Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Merkinman posted:

but that's a different browser :v:

:downsrim:

I laughed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008

Sedro posted:

What state, and how is it not atomic? The PATCH either happens or doesn't; there is no half-PATCHed state.

Sure, the resource is not consistent with respect to the timing of HTTP requests, but isn't that true in general? Does REST demand this of your protocol? Many popular databases don't even offer consistency.

The API is fine. Status code 202 exists for this purpose.

But shouldn't a 202 also return something in the body about the status of the resource (or even a url to check the status as it's being written)? The postback when the write is done seems more complicated than it should be.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Pollyanna posted:

I guess the question I have is how I handle the conditional Tag and AssetTag creation prior to the Asset creation with changesets and the way that Ecto does persistence. It seems to me that you have to do it all at the same time, and you can't really do persistence sequentially. Meaning, I can't do two creates in a single action. Or do I not understand how Ecto works? :(

I really want to use Phoenix, since I think its channels are a good fit for the kind of requirements this project will need (live tag searching, etc.), but Ecto is hard to wrap my head around. Either way, I'm gonna prototype this in Rails for the basic functionality before moving back to Phoenix. I need a demo to show.

Ah, I see. I still think you should be able to do this in a very similar manner to ActiveRecord, so porting it back shouldn't be too hard. It's been a while since I tested something similar to what you're trying, so sorry if a bit light on details, but you'll want to write a function, as you had, but the first pipe will be a preload of the tags, which Ecto provides a function for. Once you've done that I *think* you can just treat them as any other column, and you use the same changeset manipulation you'd do otherwise. Note Ecto itself doesn't do persistence: it's not an ORM, it's more of a query language, so yeah, it is a bit wierd at first. Away from computer tonight, but tomorrow I'll try and dig out the categories test I did with Phoenix, which is basically the same as what you're trying to do.

Phoenix is light years ahead of almost anything else in terms of the simplicity of implementing channels (and automatically drops back to pubsub with zero extra work, so that sorts IE issues), so I'd definitely stick with that if that's key to what you're needing

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I was looking for something in site:mysite.com and a bunch of PDF files showed up in the results. Underneath each one there's a Googley red message:
"This page is not mobile friendly, you rancid piece of poo poo!"

So I click it, and it goes to:
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/?url=mysite.com/apdf.pdf

And sure enough, unfriendliness confirmed.

But... it's a freaking PDF? Are they not allowed anymore? Is Google expecting an HTML5/GoogleDocs version now? Have you guys seen this, and how do you get around it? Probably around 1/3 of this site is ancient PDF part diagrams for obscure mechanical equipment.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

I was looking for something in site:mysite.com and a bunch of PDF files showed up in the results. Underneath each one there's a Googley red message:
"This page is not mobile friendly, you rancid piece of poo poo!"

So I click it, and it goes to:
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/?url=mysite.com/apdf.pdf

And sure enough, unfriendliness confirmed.

But... it's a freaking PDF? Are they not allowed anymore? Is Google expecting an HTML5/GoogleDocs version now? Have you guys seen this, and how do you get around it? Probably around 1/3 of this site is ancient PDF part diagrams for obscure mechanical equipment.

Why is google indexing those PDF's in the first place?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Speaking of PDFs, I have what I hope is an easy question. I've got a website that's supposed to be mobile friendly, and it's supposed to provide the option to download a pdf. I tried window.open("pdfUri"); but this crashes the android browser. I also tried window.open(encodeURI(pdfUri)); and window.open(pdfUri, "_blank"); And then I tried to use a tag instead, <a download="test" href="pdfUri" target="_blank"> </a>. Nothing seems to be working for me. It seems like it should be such a common issue, but I just couldn't figure out how to google for it properly. Anyone have any advice?

I'm using ASP.NET MVC if that's relevant. I assume it isn't, though.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
<a href="/file.pdf" download>

<a href="/file.pdf" download="customFileName.pdf">

No new target should be necessary;

when you say android browser i hope you mean mobile chrome?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

<a href="/file.pdf" download>

<a href="/file.pdf" download="customFileName.pdf">

No new target should be necessary;

when you say android browser i hope you mean mobile chrome?

No, I mean mobile default. AOSP I think it's called.
It's a requirement. This is for work, I don't have a choice. I probably should have mentioned the work thing earlier in case someone has an objection to doing my work for me.
Anyway, I tried these options too. I would think the actual link was broken, but it works on desktop browsers. I suppose I can try it on Chrome for Android, if it works there, I'll know a bit more about the issue.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'm so sorry that you have to support the lovely webview that is AOSP. My condolences.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Zero The Hero posted:

No, I mean mobile default. AOSP I think it's called.
It's a requirement. This is for work, I don't have a choice. I probably should have mentioned the work thing earlier in case someone has an objection to doing my work for me.
Anyway, I tried these options too. I would think the actual link was broken, but it works on desktop browsers. I suppose I can try it on Chrome for Android, if it works there, I'll know a bit more about the issue.

Yeah my guess would be if Chrome/Dolphin/whatever works, then it's not a URL path/mimetype/linked app problem .... probably...

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Welp. Just graduated and looking for a development job and realizing I have nowhere near as many skills as I should.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
People tend to get easily intimidated the moment they step outside of college. You are probably not nearly as under qualified as you think you are. No one is looking for a new grad to be some kind of well-rounded wunderkind. As long as you learn quickly and know the basics you're fine.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Grump posted:

Welp. Just graduated and looking for a development job and realizing I have nowhere near as many skills as I should.

Just saw you post in the WP thread: you'll be fine, just start doing some work! Even if you don't have a job and aren't getting paid, start making websites for yourself. In this industry experience is king. Once you've done a few projects you'll know which tools are great and which tools suck and you'll have learned three or four browser quirks that made one of your sites look idiotic until you figured out how to avoid them. Knowing a few languages or having a good eye for visual aesthetics is only a very small part of what makes a good web designer or developer – to a large degree knowing the tools and knowing when to use them is what separates a novice from a professional.

If you've learned how to code, all you need to succeed is more time coding. Look for some entry level positions or even a paid internship, I'll bet you can find something.

kedo fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 14, 2016

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a thread for email design or should I post here? I've been tasked with creating our company newsletter and this poo poo is horrific. Is Zurb Foundation worth using?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Anony Mouse posted:

Is there a thread for email design or should I post here? I've been tasked with creating our company newsletter and this poo poo is horrific. Is Zurb Foundation worth using?

Yes, or an email boilerplate provided by whoever your vendor happens to be. MailChimp has some good ones. Writing your own HTML email from scratch is A) dumb, and B) incredibly tedious and painful.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I never have and never will (hopefully) be involved in crafting the design of mass emails, but every time this gets brought up I wonder about something...are non-HTML-capable email clients just so much in the minority anymore that people just ignore that they exist?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Thermopyle posted:

I never have and never will (hopefully) be involved in crafting the design of mass emails, but every time this gets brought up I wonder about something...are non-HTML-capable email clients just so much in the minority anymore that people just ignore that they exist?

If anything, I think with wearables they're getting more common.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

PT6A posted:

If anything, I think with wearables they're getting more common.
but...but...muh picture perfect poster-like design! You already took the website away from me years ago, not this too! :qq:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

It's that Marketing Types™ refuse to believe they exist. They also believe people will spend hours appreciating the rich content of their lovingly crafted message.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lumpy posted:

It's that Marketing Types™ refuse to believe they exist. They also believe people will spend hours appreciating the rich content of their lovingly crafted message.

If I'm being honest, I do like to see a nicely-crafted e-mail as opposed to text-only if I'm being marketed to. On the other hand, no one needs more than a basic MailChimp template* to make their e-mail look presentable anyway, so it's not something anyone needs to be spending a huge amount of time on.

* I would also argue there's no particularly good reason to avoid a commercial e-mail provider like MailChimp if you're just doing marketing, because they've gone through all the hassle of making sure poo poo works, and even the most expensive packages are nothing compared to developer time.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
You can make an email that looks good easy enough. You just have to design to the limitations. The bullshit comes out when designers want to force HTML email to be something it's not. Creative stuff comes out of it from agencies with massive spends, but for regular people and clients, just a standard single col/two col layout is just fine and easy enough to implement with a framework or Mailchimp.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anony Mouse posted:

It's pretty good, but the docs aren't the best. The Inky markup language is pretty helpful and I like the idea of letting someone else figure out how to handle all the ways email sucks.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I've (unfortunately) had a bit of experience with HTML emails where the aim is maximum compatibility across email clients. The basic rule is to just pretend like it's 1998 and build all layouts with nested tables while sticking to simple (in-line) styling.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
When asked to create emails, I have always found that (despite 20+ years writing HTML) claiming 'I know nothing about HTML emails, someone else should do it' works best.

NB: This technique also works when some numpty uses the word 'Sharepoint' in my presence.

Sergeant Rock fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 15, 2016

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Grump posted:

Think of it like when you learn to drive. You take a bunch of lessons and pass your test, but actually properly learning to drive takes the next couple of years out on the roads. A decent employer understands this and will support you; just be positive and work hard the rest will sort itself out.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

o.m. 94 posted:

Think of it like when you learn to drive. You take a bunch of lessons and pass your test, but actually properly learning to drive takes the next couple of years out on the roads. A decent employer understands this and will support you; just be positive and work hard the rest will sort itself out.

Seconding this, especially if you also demonstrate a willingness to learn. The nature of this business changes all the time anyway so by the time you've learned one platform or framework a new one has popped up and taken over.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Xik posted:

I've (unfortunately) had a bit of experience with HTML emails where the aim is maximum compatibility across email clients. The basic rule is to just pretend like it's 1998 and build all layouts with nested tables while sticking to simple (in-line) styling.

When I had to pitch in and help do some of that stuff a few years ago, there was no dynamic (per recipient) content and a couple buttons / links that went to the same URL. So, I made everything an image, put all the copy in the ALT tag and wrapped the whole thing in a single A tag. The client was amazed at how fast and good that particular campaign turned out.... :smith:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Lumpy posted:

When I had to pitch in and help do some of that stuff a few years ago, there was no dynamic (per recipient) content and a couple buttons / links that went to the same URL. So, I made everything an image, put all the copy in the ALT tag and wrapped the whole thing in a single A tag. The client was amazed at how fast and good that particular campaign turned out.... :smith:

And promptly thanked the project manager for sorting the whole thing out?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The next time I have an email project I want to try this out: https://mjml.io/

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I did some emails in Desk.com/Salesforce using their Liquid templates. Didn't.... suck. Have no idea how they failed over to text only but they worked pretty well.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there a native JS / jquery way to detect when a user has scrolled past a certain element on the page, or do I need to use a scrollspy plugin?

e: nm this is what I need: https://jsfiddle.net/mekwall/up4nu/

fuf fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 16, 2016

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah my guess would be if Chrome/Dolphin/whatever works, then it's not a URL path/mimetype/linked app problem .... probably...

I would still suspect mimetype issues to be honest. Chrome likes to guess it from the extension.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've got a kind of weird user auth problem to solve. Users of my application want to sign on using their internal Active Directory based company ID number, which has their most up-to-date employee and account information. But this ID number is not a stable, unique identifier, because the number can change if the employee is promoted from contractor to full-time, therefore no longer representing that specific user. Also, these numbers can be reused, which means that the number can also end up pointing to a totally different person altogether.

I want my users to only have to remember the same username and password they use for everything else, but I have no idea how to track and coordinate changes in these "unique" identifiers and update the database accordingly. The only solution I can think of is to require the user to supply a username specific to this application, but that defeats the purpose of single sign on. What options do I have in approaching this problem?

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!

Pollyanna posted:

I've got a kind of weird user auth problem to solve. Users of my application want to sign on using their internal Active Directory based company ID number, which has their most up-to-date employee and account information. But this ID number is not a stable, unique identifier, because the number can change if the employee is promoted from contractor to full-time, therefore no longer representing that specific user. Also, these numbers can be reused, which means that the number can also end up pointing to a totally different person altogether.

I want my users to only have to remember the same username and password they use for everything else, but I have no idea how to track and coordinate changes in these "unique" identifiers and update the database accordingly. The only solution I can think of is to require the user to supply a username specific to this application, but that defeats the purpose of single sign on. What options do I have in approaching this problem?

That really sounds like a problem for the AD admin. You should just pass whatever credentials they give and get a token back in response.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ahz posted:

That really sounds like a problem for the AD admin. You should just pass whatever credentials they give and get a token back in response.

What happens when I try to associate a resource with a user, then? If I add a "user_id -> number" field on that resource, I will lose the association and have missing user data if/when the AD number changes.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!

Pollyanna posted:

What happens when I try to associate a resource with a user, then? If I add a "user_id -> number" field on that resource, I will lose the association and have missing user data if/when the AD number changes.

Authentication and identification are two separate things. You authenticate based on parameters that AD admin lets you via whatever LDAP query you use. They should pass back an object of related data about the user including a unique identifier. The unique identifier is probably something the users have no idea about but you can bet AD has one unless you're doing something crazy with AD accounts when user ids change. It might be an ugly GUID, but it will be unique.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
What's the general attitude toward JavaServer Faces, these days? I don't see much in the way of chatter about it, which would either suggest that it's either A) not doing anything particularly exciting; or, B) is not regarded very highly. Just from the projects I've worked on with it over the last couple of months, it seems moderately sufficient, at least, even though we appear to be working off a version at least six years old.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Cugel the Clever posted:

What's the general attitude toward JavaServer Faces, these days? I don't see much in the way of chatter about it, which would either suggest that it's either A) not doing anything particularly exciting; or, B) is not regarded very highly. Just from the projects I've worked on with it over the last couple of months, it seems moderately sufficient, at least, even though we appear to be working off a version at least six years old.

I'm building a new enterprise app in JSF. I didn't want to build it on whatever the soup of the day was (angular, react, etc) because this is something that needs to be around for 20+ years. So I went with the old, mature, and boring JSF. I actually like it quite a bit. I mean it's not the greatest, but if you're a Java shop it seems like an easy fit. I'm still happy with the decision.

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004
I have a [complicated problem], how do I begin?
Post for help and list the following:
Your Skill Level----Rookie
Any necessary project requirements ( languages / frameworks ) Bootstrap

Using Slider Revolution jQuery 5.0 in bootstrap, how/can I curve text? Tried everything I found from googling, but nothing works, the radius of the text always stays the same. I just wanted a slight upwards arch in the text on one layer of the the slider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
you can probably do some kind of hilarious transform-origin and transform: rotate() on each successive character but i feel like that's a terrible idea