Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Justin Tyme posted:

head of marketing.... big marketing event.... isn't dev so can't present... but head of marketing.... marketing event.... at e3..... but too busy to not go do marketing but not so busy you can send head of marketing to marketing event but can't market :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

they cannot accept any wrongdoing or they have to question the whole thing - and most of them have probably already accepted the new tos, also shilllllllllsssss everywheree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

dude considering the mental gymnastics going on for worse conduct, this would barely constitute as flexing

Oooh, I get that. I just find it amusing as hell that they can't stick to their word about anything at all. Even not doing a thing.

Is it possible for them to not lie?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Nation posted:

they cannot accept any wrongdoing or they have to question the whole thing - and most of them have probably already accepted the new tos, also shilllllllllsssss everywheree

Yeah that's pretty loving blatant so it's gotta be some sort of mental blocking/coping, like there is no possible way to explain it without acknowledging SQ42 is nowhere near playable otherwise they'd just have someone play through a mission for a bit like... you know, COD did. It would take what, like 10 minutes to add in a black screen fade in/fade out trigger to a level? Just run a map through the console/dev tools, add in a box trigger at the end of the demonstration to fade the screen to black, it boggles the mind....

(the reason they didn't/don't do this is because SQ42 is a complete mess in development hell)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Bmac32 posted:

Oooh, I get that. I just find it amusing as hell that they can't stick to their word about anything at all. Even not doing a thing.

i too am happy riding the laffo train from station to station. it never ends!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Deedrix posted:

It's genric, sorry guys.

reroll
crowfall
shroud of the avatar
All have similar ToS's

https://www.google.com/search?q=agr...chrome&ie=UTF-8

Quality products all around!

Bmac32 posted:

But they are not lying. I mean, the sky does look green to them, and the sun is cold. It's not a lie if you truly, truly believe.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 15, 2016

Deedrix
Jun 6, 2016

"Give me money and I'll give you shit in return."
CIG ToS

http://www.vrfocus.com/2016/06/elite-dangerous-devs-frontier-developments-partner-with-joystick-makers-thrustmaster/

:captainpop:

Deedrix fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 15, 2016

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

I'd like to remind everyone that this gif exists.

You may need it.
The real hero.

In the same league as Kayak and Kitsa.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Never forget this one:

Hat tip: Tippis

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

What happened to the MadCatz and Star Citizen Shitck?

Deedrix
Jun 6, 2016

"Give me money and I'll give you shit in return."
CIG ToS

no_recall posted:

What happened to the MadCatz and Star Citizen Shitck?

Most likely

http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/8/10939752/mad-catz-executive-board-changes-rock-band-4-earnings

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So does that mean that Star Citizen is literally a mile wide but an inch deep?

Pretty loving ironic considering what they think of Elite: Dangerous.

It was, until they took 3 days to turn off the water plane, now it's just a waste of space :smug:

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Justin Tyme posted:

head of marketing.... big marketing event.... isn't dev so can't present... but head of marketing.... marketing event.... at e3..... but too busy to not go do marketing but not so busy you can send head of marketing to marketing event but can't market :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

i dont know how this industry works, it takes weeks tio preapre to pklay througih a wipda verticleklj slciej kdlfjadlfksdljfkkalsdjfasd

Reddit yesterday: It's stupid to go to E3 it's just a big marketing pow wow anyways, and CIG doesn't need to market SC at all.

Reddit today: Of course the VP OF MARKETING would go to have meetings with big name companies for cross promotional and marketing purposes!!! Idiot!

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Xaerael posted:

"Meetings" at E3. CIG buyout imminent.

"Meetings" at E3. aka CIG tracking down the AMD CEO at the PCGames Show and asking her to stop pushing for a demo.

redwalrus fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 13, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

I looked up their last conference call out of curiosity a week or so ago. They were talking rather boldly about the prospects of the CIG partnership. Posted some of the transcripts on Discord.

quote:

Edward Ericsson
Okay. Do you have the date for the Star Citizen controllers?

Karen McGinnis
Yeah, the Star Citizen so that's more around the Star Citizen date and they will actually be doing a lot of the marketing for the hardware that we're doing that's licensed Star Citizen and so that’s going to be closer out to the holiday, but I don't know the exact date.

"Fortunately Squadron 42 sees release Q4 of this year and my gut says Star Citizen is done Q4 of 2017! (My gut is rarely wrong about these things!)" -- RSI Forums

G0RF fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 15, 2016

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

So this post got me thinking about this RSI article:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/13951-Flight-Model-And-Input-Controls

Where they talk about how each ship will have an advanced PID flight control system. Not as in they, the devs, will do some PID napkin calculations and use those to set up ship steering parameters.
As in the game holds the ship, and the in-game ship has a PID flight control system that reads user flight control input, calculates desired vs actual state, adds to an accumulated error, and calculates required forces and torques.
Once your in-game ship does these calculations, it analyzes the mass distribution and thruster placement on your ship (talking into account any lost/damaged wings, thrusters, etc.), then goes through a priority list (main forward thrust, p/r/y, lateral movement) assigning power outputs.
Then your ship simulates those power delegations and sends power to thrusters/reaction wheels. Then it simulates those things making the ship move, then simulates that being a little off, then checks desired vs actual output again.

They honestly thought this would be a thing they could do. Hypothetically they could create a generic PID system that they could plug in to ships as they built them. But why the gently caress would you waste cpu cycles doing this poo poo in real time for every ship? "Quick, simulate that the physics are a bit off, then calculate what it would take to correct for that." I get that the broken engine fixing mini game and whatnot might sound fun, but honestly, a loving PID controller that no one will notice is present until they check this game's CPU consumption?

PID is only necessary for real life physical objects. Because in real life things don't respond exactly as you'd like, so you need to monitor output and adjust input.
Imagine if a game gave characters cameras, then had the cameras actually simulate anti shake technology and red eye reduction. Shaky hands and red eye are real world problems that only exist in game if they're put in game. Why would you put them in game just to simulate correcting them in game?

Edit: tldr
Let's up the fidelity by making our physics imperfect, then simulate simulating corrections to the problem.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Junk Puncher posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/13951-Flight-Model-And-Input-Controls

Why would you put them in game just to simulate correcting them in game?

Cause CR knows all about game development. Everything must be real and immersive and fideliteous.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

G0RF posted:

I looked up their last conference call out of curiosity a week or so ago. They were talking rather boldly about the prospects of the CIG partnership. Posted some of the transcripts on Discord.

"Fortunately Squadron 42 sees release Q4 of this year and my gut says Star Citizen is done Q4 of 2017! (My gut is rarely wrong about these things!)" -- RSI Forums

Lol if they're hedging their bets on making money from the lovely crossbranded peripherals releasing this year around Christmas, I wonder just how hosed their planning would be when SC gets canned or significantly pushed back.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Streetroller posted:

It really has and had nothing to do with Goons, or Derek.
I'm just not being an idiot anymore.

He posts on forums.somethingawful.com in Derek Smart's House of Star Citizen Obsessive Insanity.

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.

Justin Tyme posted:

Lol if they're hedging their bets on making money from the lovely crossbranded peripherals releasing this year around Christmas, I wonder just how hosed their planning would be when SC gets canned or significantly pushed back.

And let's not forget: The ships in SC are best controlled via mouse. No signs of a change to that.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Madcats are OK products but they have a real skill at hitching their products to games that never take off, like Titanfall or a Rock Band game in 2016.

Thrustmaster joysticks are exceptional.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

fnox posted:

I like how Parpy Oldman is supposed to have a cloth uniform, but since the geometry is entirely smooth it looks like its literally made out of a plastic mold he's just sticking his head out of.

Please do not make fun of the fidelity. It's the only bit of the game that's finished and Chris will say redo it.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Streetroller posted:

I'm not really looking at it from the "Goon" perspective honestly. I'm just a really busy person IRL.
I dropped money on it, was sold on something... by a specific date... and didn't get it.

I wasn't really paying much attention to it, and then really started to. Every single loving video was just puff pieces and content that didn't loving matter.
I would ask myself "Why is there an art team modelling clothing when ships I paid hundreds for still aren't done"

My eyebrow shot up, started looking into it - trying *really* hard to give the project the benefit of doubt.

Then the customer support labels dropped, and the plagiarism, stuff that can't just be reasoned away.
I knew right then, I was holding a $3000 dollar turd. I felt like a complete loving idiot.
It doesn't even remotely resemble what I pledged for anymore.

My opinion of CIG is that they probably think they'd make more money as a studio developing a game rather than one who's developed one.
I see where it's going. Any company that pushes "shopping" and character customization this hard so soon is gunning to monetize it.
I imagine they're start selling clothing options and hair styles next, for a small fee of $1-5 dollars a piece. That's my "prediction"

It really has and had nothing to do with Goons, or Derek.
I'm just not being an idiot anymore.

Full disclosure: Everyone here is still an idiot, the big difference is that we're not happy giving our money to an even bigger idiot :D

And you're right it's not a "goon" perspective, it's just the perspective of someone with the sort of healthy scepticism that any normal person should have when someone who's not produced anything worthwhile in the last 15 years comes to you asking for thousands of dollars to make all your video game dreams come true. The only reason it's so prevalent on here is that it's such a loving funny disaster that it draws us in, if CR could fail in a more boring we wouldn't even care, but it's just so wonderful to watch.

Glad you've become a sceptic about this project, you now get to enjoy the wonderful position the rest of us have found ourselves in: If CR fails as he appears to be trying so hard to do, we get to laugh and joke about it. If he some how succeeds, we have the option to just buy the game at release and enjoy it with everyone else.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

TTerrible posted:

He posts on forums.somethingawful.com in Derek Smart's House of Star Citizen Obsessive Insanity.

I posted here because the CIG reddit was mocking you and ironically found it to be a much more centered community...
gently caress it. Fine, you've swayed me. I'm a big loving Goon, I was just too afraid and Goonaphobic before to admit it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Streetroller posted:

I posted here because the CIG reddit was mocking you and ironically found it to be a much more centered community...
gently caress it. Fine, you've swayed me. I'm a big loving Goon, I was just too afraid and Goonaphobic before to admit it.

Welcome goonbrother. The pledging to Professor Smart is scheduled for midnight.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Streetroller posted:

I like seeing people argue saying that CIG's ToS is no different than any other gaming company.

Putting aside the legality of the fact that every other ToS refund policy begins when you RECEIVE a product versus when you PAY for a product, let's compare Terms with a company that won "Worst company of the year" TWICE --- Electronic Arts!
This is just what I could find.

Agreement to terms

"By looking at these terms, you're agreeing to them"

"We may make changes to these terms, but you only agree by expressing clicking 'I Agree'"
Dispute Resolution By Binding Arbitration

"Go gently caress yourself"

"Feel free to take us to court"

"I'm too lazy, you come here"

"If you're in the US, we're happy to accommodate you."

"We're coming after you if you try to gently caress with us, don't you dare"

"If you win, we make it worth your while and fire the jackass that screwed up. You don't even have to pay our attorneys, that's how confident we are."

Refunds

"Lol, no"

"You get a refund as long you don't try to claim we owe millions, let's be reasonable"

TOS Violations

"We can literally close your account and not refund you.... For whatever the gently caress we want!"

"We'll close your account if you try to steal information or break laws, we can't allow that poo poo. We also value our customers, so don't gently caress with them either. If we do close the account, you may still be able to get a refund, because that's covered under a different section. Look it up."

Just a few I could find, I'm sure there are more.

Slam dunk post, here it is on another page.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Deedrix posted:

It's genric, sorry guys.

reroll
crowfall
shroud of the avatar
All have similar ToS's

https://www.google.com/search?q=agr...chrome&ie=UTF-8

Reroll went bust I think and could have lifted the TOS from somewhere else.

http://www.turbulent.ca/our-portfolio/308-warhammer-40-000-eternal-crusade Turbulent provided the infrastructure for Behaviour Interactive’s new Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade website. Crowfall & shroud of the avatar were both plugged on RSI website, star citizen kickstarter was hosted at richard garriotts' offices (shroud of the avatar) in Austin.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14579-Note-From-The-Chairman-Crowfall-Descent
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12951-Back-SotA-Get-A-Crossbow-In-Star-Citizen

Turbulent & Behaviour are contractors working on Star Citizen.

http://www.pcgamer.com/crowfall-preview-an-mmo-you-can-win-again-and-again/ David Swofford is involved with crowfall
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=26862 David Swofford is involved with shroud of the avatar

David Swofford is Communications Director at CIG.

A media piece a couple of years ago spoke about CIG & Turbulent putting together a service to sell to other game companies to kickstart projects, the TOS might be part of that. Not sure I remember what the piece looked like now but it's mentioned in one of the old threads.

http://crowdfunding.cmf-fmc.ca/case_studies/star-citizen

quote:

Is that to say that this platform would generate the same level of success in the case of any other project? Probably not, because the exceptional Star Citizen project was spearheaded by a person whose credibility in the field is beyond reproach. The platform alone, without the buzz generated by the initial campaign on Kickstarter or the project creators’ ability to use a continuous flow of news and information to focus attention on the project, could have ended up being nothing more than a hollow shell.

However, project leads and crowdfunding platforms themselves can certainly use this case study to learn how to feed and manage their campaigns more effectively. Further integrating the funding platform within the project’s platform represents a logical evolution for crowdfunding and will without a doubt become an increasingly important metric that future project leads will need to take into consideration.

Furthering the integration and specialization of crowdfunding tools and platforms is a sign that this area of activity is evolving and that it should continue to evolve at an increasingly rapid pace. The number of available platforms continues to increase globally, but an increasing number of new platforms are designed for specific sectoral or geographical markets. We may also witness the appearance of an increasing number of “white label” platforms, i.e., platforms that tend to disappear into the background to allow all of the attention to be focussed on the project itself. In this regard, Star Citizen is possibly the most accomplished project to date.

We thank Marc Beaudet and Benoît Beauséjour of Turbulent for having accepted to answer our questions.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/crowfall-preview-an-mmo-you-can-win-again-and-again/ David Swofford is involved with crowfall
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=26862 David Swofford is involved with shroud of the avatar

This is good.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Junk Puncher posted:

Where they talk about how each ship will have an advanced PID flight control system. Not as in they, the devs, will do some PID napkin calculations and use those to set up ship steering parameters.
As in the game holds the ship, and the in-game ship has a PID flight control system that reads user flight control input, calculates desired vs actual state, adds to an accumulated error, and calculates required forces and torques.
Once your in-game ship does these calculations, it analyzes the mass distribution and thruster placement on your ship (talking into account any lost/damaged wings, thrusters, etc.), then goes through a priority list (main forward thrust, p/r/y, lateral movement) assigning power outputs.
Then your ship simulates those power delegations and sends power to thrusters/reaction wheels. Then it simulates those things making the ship move, then simulates that being a little off, then checks desired vs actual output again.

They honestly thought this would be a thing they could do. Hypothetically they could create a generic PID system that they could plug in to ships as they built them. But why the gently caress would you waste cpu cycles doing this poo poo in real time for every ship? "Quick, simulate that the physics are a bit off, then calculate what it would take to correct for that." I get that the broken engine fixing mini game and whatnot might sound fun, but honestly, a loving PID controller that no one will notice is present until they check this game's CPU consumption?

PID is only necessary for real life physical objects. Because in real life things don't respond exactly as you'd like, so you need to monitor output and adjust input.
Imagine if a game gave characters cameras, then had the cameras actually simulate anti shake technology and red eye reduction. Shaky hands and red eye are real world problems that only exist in game if they're put in game. Why would you put them in game just to simulate correcting them in game?

Edit: tldr
Let's up the fidelity by making our physics imperfect, then simulate simulating corrections to the problem.

Do we know if the PID controller algorithms are actually working in the game? I mean judging by the borked physics and balsa wood you can see in AC and the PU (and looking back to all the issues to date with flight physics, cutlass issues etc) I suspect the fideliteh in this area has been completely dropped or cheated to death too. BFCSSE, Best loving Cheat Space Sim Ever.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 15, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Streetroller posted:

There's a process to follow here, you don't see it much anymore but it used to happened a lot. You'd realise you'd been conned by CIG, you'd get your money back then you'd post what you bought with the money, then you'd sit back shitpost and enjoy the ongoing drama.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mr. Roberts, you have the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are you so popular?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Streetroller posted:

"Goon" literally just means someone who posts on these forums so yeah, sorry but you're branded for life.

If you've not done so already I certainly suggest reading other threads on here about other games or topics you're interested in - this thread is pretty unusual in the level of goon tribalism to be honest. Most threads have a variety of opinions and discussions and a huge number of video game threads have actual developers taking part. I mean technically this thread also has developers taking part but it's not really the same :)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hell the only reason said tribalism exists is because there's an entire community out there that's made us into some kind of bogeyman because we make fun of a failing developer they backed.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I like this thread, chock full of COD fear https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4o1qtx/lets_talk_about_call_of_duty/

Imagine being afraid of a game because it will make your game look bad, instead of being happy you have another game to play. :sad:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Inkel posted:

So ideate posted this on discord..

It looks like CIG made it to E3 afterall..
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/742853960927563776

Could we get a screenie? Some of us just got blocked from Sandi's feed. (GO ME!)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Hell the only reason said tribalism exists is because there's an entire community out there that's made us into some kind of bogeyman because we make fun of a failing developer they backed.

Yeah, I mean everyone loves playing the bad guy sometimes so we embrace this sort of thing when it happens, but we end up being like this because people say we're like this and we just run with it

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SelenicMartian posted:

I spy something beginning with Un...

Quebec sounds like a shithole.

But the poutine is so loving goooooood

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Samizdata posted:

Could we get a screenie? Some of us just got blocked from Sandi's feed. (GO ME!)
Just log out.
There was a pic earlier, but have another

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

Sandi going to E3 isn't that big of a surprise, when you understand the mentality behind the players at CIG. When a small-time company has a CEO who thinks he's big-time poo poo, you see this type of behavior. Eschewing the popular venues of the "commoners" while making sure you're very visible in a more subtle way. Meetings, drinks after hours, etc. giving the illusion that you're so important that not only do you not need to show anything on the showroom floor with the rest of the publishing plebes, but you in fact have "connections" and are making behind the scenes deals and poo poo, acting as the very bedrock of the industry.

She made absolutely loving sure to say "afternoon meetings" and carefully framed that picture so that E3 was prominently displayed. This is internet-popularity-contest level psychology that lines up 100% with Sandra's stupidity in that area.

Not only that, but they only went once those meddling goons (:ffg:) went and stirred up those high maintenance snowflake (:ffg:) backers and they realized the cost of attending was cheaper than the pool of cash that would be forfeited by the ever growing mass of malcontent backers running out of patience.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

Just log out.
There was a pic earlier, but have another

I, too, pick large landmarks in public areas as meeting places in case my elderly mother gets lost.

AP fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

AP posted:

Reroll went bust I think and could have lifted the TOS from somewhere else.

http://www.turbulent.ca/our-portfolio/308-warhammer-40-000-eternal-crusade Turbulent provided the infrastructure for Behaviour Interactive’s new Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade website. Crowfall & shroud of the avatar were both plugged on RSI website, star citizen kickstarter was hosted at richard garriotts' offices (shroud of the avatar) in Austin.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14579-Note-From-The-Chairman-Crowfall-Descent
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12951-Back-SotA-Get-A-Crossbow-In-Star-Citizen

Turbulent & Behaviour are contractors working on Star Citizen.

A media piece a couple of years ago spoke about CIG & Turbulent putting together a service to sell to other game companies to kickstart projects, the TOS might be part of that. Not sure I remember what the piece looked like now but it's mentioned in one of the old threads.

http://crowdfunding.cmf-fmc.ca/case_studies/star-citizen

Wouldn't that imply that backer funds are essentially paying for this platform; which isn't this a pretty clear misappropriation of funds? Being that the same lawyer is writing all the same terms for all companies.
Sounds as if they're planning on competing with Kickstarter or something, it's just very strange.

• Locked thread