Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

McTinkerson posted:

You weren't kidding! It was amazing. Thanks!

This guy was made for the Olympics and actually was on display in Vancouver.

I'm thrilled that you liked my favourite weird-rear end small-town attraction! :3:

My wife used to work for Travel Alberta, and used to try to slip references to the Gopher Museum in every publication despite the fact that her boss hated it. It goes without saying that the boss wasn't much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fuuuuck that would be fun to own

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1568658276724403?view=permalink&id=1738039876452908

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a 2000 honda insight at michener allen on saturday. If i fit in it, i'm goin for it. I'll probably have to turn in my man card for trading a V8 BMW for a 3 cylinder honda, but the car gives me a nerd boner, and $60 in fuel to drive to vegas is too tempting tempting to pass up.

requires login. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

There's a 2000 honda insight at michener allen on saturday. If i fit in it, i'm goin for it. I'll probably have to turn in my man card for trading a V8 BMW for a 3 cylinder honda, but the car gives me a nerd boner, and $60 in fuel to drive to vegas is too tempting tempting to pass up.

Hey if it's a stick you should get it anyway. I bet I'll fit at least.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

What do you think it would go for? Did those have big rear end expensive battery packs?

quote:

requires login. :(
:hfive:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Someone got some spare room to hold onto this until we're done with the three other projects at Fort Slungblade?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1976-plymouth-duster-demon/1174106925

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hey if it's a stick you should get it anyway. I bet I'll fit at least.

It is indeed a 5 speed stick

http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYYC_Detail.aspx?Link=15/6/2016%5E592205e484924453b42e242997157938

slidebite posted:

What do you think it would go for? Did those have big rear end expensive battery packs?

:hfive:

Bluebook is only $1500. in the states they go for anywhere from $1000 to $7000. This being canada, at an auction, 3rd car of the day, it should go for $500-$1000 i think. The battery pack is only $1000 rebuilt, and there are a ton of instructions out there for rebuilding them yourself.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Get it get it get it. I will totally buy it off you if you don't fit.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Someone got some spare room to hold onto this until we're done with the three other projects at Fort Slungblade?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1976-plymouth-duster-demon/1174106925

Seriously, someone buy this duster. I want it bad but I need to actually finish something before I start another project.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

That's super badass and the exact reason my wife is hesitant to give me any more garage space, haha

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

DrakeriderCa posted:

That's super badass and the exact reason my wife is hesitant to give me any more garage space, haha

Don't worry, once Karakuchi is complete, she'll change her mind. Or she'll just insist you use that spare spot I have.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Don't worry, once Karakuchi is complete, she'll change her mind. Or she'll just insist you use that spare spot I have.

God I wish

KARAKUCHI.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Get it get it get it. I will totally buy it off you if you don't fit.

People online say they're 6'5 and fat and fit fine, others say they're 6` and don't even have the seat back all the way, so i'm hopeful. At worst, i might have to pull the seat out and mount some cusions to the floor and back wall.

I need this car. car and driver had a long term tester, they said the steering is twitchy because the toe is 0* all around, and that adjusting the toe in for stability cost them 4mpg. they averaged 48mpg driving with a heavy foot, but said they had some trips over 100mpg, and got it up to 233mpg in a fuel economy challenge drafting an excursion.

The thought of driving to LA or colorado for $60-70 is too good to pass up

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Hahaha, that's ridiculous.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Man this talk of Insights has given me a huge boner for them as well. I commute 200km a day and a stick shift future car sounds awesome.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

and got it up to 233mpg in a fuel economy challenge drafting an excursion.
It doesn't count as "drafting" if you bolt a trailer tongue to your front bumper and just hook on.

That said, I saw an Insight around here not too long ago and yeah, good looking car.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

It is indeed a 5 speed stick

http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYYC_Detail.aspx?Link=15/6/2016%5E592205e484924453b42e242997157938

Bluebook is only $1500. in the states they go for anywhere from $1000 to $7000. This being canada, at an auction, 3rd car of the day, it should go for $500-$1000 i think. The battery pack is only $1000 rebuilt, and there are a ton of instructions out there for rebuilding them yourself.
For some reason that link doesn't seem to go directly to it, but pretty easy to find from the main auction page.

http://details.maauctions.com/autolistingyyc.aspx

It looks pretty good go for it!

That little 2001 SLK Japanese Import with 30K might be interesting.

E: The 99-200 Ford motorhomes look interesting, do they usually go for a song or crazy being bought by dealers? That old chev chassis 22' Winnibego looks like a time capsule :lol: That should go in the rally.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 16, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

For some reason that link doesn't seem to go directly to it, but pretty easy to find from the main auction page.

http://details.maauctions.com/autolistingyyc.aspx

It looks pretty good go for it!

That little 2001 SLK Japanese Import with 30K might be interesting.

E: The 99-200 Ford motorhomes look interesting, do they usually go for a song or crazy being bought by dealers? That old chev chassis 22' Winnibego looks like a time capsule :lol: That should go in the rally.

motorhome usually go around half of retail. that one with 10k on it might be interesting

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am assuming it has a 110KM. I think that's a mid $20sK RV. You think it might go for low teens?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

I am assuming it has a 110KM. I think that's a mid $20sK RV. You think it might go for low teens?

If it's 110k, i'd say $6-9k

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Really? That might almost be worth a trip

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you're a gamblin man, they do online bidding on the RVs, you'll want to get registered to bid within the next couple hours. I'll be there by ~9ish i can check it out for ya, but i doubt i could tell you any more than the pictures do. They purged most of the old results, but in recent months, 2 Class A motorhomes, both 97s, both around 88k, went for $6300 and $6700

I remember at the one auction in edmonton, a 7.3 powerstroke RV like that going for $7000. The last one in edmonton, a 30 foot Class A with a cummins went for $8500.

e: i'm looking for bus parts, i need a fender and some of of the rub bar. Does anybody know of a wrecker that handles this kind of stuff? it seems it might be cheaper to just buy another bus.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 17, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hmm. Started the process but not keen on them taking a $500 per-authorization on my card. Have you done that with them before? Nothing shifty?

Regarding the bus parts, I used to know someone who worked for the school bus fleet company up in Grande Prairie years ago, and they kept a few of their retired units to pillage for parts. Might be worth dropping by your local bus company and asking if they have any wrecks you can buy parts from or where they get them from. I wouldn't bother calling, I'd probably just drop by the fleet shop where they do the work.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Hmm. Started the process but not keen on them taking a $500 per-authorization on my card. Have you done that with them before? Nothing shifty?

Regarding the bus parts, I used to know someone who worked for the school bus fleet company up in Grande Prairie years ago, and they kept a few of their retired units to pillage for parts. Might be worth dropping by your local bus company and asking if they have any wrecks you can buy parts from or where they get them from. I wouldn't bother calling, I'd probably just drop by the fleet shop where they do the work.

Already tried that, the catholic school division here seems to have every bus they ever owned sitting up against a fence, but won't let anybody in there no way no how.

I've never done a deposit with them, but i can't imagine they would risk their business doing shady poo poo.

What i think i might do is try to find a 6.4 bus for 1-2 grand. rob the drivetrain for the lincoln, and the body pannels for the blacklung. It's got a 7.17 rear gear in there, most of them seem to be about 5.57, i think 5.57 with 6th gear unlocked might give me enough speed.

e: 5.67s with 6th gear would put me at 1700 RPM at 100kph. right now the bus is governed to 2600RPM, 5th gear and 7.17s only gives me 90kph. 5.67s might be enough.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 17, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, too late now I guess.

I just discovered that autotrader.ca is still alive, I have no idea.

Looks like 99% dealers and probably 1% people that don't know what a kijijijijiii is. Why on earth would anyone still use that? :confused:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a good change this will go for $50, and looking at those front and rear fenders, it looks like there's tons of room for a mini-tub and boggers....

http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYYC_Detail.aspx?Link=17/6/2016%5E3f55ca45262343c086656b38db27d7f5

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Those are some fine seats. The interior has to be worth more than $50 by itself.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Seriously nobody wants to pay more than fifty bucks for a Paseo?

Get it, I've got a nitrous kit and need something to learn on.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

first car of the day almost always goes for double digits, usually it's a lame rear end accord or minivan.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ExecuDork posted:

Those are some fine seats. The interior has to be worth more than $50 by itself.

The gas in the tank is probably worth almost that.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Man slapped with 164 charges in vehicle consignment fraud investigation.

Quelle-loving-surprise.

Never trust a business with a 'Z' in the name, unless they sell xylophones.

Also, that's an amazing bus PS; digging the Swedish Racing Green paint job.

Apropos of nothing, dude down the street was doing some work with the front wheels up on ramps; take a wild guess what was behind the rear wheels. :skeltal:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The insight went for $1250. I really should have gone for it, but i was sick as hell and just wanted to go to sleep. The paseo was obviously sandwiched in a fender bender, and still went for $200.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Powershift posted:

The insight went for $1250. I really should have gone for it, but i was sick as hell and just wanted to go to sleep.

:( I was all ready to bombard you with hardcore nerd info. They can be affordable, Insightcentral always has a few for sale.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

:( I was all ready to bombard you with hardcore nerd info. They can be affordable, Insightcentral always has a few for sale.

Yeah, i was surprised i fit in it, and really should have left with it, but i was so hosed up i can't even tell you if it had a windshield in it. i know the engine was shaking like a bastard, but i can't imagine a 3 cylinder would be smooth.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

By chance did you catch what the RVs went for?

E: and yes, you should have

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 20, 2016

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

slidebite posted:

E: and yes, you should have

You guys are making it really hard not to pick one of these up and perform a turbo K24 swap.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hey Powershift do mig welders ever come up at auction? I'm in the market for one since it now looks like welding that kart is going to be a regular thing.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

Hey Powershift do mig welders ever come up at auction? I'm in the market for one since it now looks like welding that kart is going to be a regular thing.

What happened? You're welcome to use mine if need be.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Anyone here with experience winter driving up in Grande Prairie out to High Prairie and Slave Lake? How bad do the roads get?

We'll be moving to the area in the fall and need a replacement for a rusted out Cavalier. Preferably something with some towing capacity (uhaul moving trailer) and under $10,000. I looked at some Foresters and Outbacks but I don't want to deal with the head gasket issue before the move. There's also an '05 Highlander for sale near me with 178k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Slung Blade posted:

What happened? You're welcome to use mine if need be.

The tab that the bracket for the exhaust mount bolts onto broke off the chassis, welded that up last weekend and now the exhaust cracked so I'm just dealing with the typical exhaust related nonsense.

Thanks for the offer man man but I'm thinking I should buy one anyways since the Scirocco is probably going to need some repair panels next year and I suspect that the seat mounts are probably going to go on the kart sooner or later. I might actually get good at it be the end of this :v: