Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Holy poo poo, was this discussed yet?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/14/leave-eu-cartoon-racist-nazi-brexit-antisemitism-1945

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That's not the sun, it's an H bomb going off.

I'm the shark POLITICAL CORRECTNESS

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also why do all lovely newspaper cartoonists have exactly the same signature style? Is there a font pack they're using or something?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If debt is gonna take them over the edge then they don't have to worry about the politically correct sharks or failure tornadoes. :unsmith:

e: Most of the comments on that article are some form of 'it looks fine to me, what's the issue?'

stev fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 15, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Alternatively:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

There's a reason they call him Zyklon Ben.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ Mostly because it annoys the gently caress out of him, but yes, he is a pro-Trump racist for hire.

Not here, but it's been discussed at length in the Politoons thread.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36533344

quote:

But in retaliation, in a direct challenge to George Osborne's authority, 57 Tory MPs, including former cabinet ministers, have issued a statement, incredulous at the chancellor's behaviour - saying it is absurd to make a political promise to punish voters in this way - to break Conservative manifesto promises.
Most seriously for a government with a tiny majority, they say they would vote to block such a Budget, making Mr Osborne's position untenable.

Delicious.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
id prefer literally locking ourselves inside a burning building with the tory party but i suppose i can make do with metaphorically

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

quote:

Whatever you decide a week tomorrow, the governing party may be changed for good.

Whoever wins, They lose :unsmigghh:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

quote:

First, because this is not London, the media have not ferreted out the truth and put it on their front pages
If only there was some kind of local news organisation that could perform such tasks. Maybe they could take the news, put in on a piece of paper and sell it to people. A sort of "news-paper", if you will.

Oh yeah no one wants to pay for news so they've all laid off all their reporters or else gone bankrupt, good job British public

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I love how this guy constantly whines that 4chan edit his comics to make him look anti-Semitic and then releases racist poo poo like this without a single qualm.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/mar/11/sinn-fein-irish-reunification-vote-brexit-eu-referendum

Just gonna leave this here.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Also why do all lovely newspaper cartoonists have exactly the same signature style? Is there a font pack they're using or something?
I also like that they are so bad at their craft that they have to label everything in their picture because they have no idea how to communicate their ideas effectively through their artistic ability.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

while he was probably gone anyway in the event of brexit he just confirmed it. maybe the tories will drop the ludicrous deficit target they set themselves because theres not exactly any other way to meet it

as a reminder our current GDP only needs to shrink 0.6% or something for the money spent on the EU to be wiped out

also

https://twitter.com/jdportes/status/742993081822236674?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Jose fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 15, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

I love how this guy constantly whines that 4chan edit his comics to make him look anti-Semitic and then releases racist poo poo like this without a single qualm.
Well yeah, because he doesn't care about looking racist, just antisemitic.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Gorn Myson posted:

I also like that they are so bad at their craft that they have to label everything in their picture because they have no idea how to communicate their ideas effectively through their artistic ability.

It's times like this I wish I had any cartooning ability so I could bash out a really obvious caricature of Ben Garrison wearing a sash that says "political cartoonist" and leaning on a crutch covered in paper tags.

To one side would be the word LABELS, with an arrow pointing to the crutch. :ironicat:

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Note that Osborne is claiming that Labour would back his hyper-austerity Leave budget:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36534192

quote:

[Osborne] also played down the threat of Conservative MPs blocking an emergency Budget, suggesting that Labour and Conservative MPs would join forces to "take the necessary measures".

"No Conservative wants to raise taxes, least of all me but equally Conservative and Labour MPs understand you cannot have chaos in your public finances... a Conservative government would do what is needed to deal with huge instability in our economy."

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

dispatch_async posted:

Note that Osborne is claiming that Labour would back his hyper-austerity Leave budget:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36534192

Osborne is finished either way after this I think.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Obligatory

wake up sheeple

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
He drew political correctness as a shark, a much maligned creature commonly thought to be a dangerous threat to humans, despite this being demonstrably untrue. The misapprehension was caused by popular media and a few overhyped news stories embedding the idea into public consciousness, followed by years of common sense spread by people who haven't thought very hard about what they're really afraid of.

I can't exactly say "a good cartoon" though, because the rest is a garbage fire.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And he looks like he's just finished grave robbing Terry Pratchett and Eric Morecambe.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Not Operator posted:

He drew political correctness as a shark, a much maligned creature commonly thought to be a dangerous threat to humans, despite this being demonstrably untrue. The misapprehension was caused by popular media and a few overhyped news stories embedding the idea into public consciousness, followed by years of common sense spread by people who haven't thought very hard about what they're really afraid of.

I can't exactly say "a good cartoon" though, because the rest is a garbage fire.

The cartoonish fears of the Right will drive the EU off the edge of the waterfall while they row away thinking they've won but they're clearly not going to be able to row against the tide and will follow them off the edge fairly soon after. A Good Cartoon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fans posted:

The cartoonish fears of the Right will drive the EU off the edge of the waterfall while they row away thinking they've won but they're clearly not going to be able to row against the tide and will follow them off the edge fairly soon after. A Good Cartoon.
And if Europe had taken on a ton more debt in 2008 they could have anchored themselves.
And the waves of immigration are directly being caused by economic failure, specifically the combination of protectionism and forcing neoliberal policies on North Africa and the Middle East.
And if diversity swung hard left it'd be in a position to lay down direct fire on economic failure.
And if regulation were a lot wider and more comprehensive it'd be a good mainsail.
And ploop!

Overall, lots of good points from Garrison.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

while he was probably gone anyway in the event of brexit he just confirmed it. maybe the tories will drop the ludicrous deficit target they set themselves because theres not exactly any other way to meet it

2010: "I will end the deficit by 2015"

2015: "I couldn't do it because the Lib Dems stopped me! I will end the deficit by 2020"

speculative 2020: "I couldn't do it because our party, the party of economic competence, tanked the economy by holding a stupid as poo poo referendum and chumped out for the campaign to Remain"

"I will end the deficit by 2030"

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
If we leave I hope PLOOP! becomes the sound effect of a nation

haakman
May 5, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

2010: "I will end the deficit by 2015"

2015: "I couldn't do it because the Lib Dems stopped me! I will end the deficit by 2020"

speculative 2020: "I couldn't do it because our party, the party of economic competence, tanked the economy by holding a stupid as poo poo referendum and chumped out for the campaign to Remain"

"I will end the deficit by 2030"

And the media will loving lap it up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what not to do when you're renting

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779396

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you're the landlord that's a get up and go striver attitude though.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I've seen London rooms that are about that size.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I got a Remain leaflet through the post this morning. My mum has informed me she's just received seventeen (17) Leave leaflets. I mean, they're nothing if not thorough.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Yeah I've had nothing but Leave leaflets through the post in Nottingham. Except for one that had the proud caption 'Liberal Democrats for IN' which I threw away just as fast.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I've had two Remain (one from Labour Stronger In or whatever they're calling themselves) and one Leave. I don't think they like their chances around Golders Green for some reason

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Apparently there were a few duplicates, but still, shoving an entire tree through everyone's letterbox is an interesting tactic.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/743032797758169088

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Peak goon house.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

serious gaylord posted:

Peak goon house.

So there's load-bearing drywall involved?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
As I've suspected since day one but could never be bothered to check, it turns out the government are under no legal obligation to do anything about the result of the referendum.

There's still peer pressure of course, and I wouldn't put it past any of these idiots to take a damaging course of action they really don't want to just because they feel like they have to in order to save face.

In any case, the meltdowns will be glorious.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Flatscan posted:

So there's load-bearing drywall involved?

No, it's specifically not load bearing (or even touching the ceiling), that's what makes it legal! :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

HJB posted:

Apparently there were a few duplicates, but still, shoving an entire tree through everyone's letterbox is an interesting tactic.

i did some campaigning during the 2010 GE and putting at least three pieces of paper through the letterbox a day was the entire election strategy. it worked, too. Or at least it didn't annoy people enough to put them off.

• Locked thread