Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Two years ago there was league and ???, viewership has grown but over watch, hearthstone, and cs:go are all big time streamed games competing for the same viewership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Kind of crazy to say numbers are down when there's still 60-100k watching league pretty consistently when no events are happening.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

And China streaming must be ginormous if they're hiring all these Korean pros basically just to stream all day.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

If you can't make it as a pro or a streamer you can go into QA for Riot I guess:

https://twitter.com/GleebglarbuLoL/status/742595502990970880

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Nice Tweet~

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

news: Rush gone from C9
views: cj rush

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

archduke.iago posted:

news: Rush gone from C9
views: i cant think of an lck team that needs a jungler
He'll go rot on Longzhu with Flame

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

M. Night Skymall posted:

If you can't make it as a pro or a streamer you can go into QA for Riot I guess:

https://twitter.com/GleebglarbuLoL/status/742595502990970880

Seems to be the supports that make it! I know Daydreamin and M Eye A are on that QA team too.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Work Friend Keven posted:

And China streaming must be ginormous if they're hiring all these Korean pros basically just to stream all day.

Not only is streaming big over there, but there are multiple viable platforms competing with each other which is upping the incentive to get more exclusive contracts.

It's sort of like when Azubu was throwing money away, except people actually watch these streams. Azubu was probably the best western streaming platform, CLG got paid and barely had to do poo poo. Obviously that wasn't sustainable tho.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Also hooray, Rush is free

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

After poking around to see what people think about this, I have found out that the only way to make this fair is apparently to take away Bjergsens residency, according to plenty of unbiased fans.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
is that a reddit opinion

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

idk, it's what i was seeing on twitter.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
People think it's unfair that players got grandfathered in (Bjergson, Seraph, Sanatorin and some other players nobody cares about) while other players in NA waited legitimately to become eligible to build 3-5 man Korean rosters like Rush and Impact only to be told the rules were changing.

But this isn't really about NA or EU, it's about China which has enough Korean players to build 3-4 legitimate full teams of Koreans (Including basically Samsung Blue, White, and maybe a Naijin or KT team).

Two things lead to this happening in the first place. The first, was how much China was offering pros compared to Korean teams and the nail in the coffin was after Season 4 when Riot dismantled sister teams while OGN had obvious plans for expanding their broadcasting.

Dismantling the Sister teams was one of the dumbest things that Riot could have done because it hadn't even been an issue in Korea in the first place, but they pushed out so many pros from Korea because they weren't willing to sub or play on the bench that China is now full of 10-man rosters because now pros are much more comfortable sitting on the bench for a year if they're getting paid a million bucks to play like 15 games.

OGN Masters series was so much fun to watch at the time too, it was much better than the traditional Best of 3 format.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

rabidsquid posted:

Also hooray, Rush is free

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Is there a case to be made that this is a bait and switch on the part of Riot? For instance, if I'm C9 or TL, I can say that I made business decisions based on this promise from Riot, only to have the situation change right before when my imports would have their region changed.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

CJ Entus still have no idea what patch they're on yet they're stomping ROX Tigers. C'Mon guys

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i was kind of sad about not getting to watch rush own noobs anymore but i just checked out reddit and apparently meteos is better than him anyway

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
This Samsung vs Longzhu game is seriously just uhhhh....well it sure is something.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Kooriken posted:

This Samsung vs Longzhu game is seriously just uhhhh....well it sure is something.

It's already past 60 minutes and it feels like half of this game was a Baron dance. I think the last kill was over 20 minutes ago.

E: It's over. Effin' finally.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 15, 2016

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Hahahaha C9 is officially dumb as gently caress http://www.thescoreesports.com/lol/news/8489?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Wait you have to be a resident of a region for FOUR YEARS to not count as an import? Nevermind the fact that most pro careers aren't that long I guess.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

It was a good idea, but they got hosed over on the import rule changing after their plan was already in motion. There's no way rush enjoyed playing in the challenger scene after being such a good player on impulse last year and c9 last split. also he seems like he enjoys playing solo queue so 15-30 minute queue times probably aren't very fun for him to work on his game

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
China remaking SSW was probably the only way to prevent SKT from winning the next 3 world championships, too lmao

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Firebert posted:

China remaking SSW was probably the only way to prevent SKT from winning the next 3 world championships, too lmao

i'd kill to see something like looper / dandy / rookie / uzi / mata

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

The velveteen touch of a dandy fop

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I love how people on reddit are going on about the rule being designed specifically to benefit TSM.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
hahahahahahahahaha gently caress you c9

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

It's pretty hosed up that bjerg gets grandfathered in but the latest batch doesn't. Why not just make a new rule that says 2/5ths must be natural region members or something? What happens in 2 years if we run into the same situation. The point of the rule change is to make it unobtainable, so why have it?

Ghetto SuperCzar fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 15, 2016

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

It's pretty hosed up that bjerg gets grandfathered in but the latest batch doesn't. Why not just make a new rule that says 2/5ths must be natural region members or something? What happens in 2 years if we run into the same situation. The point of the rule change is to make it unobtainable, so why have it?

Yeah I get that people are all 'rah rah gently caress C9' but the precedent set by prior changes to the residence rules was that imports who were/would have been present/eligible under the old rules got grandfathered in. This time around, they don't. I get why they didn't do that (the top-end in China was literally going to become a bunch of 5 Korean teams), but it really messed very badly with teams that had made good-faith efforts to play within the residence rules like C9 did here.

That being said, I'm glad that Contractz found a home and I'm excited to see what he can do with an experienced group around him. He was already really good, so with coaching he should be even better.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Four years? Lmbo

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

kirtar posted:

I love how people on reddit are going on about the rule being designed specifically to benefit TSM.

Well you see, TSM, the team with one import, is taking advantage of the fact that something osmething, and I like C9, so yeah. It seems pretty obvious this is biased.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Why is anyone grandfathered in? Look at football in the world cup: you literally have to make a choice and stick with it for your whole life. Recently Diego Costa was kind of poo poo on because he has dual citizenship and made the choice to play for Spain which pissed off a lot of Brazilians.

Either let teams get whoever they want or actually have restrictions.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I am not really following that argument.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Hahaha that the pentakill steal made it on primetime league

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Either let the teams get who they want, or have restrictions. But not the restrictions they have. Different restrictions, based on soccer I guess.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

All of the less than 20 players in the entire world who are "grandfathered in" just have different declared regions now. So it's not like you could even import them elsewhere for an advantage.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

It would be sick if bjerg came back to Europe and took up an import slot and demanded to be paid in United States dollars baby.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Getting paid in USD is an unfair advantage, I think it should be like in cricket, where you get paid in confetti to swing a baseball bat made by an idiot at tennis balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Its not "TSM IS BENEFITING" it is that they set a different precedent last time they made rules and are going a different path this time.

The residency thing is dumb. If you don't want players to get residency, then just put a straight cap on teams. Doubling it because some players are about to get it is extremely bad faith.

• Locked thread