Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Twerk from Home posted:

Why replace a 750 Ti? It's got 2GB VRAM and well paced to make good use of it and play games on low / medium settings smoothly.

It's also doubtful you're going to see a low-profile bus-powered 460 before you'll see a low-profile bus-powered 950.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

My impatience is getting the better of me and that EVGA for $400 is tempting me so badly. I've never done the EVGA Step Up program but if I'm reading it correctly I could:

- Buy the above listed EVGA 980ti card for $400 (since it has the 3 year warrantly and would be valid for the program)
- Sign up for the Step Up program for a good 1070 or 1080 EVGA model after registering the 980ti within 14 days and picking the new card within 90
- Once the new card in question is 'in stock' I pay the EVGA site's price, minus $400 (or whatever the Newegg invoice price lists), and get the new 1070/1080 I signed up for (so a 1070 for probably $20-50 more or a 1080 for an extra $200ish)
- Send the 980ti back to EVGA before getting the new card (and pay for shipping once the card's available?)

Is that right or am I misreading something in the process?

e: The card I'm looking to ultimately get is this 1070:
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6171-KR

Unless shipping costs royally suck I figure it might be worth doing if it could be a month or so before I'd actually have a chance to get a 1070 without camping nowinstock.net or whatever.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 15, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Evil Fluffy posted:

My impatience is getting the better of me and that EVGA for $400 is tempting me so badly. I've never done the EVGA Step Up program but if I'm reading it correctly I could:

- Buy the above listed EVGA 980ti card for $400 (since it has the 3 year warrantly and would be valid for the program)
- Sign up for the Step Up program for a good 1070 or 1080 EVGA model after registering the 980ti within 14 days and picking the new card within 90
- Once the new card in question is 'in stock' I pay the EVGA site's price, minus $400 (or whatever the Newegg invoice price lists), and get the new 1070/1080 I signed up for (so a 1070 for probably $20-50 more or a 1080 for an extra $200ish)
- Send the 980ti back to EVGA before getting the new card (and pay for shipping once the card's available?)

Is that right or am I misreading something in the process?

Yes except for #3, start the step-up process within 90 days regardless of their stock.

http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Evil Fluffy posted:

You can get cards right now man. Also I'm not the morality police or anything but that's not exactly what the step up program is for, technically at least.

Literally 15 minutes ago, you could have gotten your mitts on the MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC...

Just do this:

1) Sign up for text alerts on the products you want here:
http://www.nowinstock.net/

2) Make sure you have an account ready at a place where you're trying to buy it (that is basically Newegg for the most part right now)

3) Get text message, buy that poo poo right away.

4) Play video games on your expensive thing you bought.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
e: ^^^ I thought I had alerts setup properly from them already but I guess I didn't or my phone blocked it. :(

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yes except for #3, start the step-up process within 90 days regardless of their stock.

http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

I'd basically be doing both ASAP once I had the 980ti in my possession so that works.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
http://videocardz.com/61064/amd-polaris-10-and-polaris-11-specifications

That RX480M...

970M performance @ 35W looks good (the 970M sucks down 80W). I think we're seeing what's going into the next Macbook Pro refresh.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Fluffnuts:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=6202798&SID=

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

lol too slow, out of stock less than 30 seconds after you posted

Seriously good luck getting a 1080/1070 any time in the near future, it's a paper launch in all but name and you'll be lucky to get the chance to overpay $100 for either card. They've sold all 50 units they allocated to MSRP and now it's on to the real launch prices - $750 and up.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 15, 2016

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Did the definition of "paper launch" change recently or something?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

edit: never mind apparently was down quickly

Taima fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 15, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kramjacks posted:

Yes, it now means "launch something a month ahead of actually selling it, and have people maniacally wave strips of paper in your direction."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Was it actually available? Because the site popped it up as in stock again just now while I was on it and immediately went to Newegg and it was showing Out of Stock already (and the track still claims it's in stock).

I think this is the computer gods loving with me for managing to grab that XB271HU earlier today when the 10% off coupon was working. :sigh:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yea I had one in the cart, but I'm waiting for Amazon to get stock because I have gift cards.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kramjacks posted:

Actually it was a paper launch. You couldn't buy any units on the night they announced it, so technically it actually was. A marketing launch with no stock is still a paper launch.

Real-world usage: you still can't actually buy it because they launched using engineering samples and everyone is out of stock.

Go ahead and name a store that has some stock at MSRP. In fact, go ahead and tell me the ETA for a current preorder above MSRP. I'll wait. Heck, you can't even get 1070s and those are the die-harvested chips that were rejects, and they don't even use GDDR5X.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 15, 2016

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Evil Fluffy posted:

Was it actually available? Because the site popped it up as in stock again just now while I was on it and immediately went to Newegg and it was showing Out of Stock already (and the track still claims it's in stock).

I think this is the computer gods loving with me for managing to grab that XB271HU earlier today when the 10% off coupon was working. :sigh:

I just added it to my cart. Didn't buy though.

edit: refreshed the page after typing and it's gone again.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I am guessing that people's carts expire and it becomes available every once in a while... but just speculation

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Taima posted:

I am guessing that people's carts expire and it becomes available every once in a while... but just speculation

You might be right. I've going back to the page and refreshing and it popped up again as in stock for a bit before going back to auto-notify.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Actually it was a paper launch. You couldn't buy any units on the night they announced it, so technically it actually was. A marketing launch with no stock is still a paper launch.

Real-world usage: you still can't actually buy it because they launched using engineering samples and everyone is out of stock.

Go ahead and name a store that has some stock at MSRP. In fact, go ahead and tell me the ETA for a current preorder above MSRP. I'll wait. Heck, you can't even get 1070s and those are the die-harvested chips that were rejects, and they don't even use GDDR5X.

I guess I thought it meant "can't buy it at all" instead of keeps going out of stock because demand is way higher than supply.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Use NowInStock text alerts for Newegg and have all your credit card info prepped.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

quote:

More recently we've seen this in the video card business. ATI and NVIDIA have been trading punches for quite a while now, but their last round of product updates have left a sour taste in the mouths of many. The Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition debuted in the beginning of May, but good luck finding one. Why release it early when, nearly two months later, most companies are still reporting a two-week waiting time (some say they will ship Aug 1, but many of these also said they would ship in June, too)? You may recall that NVIDIA launched its new NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra in early April. The X800 XT PE was simply a marketing trump on NVIDIA, who itself released its new flagship card too early, likely to steal thunder from ATI. The 6800 Ultra is also practically impossible to come by in the retail chain, unless you buy it with a complete system from the likes of Alienware. There's a few places that claim to have cards, but they also want twice the MSRP for them, too.

Now with Doom 3 shipping in just under two weeks, people who ordered their cards in April and May would like to see them shipped. Isn't it time the paper launches ceased?

No, guy from 2004. They have not ceased.

http://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2004/07/4039-2/

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Gonkish posted:

After scouring the internets for results, I ended up finding some dubious claims that dual 760s are somewhere in the range of 15-25% slower than a single 980 (non-Ti), assuming that all the gears and poo poo that are required for SLI to work actually bother to do so. So if the 480 is anywhere near a 980, it's a potentially large increase in actual performance for me, given that SLI is a pain in the rear end. So yeah. I'll take it. Can it be June 29th please?

Oh yea there is no question it will be a better card lol. I didn't know that was all you were asking for.

To go down that line of reasoning , dual 760s were a little better than a 780ti (sometimes), and that card was virtually the same as a 970 in performance . A 980 is ~15% better than a 970. So yes what you found out sounds logical.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nowinstock seems to be freaking out for that MSI card. Maybe people slowly canceling or something so a single goes back in to stock and everyone jumps on it? :shrug:

Apparently Gigabyte's card releases at 9PM PST though:
https://twitter.com/GIGABYTEUSA/status/742517814506835968

How has Gigabyte been compared ot EVGA and MSI? I don't think I've ever used a card from them (or don't remember if I did).

triple sulk posted:

Use NowInStock text alerts for Newegg and have all your credit card info prepped.

It's already loaded in due to the monitor I bought earlier today.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Paul MaudDib posted:

A soft paper launch id say, because there have been at least hundreds of AIBs sold in stores alone (MC and Frys). Even today microcenter that's near me had 20 EVGA 1080 SC s.

But in practical terma, so far, you can still equate it to a paper launch and it technically was a real paper launch too... For three days.

But it was all expected too. I'm not going doomsday here predicting months because that's just conjecture based on annoyance , but I do predict a solid two weeks before the options become consistently available

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nowinstock seems to be freaking out for that MSI card. Maybe people slowly canceling or something so a single goes back in to stock and everyone jumps on it? :shrug:

Apparently Gigabyte's card releases at 9PM PST though:
https://twitter.com/GIGABYTEUSA/status/742517814506835968

How has Gigabyte been compared ot EVGA and MSI? I don't think I've ever used a card from them (or don't remember if I did).

I've heard mixed but mostly good about them, their high end and enthusiast cards tend to be pretty solid. My only gripe is their Windforce coolers can be downright massive so keep that in mind if you have a smaller case.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Guru3D did a review of the G1 1080 - and strangely enough, there were no shots of the HSF assembly off the card, and they took issue with the backplate not being vented, even going so far as to prove with a recently-calibrated FLIR camera that the solid backplate was acting as a heat trap. Didn't stop them from giving the card a "Recommended" rating, though.

TechPowerUp Review of the Gigabyte G1 1080: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_1080_G1_Gaming/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 15, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I've heard mixed but mostly good about them, their high end and enthusiast cards tend to be pretty solid. My only gripe is their Windforce coolers can be downright massive so keep that in mind if you have a smaller case.

The PC I'm building use a Fractal R5 case, which looks like it should have enough space to work with.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A company has no incentive to not paper launch.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I've had no issues with Gigabyte cards and I've had lots. They are big and heavy, specifically long. They cool just fine and typically have all the parts you "want" (even if you may not need them this time around).

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

this is what its come to guys

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

this is what its come to guys
Needle allows normal people like you and me to fulfill on-demand CSR from home. I almost did it for a golf company.

You're really pressured to up sell though.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Josh Lyman posted:

Needle allows normal people like you and me to fulfill on-demand CSR from home. I almost did it for a golf company.

You're really pressured to up sell though.

Well I asked him if the Gigabyte release was on schedules and he said "probably, though there was a delay with the 1080 listings before so... refresh the page a lot is the best strat"

honestly more helpful than "real" customer service

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Well I asked him if the Gigabyte release was on schedules and he said "probably, though there was a delay with the 1080 listings before so... refresh the page a lot is the best strat"

honestly more helpful than "real" customer service

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125871

Got it to load at exactly midnight, it said it was out of stock but it let me order. :shrug:

e: It shows as in stock now, I guess I just managed to load it before it was fully up and running. Either way it looks like I got the order to go through in time. :woop:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 15, 2016

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125871

Got it to load at exactly midnight, it said it was out of stock but it let me order. :shrug:

e: It shows as in stock now, I guess I just managed to load it before it was fully up and running. Either way it looks like I got the order to go through :woop:

Same. Sounds like most people are getting actual shipments from Newegg instead of Amazon's "yeah, we'll totally ship it, some day."

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FaustianQ posted:

I am 100% okay with being on the exact opposite side of an issue as /v/, but in reality I was hoping for something good from AMD, something competitive but as more information has been released it's been one disappointment after another, and my decline in enthusiasm is easily tracked over the last 6 months of my posts in this thread. I'm not going to keep cheerleading for a poo poo product.

What I mean is you sound exactly like a /v/ poo poo poster, but shilling for nvidia and not amd.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Peanut3141 posted:

Same. Sounds like most people are getting actual shipments from Newegg instead of Amazon's "yeah, we'll totally ship it, some day."

Yeah I loaded the page literally the second the tweet link went up and it said out of stock but just kept reloading until it worked. A lot of the times I could add it to cart but then it would be removed... but finally it just worked.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PerrineClostermann posted:

What I mean is you sound exactly like a /v/ poo poo poster, but shilling for nvidia and not amd.

(he might be mad, but he's also kind of right)

Unless you are happy with AMD not delivering a competing product in a timely fashion. For 2 years. Then you can say he's wrong.

The 480 at $200 will be a great card for $200 but it does not change the sad state of their overall GPU performance in the last, roughly, two years.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yeah I loaded the page literally the second the tweet link went up and it said out of stock but just kept reloading until it worked. A lot of the times I could add it to cart but then it would be removed... but finally it just worked.

I'll believe it's real when I get a tracking number. Looks like you have shoprunner or something. I paid $7 for the 3 day business.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Peanut3141 posted:

That's good to know. I saw Amazon periodically had preorders for cards and it sounded like a crapshoot. Got the confirmation mail that my payment was successfully charged so at long last my PC part price camping is over and I can just build the drat thing in a few days and replace this aging machine.

Is it possible to modify an order to get faster shipping? If not then gently caress it but I kinda wish I'd taken a 2-3 day option. Those free earbuds made me thing I had bought something else without realizing it too.

e:

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

(he might be mad, but he's also kind of right)

Unless you are happy with AMD not delivering a competing product in a timely fashion. For 2 years. Then you can say he's wrong.

The 480 at $200 will be a great card for $200 but it does not change the sad state of their overall GPU performance in the last, roughly, two years.

Isn't AMD in a position now where they just don't have the means to compete at that level? Like Nvidia mentioned spending billions on researching their new chips and I don't think AMD could match that even if they want to. OTOH if they can sell midrange cards at a low price with decent margins they could make a killing since while the 10 series is awesome and all, $400+ cards is still a small % of the market compared to capturing the $2-300 range where most gamers shop to get a solid but not bleeding edge experience. Though the new AMDs seem like they should still do extremely well at 1080p for newer games regardless.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 15, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Peanut3141 posted:

I'll believe it's real when I get a tracking number. Looks like you have shoprunner or something. I paid $7 for the 3 day business.

Yeah I got some groupon a while back that gave me a year free. I hardly use it, but Im not minding that decision now!

edit: huh didnt even notice the likely-lovely headphones i got as well. neat

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FaustianQ posted:

I am 100% okay with being on the exact opposite side of an issue as /v/, but in reality I was hoping for something good from AMD, something competitive but as more information has been released it's been one disappointment after another, and my decline in enthusiasm is easily tracked over the last 6 months of my posts in this thread. I'm not going to keep cheerleading for a poo poo product.

Man, you're sounding like the Anandtech forums, who're going from looking up from looking down so fast and repeatedly they're either metalheads or trying to give themselves whiplash for insurance fraud.

There's going to be sources to back up every perspective, it's just how video card rumors are. There'll be enough time to draw conclusions when we know what's up.