gun violence isn't gun control.

Jarmak posted:

This is been pretty much the argument I've been using since Orlando.
Here's the problem though, the only people on the pro-gun control side that have a coherent proposal of what the "right amount" of gun control would be are those in favor of either total confiscation or a soft ban via may issue licensing. The remainder are split between folks who don't understand the current state of our laws, but are shocked by what they see in the media and want to do *something*, and those like zoux who consider "I only get half of what I want, for now, and you get nothing" to be a compromise. If you believe, as I do, that gun control laws don't effect gun violence, why would I compromise?

Further, why should anyone on the pro-gun rights compromise, when the pro-control side has shown no willingness to stick to their compromises? California already has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, but after San Bernadio, the legislature is in the process of banning bullet buttons/magazine locks, devices specifically designed to bring guns into compliance with California's assault weapons ban, and previously grandfathered high capacity magazines. Keep in mind that grandfathering and mag locks were both trumpeted as reasonable compromises that gun owners should be happy to accept during the last round of legislation. The same thing happened in New York with the SAFE Act.

Like proponents of abortion rights, proponents of gun rights have no reason to compromise when each compromise is really just the starting point for the next round of restriction. It's never enough. "Not one inch" worked out well after Sandy Hook, and compromise has never actually bought us a reprieve from ever-increasing restriction, so what's the incentive here?

(Commie, I know you're already typing out "slippery slope!" but perhaps for once you could explain how one should interpret this pattern other than creeping incrementalism.)

Trabisnikof posted:

When I speak at someone, I don't deprive them of rights.

When I am given my due process under the law, the prosecutor is not deprived of rights.

When I am allows to vote, the candidate is not deprived of rights.

When I shoot at someone, they are deprived of rights and potentially all of them.
You've never heard of incitement? Calling for someone to be killed, or their rights taken away? People ITT have been complaining about Republican minimization of LGBT people enabling discrimination, about hate speech enabling violence against Muslim Americans.

The people who voted for Prop 8 in California, gay marriage bans in other states, bills discriminating against trans people, who vote Sheriff Joe into office again and again on the promise of a crackdown on Hispanics, are they not using the power of the ballot to strip rights from others?

Yeah, you can take rights from others at the barrel of a gun, but that's already illegal. Conversely, my ownership of a gun (ok, several guns) doesn't deprive anyone of their rights. If you were so concerned about individual rights, you wouldn't be so quick to endorse prior restraint as a justification for taking them away in the name of safety.

Or we could structure our laws around punishing offenders who actually harm others rather than trying to preemptively take away any means by which people might break the law.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Of course there is a connection. It is a vastly different connection between a hateful speech act inspiring someone to commit an act of violence and the connection between the weapon used and the act of violence.

German anti-nazi laws probably wouldn't fly in the US and I'm glad. But then again, you have to throw a copy of Mien Kampf pretty hard to kill 49 people.

If we had speech acts that could, through speech alone, kill someone, I would be arguing that regulating that speech is reasonable.

Speech is regulated in those cases and more. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_free_speech_exceptions

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you know a huge issue in Mexico is guns going TO Mexico FROM us, considering, ya know, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, all those places have famously lax gun laws?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dead Reckoning posted:

Reasons like corruption, cartels... you really don't give a gently caress do you?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Dead Reckoning seems to be under the impression guns just form naturally in the world, and you just CAN'T stop them, it'd be like stopping crystals!

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

Or we could structure our laws around punishing offenders who actually harm others rather than trying to preemptively take away any means by which people might break the law.
Hmm well I guess we could make shooting people illegal.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

To be less flip, Mexico is like the D&D sarcasm voice interpretation of the 2nd amendment endgame. Citizens have a right to own guns, but there is one gun store in the entire country, in Mexico City, run by the Army, and the requirements to purchase are so strict that few people bother. Yet Mexico has a massive gun violence problem. Gun violence rises and falls independent of regulatory climate. Even if you only care about headline grabbing spree shootings, France checks every box of the Brady campaign platform, but they still had two massive spree shootings with illegal machine guns last year. The solution to curbing gun violence isn't gun control.
Here's the problem though, the only people on the pro-gun control side that have a coherent proposal of what the "right amount" of gun control would be are those in favor of either total confiscation or a soft ban via may issue licensing. The remainder are split between folks who don't understand the current state of our laws, but are shocked by what they see in the media and want to do *something*, and those like zoux who consider "I only get half of what I want, for now, and you get nothing" to be a compromise. If you believe, as I do, that gun control laws don't effect gun violence, why would I compromise?

Isn't Mexico also the country where anything used by the military at all is banned for civilians whether or not it's something particularly dangerous, powerful, or otherwise useful for crime, or am I thinking of somewhere else where the "weapons of war" rhetoric was taken to heart?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

you know a huge issue in Mexico is guns going TO Mexico FROM us, considering, ya know, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, all those places have famously lax gun laws?

The ones that got shipped in by bulk US sales to Mexican LE and military before leaking into criminal hands? Or do you mean the ones that came originally from the US government supplying Central/South American militias for decades, then moved northward into Mexico more recently? Since that's the bulk of US guns in Mexico, not the fraction of a fraction that go through straw sellers in the civilian US market (which the federal government barely tried to stop despite plenty of laws allowing it). Hell, half of those are blinged up vanity pieces carried for show rather than the actual military gear used for shooting people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Killer robot posted:

Isn't Mexico also the country where anything used by the military at all is banned for civilians whether or not it's something particularly dangerous, powerful, or otherwise useful for crime, or am I thinking of somewhere else where the "weapons of war" rhetoric was taken to heart?

The ones that got shipped in by bulk US sales to Mexican LE and military before leaking into criminal hands? Or do you mean the ones that came originally to the US government supplying Central/South American militias for decades, then moved northward into Mexico more recently? Since that's the bulk of US guns in Mexico, not the fraction of a fraction that go through straw sellers in the civilian US market (which the federal government barely tried to stop despite plenty of laws allowing it). Hell, half of those are blinged up vanity pieces used for show rather than the actual military gear used for shooting people.

yea I mean all of those, my dude. That's what makes Mexico a bit more of a unique issue than 'heh gun control doesn't work libtards, checkmate'! Like, we don't have a literal cartel that's functionally an insurgent army loving around with us, so I think we may have a little easier time saying 'hey, maybe you don't actually need an assault rifle or a pistol on-demand'.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Goatman Sacks posted:

Old man yells at cloud

with the primary over he doesn't have crowds to yell at anymore so now it's just him and the big Rorschach test in the sky.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Meta Ridley posted:

All Bernie can do right now is try to support progressive downticket candidates

He's been doing a spectacularly bad job of doing it. Jeff Weaver has nixed any idea of supporting any candidate that did not endorse him. This includes Russ Feingold.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Yikes

https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/742851028345860096

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

How the hell do you parse this? Surely the Democrats (or Republicans) don't have a rating of "1" in any reputable poll?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

MrChupon posted:

How the hell do you parse this?

I think Dems are just short of having positive favorably (-1 is better than -7) and the GOP is entering the uncanny valley of politics, people don't want to even look at them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MrChupon posted:

How the hell do you parse this? Surely the Democrats (or Republicans) don't have a rating of "1" in any reputable poll?

-1, negative 1, this is net favorability.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Killer robot posted:

The ones that got shipped in by bulk US sales to Mexican LE and military before leaking into criminal hands? Or do you mean the ones that came originally from the US government supplying Central/South American militias for decades, then moved northward into Mexico more recently? Since that's the bulk of US guns in Mexico, not the fraction of a fraction that go through straw sellers in the civilian US market (which the federal government barely tried to stop despite plenty of laws allowing it). Hell, half of those are blinged up vanity pieces carried for show rather than the actual military gear used for shooting people.

I am ninety percent certain that Ramzan Kadyrov, Literal Bond Villain, has killed one or more people with his ridiculous blingpistol. :colbert:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Oh I agree. I'm saying that there is no speech as directly capable of killing people as a gun is, and thus deserves a categorically different kind of regulation. All freedoms are regulated because they come into conflict.

Choo Choo all aboard the Base Election Train!

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

^^^^^

Thanks, she should probably get rid of that extraneous space before the 7 if she wants me to read it as "negative 7"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MrChupon posted:

I'm not sure what you mean, but "net favorability" is favorable% - unfavorable% for each group.

So the GOP could get a net favorability of -17 by having perhaps 41% favorable, 58% unfavorable. It means more people dislike them than like them.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

MrChupon posted:

Not Favorability usually means the Positive Rating - Negative Rating. So a net Favorability of -1 corresponds to a favorability of 49%, unfavorability 51%. So for trump that means that He has a favorability of 35% and unfavorability of 65%, resulting in a net of -30.

This is not good news for the GOP, and is slightlyu good news for Hillary as she has had some pretty high unfavorable numbers in the past.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Lessail posted:

But he's giving Trump, the man who has members of his party fleeing questions on his remarks, talking points *shudder*

I mean it would be nice if he didn't actively provide assistance to the closest brush this country has had with fascism since the Business Plot, but I guess in the twilight years of his life he wants to be remembered for something more than 3 post office names and a pro-rape essay.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Interesting. Not sure I agree with the breakdown.

And I wouldn't give the Trump party the "populist" label

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/742858089771196417

26% of the country being social democrats might be a historical high.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

He's not wrong.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

B B posted:

Bernie needs to drop out, but he's not wrong about the Democratic Party.

He's doing fine and he said he was going to do this from the very beginning. The contempt for him is strange to me.

theblackw0lf posted:

Interesting. Not sure I agree with the breakdown.

And I wouldn't give the Trump party the "populist" label

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/742858089771196417

26% of the country being social democrats might be a historical high.

That list is stupid since it's assuming Trump's policies are far right. He actually said things like not wanting to cut social security which is probably pretty hard for republican leadership to deal with. Also it's pretty funny they think Kasich is a centralist. What a wild ride of a political season.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

B B posted:

He's not wrong.

He's also not the presumptive nominee so there's a ring of sour grapes to it even if it's right. As nice as perfect-world beep-boop text debates might be, perception has an effect and calling for new leadership while being the guy who never had a chance harms one's perception. Even if they're right.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am ninety percent certain that Ramzan Kadyrov, Literal Bond Villain, has killed one or more people with his ridiculous blingpistol. :colbert:

I like to imagine bling pistol is reserved for snitches, traitors, and people who sleep with the bosses daughter.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This is loving amazing and worth the watch of it Anderson Cooper going after Attorney General Pam Bondi who fought against gay marriage in Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XsIGCxT3Po

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Reasons like corruption, cartels... you really don't give a gently caress do you?
If weak institutions, porous borders, and an organized crime problem are able to completely overwhelm a gun control regime out of Dianne Feinstein's fondest fantasies, maybe it's worth considering the possibility that gun control policies don't actually have the advertised impact on homicides and those structural issues are more important.

If you have violence-ridden countries like Mexico and Brazil with weak institutions, high inequality, a low standard of living, & strong gun control, and European socialist paradises where nothing hurts with strong institutions, low inequality, a high standard of living, & strong gun control, trying to explain that the latter's success is due to strong gun control seems a bit silly.

• Locked thread