Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I don't think so, because the cards come out predictably and you chose between one of the two mushrooms at the end of the trail you can pretty easily identify the sets your opponents are trying to create and work from there.

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely game though. But it's a set builder with market row that you mostly see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

The rest of your post sounds like you're defending SR as having something of a strategic component, but I see 60% win rate for the "best" players in the world and think that the game is mostly luck. Like if it's almost a coin flip as to when I win vs when I lose, that's not really indicative of a game with a strong strategic component.

That's kind of how I took that, too. If you're the best at 60% that means that you've developed a finely honed skill set that allows you to improve on a coin toss by 10%. I still think it's a great mobile game since it plays fast, is mildly entertaining, and doesn't require a lot of attention.

Jedit posted:

Yah, you missed the "strategy" of buying outposts. Because your opponent has to clear them before he can hit you, stacking outposts will make you almost unkillable. Otherwise Star Realms is Ascension's retarded hillbilly cousin.

Yeah that seems to be the one solid strategy that I can see, otherwise everyone just buys up what they can afford since you need every color anyway (especially red to purge poo poo cards).

And I concur, bitching about games is valuable and should definitely be encouraged. There's plenty of sources to read for how great everything is, and going to Reddit for critical reviews usually just gives you a twenty-page wall of text from a complete autist.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Bitching about games is fine but it's often literally "I'm mad that other people aren't doing or thinking or feeling what I feel they ought" disguised as griping about a game. Which I personally dislike because it's such a boring sort of white noise post.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mortley posted:

It is a different audience in the same way that an art film audience is different from a Michael Bay audience. Or, hell - I myself want different things when I go to a Michael Bay movie - say I'm responsible for entertaining a teenage boy for an afternoon - from when I go to an art house movie (everyone ever watch Entertainment), that I'll obsess over for days afterward rather than forgetting it as soon as I walk out of the theater.

Do you really think that the funny pages and summer blockbusters are made by talentless hacks who just won the lottery by having a certain job?

Artists who refuse to be starving are more common than the willfully hungry. You make the fun stuff on your own time.

I think we're arguing about different things. I'm talking about the audience, the people buying these games. Among creators yes, they are absolutely enthusiasts. You don't get good at your job if you don't know the craft inside and out and no professional tackles a project thinking to themselves "Haha, this thing with my name on it is going to be so bad!"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Falling Sky, Cuba Libre and A Distant Plain are all back in stock at CSI.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

fuuuuuuuck youuuuuuu I'm going to Origins tomorrow I don't need to do this.

But if I see these games at Origins I know I'll pay full MSRP for them so call this pre-emptive purchasing???

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I would like a good game where you bought expansion materials that came in boxes of cookies :3:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

GrandpaPants posted:

I pre ordered at my favorite retailer so hopefully this means I'll get them soon, too :henget:

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

Bitching about games is fine but it's often literally "I'm mad that other people aren't doing or thinking or feeling what I feel they ought" disguised as griping about a game. Which I personally dislike because it's such a boring sort of white noise post.

I can see that, as that's the kind of wall of texts I was referring to from /r/boardgames. Seems to happen less here though.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Shadin posted:

That's kind of how I took that, too. If you're the best at 60% that means that you've developed a finely honed skill set that allows you to improve on a coin toss by 10%. I still think it's a great mobile game since it plays fast, is mildly entertaining, and doesn't require a lot of attention.

No, I agree with y'all - it's a luck-based game and I just took a couple sentences to describe pretty much all I know about strategy in that game.

al-azad posted:

I think we're arguing about different things. I'm talking about the audience, the people buying these games. Among creators yes, they are absolutely enthusiasts. You don't get good at your job if you don't know the craft inside and out and no professional tackles a project thinking to themselves "Haha, this thing with my name on it is going to be so bad!"

No, but people do tackle a project thinking, "well, this'll pay the mortgage." I'm really just defended the very limited point that it takes talent and brains to make popular-but-mediocre games.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Got my hands on a copy of Empires last night. Haven't actually played it yet, but the metal tokens feel really nice, as expected. Also for anyone that was worried, the cardstock is back to pre-Adventures stiffness.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I played a lot of Dominion this past week and my Hasbro made Intrigue really isn't holding up that well, the cards are hella curly. Might test my luck with Rio Grande support, because it's really bad, if an Intrigue card is on the top of the deck, you'll know it. Gonna be sad when my Adventures gets to that point.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

deadwing posted:

I played a lot of Dominion this past week and my Hasbro made Intrigue really isn't holding up that well, the cards are hella curly. Might test my luck with Rio Grande support, because it's really bad, if an Intrigue card is on the top of the deck, you'll know it. Gonna be sad when my Adventures gets to that point.

I've heard good things about their support, but never dealt with them myself.

Speaking of curling cards, how does FFG board game card stock hold up in people's experiences? I've sleeved everything until now but that just seems like it's a me problem and I'd like to not be so anal.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wait, does Warhammer Quest Silver Tower seriously have a "roll to see if you can roll" system? What? :psyduck:

I hope they didn't kill the Adventure Card Game for this.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Azran posted:

Wait, does Warhammer Quest Silver Tower seriously have a "roll to see if you can roll" system? What? :psyduck:

I hope they didn't kill the Adventure Card Game for this.

I don't think they did, considering that their game is in the Sigmar setting and costs $150, whereas the ACG is in the Old World and costs $30 and doesn't require putting together a million tiny miniatures. Seems like two completely different target audiences.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Shadin posted:

I don't think they did, considering that their game is in the Sigmar setting and costs $150, whereas the ACG is in the Old World and costs $30 and doesn't require putting together a million tiny miniatures. Seems like two completely different target audiences.

Also, The Silver Tower is Games Workshop proper, and the ACG is Fantasy Flight exercising their standing license with Games Workshop for using the Warhammer Fantasy and 40K IP for pretty much every non-miniatures based game type. I don't know the details, so I suppose it's conceivable the terms of that deal would allow GW to kill the ACG, but I can't imagine Fantasy Flight would have any incentive to short of it just not selling.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

What are the main differences between Falling Sky and Cuba Libre?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Shadin posted:

It seems kinda suspicious that WHQACG sold way past FFG's expectations yet no expansions have been announced, and out of the blue oh would you look at that a Warhammer Quest game. I mean, it's GW. I wouldn't put it past them.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

malkav11 posted:

Also, The Silver Tower is Games Workshop proper, and the ACG is Fantasy Flight exercising their standing license with Games Workshop for using the Warhammer Fantasy and 40K IP for pretty much every non-miniatures based game type. I don't know the details, so I suppose it's conceivable the terms of that deal would allow GW to kill the ACG, but I can't imagine Fantasy Flight would have any incentive to short of it just not selling.

Maybe, but I find it hard to believe that Fantasy Flight would enter into an agreement where GW could just kill a game anytime they want. Making any GW game would be a huge risk at that point and would make whatever they pay for the license a huge waste.

Azran posted:

It seems kinda suspicious that WHQACG sold way past FFG's expectations yet no expansions have been announced, and out of the blue oh would you look at that a Warhammer Quest game. I mean, it's GW. I wouldn't put it past them.

True, but the expansions they work on are planned in advance, so they probably didn't plan to do anything until they saw how it did. I'm sure we'll start seeing some once they're finished with this current onslaught of Star Whores.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

PerniciousKnid posted:

Well, on the surface: a different setting, factions, time period.

Mechanically they're vastly different variations on the same foundation. FS has a unique battle system, leaders, a "sort of bot" tribal faction, and generalized "sides," with two factions per side (nominally). CL is all vs all with less cohesion between factions, no leaders, a different economic system (with economic centers that are different from any other COIN economies). Falling sky is a bit more complex than Cuba Libre.

E: also FS has forts & allied tribes filling a similar niche to CLs bases, as well as local tribal confederacy

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 15, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

GrandpaPants posted:

The rest of your post sounds like you're defending SR as having something of a strategic component, but I see 60% win rate for the "best" players in the world and think that the game is mostly luck. Like if it's almost a coin flip as to when I win vs when I lose, that's not really indicative of a game with a strong strategic component.

Well kinda - Presumably the Best Players in the World are generally playing against other Best Players, and getting beaten by them. If matchmaking is entirely random then yeah that'd be weird but I assume people who are good are seeking out other people who are good to play against.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Countblanc posted:

Well kinda - Presumably the Best Players in the World are generally playing against other Best Players, and getting beaten by them. If matchmaking is entirely random then yeah that'd be weird but I assume people who are good are seeking out other people who are good to play against.

While this is true, I'm not really going to give the benefit of the doubt to a market row deckbuilder. Although I do kinda wonder what the win percentage breakdowns of something with perfect information like Chess or Go are among the higher level players.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Shadin posted:

Maybe, but I find it hard to believe that Fantasy Flight would enter into an agreement where GW could just kill a game anytime they want. Making any GW game would be a huge risk at that point and would make whatever they pay for the license a huge waste.

Yeah, it seems unlikely to me too. But hey, they wouldn't be the first boardgame company to have terrible decision-makers at the helm.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Countblanc posted:

I get what you're saying. Like in the world series of poker, who actually wins is anyone's guess but it's not coincidence that the same 10 players make it all the way to the end every year.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Reminder that the Star Realms app had Cutter appearing in the opening market like 4 times as often as it should for no reason, which is great because it's the best opening buy in the game.

You can get 'better' at Star Realms but all improvement is pretty much 100% theory because individual decisions have zero feedback, the randomness is so high it's basically impossible to tell whether any individual purchase or play is good at all. It's a bad game and everything by White Wizard just reeks of lazy design.

Speaking of bad games, I finally got to play Dead of Winter the other night and it's as much of a mess as people said. 5 players with no betrayer, no tension at all and only two of us actually won because the rest just didn't draw the cards they needed through pure chance. The crossroads cards are hilarious boring, like they just gave up designing them half way through.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
In SR the matchmaking is not random but puts people near the same rank together. You can challenge someone above a certain (fairly low) level if you're a newbie but it won't count toward their win percentage when they beat you. It's possible that the 60% mostly against other similarly-skilled players would work out to 80-90% against beginners. (Edit but it guess in chess or go or even poker for that matter it would approach 100%)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gonna be playing Dungeon Lords with potentially no one having played it before. Anything we should watch out for?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

SynthOrange posted:

Gonna be playing Dungeon Lords with potentially no one having played it before. Anything we should watch out for?

Priests/clerics don't heal the party unless one of them suffered damage in combat on that round, due to their strict interpretations of their contracts. This is key to defeating parties with healing.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Read the rulebook, send everyone else PDFs to read before you get together. It's a great rulebook that's actually somewhat amusing! Also run through the four combat scenarios and the optimal moves for them that the rulebook has.

radlum
May 13, 2013
So is Codenames as good as people say it is? I'm interested on buying it since my FLGS got the game recently

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

radlum posted:

So is Codenames as good as people say it is? I'm interested on buying it since my FLGS got the game recently

Yes, but I'm one of the people saying it. :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

radlum posted:

It all depends on the people you'll be playing with. It's also really difficult to criticize properly because all the "game" does is set up a means for you and your friends to play a slower version of $10,000 Pyramid's winning circle. I dislike the game because it brings out the disparity in the way I connect information but at the same time it has created a lot of memorable moments we quote a year later. It's memorable which is enough for me to recommend it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

SynthOrange posted:

Definitely do the training first. Traps cost 1 gold in rooms. Trolls can be used in production. Year two: production rooms can be used twice and you draw one extra trap card and discard a trap you already have or just drew, applies only when buying traps and not in production.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

malkav11 posted:

Yeah, it seems unlikely to me too. But hey, they wouldn't be the first boardgame company to have terrible decision-makers at the helm.

There was a rumor a while back that GW was looking to amend their deal with FFG, as GW was looking to get back into board games proper. Considering the only news from FFG about GW products has been about their LCG lines (and not, for example, an expansion for Forbidden Stars or for the Warhammer Quest ACG), it looks like it may be true.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Triple-Kan posted:

There was a rumor a while back that GW was looking to amend their deal with FFG, as GW was looking to get back into board games proper. Considering the only news from FFG about GW products has been about their LCG lines (and not, for example, an expansion for Forbidden Stars or for the Warhammer Quest ACG), it looks like it may be true.

I sure hope not. Say what you will about FFG, but they actually understand how to design, promote and sell boardgames. They aren't always the best boardgames (honestly almost never), but there isn't a Games Workshop game that they didn't handle better than GW ever did.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!
Looks like Container is being reprinted, for those of you that missed out the first time around (buy it this time)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I played Concordia tonight for the first time.

It is excellent. I really gotta get it.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

The Journey Fraternity posted:

Looks like Container is being reprinted, for those of you that missed out the first time around (buy it this time)

I endorse this post and its contents. Buy Container.

I technically own it already, but it would be worth the upgrade if the new one comes with boats made out of a common substance instead of whatever bizarre industrial reject plastic the old ones were made of.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PlaneGuy posted:

I endorse this post and its contents. Buy Container.

I technically own it already, but it would be worth the upgrade if the new one comes with boats made out of a common substance instead of whatever bizarre industrial reject plastic the old ones were made of.

The original ships were made of dental composite resin. You quite possibly have some in your mouth right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Cuba Libre is probably the easier entry point of the two, and the easier to get to the table. Play time is about 3-5 hours, whereas FS will push 4-6. FS also has a few mechanical wrinkles that add complications - territory control, allied tribes and supply lines are all board manipulation elements that are important to control, and combat is both more frequent and more complex (strings of modifiers). It also departs from the rest of the COIN series in that the Hidden/Active units are more relevant to their capabilities, rather than whether they're vulnerable to attack (FS has them always vulnerable). The NPC Germans are a bit of work mechanically. Cuba Libre's smaller board makes it a little faster to resolve turns (and shrinks the decision space a little) and it's mechanical similarity to 5/6's of the COIN series make it a good starting point.