Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

wyoak posted:

I've learned to deal with it. It really only affects one on one fights, it does suck against certain monsters since the dodge is less effective if you're not lined up with them but it's not a deal breaker. From what I've read it might fix itself after I complete a certain mission, we'll see.

Thanks, I love the Witcher 3 and I want to play it. Geralt has medium hair, for a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

JetsGuy posted:

IIRC there's no difference. If you convinced him to go to Kaer Morhen you'll see him again.

Hurray! Awesome, thanks... when I played through 2 a friend told me to let anyone I wanted to see again live, he was the only guy I really wanted to murder, but I'm glad I didn't. ^^

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Two things: One is there a way to cheese into the Kaer Trolde place of power without doing Kings Gambit?

Two: If I romance both Triss and Yen and they dump me, will Ciri visit in Blood and Wine or Dandelion?

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

So I'm going through NG+ and have just started the Cave of Dreams quest...

I get a perma-crash immediately after Geralt and crew begin tripping. can't even make it to the next cinematic where Wolverine is talking to the mute. Any suggestions?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Say no to drugs.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arcsquad12 posted:

Two things: One is there a way to cheese into the Kaer Trolde place of power without doing Kings Gambit?

Two: If I romance both Triss and Yen and they dump me, will Ciri visit in Blood and Wine or Dandelion?

Ciri, I think. I'm pretty sure Dandelion only comes if Ciri is dead or the empress

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SirSamVimes posted:

Ciri, I think. I'm pretty sure Dandelion only comes if Ciri is dead or the empress

Okay cool. I'm playing Geralt as a hopeless sex machine who bangs everyone he meets, yet cannot hold a meaningful relationship to save his life. It'll make Hearts of Stone more entertaining as he desperately tries to get with Shani, only for her to dump him as well.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I was postin about how dumb it is to be mad about the all white world but it's been said a few times in this thread.

There's a few gay characters but it makes sense that it's not totally in your face since milf guard are literal nazis burning freaks at the stake. also dandelion is totally playing both sides of the field ;)

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 15, 2016

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Scientifically speaking, race is a completely meaningless concept. It is literally skin deep and nothing more.

Educate yourself on human anthropology before you make such ignorant posts.

From a medical and epidemiological point of view, there are many diseases that disproportionately affect people of different races, and some races don't get the same benefit as others from commonly prescribed medications.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

I'm a gay dude. I'm not really bothered that Geralt can only be straight, and is really into big-tittied sorcereresses. The game only gives a few nods to the LGBT community that I'm aware of, but they're well done.

[...] if it was possible to play gay Geralt I would have appreciated that and it would've been cool, but I'm not sure it would add much to the story overall.

You missed out on romancing Zoltan and Roche? Pick one... but there is a funny cutscene if you go with both of them.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

the truth posted:

You missed out on romancing Zoltan and Roche?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D30JDkDHWZk

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

SirSamVimes posted:

Not quite (BaW):Empress Ciri is on an educational tour of the Nilfgaardian vassal states, and she stops over in Beauclair.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

wiegieman posted:

Not quite (BaW):Empress Ciri is on an educational tour of the Nilfgaardian vassal states, and she stops over in Beauclair.

That's rad. I love this game.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I've been playing through the final quests of Blood and wine to find different endings available. I'll put what I've found in spoilers below and I'd love to know if anyone else has found something different.

Ending 1: They're all dead Dave
Choose to find Orianna and only follow the Unseen Elder questline.
This means that you never interact with, or learn more about Syanna. You show up to a forced meeting with Dettlaff who is really pissed at you for not bringing Syanna. You fight, he dies.
You can then choose to question the bootblack and find out the full extent of the plot. You can even give this info to Damien and Annarietta, but in vain. Syanna kills the ducessa and is killed herself.
You get a touching scene of Toussaint in mourning, a huge gold statue of Annarietta appears in Beauclair and you visit their graves to lay flowers.
Because Dettlaff is dead, Regis has to leave

Ending 2: Happy Ever After
Choose to find Damien and go to Fableland to get Syanna. Make sure you read all the journal entries and also make sure you talk to the Flint girl so Syanna gets the red ribbon. Also be sympathetic/understanding to Syanna when you have your chats.
Meet with Dettlaff who tries to kill Syanna but the ribbon transports her to safety. Dettlaff is pissed at you, you fight, he dies.
Go to the bootblack to get the whole plot, speak to Syanna in custody and steer her towards forgiveness.
Syanna and Annarietta hug and make up. Telling Damien and Annarietta about the fifth victim seems to make no difference.
Regis has to leave because Dettlaff is dead

Ending 3: You really hosed this up
This starts like ending 2, but don't visit the flint girl and don't get the ribbon. This time when you meet with Dettlaff he kills Syanna and because he's got what he wanted you get a choice of whether to fight him or let him go and dissappear. I let him go, so he lives.
Annarietta is really pissed at you, I mean really, really pissed and you end up in jail for killing her sister and for letting the Beast go. Which various people seem really keen to remind you about. Whoops. After jail shenanigans you get released because Dandelion comes to Beauclair and argues for your release. Yay!
You can then do the bootblack quest and even choose to go and tell Annarietta that her beloved dead sister was plotting to kill her. That goes as well as you think it will and you leave Annarietta still pissed off at you and being comforted by Dandelion.
Regis gets to stay and he gets to dryly express his surprise that Annarietta didn't tearfully embrace you and forgive you for bringing her the news of her beloved sisters treachery.

So, I think these are the 3 main endings but there could be minor variations in how to get to them or in dialogue reactions.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Been playing this for a few hours now. Is it always going to be windy as gently caress in this game?

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
So I just started playing this game and am enjoying it quite a bit. I'm a little confused on how alchemy works. It seems like the buff and healing potions just stay in your inventory and replenish once you've crafted them when you meditate as long as you have some alcohol in your inventory and you don't need to collect all the ingredients to manually craft them once you've done it once? I'm playing on I think normal difficulty. More specialized ones seem to need to be actually crafted as needed with all the ingredients.

Also, assuming I'm understanding the mechanics right, do decoctions require a mutagen for each one, or do you just need to do it once and you know it forever? I've got three mutagens that do the same thing as far as character bonuses go so I can burn one but it seems like a waste if it's a one use thing.

The last RPG I sunk any amount of time into was Skyrim and I never touched crafting in it so it's a bit much.

Also is there a level cap and am I going to gimp myself by just picking whatever upgrades sound good at the time?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Turfahurf posted:

So I just started playing this game and am enjoying it quite a bit. I'm a little confused on how alchemy works. It seems like the buff and healing potions just stay in your inventory and replenish once you've crafted them when you meditate as long as you have some alcohol in your inventory and you don't need to collect all the ingredients to manually craft them once you've done it once? I'm playing on I think normal difficulty. More specialized ones seem to need to be actually crafted as needed with all the ingredients.

Also, assuming I'm understanding the mechanics right, do decoctions require a mutagen for each one, or do you just need to do it once and you know it forever? I've got three mutagens that do the same thing as far as character bonuses go so I can burn one but it seems like a waste if it's a one use thing.

The last RPG I sunk any amount of time into was Skyrim and I never touched crafting in it so it's a bit much.

Also is there a level cap and am I going to gimp myself by just picking whatever upgrades sound good at the time?
All the potions and decoctions are crafted once and then replenish with alcohol, there are no exceptions so the crafting ingredients you see in the menu will always be one and done deal. The same goes for bombs.

There's a level cap at 70 for the main game (however you'll be able to only get to around level 35 with your first completionist run, there's just not enough xp in the gameworld for much more) which grows with every expansion installed but you will be able to buy respec potions later on so you can experiment. They cost 1000 though which is a fair amount of money right at the start of the game (peanuts later on) so don't do that at like level 4 or something.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 15, 2016

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Oh I just did a race and Roach's tail was gone, did they ever figure out what that bug was caused by or whatever?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Oh I just did a race and Roach's tail was gone, did they ever figure out what that bug was caused by or whatever?

It only affects Roach in Novigrad/Velen. Go to Skellige and her tail and mane will be back. I have no idea if this also affects the black stallion who replaces Roach if you get your reward from Emhyr.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

It only affects Roach in Novigrad/Velen. Go to Skellige and her tail and mane will be back. I have no idea if this also affects the black stallion who replaces Roach if you get your reward from Emhyr.

Wow, the most shameful horse imaginable.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

the truth posted:

From a medical and epidemiological point of view, there are many diseases that disproportionately affect people of different races, and some races don't get the same benefit as others from commonly prescribed medications.

Ethnicity =/= race. hth.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Palpek posted:

All the potions and decoctions are crafted once and then replenish with alcohol, there are no exceptions so the crafting ingredients you see in the menu will always be one and done deal. The same goes for bombs.

There's a level cap at 70 for the main game (however you'll be able to only get to around level 35 with your first completionist run, there's just not enough xp in the gameworld for much more) which grows with every expansion installed but you will be able to buy respec potions later on so you can experiment. They cost 1000 though which is a fair amount of money right at the start of the game (peanuts later on) so don't do that at like level 4 or something.

Thank you, this answered pretty much all of my questions. I guess I'll craft a decoction or two.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh man, Polly's fiance in the Cabaret quest. That zoom in on his face when he hears coin, so good.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

So I think I'm gonna do BaW and then NG+ on my save file that's currently in mastercrafted wolven gear, and I want to shift to a more alchemy (read: bomb)-heavy hybrid build. What signs are worth skill point investment into higher level content (probably on Blood and Broken Bones, definitely not Death March though)? Alt-igni seems like it got nerfed hard since I played a sign build, but aard seems way better than it used to be. Or maybe I didn't give it enough credit back then. Alt-yrden sounds pretty cool too but I've never used it much. I also don't really know how deep I want to go into the sword tree. It seems like just getting the fast attack damage and crit improvement skills is all you really need, but I dunno.

I guess what I'm basically asking is: please help me make a hybrid Geralt that has access to cluster bombs while still being good enough at signs and swords, TIA. this is what I ended up with after a first pass but I'd be glad to take suggestions on different/better skills, especially since I haven't kept up with whatever balance changes have been made since before HoS came out.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Helith posted:

I've been playing through the final quests of Blood and wine to find different endings available. I'll put what I've found in spoilers below and I'd love to know if anyone else has found something different.

Ending 1: They're all dead Dave
Choose to find Orianna and only follow the Unseen Elder questline.
This means that you never interact with, or learn more about Syanna. You show up to a forced meeting with Dettlaff who is really pissed at you for not bringing Syanna. You fight, he dies.
You can then choose to question the bootblack and find out the full extent of the plot. You can even give this info to Damien and Annarietta, but in vain. Syanna kills the ducessa and is killed herself.
You get a touching scene of Toussaint in mourning, a huge gold statue of Annarietta appears in Beauclair and you visit their graves to lay flowers.
Because Dettlaff is dead, Regis has to leave

Ending 2: Happy Ever After
Choose to find Damien and go to Fableland to get Syanna. Make sure you read all the journal entries and also make sure you talk to the Flint girl so Syanna gets the red ribbon. Also be sympathetic/understanding to Syanna when you have your chats.
Meet with Dettlaff who tries to kill Syanna but the ribbon transports her to safety. Dettlaff is pissed at you, you fight, he dies.
Go to the bootblack to get the whole plot, speak to Syanna in custody and steer her towards forgiveness.
Syanna and Annarietta hug and make up. Telling Damien and Annarietta about the fifth victim seems to make no difference.
Regis has to leave because Dettlaff is dead

Ending 3: You really hosed this up
This starts like ending 2, but don't visit the flint girl and don't get the ribbon. This time when you meet with Dettlaff he kills Syanna and because he's got what he wanted you get a choice of whether to fight him or let him go and dissappear. I let him go, so he lives.
Annarietta is really pissed at you, I mean really, really pissed and you end up in jail for killing her sister and for letting the Beast go. Which various people seem really keen to remind you about. Whoops. After jail shenanigans you get released because Dandelion comes to Beauclair and argues for your release. Yay!
You can then do the bootblack quest and even choose to go and tell Annarietta that her beloved dead sister was plotting to kill her. That goes as well as you think it will and you leave Annarietta still pissed off at you and being comforted by Dandelion.
Regis gets to stay and he gets to dryly express his surprise that Annarietta didn't tearfully embrace you and forgive you for bringing her the news of her beloved sisters treachery.

So, I think these are the 3 main endings but there could be minor variations in how to get to them or in dialogue reactions.

There's a variant of ending 2 where if you gently caress up learning about Syanna's history, investigating the fifth victim or influencing her toward forgiveness, she kills Anna Henrietta and gets killed in turn, just like ending 1

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm about to move on to Novigrad, I know that If you try to romance both Yen and Triss, they both end up mad at you. Does that mean I need to be intentionally dickish to the one I don't want, or is there an explicit "Press R for romance" choice I can look for?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Anyone share the new Roach Gwent card? Here, have it again.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm about to move on to Novigrad, I know that If you try to romance both Yen and Triss, they both end up mad at you. Does that mean I need to be intentionally dickish to the one I don't want, or is there an explicit "Press R for romance" choice I can look for?

It's all pretty obvious. You'd have to really not be paying attention to accidentally go down that road.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Speaking of gwent, I finished the quest to get all the Skellige cards, but I can't build a deck with them. I've only got two leaders, and the deck inventory shows me at zero cards to actually build my deck with. Don't suppose there's a way to console them to myself, is there?

Edit:

Tried the gwent card dealer mod. Could buy the cards, they were flagged as already in my inventory, still can't build a deck and the deck building screen still reads as zero cards. poo poo.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 15, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Omi no Kami posted:

If you want to go the Yen route, because they're grumps made for each other, the Triss sections actually support this. Triss and Geralt's romance is the shaky "before she came back you were the only one I looked at, but now I'm not so sure" type of story. Triss makes it clear, not from her words but her actions, that she still wants Geralt, but she is internally torn over how she's taken advantage of him, and what it would mean for her friendship with Yennefer. You can reject her advances, but she never yells at you for it, and blames herself for being selfish. It can end with her either taking you up on it by reciprocating her feelings, or accepting that she'll never be with Geralt and focusing entirely on her own problems for a change.

In other news, Extra Credits is going a playthrough of Witcher 3 specifically looking at the animation aspect of the game. Sitting back and watching the facial expressions while an animator talks about the effort that went into making them work is a treat. Its the sort of stuff you never notice until you stop to think about it, and it is just astonishing how much work went into the animation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh2U5Nh1bH4

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Arcsquad12 posted:

In other news, Extra Credits is going a playthrough of Witcher 3 specifically looking at the animation aspect of the game. Sitting back and watching the facial expressions while an animator talks about the effort that went into making them work is a treat. Its the sort of stuff you never notice until you stop to think about it, and it is just astonishing how much work went into the animation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh2U5Nh1bH4

I forgot Yen killed a bunch of Temerian soldiers. Why was she even on the battlefield in the first place?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Jack of Hearts posted:

I forgot Yen killed a bunch of Temerian soldiers. Why was she even on the battlefield in the first place?

Running from the Wild Hunt. The battlefield was in the way. She was in the area because Curi was there earlier.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jack of Hearts posted:

She was traveling on horseback rather than teleporting because she was afraid the Wild Hunt would pick up her magical signature. Yennefer was supposed to meet Geralt at Willoughby but the Temerians and Nilfgaard clashed there just as she was passing through. Apparently it's not the first time she's been caught in between two armies, as the Oxenfurt scholar who teaches you Gwent says there have been rumors about the "Lady of War" dressed in black and white appearing during battles.

wiegieman posted:

Running from the Wild Hunt. The battlefield was in the way. She was in the area because Curi was there earlier.

Ciri never made it to White Orchard. She was traveling through Velen after teleporting there from Ard Skellige.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Do do runestones you add to a weapon stack their bonuses with those inherent to the weapon, e.g. if I have a sword that has a 5% bleeding chance and I add a +2 rune, it's now a 7% chance, right?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ciri never made it to White Orchard. She was traveling through Velen after teleporting there from Ard Skellige.

Since magic is involved, you can just toss any number of pretend-reasons why she was there and call it a day. Percentage based distance tolerance on hydromancy locating spells? Sounds about right.

e:

TG-Chrono posted:

Anyone share the new Roach Gwent card? Here, have it again.

goddamn

Fewd fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 15, 2016

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Verranicus posted:

I'm not sure it's right to expect diversity in a fantasy world based on mythology from a part of the world that was and still is like 99.999% white

This is a misconception that a lot of people have, it's also irrelevant, even if it was true.

The ethnic and "racial" homogeneity of modern day Poland is largely the result of *recent* historical forces. Late middle ages and renaissance Poland was actually quite cosmopolitan. Moreover, it's becoming increasingly diverse today, and the game is meant to deal with modern issues, it's not a historical simulation.

Secondly, the game doesn't take place in Poland, it takes place in Temeria and Redania, totally fictional places that can look like anything we want it to look like.

The criticism is valid, if minor (and even in the context of the Polygon review, it is a minor criticism). The reaction to this criticism is complicated, however, by the fact that the reviewer is imposing a racial scheme that is at least partially foreign to the majority of the developers. The general understanding of American racial schemes baffle many of the Poles I know, which is unsurprising, considering how many Americans I know are similarly baffled. Regardless, many Poles do not consider themselves to be part of the racial class that we in America would call "white".

That said, we are making an international mass-market product that needs to be sensitive and cognisant of the various cultures where we're selling the product, and America is one of our largest markets.

Sorry for bringing this back up, but I actually think it's one of the more interesting discussions we can have in this thread. So I guess... sorry, not sorry.

EDIT: But I think actually it's been done pretty decently already, I think this is the third or fourth time I've posted this. So, sorry, not sorry, legit sorry.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 15, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

That said, we are making an international mass-market product that needs to be sensitive and cognisant of the various cultures where we're selling the product, and America is one of our largest markets.

At the same time, it's important not to pander to this sort of thing in a way that's simply a token gesture. From what I've seen of some US games or films, including a single inexplicable black character in the story is enough to satisfy critics that it's "diverse" but frankly I'm not sure that's worth anything at all. Sure, you could have avoided this criticism by doing that but it would be far better to include a rich and complex culture that fits in with the lore of the game, making it an important part of the world - which is absolutely what I imagine you would have done if you were to tackle this issue.

I think there's something to be said for doing something well or not at all and it's a shame that something as simple as pallet swapping the skin colour of a random character would probably avoid much of the criticism while being entirely superficial. I imagine in this case it's more to do with not realising the reaction that some people would have, but I'm glad you didn't just do a last minute "quickly make character X into a black guy" which would seem to miss the real issue.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

How about no.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Watching the Extra Play video is just blowing my mind about how good the character animation is all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Chalks posted:

Sure, you could have avoided this criticism by doing that but it would be far better to include a rich and complex culture that fits in with the lore of the game, making it an important part of the world - which is absolutely what I imagine you would have done if you were to tackle this issue.

I think this is what we did in HoS.