Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

El Disco posted:

Speaking of anime:

:yikes:

:cripes: indeed
post your waifu in this topic
mine is the St. Louis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Us people who want to do adult things when girls speak Japanese are so misunderstood... I just get an urge to invest in the stock market when that happens, it's perfectly natural! All the people too narrow-minded to understand this very innocent concept are probably the same ones that get mad when I declare my love for hawaiian dishes in allchat.

Edit:

Well, I got both of them now after a 13 hour or so grind on the Izumo. Now if I somehow suck out completely and die on the toughest nut to crack at tier 5, I got two more to play with before the battle ends! :v:

The way they change all the voiceovers to moonspeak is a bit silly though, because it's not as if anybody would ever be able to understand it. I guess fans of the show would be able to recognize the quips but they should at least give you the option to subtitle the things in English or maybe Japanese so a guy who can't follow the dialogue very well can at least look at the sentences.

OSad fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 13, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

El Disco posted:

Speaking of anime:

:yikes:

Doesn't it make everyone want to do adult stuff such as getting decent taste in entertainment media that isn't for manchildren?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Do not play ranked games first thing on EU server. Managed to drop 2 ranks this morning with the biggest bunch of retards going. I dropped connection one game, came back on half way through, I had 3k HP left and I still placed 3rd damage.

I DONjdgn[ dfgjadfgmga#fb f!!!!!!!!!!!!! CUNTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Just stopping by to tell y'all that I'm basically the greatest boat player of all time
http://i.imgur.com/mQKI78R.gifv

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Still can't figure out what to play at T7 for ranked. At T7 I have Atlanta, Kiev and Schchors and the common wisdom seems to be Kiev is the best of that bunch, but how do you play it? Stealth capping is not a thing with its concealment, and it excels at the 10-12k range which is where BBs and CAs end up fighting at anyway.

I cruised to Rank 15 in New Mexico with maybe 1-2 losses but I suspect the New Mex is not viable at all vs Colorados and Nagatos.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
My Kiev got me to rank 12 so far with a fair number of first place losses. I usually act as a counter-destroyer, not actually capping in early game but spotting and dodging shells. If my team gets crushed, I run and grab a late cap to ensure first place points. I usually get about 100-160 shells landed per game.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

After I eventually claw my way back to rank 16 I think I am going to try the Indianapolis, then if that fails me the Blyskawica. However I am finding on the EU server that it's BBs that make your team, if you have semi competent [ :haw: ] BB drivers it makes it way easier for you to blow poo poo up in your cruiser.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Burt posted:

After I eventually claw my way back to rank 16 I think I am going to try the Indianapolis, then if that fails me the Blyskawica. However I am finding on the EU server that it's BBs that make your team, if you have semi competent [ :haw: ] BB drivers it makes it way easier for you to blow poo poo up in your cruiser.

I will never ever get back to rank 16, JFC who are these people and why the gently caress do they play in ranked games? They are loving awful and I am about to have an aneurysm so I am stopping right the gently caress now.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Burt posted:

I will never ever get back to rank 16, JFC who are these people and why the gently caress do they play in ranked games? They are loving awful and I am about to have an aneurysm so I am stopping right the gently caress now.

Free ship. That is literally the reason this run of ranked is so bad. No one is trying to learn and play cohesively, they are just drooling at the ship prize and just running gun ho for it. Seeing as I've never played previous ranked battles, my interest in this one stays at zero. More importantly, I also only have tier 8s view premiums and no tier 10s which makes it even less worth looking at for now.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Fighter combat in the game is weird, my 4 Hosho fighters met another Hosho's, and I lost all 4 fighters, he lost none. What a goddamn bizarre system.

Just unlocked the Myoko, I thought the slow turret rotation (45s) and lower reload would be a problem, but goddamn does it put shells where it needs to. It helped my first game I was top tier though.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 14, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Free ship. That is literally the reason this run of ranked is so bad. No one is trying to learn and play cohesively, they are just drooling at the ship prize and just running gun ho for it. Seeing as I've never played previous ranked battles, my interest in this one stays at zero. More importantly, I also only have tier 8s view premiums and no tier 10s which makes it even less worth looking at for now.

Honestly, I'm not really convinced that's the reason. You have to have reached rank 1 at least once already to even be eligible for the free ship, and I'd prefer to believe that those who have previously made it all the way there are not the true shitters. I think some of them are being terrible players and simply exploiting the new mechanics to prevent star loss, but they're not truly bad.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
In previous seasons, I've seen some really huge shitters get to ranked one out of sheer determination and luck.

Like 500+ games. There are definite shitters getting into rank 10 now, tons of tier 6's... I don't mind so much because mostly there are zero cruisers to set me on fire constantly, so it's just me and playing smart against DD which are always spotted by all of your dd.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Just got back-to-back matches involving iChase. First game he was on the other side in his Nagato, and apparently the worthlessness of the Saipan on his team pissed him off so bad that he ended up pulling out his own. Next game I had him on my team in his own Saipan, and that same player ended up on the other team again. Said player's Saipan got utterly crushed, finishing dead last in the entire game. Not that it was terribly hard, since he did indeed seem to be absolute poo poo. Though looking at his stats he's supposedly decent with the drat thing, so who knows what the hell the issue was. Other player was named Zhangshaozhong, so judge for yourself if you get him, I guess?

Anyways, slowly grinding through the ranks. Just under halfway through Rank 9 now which, given I took most of last week off from ranked to cool off, I feel is decent.

And yeah, I am starting to see more T6s at Rank 10+ now, so I guess there's an element of truth there. Maybe I just don't want to believe it?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Lord Koth posted:

Just got back-to-back matches involving iChase. First game he was on the other side in his Nagato, and apparently the worthlessness of the Saipan on his team pissed him off so bad that he ended up pulling out his own. Next game I had him on my team in his own Saipan, and that same player ended up on the other team again. Said player's Saipan got utterly crushed, finishing dead last in the entire game. Not that it was terribly hard, since he did indeed seem to be absolute poo poo. Though looking at his stats he's supposedly decent with the drat thing, so who knows what the hell the issue was. Other player was named Zhangshaozhong, so judge for yourself if you get him, I guess?

Anyways, slowly grinding through the ranks. Just under halfway through Rank 9 now which, given I took most of last week off from ranked to cool off, I feel is decent.

And yeah, I am starting to see more T6s at Rank 10+ now, so I guess there's an element of truth there. Maybe I just don't want to believe it?

Best advice I can give at this point is avoid weekends. That seems to be when I lose my stars. I picked up three tonight. 1 away from 8. I have a considerable amount of traveling coming up before this ranked season ends, and I'm really fearing not being able to get it this time. People are complaining pretty actively they can't get games at rank 5. I can't be on at a specific time to play when people are on and hope I get the wins.

Seems a lot like the first season, when only 5 people that literally played all night every night were able to get it, and they essentially all did it together. We don't have enough people in this thread committed to the activity.

Disappoints me, because I want the Flint. Hoping they extend the season or something.

Right now I'm 40-30. Sucks to think I have 40 more wins to go.

jownzy fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 14, 2016

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Finally unlocked the Benson and I'm just wondering what US destroyer players would recommend for it, +20% to spotting or +10% to concealment?

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

Ghetto Prince posted:

Finally unlocked the Benson and I'm just wondering what US destroyer players would recommend for it, +20% to spotting or +10% to concealment?

concealment. absolutely no question about it. With the module, captain skill and camo your detection is 5.8km, which means you have 2km of stealth firing, and 3.4km of stealth torping. Also, Benson is pretty awesome. Really well rounded. I stuck with the B hull to keep my 5 guns.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Concealment feels like the only choice for basically any DD, honestly more like any non-CV ship.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Almost 2km concealment difference between mahan and Benson.
With more speed, better guns, better torpedo. This looks like a huge upgrade.

On battleships I think target acquisition module is the better choice.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Krogort posted:

That module does literally nothing of benefit to you. Either go for the concealment or just save money and have a free slot.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Krogort posted:

IIRC the targeting module only increases the auto spot range (the one where if an enemy is within like 1.5-2km of you they'll be spotted no matter what), and the torpedo spot range increase doesn't stack with vigilance so it's loving worthless.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I think Vigilance and/or the TA module are nearly useless on T9/10 BBs because they are so cumbersome, the extra warning hardly helps. It might be worth it on NC though. I use the Concealment module on every ship, including CVs. Shokaku with 10.8k concealment allows me to play far up and recycle my planes quicker.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Insert name here posted:

IIRC the targeting module only increases the auto spot range (the one where if an enemy is within like 1.5-2km of you they'll be spotted no matter what), and the torpedo spot range increase doesn't stack with vigilance so it's loving worthless.

I take the module so I don't have to take vigilance.

And as said, I don't think it's very useful because good luck dodging torpedo with a 300m long ship with 17sec rudder shift and 900m turn radius.
Still better than the concealment upgrade though.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah if you don't have vigilance and your detection range is 17+km then the targeting module is the better choice.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Actually don't buy any big upgrades until after the patch on 16th. They have changed just about every module.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Bought the Roon today and immediately love it. But I can't help but think just how awesome it would be if one of those back turrets was at the front...

In related news, I've come to despise the Schchors due to its Yamato-like handling and complete lack of armour.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Ive been playing for a short time. So far my highest ships are the Omaha and the T5 Japan destroyer. I've started usa destroyers, and im on tier 3 and holy crap completely different than japan destroyers.

Are the Russian or German lines worth it or fun? I've already found I don't like battleships at all. Well at least based on the South Carolina.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Tier 3 battleships are really bad, supposedly to prevent the overall population from becoming too BB heavy. They get better after that.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
How do you get to a Tier IX Iowa without understanding fundamental concepts like "I probably shouldn't show my broadside to those two Colorados and that Kutuzov, much less be 10km ahead of the rest of my team."? I can understand the next game with a "Fires torpedoes while in spawn towards enemies 25km away." Tirpitz, since you can just buy that, but seriously? All I want is a winning game in the Nagato yet all I can do is barely break even on damage like this :(

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I unlocked the second Japanese carrier, the planes are so bad! How are they getting such fragile things up into the air? Even the brute force of a rubber band powered propeller would tear the frames apart. At least I've managed to unlock the better loadout. The default is 2 loving weak and cross eyed bombers? What kind of sadistic rear end came up with that?

Somehow I managed to sink two destroyers with torp bombers in one game. How does that even happen?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

For people who haven't checked them out yet, iChase did a fairly detailed review of the upcoming 0.5.7 module changes. I'd suggest watching if if you're still unsure about them. You can find it here.

Biggest points to note: Nagato secondary build is getting hosed over because they've moved the +20%/-20% secondary module into the third weapon slot, oh, and the AA module in that same slot now boosts AA damage even more, because CVs weren't hosed over enough lately already.

edit: First ranked game of the night, and a Colorado drops 3-4 citadels on me within 2 salvoes from 15 km, with both of us bow on to each other. Can already tell it's going to be a great night.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 15, 2016

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

haha 20 battleships and no other types in ranked queue

great season

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Ok, I'm done trying to make the Kiev work in ranked. It can't scout because it gets spotted first by everything, the guns get outmatched by every US DD, and the torpedoes are worthless except in suicide runs. God help you if you get into a CV match, because it's really loving easy to dive bomb. Saipans especially, they can kill you in 1-2 bombing runs and there's nothing at all you can do about it if your smoke is on cooldown.

edit: Holy gently caress someone just gifted me a Blys :staredog:

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 15, 2016

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

haha what, how did a Blys gift happen?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Pacra posted:

haha what, how did a Blys gift happen?

I was in a few ranked games with the same person playing an Indianapolis. He's doing...not so great, and then one game I'd dead and watching him when a Sims pops up behind an island 5km away. I warn him in chat because he's going after a Myoko farther away, he sees the message and kills the Sims. After the game, he messages me saying thanks for the warning, then apologizes for doing terribly all day. He seems like a nice guy and says he has a shitload of WG credit because WG hosed up some credit card charges and offers to buy me a ship. I ask for the Blys because it looks more interesting than the Molotov or Kutszov, and I have the Tirp/Atago combo already. So now I have this Polish beauty.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Which of these ships are actually worth spending doubloons on? The Blue Skywalker and Molotov look interesting, but I don't know if they're actually worth the real money that would take sinking into them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cobbsprite posted:

Which of these ships are actually worth spending doubloons on? The Blue Skywalker and Molotov look interesting, but I don't know if they're actually worth the real money that would take sinking into them.

The Campbeltown is a good low-tier ship, but it might be a while until you get the RN tree, the Texas is a surprisingly decent T5 (but wait until July 4th, it might get discounted) with good AA, the Murmansk is kind of a 'must have' even though you can't get it to shoot 20km+ anymore, the Warspite is an 'interesting' ship...

For the top tiers, the Tirpitz is good so long as you play to its strengths and know how to mitigate incoming damage, and the Atago isn't horrible. The Kutuzov is more well-known for being an anti-air ship, and any decent carrier player is going to steer well clear of you. The Molotov's made out of tissue paper but it shits citadels with the lasers it has for turrets. The Blys *is* a good ship, but don't expect it to be a trainer anytime soon.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
What is it about the Blys that makes it a good ship, what are its strengths to play to and weaknesses to mitigate?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cobbsprite posted:

What is it about the Blys that makes it a good ship, what are its strengths to play to and weaknesses to mitigate?

It has good guns for its tier, better arcs than the US DD guns and and more consistent damage than the Soviet DD guns. It also has a fair amount of HP and torpedoes that are good enough (with a small stealth torp range). It's also fairly fast, although not as fast as the Soviet DD.

It's main weakness is that there aren't any other Polish ships to use the captain in. OK its gameplay weakness is that it's a little longer and less maneuverable than other DDs of its tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cobbsprite posted:

It's a slightly-slower premium Kiev (already a good ship) with much slower yet longer-ranged torpedoes that shoots almost a kilometer farther yet reloads slower and the guns are 10mm smaller-bored. The only weakness to mitigate is try not to get shot - you're still in a Russian boat.