Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Argas posted:

I thought 20th Century Fox had the rights to X-men.

Even better/worse, through interesting loopholes, Fox apparently controls the rights to the word mutant. Which is why Marvel specifically have to dodge not only around certain characters and maybe even actors, but the word Mutant that by extension holds to the rights to the character's identities and whole stupid struggle. That's why Age of Ultron had Quick Sliver and Scarlet Witch show up, because marvel still owns Avengers, but they can't call them mutants nor bring up their being the children of Magneto. Instead they were Hydra experiments for superhumans or whatever. Now, because they could make non-cape nerds care about lesser known characters like Antman or loving Vision, they're basically replacing Xmen with the less known Inhumans because why not? They're basically the same thing except some of them are sort of aliens living on the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait, Fox owns the word "mutant"? What? That's a word with meaning far beyond comics, that doesn't sound right at all. It really sounds like there should be more to that, like them only owning it in a particular context, because, I mean, well. Mutants are a real thing, albeit not in X-Men terms exactly.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 14, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And, Ms Marvel who has just about been the only modern Marvel status quo shake up that hasn't managed to cheese everyone off.

Say what you will of the whole affair but no one was having a good time of it with Jane Foster Thor which is kinda sad given this was the same stable who made Thor being a frog a great thing.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 14, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Roland Jones posted:

Wait, Fox owns the word "mutant"? What? That's a word with meaning far beyond comics, that doesn't sound right at all. It really sounds like there should be more to that, like them only owning it in a particular context, because, I mean, well. Mutants are a real thing, albeit not in X-Men terms exactly.

_Within the context of Marvel properties_. While Marvel would *like* to own the word mutant wholesale, they don't. But the long history of characters associated with the X-men, their storylines, their allies and antagonists, et al? Yes. Sony presently owns the rights to those characters, even those which they have not even yet contemplated using in a movie.

ConanThe3rd posted:

And, Ms Marvel who has just about been the only modern Marvel status quo shake up that hasn't managed to cheese everyone off.

Say what you will of the whole affair but no one was having a good time of it with Jane Foster Thor which is kinda sad given this was the same stable who made Thor being a frog a great thing.

Which is a shame, because I think there's a lot of room for exploration there. Especially with what *appears* to be a Loki that doesn't abnegate the entire "Loki: Agent of Asgard" series and storyline. (Which I liked very much.)

(Ms. Marvel still very good.)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

if that were true there wouldn't still be tons of x-books coming out. they are trying to push inhumans pretty hard despite no one in the world caring about them, but there are what, 3 different x-men teams (each with their own comic) and two different wolverine solo titles still? also one of the three avenger teams has a bunch of mutants on it, and another is employed by a mutant.

what's happening is that the xmen that fox owns are getting downplayed or killed off. the rest hosed off to limbo because the thing that makes inhumans also sterilized all the mutants and can kill them if they come into direct contact with it. about wolverine specifically? he's dead. he got replaced by x-23 as wolverine. the other thing is old man logan, who is from the future because comic books. the scarlet witch and quicksilver not being magneto's kids anymore is also because they are/were avengers and need they want the tie-in to the movies without confusing people that started reading because they liked the avengers 2/captain america 3. obviously marvel wouldn't just drop the characters entirely

basically what I'm saying is that toad is my favorite my hero academia character

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SwissArmyDruid posted:

_Within the context of Marvel properties_. While Marvel would *like* to own the word mutant wholesale, they don't. But the long history of characters associated with the X-men, their storylines, their allies and antagonists, et al? Yes. Sony presently owns the rights to those characters, even those which they have not even yet contemplated using in a movie.

That makes more sense. I was wondering if it was something like that, but a few minutes of Googling just turned up a reiteration that Fox owned "mutant" as a line in a larger article, and I have seen way too much stuff like patent troll bullshit and other things where people actually sued over the use of an existing word and whatnot, so, it wouldn't have been a thing that surprised me if they somehow got blanket rights to its use in movies or something. Thank you for the clarification.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Fox owns X-Men and Fantastic Four movie rights. Sony owns Spider-Man movie rights. Universal owns distribution rights for solo Hulk movies.

In addition to the mutant thing, Fox also gets almost all the money from merchandising from X-Men tie ins to the movies. Seeing as Fox owning the money from merchandising, the rights to the word mutant, and all mutants, Marvel has been trying to get Fox to renegotiate a deal. Seeing as Fox doesn't have the rights to make the merchandise they get the money from and doesn't control non-movie publicity about mutants Marvel have been playing hard ball by not doing anything more than the bare minimum of either.

It's unclear why Fox are being such gigantic thundercunts about renegotiating, since Sony did so and now is in a much better position. Being fed directly into by the billion dollar Marvel market is absolutely good for business.

Also no one is entirely clear how Universal ended up only paying to own the distribution rights for a solo Hulk film when Fox and Sony were plundering the most valuable character assets at the time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Aside from people freaking out about a woman doing a thing what was the problem with it? The comic just wasn't doing well?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I remember the various pages of it being passed around and mocked for essentially being a Tumblr-esque screed that crapped all over characters. Did they ever explain what Nick Fury said to make Thor unworthy?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Aside from people freaking out about a woman doing a thing what was the problem with it? The comic just wasn't doing well?

The idea of "WHO IS THOR NOW?!" ran thin well before they answered it and not particularly well. A lot of the story stuff was a lot of Sinfest tier "Don't need no man" guff (and a lot of it was cringe inducing) and all in all it did nothing but assume having a female Thor alone was enough to put bums on seats.

That and [unsolicited opinions on Israel?!]. Jesus. Christ.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ms Marvel is real cool and I like reading it but the whole "inhumans" thing is really obviously a way to get around the legal issues in regards to the XMen as they are functionally identical to mutants. Honestly I appreciate MHA's "superpowers just started with a glowing baby in China who knows why stop asking questions" approach more than explaining it as aliens interbreeding with humans and they all had different magic abilities that sometimes get passed down and sometimes don't thousands of years ago.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 14, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Radish posted:

Ms Marvel is real cool and I like reading it but the whole "inhumans" thing is really obviously a way to get around the legal issues in regards to the XMen as they are functionally identical to mutants. Honestly I appreciate MHA's "superpowers just started with a glowing baby in China who knows why stop asking questions" approach more than explaining it as aliens interbreeding with humans and they all had different magic abilities that sometimes get passed down and sometimes don't thousands of years ago.

The only way they can really one up Western Comics is when some of these kids start to go pro, their major adversary isn't villains or freaks of the week, but the companies and senior heroes they either work with or sidekick under, that have a stranglehold on their superhero identity and franchise. "Focus Groups have shown us that your moves just aren't flashy enough to merchandise. Try to make your attacks more performance like. I don't care if you think its impracticable, do you want to be nobody or do your drat job?! Oh, and when you fight them, make sure to give attention to Midnight."

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Crabtree posted:

The only way they can really one up Western Comics is when some of these kids start to go pro, their major adversary isn't villains or freaks of the week, but the companies and senior heroes they either work with or sidekick under, that have a stranglehold on their superhero identity and franchise. "Focus Groups have shown us that your moves just aren't flashy enough to merchandise. Try to make your attacks more performance like. I don't care if you think its impracticable, do you want to be nobody or do your drat job?! Oh, and when you fight them, make sure to give attention to Midnight."

This theme has already been implied with Aizawa's attitude, it'll be neat if Horikoshi explores this in a post active All Might world.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ConanThe3rd posted:

The idea of "WHO IS THOR NOW?!" ran thin well before they answered it and not particularly well. A lot of the story stuff was a lot of Sinfest tier "Don't need no man" guff (and a lot of it was cringe inducing) and all in all it did nothing but assume having a female Thor alone was enough to put bums on seats.

Always post it when you think of it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i am not very familiar with the concept, but i believe that is what is known as a "joke"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

i am not very familiar with the concept, but i believe that is what is known as a "joke"

Is that an edit someone put in later to cover up actual horrid poo poo or the published comic page? If the former okay that sucks if the latter it is a pretty decent joke or at least not as painfully dumb as people seem to think

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Then it's bad comedy.

Guy A. Person posted:

Is that an edit someone put in later to cover up actual horrid poo poo or the published comic page? If the former okay that sucks if the latter it is a pretty decent joke or at least not as painfully dumb as people seem to think
See, I can appreciate a good "Censored by the editor" gag as much as the next (Being British sort of makes that a given) and this isn't an example of such.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 14, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

On this topic "Fables" had a part where the main character endorsed Israel and its retributive collective punishment policy which felt really weird and out of place.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

that is the actual page. never believe what people bitching about comics on the internet say without checking for yourself.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honestly i thought it was kind of funny

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

that is the actual page. never believe what people bitching about comics on the internet say without checking for yourself.

I never said it wasn't what was published.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

The Boys by Ennis had something similar to this. Unfortunately almost all the heros were jerks so it went in a different direction, but I do feel that a well written series about how being a hero is half fighting, half having to deal with social pressure & various competing interesting trying to use/promote you would be pretty interesting.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wasn't that pretty much Tiger & Bunny?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

I never said it wasn't what was published.

It's not an actual page though? It's another comic Angela Queen of Hel and the joke is pretty cringe and out of place in a comic about a fantasy world, that does not in fact contain Israel, but I suppose humor is subjective.

Here's examples of the actual FemThor pages:
http://imgur.com/pwvIvhA

http://imgur.com/ofunNBK

The whole thing is transparently a half-baked "event" like Superman getting new color coded powers or whatever.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I think the Israel bit is just out of left field enough to make it amusing after doing the same meh joke three times.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

ConanThe3rd posted:

You're dumb as hell, Thor got great reviews, people enjoyed the poo poo out of it, and it's still going currently, so thanks for getting literally everything wrong about this.

Go back to Reddit to be mad about these new feeeemale starring comics, please.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

GimmickMan posted:

I think the Israel bit is just out of left field enough to make it amusing after doing the same meh joke three times.
Yeah, it's that line and the '???' that pushed it over into funny for me. Like a sort of metagag 'I don't actually know or want to know what people like this talk like?' deal.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

You're dumb as hell, Thor got great reviews, people enjoyed the poo poo out of it, and it's still going currently, so thanks for getting literally everything wrong about this.

Now we're getting personal. Hurray.

How much longer until the new chapter?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

KittyEmpress posted:

I haven't really been digging Thor, but in trying out some of the new takes on characters I have been introduced to Ms Marvel, and holy crap I can't ever imagine not reading her adventures.:allears:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

LostRook posted:

Now we're getting personal. Hurray.

How much longer until the new chapter?

isn't it usually up on thursday

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
So not nearly soon enough.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Goddammit, now I don't even know what to believe about the Thor comic aside from people freaking the gently caress out about a woman being Thor despite it happening before and also Frog Thor being a thing as well.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thor-might.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Radish posted:

Don't be silly, inhumans have nothing to do with aliens getting it on with humans. What happened was that an alien race came to Earth and did some loving around with hominid DNA via science, creating 3 branches of nascent humans: Humans, Deviants, and Eternals. The last two had super powers and the first seemed unchanged but had what would evolve into the X-Gene inserted into their DNA. The Eternals and Deviants largely hosed off from humanity, though they would cross paths and have fights and stuff.

Then, thousands of years later a second alien species came to Earth and did science experiments on the humans, creating an offshoot from them called the Inhumans. They had super powers and poo poo and lived on the moon. So our hominid ancestor was split into 4 separate sub-species: Humans, Inhumans, Eternals, and Deviants. Presumably Neanderthals and Denesovians are 2 additional sub-species that split off from the then common ancestor in a similar way to what was happening with Mutants and Humans prior to Fox buying the movie rights and Marvel retaliating.

The first aliens, the Celestials, hosed around with hominid life because they like to do poo poo like that. They are giant humanoids enveloped in body armor and have visited the Earth 3 more times after the first visit to check in on the experiment. One of the visits had them destroy the city of the Deviants because they thought they were loving up the experiment, which had the side effect of sinking Atlantis and subsequently creating yet another offshoot from humans.

The second aliens, the Kree, hosed around with hominid life because they found out the Celestials had done it first and were looking for some bioweapons/troops to use in their eternal war with yet another alien race, the Skrulls. The Kree gave up on the genetic fuckery for some reason but come back and gently caress with Earth from time to time because they're assholes though not necessarily as big of assholes as the Skrulls.

See, it's all very simple. Also, holy gently caress, how do I remember all this poo poo?

RareAcumen posted:

Goddammit, now I don't even know what to believe about the Thor comic aside from people freaking the gently caress out about a woman being Thor despite it happening before and also Frog Thor being a thing as well.
Anyone talks poo poo about frog-Thor or horse-Thor and they're dead.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Spoilers usually show up late Wednesday.

Bill Willingham kinda has weird Frank Millerish level views on some stuff. It's more or less on par with some of the embarrassing stuff in those Thor comics.

Comics are silly things.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

wait until you hear about labrathor, retriever of mjolnir

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Eh, some people don't like it "because woman" and some people that accuse everyone that dislikes it of misogyny "because woman." It had some embarrassingly heavy-handed writing and a lot of bad plotting to make what had to happen actually occur. Also, unlike the wonderfully done Kamala Khan becoming Ms. Marvel, GirlThor spends most of the series as nothing more than GirlThor since they wanted to make it a "reveal" and therefore essentially a non-character. The reveal of her character is fairly obvious and she fleshes out after that, but I found it a slog to make it that far.

tldr; Read the new Ms. Marvel, if any long-form western comic.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Double post hiccup. Sorry

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gyges posted:

Anyone talks poo poo about frog-Thor or horse-Thor and they're dead.

Ugh, I thought Frog-Thor was actual Man-Thor and Beta Ray Bill was an entirely separate person. God, comic chronology is worse than Christmas lights after a run in with an electric mixer.

Manatee Cannon posted:

wait until you hear about labrathor, retriever of mjolnir

My knowledge of hot comic topics is based on the new controversy about them. That's why I'm totally up to date on Hail Hydra memes and have no loving idea who the other big threat in DC besides Darkseid is or who Marvel's equivalent is supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

have no loving idea who the other big threat in DC besides Darkseid is or who Marvel's equivalent is supposed to be.

Well that last question should be easy at least to answer since the Marvel-verse has been building to him for a while now. Thanos Blue Josh Brolin