Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

thetruegentleman posted:

Well, crafting seems pointlessly convoluted; what a surprise!

Convoluted, yes. Pointlessly is subjective though. I've always been a fan of convoluted, complex, and just plain weird crafting systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And hey, you can do silly things like push intrinsic effects onto another equipment piece. Occasionally useful! You can also push out your weapon attack range to hit the entire screen! Sometimes to game-crashing effect!

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

And hey, you can do silly things like push intrinsic effects onto another equipment piece. Occasionally useful! You can also push out your weapon attack range to hit the entire screen! Sometimes to game-crashing effect!

See, this is why I only covered the basics.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Truthkeeper posted:

Porcoline sells bread to teach me recipes, a limited number (1-6) each day. Most loaves will teach one recipe each, but occasionally you’ll get a Bread+ that teaches 2. And some Breads+ you find as treasure can teach more.

Hey love the LP so far, been lurking cause it's one of my fav games and I really enjoy it!

Sorry to nitpick but this isn't quite correct. See you get multiple recipes from higher level Bread which Porco sometimes sells to you saying something like "this one's super well made." However, although bread plus will give you multiple recipes, it is also the only way to unlock the highest level crafting recipes- the ones that if you try to create them just knowing the ingredients the game will toss up a ridiculous number of RP that you don't have.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've played a lot of games, with a lot of bonkers crafting systems, but RF4's high-end nonsense may well rank among the worst. Best? Most ridiculous. That hidden-rarity mechanic is a nightmare.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

stone cold posted:

However, although bread plus will give you multiple recipes, it is also the only way to unlock the highest level crafting recipes- the ones that if you try to create them just knowing the ingredients the game will toss up a ridiculous number of RP that you don't have.

I see your nitpick and raise you a nitpick of your nitpick. The Bread+ sold by Porcoline, sadly, does not teach the high level (skill level 80+) cooking recipes. Those can only be learned from the Bread+ dropped by Sharance Maze bosses, or rarely from treasure chests in said maze and Rune Prana. This is what we call a total bullshit mechanic that I hate.

Also, I generally skip that particular bit of bullshit in favor of making level 10 Relax Tea, which gives an absolutely absurd boost to max RP, and is usually enough to let me craft anything without a recipe.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you've crafted something once by that method, is its recipe considered learned, thus dropping its RP cost to normal levels?

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Truthkeeper posted:

I see your nitpick and raise you a nitpick of your nitpick. The Bread+ sold by Porcoline, sadly, does not teach the high level (skill level 80+) cooking recipes. Those can only be learned from the Bread+ dropped by Sharance Maze bosses, or rarely from treasure chests in said maze and Rune Prana. This is what we call a total bullshit mechanic that I hate.

Also, I generally skip that particular bit of bullshit in favor of making level 10 Relax Tea, which gives an absolutely absurd boost to max RP, and is usually enough to let me craft anything without a recipe.

I see your Nitpicks and raise you one more! Bread+ is only dropped by END-bosses of Sharance maze. The easiest maze is still 10 floors long and Bread-types are random. Even with late game tricks, It took me a few weeks to get all the Bread+ recipes.

I prefer lvl10 Formulade for crafting but I started playing with that after beating the game.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

YggiDee posted:

I've played a lot of games, with a lot of bonkers crafting systems, but RF4's high-end nonsense may well rank among the worst. Best? Most ridiculous. That hidden-rarity mechanic is a nightmare.

Even after playing many hundreds of hours in this game, I STILL haven't found everything to find out. It's really :suicide: trying to 100% this game.

I think the worst part is that although it does explain some things to you, there are a lot of features that are not explained at all, or even have expected you to play Rune Factory 3, because hey, we already explained this stuff last game!

:negative:

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Not gonna lie, I would not be able to make heads or tails of this crafting system if I wasn't leeching off the hundreds of man-hours the GameFAQs RF4 board users have put into spading this stuff out.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Foreboding Recording of Ominous Message

So, now that we’ve talked about complicated game mechanics (crafting), let’s talk about complicated game mechanics (raising monsters). Your monsters live on a steady diet of fodder. You can give them a treat (which I believe I mentioned doesn’t even have to be an edible item) each day, increasing their affection. Poorly understood mechanics indicate that giving monsters upgrade items will impart those upgrades onto your monster (sadly this doesn’t seem to work with stat boosts, but status affliction chance, critical hit boost, and others seem to work surprisingly well). Also, cooked dishes. I understand this even less, but the basic idea is that certain cooked dishes will increase your monsters’ resistance to various status ailments or give stat boosts. Any of this has to be done by giving them a lot of items over time, which is why I don’t really understand it. I generally leave my monsters alone unless I’m actively taking them into combat or putting them to work, working monsters get a steady diet of food or health potions to keep them up. I had plenty of pickled turnips, so I decided everybody gets some today. Even Lancelot, who is still probably gonna get shanked back to the forest of beginnings so I can replace him with something better.

Also, I got a license for additional cooking stations. Which I still can’t afford to buy, but the prince points were burning a hole in my pocket.

Booooring.

I’m inclined to agree. Fishing is dull, and they nerfed it’s incredible moneymaking potential from RF3.

Exploring the rest of the accessible map is what I’m actually gonna do today, long diatribes about diets and Venti’s dislike for fishing aside.

The chicken looking thing I enslaved is called a Cluckadoodle. There are bigger ones called Mamadoodles that live in this cave. How big, you might ask? Too big and too strong and I’m an idiot who lost the screenshot showing them. The point is that this cave is full of giant killer chickens. You risk the wrath of the giant killer chickens because, for no apparent reason, a bunch of fodder spawns here each day. Also, the Mamadoodle’s drop a very nice upgrade item that adds a buttload of Attack. I might consider coming back here when my forging skill is high enough that I could actually use it.

Finding a hidden exit behind a tree took me to this enclosed area where I found the fist rune ability Uppercut. It does exactly what it sounds like. It’s main use is that it stuns the target, setting them up for a suplex.

That’s just about enough dicking around. I’m not certain I can actually take the Water Ruins, but I can at least poke around a bit. With Forte to protect me. I’ll even give Lancelot a chance to prove himself. Spoiler: He didn’t.

As Venti said, this is definitely where the voices are coming from.

That stone tablet... There's something written on it. Hmmmm... I've never seen these letters before....?

Art would have been… mildly inconvenienced by a monster sneaking up behind him, except Doug, filthy beardless one that he is, snuck up and shanked the goblin.

D-Doug! What are you doing here?

I could ask you the same thing! This place is crawling with monsters! Spacing out like that could get you killed!

I guess it’s nice to know someone cares. Ventuswill only knows where Forte and Lancelot ran off to. Probably having illicit human-orc sex. Yeah, I’m sure that’s it.

Haha... I guess I was wrapped up in trying to figure out what's written here. Didn't even notice!

Art, you have all the herps and derps this world has to offer.

Yeah, and that's what I'm worried about. Pay attention to your surroundings! Seriously!

...Thank you.

Man, I'm a nervous wreck when I'm around you. Here. Take this. You might need it.

My first (real) spell! Fireball is a fairly useful little spell that does exactly what it sounds like. It shoots a little ball of fire directly straight from you, and you can have up to three on screen at a time. Insert your own Dracula joke here.

Thanks!

No problem. To use it, you've got to equip it in the X button or Y button slot.

You can have two spells (or rune abilities) equipped at a time. Later you can unlock two more slots, used by holding R and pressing X or Y. Two is good enough for now, especially since I’m not playing a caster.

Got to be careful around here. Magic may be your only hope against certain foes. And that's assuming magic even has an effect. Some foes are like brick walls no matter what! You should hit up Bado's store and make sure you're equipped with the best stuff.

Filthy lying dwarf. Bado’s selection is poo poo, I can make better.

...Anyway, I suppose you're wondering what I'm doing here.

Huh?

Well...that's none of your business!

Thank you Tsundwarfe.

...?

A-anyway, never mind!

Not kidding either, Doug hits all the tsundere notes hard and keeps on going. I guess if you’re playing a girl and into that sort of thing, it could maybe be an attractive quality?

Meh, I don’t like Doug.

O-okay.

Um, uh, come to think of it... You...er... ...Are you familiar with the Rune Sphere?

Rune Sphere? Can't say I'm familiar with that term.

Right. I guess you did lose your memory. I should've figured.

Finally somebody who doesn’t expect answers from the amnesiac fake prince. After he asked, thus indicating he expected an answer. At least he didn’t need Art to remind him I guess.

What's this all about?

I'm just...looking for it. That's all. Nothing you need to concern yourself with. Anyway, I should go.
One more thing, though, before I leave. You'd better not be committed to that fool.

Look, Doug, I’m sure you’re a very attractive young man among your people, but Art doesn’t swing that way.

(That fool...?)

As soon as he teleports out, Forte comes running in with Lancelot. Illicit beasitality it is then.

So, you’d think maybe the stone tablet in an unknown language would be a big puzzle that would take effort to solve. Find a book or a translator or somebody to translate the tablet and learn how to progress?

Nope. It’s completely pointless, although you can come back much later (after you already know what’s going on here) with someone familiar with the language. File this away as something we’ll come back to later.

But wait! There’s another message on the back of the tablet!

"To everyone in the town."
"I'm very moved to know how you all felt about me back then."
"To be honest, I didn't think too highly of myself or the town at the time."
"But now I realize just how precious you all are. And how precious my own life is."
"Or maybe I shouldn't think of myself that way. Maybe it's vain, or egotistical."
"Oh, and please don't blame the king for this."
"He felt the same way as you."
"Thank you, everyone. Farewell."

That’s… ominous. Also confusing, but more on that later too.

And… that’s the end of this one, because some idiot lost his screenshots of the first foray into the ruins after this point. I’ll show off the whole dungeon when I go in to clear it properly.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 16, 2016

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Truthkeeper posted:

[imghttp://lpix.org/2478653/scr_80_TOP_RIGHT.png [/img]
You've got a broken image tag here.

Truthkeeper posted:

Well...that's none of your business!
This line has the wrong portrait.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
You missed a ] on an image in that post but I'm on my phone e and can't quote it well.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

My malformed and ill-treated BBCode should all be fixed now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord that back-of-the-tablet message is ominous. It reads like a suicide note.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

The Obligatory Monty Python Reference

On fishing contest days (there are three throughout the year, today’s is about catching the most fish), everybody carries a fishing pole with them. It’s a nice touch. Also, a point I think I missed mentioning before is that on any festival day, all the eligible ladies group up like this in the town square in the morning. In the afternoon, they leave and the bachelors group up on the opposite end of the square. It’s useful for giving out a bunch of gifts at once. I’ve been keeping a fairly steady trickle of flowers going, but I’m going to need a lot more, or possibly even focus on giving people their actual liked or favorite gifts.

The contest doesn’t officially begin until 11:00 AM. For most festivals, it doesn’t matter what time you compete, but this one is timed (you have to catch fish between 11 AM and 5 PM to qualify), so getting started as early as possible is recommended.

I dropped by the restaurant, where Porcoline chooses the oddest possible wording to tell me that I can buy a fridge from him. I didn’t do it this time, because he wants lumber, and I’m running short. Personally, I wouldn’t trust any refrigerator made of wood.

I made it back just as it’s time to get to fishing.

The one who catches the most fish before the announcement of the results will be the winner. Results will be announced between 17 and 18 hundred hours. If you're late, you will be disqualified, so please remember to be on time.

Our very own Your Majesty!

I so very rarely get the respect I deserve.

And so I traveled to the nearby lake (Dragon Lake, just west of the town’s residential district), and commenced fishing. Rune Factory fishing is a basic routine, you look for fish shadows in the water, cast your line so as to land in front of the fish (if you hit the fish it gets scared off), and wait for a bite. Fish will nibble at your bait 1-4 times before biting, and will always bite on the fifth nibble if they haven’t already. Garbage, including cans and boots, is sadly all too common.

One down. I don’t care for fishing in this game. It’s slow and unrewarding. With some exceptions, which I’ll note if I find one.

Xiao Pai and Lin Fa both caught 11 fish. Xiao Pai came in third, I’m curious how the tiebreaker worked.

I won, but by a very narrow margin. Gotta step it up next time.

My rewards include more cooking bread, a Protein, an iron shield I already have, and TOAST.

So how does one celebrate winning a less than particularly exciting contest?

By going burning all my RP grinding forging and going to bed. gently caress festivals that take all day.

I haven’t been showing off Clorica’s attempts to wake me up each morning. It’s impressive that this girl who can barely stay awake five minutes at a stretch gets up and ready for work early enough to get me up at 6AM. It’s also funny because she falls asleep immediately after saying that.

I’ve also neglected showing off the farm, because nothing is really changing there (except that I remembered that pink turnips are actually very profitable in spring, thanks to the sped-up growth). These are radishes (daikon, which is why they’re white, pointy, and large enough to make a sword out of). They’re quite possibly the shittiest early-crop. They neither grow fast nor sell highly, and you only get one per harvest. They can be turned into swords later, which I might show off because it amuses me.

As I so often do, I popped over to visit Venti after finishing my farm chores. She gave me a bit of a pep talk.

What are you afraid of? You were chosen by me. Take pride in that! You have every right to do so.

I’m still kinda concerned about the King executing me for impersonating royalty.

This is one of the little touches I like in this game. The general store (and other shops) opens at 8AM. But if you’re friends with Blossom and/or Doug, you can pop in before they open. In previous games, this was also true, but you couldn’t do business until opening time. Here, you can do business anytime Blossom or Doug Is in the store area (and I’ve often taken advantage of this by recruiting Doug into my party as soon as he wakes up, dragging him down here, shopping, then ditching him). By catching Blossom as soon as she comes downstairs, I can buy my seeds a good hour earlier.

I also knocked out more requests.

Today’s project: Lancel is not pining! He's passed on! This orc is no more! He has ceased to be! He's expired and gone to meet his maker! He's a stiff! Bereft of life, he rests in peace! If I hadn't nailed him to the trough he'd be pushing up daisies! His metabolic processes are now history! He's off the twig! He's kicked the bucket, He's shuffled off this mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible! This is an ex-orc!

Cue ten minutes of throwing garbage at beetles.

So if I named the orc I hated after Lancelot, generally the most well-known of Arthur’s knights, then what did I name my new buddy after? And was it before or after I decided to limit Python jokes to this update?

Brave brave brave, brave Sir Robin.

Tamed monsters have stat blocks identical to human companions. They can’t equip anything, but they have insane stat growth. Any companion (human or monster) in your party will gain experience at the same rate you do. Monsters not in your party will gain 50% of your experience, while vaillagers won’t get any.

I briefly touched on this earlier, but you have full control over your human companions’ gear. They’ll equip any piece of equipment you give them, althought they’ll only display hats (this can get very silly looking very easily). I’ll likely keep Forte around for the Water Ruins, but I’ll take requests for other villagers people want to see in action.

Yes, Robin is using me to extend his headbutt range there.

He also stands clear while I show off my spectacular-looking (but not particularly powerful) fireball spell. Generally speaking, fire spells make increasingly large balls that travel straight and slow. Water shoots increasing numbers of lasers in increasing directions at high speed. Earth is fast but short range. Wind is also fast, but travels in random directions. Dark is both slow and random, but hits hard. Light makes shields in front of or around you. I generally pick one or two elements and keep them on standby for when I fight something immune to physical (or whatever element my current weapon happens to be).

So, I still have a dozen fish left from the fishing contest. And they don’t stack, so I need to clear these things out of my inventory. What does one do with fish in this game?

Sashimi, and lots of it. It sells slightly higher, and is useful for restoring HP and RP in my ongoing quest to grind forging (and crafting, once I get a crafting table).

How do I quickly, efficiently, and cheaply grind forging, you might ask?

Broadsword: 1 iron. Turnip seed: 10g. I can upgrade each sword 9 times, it takes around a dozen upgrades to get a point. This will slow down as my skill increases, but will always be the best way to grind (but not the best way to skill up, more on that much, much later).

Brass Knuckles 2.0, now with super sleep inducing action. The name in blue means that I added additional items to the crafting recipe.

Why yes, I do have Ambrosia on farm now.

In order to make the town seem less dead (it was kind of a problem in earlier games), random NPCs with randomly generated names (adjective-name like Manly Troy here) will often show up. They serve little purpose except to make references to previous games or drop game hints. Tory here is probably talking about one of Porcoline’s many relatives. The Sainte-Coquille family has appeared in every RF game, and most of the men in the family do look just like Porcoline.

Another request to harvest radishes (which is why I planted more than 1) unlocked yam seeds. Yams aren’t special, except that, along with potatoes, they’re the ideal choice of crop if you don’t have any fertilizer, since they deplete the soil less. Unlike previous RF games (and main-series Harvest Moon), these do not regrow so rapidly that you spend half a season doing nothing but picking yams. Point of fact, they don’t regrow at all.

Another similar request unlocked Pom Pom Grass flowers. I’m pretty sure we call those dandelions, and they grow all over my yard all summer for free.

We now interrupt your regularly scheduled LP to bring you Margaret invading Art’s personal space to fix his bedhead. I’d like to introduce a vote on which girl or girls to pursue, but as they haven’t all appeared yet, I’m holding off. Instead, for now, I shall pursue all of them! And everybody else in town, because I really don’t want to have to mass-produce Love Potions again. That sucked hard.

Not gonna lie, the De-Fluffing festival is my favorite Spring festival, probably tying for my favorite in the game. More on that when we get to it.

One last request knocked out this update.

"Have you been in the Trophy Room before? You can get there by using the upper left stairs in your room."

There’re several requests that send you to the trophy room, I singled this one out for a reason. The RF fanart it contains is pretty nice, and has some amusing in-jokes, but we’re here today for this:

The one and only appearance of Venti’s human form. Based off the existence of this sprite (which was shown before the game’s release), people came up with the wildest theories about how you could go about marrying Venti. Rumor has it that it was intended content, but cut for time.

Kinda all over the place this time, lots of little things I wanted to show off. I won’t be heading to the Water Ruins in the next update, but I will in the one after that, swear to Terrable. No formal vote, but go ahead and let me know if you want to see any particular villagers in action in the future (Ventuswill and Volkanon aren’t available until the post-game, Doug isn’t available until later in the story, Blossom is never available. Anybody else should be fair game).

Also, totally going to start using Venti's human face for when she's Venti, and her dragon face for when she's LADY VENTUSWILL, THE DIVINE WIND. Should have thought of that sooner.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 27, 2016

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
They cut content for RF4 yet we have to bear with Harvest Moon and its' continual failure to implement the things people actually like, year in, year out. :negative:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Sheesh, if that's what she looks like I'm kinda glad Human Venti was mostly cut.

I can't decide if I like the crafting here better than in RF3. Maybe if I had a 3DS and a copy of this game I'd be able to pick a preference.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does Venti go human to secretly have fun at festivals or is that sprite genuinely cut content?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Human Venti actually appears in one town event, but it's an easter egg, and it's possible to miss it completely. The town event in question is Mood Reversal Medicine. That's the only other time it appears in the game. Funnily enough, I remember a lot of people that were thinking it was a big spoiler, when all it's used for is a gag. :v:

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Incidentally, Paint.net is a good program for doing the character avatar stuff. You can copy an existing avatar, paste it to the screenshot you want, and drag the pasted image's border(separate from the entire pasted image) to the head you want to frame, and then copy and save that as a new image.

Truthkeeper posted:

Tory here is probably talking about one of Porcoline’s many relatives.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Zagglezig posted:

Incidentally, Paint.net is a good program for doing the character avatar stuff. You can copy an existing avatar, paste it to the screenshot you want, and drag the pasted image's border(separate from the entire pasted image) to the head you want to frame, and then copy and save that as a new image.

That is more or less how I do it, except with an old copy of Photoshop.

And thank you for the heads up on my typo. I rely on you the readers to make up for my inability to proofread properly.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Truthkeeper posted:

Also, totally going to start using Venti's human face for when she's Venti, and her dragon face for when she's LADY VENTUSWILL, THE DIVINE WIND. Should have thought of that sooner.

It's been a while since I played, but I don't believe she does LADY VENTUSWILL too much in the rest of the game, does she? I know the last time she does it.

And I agree with you on fishing being one of my least liked things to do in this game. I don't know if I'm unlucky or not, but finding rare fish is an exercise in pain for me. Not as bad as end-game grinding for stone though... :smith:

Truthkeeper posted:

That’s just about enough dicking around. I’m not certain I can actually take the Water Ruins, but I can at least poke around a bit. With Forte to protect me. I’ll even give Lancelot a chance to prove himself. Spoiler: He didn’t.

I found in my experience Rune Factory 4 can be somewhat unforgiving whenever starting some dungeons with a difficulty spike.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

One last request sending me into my basement.

"...or too hard for you? You can confirm and adjust the game's difficulty level in the Trophy Room. Use the stairs in the upper left corner of your room to go there and take a look.

Looks like you've checked your difficulty level in the Trophy Room. Remember, you can return there whenever you'd like to adjust the difficulty of your experience. There are actually quite a few items of note in there. Check it out from time to time!

Yeah, sticking with hard mode.

The top half of the room contains the projector, to see the art gallery, the difficulty book, and a series of trophies for things like the first time you take a bath, first monster caught, first date, yadda yadda. The second shelf on the right, and the bottom half, contain awards for the various contest festivals. You can see here my silver trophy for coming in second in the bean toss and my gold for first in the fish catching.

Getting away from the box for a while, I ran into Barrett and had an amusing conversation.

Can I ask you something?

Sure. What is it?

Lizards don't come that big.

Hmm. So it's true that these folks live with a dragon. Do the folks here get along well with that dragon?

Yes, we do. Why do you ask?

...Nothing. I was just curious. Forget I asked.

...?

Barrett’s experience with dragons consists of hearing second-hand about Fiersome. He’s allowed to have problems believing in humans and dragons coexisting.

But enough about RF2 for now. A while back, Cattail Prophet mentioned fun with broken dialog flags?

Yeah, it happens. Who’s Dolly? We’ll get to that later.

So, in lieu of a fertilizer bin, I have to fertilize seasonal fields by hand. With withered grass. Plop one down on a 2x2 square, hit it with your hoe, and the soil health is restored a bit. How much? …I didn’t actually check, and I now I really want to know. Gonna look into that later.

So, there’s another festival coming up. A Wooly De-Fluffing Contest. And who does Volkanon expect to win?

See, it’s not just me. Even Volkanon thinks there’s nothing interesting about Doug except that he’s a dwarf.

So, what the hell is a Wooly De-Fluffing Contest?

Naturally, I’m taking the boxing gloves for this one.

So, in short, the object here is to beat the poo poo out of a giant sheep. Points per hit vary by weapon, slower weapons give more points with each hit. Fast weapons, like gloves, give fewer points. So it should all even out, right?

Frankly, you have the best chance of winning with whatever weapon you have the highest skill with, since you can then pull off combos to get more hits in faster.

As time passes, regular woolies are released into the square. They’re not worth as many points, but you can hit them and the big one at the same time. This gives bigger weapons a slight advantage.

And then in the last bit a second giant Wooly is released. Too late to get many points off of it.

Of course I got first place. In your filthy beardless face Doug!

I won a lovely battle-axe inferior to the weapons I can make, another Protein, a glass of fruit juice, and more cooking bread.

Arthur, your enthusiasm is at a 10. We need you around a 7.

And then I popped in the visit Venti. Possibly just to see how I like the human!Venti portrait for her, but also because I like this conversation.

Ah, Art. It's you. How fare your memories?

I still can't remember anything.

I see. Well, they are something that yet remains within you. They will find their way out someday. Trust in that and do not fret. Fretting will do you no good.

...Okay. Y'know, you're a really nice person, Venti.

Wh-what?! Hmph...! Praise will gain you no special favors!

Hee hee.

Harumph! Your presence makes a mess of everything.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

It's cute how you use joke weapons in the De-Fluffing Contest to not harm the Wooly.

Truthkeeper posted:

And then I popped in the visit Venti. Possibly just to see how I like the human!Venti portrait for her, but also because I like this conversation.

Ah, Art. It's you. How fare your memories?

I still can't remember anything.

I see. Well, they are something that yet remains within you. They will find their way out someday. Trust in that and do not fret. Fretting will do you no good.

...Okay. Y'know, you're a really nice person, Venti.

Wh-what?! Hmph...! Praise will gain you no special favors!

Hee hee.

Harumph! Your presence makes a mess of everything.

So THAT'S where that conversation is from. I must have missed this in my playtime.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Rastan Beeza posted:

So THAT'S where that conversation is from. I must have missed this in my playtime.

There are a few conversations along those lines, I like all of them. Honestly, I like the entirety of Lest Art and Venti's friendship, it has the most real warmth and life to it out of all of the canon-suggested pairings (compared to Raguna and Mist, Kyle and Mana, Micah and Shara (oddly, I liked Mist, but Raguna had the personality of a plank of wood, whereas Kyle and Micah were likable, but Mana and Shara were boring)). Art and Venti are both interesting and relatable characters, and their friendship probably works out better because she isn't a viable marriage candidate.

Although I would totally marry her in a heartbeat given half a chance.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 2, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Punching a giant sheep is a festival I can get behind.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I've always thought the animals of harvest moon (the plushies :kimchi:) are much cuter than woolies and other endemic animals. But that might have to do with spending an distressingly large amount of time fishing and not remembering much else bestiary wise.

Any excuse to beat up and/or wrassle monsters is good though.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Truthkeeper posted:

There are a few conversations along those lines, I like all of them. Honestly, I like the entirety of Lest Art and Venti's friendship, it has the most real warmth and life to it out of all of the canon-suggested pairings (compared to Raguna and Mist, Kyle and Mana, Micah and Shara (oddly, I liked Mist, but Raguna had the personality of a plank of wood, whereas Kyle and Micah were likable, but Mana and Shara were boring)). Art and Venti are both interesting and relatable characters, and their friendship probably works out better because she isn't a viable marriage candidate.

Although I would totally marry her in a heartbeat given half a chance.

The one time they decide -not- to push the "canon" marriage choice out of the first girl you meet, Ventuswill turns out to be pretty great and likable. I think their banter and Venti's general character help to keep her and their relationship entertaining, as well as the fact that "dragon god" is a pretty cool idea for a villager in general. There are other things, but they'll come by when they happen.

I probably would too, if her human form was older and not from a lame fanservice bordering-on-doujin manga, that would be much better too.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Rastan Beeza posted:

I probably would too, if her human form was older and not from a lame fanservice bordering-on-doujin manga, that would be much better too.

:confused:

Isn't her human form already in game, albeit unused? What did the manga do?

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

thetruegentleman posted:

:confused:

Isn't her human form already in game, albeit unused? What did the manga do?

Well, the manga came up with Venti's human form, she uses it the whole way through, supposedly the artist had a hard time drawing Ventuswill as a dragon.

And well, you know how Art fell on top of Ventuswill?

He still does so, only she is in human form, and he lands face first in her crotch. :v: Really...

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
..of course he does :japan:. Kind of weird the human version is somehow separate from the dragon version, seeing as how they're standing next to each other.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

For Ventuswill’s Sake, Is He Still On Namek? It’s Been Like Twelve Episodes Already!

This ended up being a very long update, mostly consisting of events. So, very little of me actually doing anything.

I don’t put in nearly enough of my casual conversations with the villagers. This game is the best in the series (Rune Factory or Harvest Moon) to actually make these people seem like actual people. This conversation with Nancy amuses me a bit.

Antidote Potion, Para-Gone, Memory Bandages… Ah, sorry, not that one.

Wait, what was that you just brought out? I saw...some kind of dark red stain on it...

I think we’ll take our chances without your special bandages Nancy.

Also, characters have birthdays. This is mostly irrelevant, except that gifts are worth double on their birthday. Margaret likes fresh fruit.

And apples are easily farmed off Pomme-Pommes, a rather pathetic enemy that, oddly enough, looks like an apple.

Really? I had no idea, you should have told me!

Requests to kill a specific kind of monster appear every day, along with requests to ship certain items and give certain items to a given person. It gives you something to do if you can’t do the non-repeatable requests but haven’t hit your limit for the day yet. Having a boss as the bounty target is more unusual, but as I think we’ve established, Ambrosia is on daily farm now.

Much like Nancy, Jones also has broken dialogue referring to characters that don’t exist yet.

I also paid Porcoline a visit between updates. While visiting, I paid him an arm and a leg for an oven. What does one do with an oven that I couldn’t already do with my cutting board and empty counter, you might ask?

In the grand tradition of certain kinds of RPGs, I bought an absurd amount of flour…

And ground on bread. Then I used the bread to grind some more, because bread can be cooked again to make toast. Toast can’t be cooked any further, but it’s the best easy source of HP/RP healing I’m gonna have until I need tomato juice. By the time tomato juice is outdated, I’ll need much more sophisticated and expensive food.

Art, could I ask a favor of you?

What is it?

I'd like for you to deliver a message to Vishnal.

Sure. What should I tell him?

It's a most important message, you see. Be certain to tell it to him +passionately+. Say-- "The bucket has arrived!!" That is a VERY important message, don't you agree?

...+Passionately+. You cannot forget that part.

The cooking man himself! He has nothing to say on the subject of cooking toast (although any cooked dish is a liked gift for him), but instead, he gave me a quest. Vishnal asked him to order a bucket (because Porky has mad import/export connections), and it’s arrived. He’d like me to go tell Vishnal that the bucket is here, and to do so passionately.

I can do passionate. I’m not sure why I should, but if Porcoline says it’s important, then I’ll do it.

Um...I get the message, but why do I have to tell it to him passionately?

No reason.

You read my mind Art.

So it wasn’t hard to track down Vishnal. Here. In Porcoline’s own restaurant. Which he went back to at the same time as me.

That lazy fat sack of crap…

Passionately.

W-wow...you didn't have to say it quite so, uh, passionately.

Uh, sorry.

Erm, anyway. I'm glad to hear that the bucket is finally in. Though I'm afraid I'm not the one who needs it. Truth be told, it's Arthur who asked for it.

Really?

Yes. He asked me to help find one since he didn't have one of his own. I'm sure he'll be very happy to know it's in. Could you please go tell him?

Sure. I'll go tell Arthur for you.

Huh, imagine that. Vishnal asked Porcoline to get the bucket for Arthur. Funny old world. Guess I’ll go tell Arthur his bucket is here.

Still passionate…

It has? Excellent!

Excellent! I'm sure Kiel will be quite glad to hear it has arrived. He was the one who needed it, you see. Could you please let him know? He has been waiting anxiously.

Um...sure. I'll pass it along.

I wonder how one practices remaining stoic in the face of crazy people shouting passionately about buckets. Probably involves being hit with a bamboo rod a whole bunch. So, it turns out the bucket wasn’t for Arthur after all, but actually for Kiel! Oh what a twist! I’ll let him know his bucket is here.

Must… be… passionate…

Yikes! That was loud. Why did you shout like that?

Because I’m a passionate motherfucker.

Sorry...

Um, anyway... So it's in, huh? Forte will be so happy to hear that!

What? Forte?

Yeah! She was looking for one a little while ago. Could you go tell her? Thanks!

Not again...

...?

Huh, and now onto Forte. I never could have imagined that! Well, at least I’ll tell Forte her bucket is here and we can finish this up and do something exciting.

Like peep on women in the bath using Art’s godlike birds-eye view. That’s actually Margaret, Forte just left.

PASSIONATE!

…Art? ...Ahem. I'm sure Xiao Pai will be glad to hear the bucket she wanted has finally arrived. Could you please let her know?

*FALL*

Hmm?

This is madness! It turns out the bucket is actually for Xiao Pai! Wheels within wheels people! She lives here, so at least it’s a short walk.

Sometimes you're very weird.

You're telling me.

You will tell Meg for me, yes? She will be happy to hear!

Ugh, so now it's Margaret.

Yeah, sure, why not?

PAS… oh who gives a gently caress I quit.

Yikes! Now that was very...um, passionate of you. Anyway, Porco will be so glad to hear it finally came! Could you go tell him?

What? Porcoline?

Huh? What's wrong?

But Porcoline was the one who gave me the message in the first place.

Really?

Yeah. I've been passing it along from one person to the next, and now here I am.

From one person to the next? So everyone asked you to tell someone else? You went around and came back full circle? Oh boy. I guess that means the one who wanted the bucket, and the one who got it himself, was Porco.

Augh! I can't believe it!

Ah ha ha...Well, thanks for all the effort. Could you go tell Porco?

Oh what a funny series of events! That was so hilarious! I’m gonna kill that fat sack of poo poo! Passionately!

What...what passion! What enthusiasm!! And, and...! The bucket I have long awaited has finally arrived! I can now make a Bucket of Flan! So where is it? Where is my lovely bucket?

It's the one you just got.

That one? Oh no, no. I couldn't use that one. That's the one Vishnal needed.

No, it is. Y'see... Vishnal was only looking for it to help Arthur. But Arthur wanted to get it for Kiel. Kiel was looking for it for Forte… and on and on and on until we come back around to you.

R-really?! Then, this is the bucket I'm looking for?!

Even if it wasn’t, it is now, and I will kill anybody else who asks for a loving bucket in this town.

I just remembered another event involving buckets. It will probably send me into a homicidal rage when it happens in this playthrough.

It seems so, yes.

Oh, how wonderful! How marvelous! And everyone was helping moi look for one! How kind! How generous! And an especially warm thanks to you, Art. I asked more of you than I thought.

No, it's okay. I'm just glad it all worked out in the end.

Well then, as a token of my heartfelt appreciation, the first Bucket of Flan will be yours! Wait just a moment, now! Ta-da! Done! It's an especially enormous bucket, so eat especially amply!

Thank you.

I'm the one blessed to be surrounded by so many kind and generous people. So thank you, Art.

So, all’s well that ends well! And I hope I never see that loving sequence repeated elsewhere ever a-loving-gain.

Porcoline’s Bucket of Flan is actually just one regular sized regular flan and one regular sized pumpkin flan. Together, these will sell for a decent bit of money, so the run-around was worth it in the end.

So, lest we forget what this game is actually about, back to the farm. Where my monsters finally like me enough to do some drat work around here. One monster can work one third of a field. So of my four monsters, it will take three to work the whole field, plus my bro Robin for fighting and riding.

Monsters follow a basic schedule. They pop out of the barn at 7, and water any tilled square that isn’t already watered. Then they’ll harvest any fully grown crops. Then they’ll break any weeds, stumps, branches or rocks and add the lumber and stone to the stockpile. By hitting them once per day. It takes a monster 9 days to break a stump. It’s less than ideal. The downside to monster labor is that they’ll eat more, going from eating one fodder per barn to one fodder per monster.

That’s what she said.

That is, literally, what she said, you saw it right there.

I’m sorry.

If you hit a shoulder button mid-conversation with somebody, it opens up this menu. You can profess your love for them (success rate varies depending on your friendship score) or ask them to go adventuring (always successful as long as they have at least 3 hearts and aren’t involved in an ongoing event).

Some people have amusing reactions to being told you love them, but if I start showing those off right now we’ll be here forever. I’m just here to recruit Forte and take her and Robin out to kill some monsters.

I killed a chicken and learned how to do somersaults. I am epic now.

While I was out, I finally gathered enough lumber for a crafting table. Unlike other shop owners, you don’t need Bado around to use his shop. He respects the honor system, and is no way a lazy rear end in a top hat! Sadly, Porky has already closed up shop for the day, so getting some accessory bread and learning crafting recipes will have to wait.

Wow, that loving took long enough to happen.

The rarest form of weather is when it rains rune spirits. This causes all of your crops to jump ahead wildly in their growth (I’ve seen reports of anywhere from 2 days to 5 days added to the growth). Point is, very profitable weather, but you’re lucky to get one of these a month. And so I harvested many pink turnips and charm blue flowers. And a bunch of grass for the monsters.

Been waiting to be able to knock this one out.

"A Crafting Table allows you to make armor and accessories. Bado will sell you one after you make an order and get a Crafting License. You should improve your skills by getting it, yes?"

...Did you get all that? Well, once you're done, let me know. So, you've gotten yourself a Crafting Table. Good job. Let's start a new request next time.

I'm so boooored. Do you have any suggestions on how to occupy my time?

Ha ha ha! I didn't expect you to dance! It's so easy to tease you.

When the mayor dragon god says dance, you loving dance.

I’m eminent domaining the entire town square, the proper time to oppose this would have been at the town hall meeting two weeks ago. The town square is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Art’s Crafting N’ Stuff.

My request-fulfilling efforts have unlocked strawberry seeds. These would be so useful if spring wasn’t almost over. I need more seasonal fields.

Huh, I seem to have stumbled onto a conversation. Eavesdropping, away!

I see.

May I ask why you are interested in one?

Well... I've been wondering if perhaps a horse is necessary to be a true knight.

Is this about the "Tales of a Mounted Knight" stories?

Urk...! How did you guess?

Oh, yes, that. I've heard about it from Kiel. Something about a child saved from a rampaging elefun by a knight. It was very cool!

...So the horse is a requirement, then.

I ride a giant beetle. It’s catching on, I think everyone will be doing it soon. Wolves are also good, that was my primary ride in RF3. I cannot recommend sheep though.

True. They do have advantages in that some are faster than horses and some can even fly.

Maybe you should get a ghost!

No.

But they can fly.

NO.

Goodness Forte, are you okay? You are shaking like a leaf.

Hah, it’s funny you see, because the uncommonly brave and noble Forte is terrified of ghosts.

Gee, I wonder why Forte has suddenly become obsessed with riding.

Let’s talk about invisible stones for a second. They’re an uncommon mineral that I mostly seem to find when mining near seasonal fields. If you use one to upgrade a weapon, it becomes invisible. So yeah, useless and gimmicky. Except! They can be used to make a short sword that, if I was using swords, could easily carry me through the rest of Act 1. Also, a decent pair of boots. I’ll definitely be making the boots.

Yeah, I’m just here, eavesdropping again. Don’t mind me.

Yes.

How about a Giant Beetle?

Erm...perhaps not. Their backs seem too slick to make riding easy.

Actually, it works pretty well. You can test drive mine sometime.

Well then, how about a Buffamoo?

Hmm. Those seem easy to ride.

Yes. And they are awfully cute.

If Arthur had a mount, he’d probably be riding a fairy or something. I did that one playthrough. Fairies are badass.

But, like any cow, they lack speed.

I find their leisurely pace quite adorable.

Why don't we go ask Bado? Maybe he has an idea.

Ah, that makes sense.

Erm, what makes you mention Bado's name?

It seems he has a new sales idea that requires him to collect monsters.

What...?

I wonder what he's going to do with all of them?

I'm afraid I don't know. I just heard that it is part of a new idea he has.

I don't think it'll work.

I highly doubt it will.

Forte is putting way too much effort into this. Just get a mount the same way I did. Wander into the wilderness and throw random crap at a monster until it becomes your friend. Then use it to murder poo poo. Everything I know about pets I learned from Pokemon.

The weird thing about these events is that after I witness them, everybody rushes off back to where they’re supposed to be at this time. After the previous event, Forte ran back home and put her nightgown back on, because the script doesn’t call for her to be dressed this early in the day. This time, Clorica rushed back to my room, but remained fully dressed, sadly.

The Harvest Festival is nearly here! At the end of every month, a contest is held in which I’m expected to enter a crop or flower to be judged. Volkanon will judge my crop based on if it’s in season, its level, and some other factors. Then I’ll have to argue with random audience members to explain why my crop is the best.

Have I mentioned that this game can be very strange?

I was all set to make a joke here about Bado consorting with Satan. Big long references to Good Omens and everything.

There ya go. Good girl! Oh, hi, Art. Mind letting us past? Whoa. Whoa there! Thatta girl.

...?

“…” indeed Art. “…” indeed.

And then Kiel shows up. Immediately, so he must have just walked past Bado and Minotaurwomon.

Oh! Hi, Art. Has my sister come by yet?

I don't think so. When I got here it was just me and Bado.

Ah. I found a really neat book that I wanted to show to her, but oh well.

A neat book?

Yeah! This one. It's about a legendary knight. It's so cool! See? Especially this part! It's his best line! "A knight is no knight unless he rides a horse."

That line...

I so wanna show this to Forte. I just know she'll love it! I think I'll go looking for her.

So, naturally, it seems this whole mess was caused by Kiel. But if it results in Forte getting a mount and becoming a more effective fighter, I’m all for it. But before I can leave…

Hm? What's this? A note from Bado?

“I'm presently working on a new product line. Please come to the castle if you want to talk to me.”

Quickly! To the Art’s Crafting N’ Stuff Square!

*BATMAN LOGO SPIN*

(I apologize for the poor screenshots in this section, I had some trouble getting good shots, especially with Jones inconveniently walking through right as the event started)

This seems dangerous and I should probably use my royal authority to put a stop to it… nah.

Come! I'm ready whenever you are.

Uh, what are you guys doing?

Oh, hello, Art. As you can see, they're looking for a monster that can be Forte's new mount.

Let's start with this one.

It...is rather fluffy. And...cute.

Ha ha! That's really girly of you, Forte!

S-silence! I-i-it's not!

How about this one?

Erm... Wait, yuck! It's slimy! Keep it away from me!

Hmm. Okay, this one next.

Do you recognize the cute little turtle you saved all those years ago?

I...I can't say that I do, actually.

Oh. Well I guess that isn't surprising, considering I just made that up.

Why you...! You tricked me!

Right, on to the next one.

Just...no.

Aw, why not? I think it's perfect for you.

What about that is perfect?! Hmph.

Well all right then. I'll just go and look for other customers. More appreciative ones, at that.

Don't give up so quickly! You're an adult, show some tenacity!

...I'm no true knight, am I...?

Ha ha haaah! I thought this might be the case!

That voice...!

Because of course Volkanon is here. And he’s awesome, so he probably did go out and capture a monster himself.

You have? Thank you, Volkanon! I'm much obliged!

And here it is!

An...elefun?

Elefuns are from Act 2, so this thing is way more powerful than any monster currently available to us. Still, it hardly seems like a good choice for a mounted knight.

Precisely!

Not a horse...?

Do not worry, lady!

Why not?!

An elefun is far stronger and far tougher than any horse!

Oh dear. It looks like Forte has gone into a state of shock.

I see. And here I thought it would be an elephantine job to get her to ride the beast... But it seems it was no big tusk at all! Ha ha ha!

As it turns out, Elefun don’t approve of bad puns at their expense.

Huh? Hrm? What is the matter, Patrasche? Patrasche...?!

It charged Volkanon and bolted out of town, Volkanon and Forte chasing after.

Oh my. Things have turned very exciting, haven't they?

Hurry! We need to chase after them!

Normally, the safest place in the world is behind Volkanon. But the monster is pissed at him, so I’d rather not be in this exact spot right now.

Whew! I managed to catch up.

Patrasche! You know better than to do that! You had me so worried I...I could cry! WAAAAAAAAH!!!

Ahh, what a touching reunion.

I-I guess...

And then Kiel wanders in from out of the south (I just saw him at Bado’s before we went to the square, and he never passed through there. Clearly his is a powerful form of magic)

Huh? Oh, hey everyone! What are you doing here—

Also, Elefun become enraged at the sight of him. I guess?

Oh no!

Look out!

Huh?

Not gonna lie, I totally only included this entire event in the LP because I like this bit. Forte is badass yo.

Patrasche!!!

Are you all right, Kiel?

Yeah, I'm fine.

Good. I'm glad. So...very glad...!

Forte... He was right. A knight is still a knight, even without a horse.

What...?

I was reading a really neat book about this one famous knight. Once I finished it, I wanted to lend it to you so you could read it, too. I thought you'd like it. See, at the very end of the book, the knight finally realizes something very important.

Anyone can be a true knight when they find the one thing they want to protect more than anything. Isn't that cool?

...Yes. Yes, it is.

Forte...

So that's why you were trying so hard to find a horse. So you could be a knight for Kiel.

Wh-what?! I-I never said anything like that...

Oh? You weren't?

Well...a little yes, a little no... But anyway! What are you doing here, Clorica?

Huh? Me? Oh... I think there was something I needed to tell you.

Do you remember what it was?

Erm, no. I can't say that I do.

Meanwhile, back at Maison du Dieu Dragon Roi Maire…

About the letter we received from the palace...

Ah, yes. The one inquiring about Forte's capabilities as a knight. I recall such a letter.

That's exactly the one, Lady. It said that, if we were in doubt of her abilities, they would send someone else.

There's a legend named "Tales of a Mounted Knight," is there not?

Er, yes Lady. It collects the legends surrounding a certain knight.

One of the tales it includes tells of the time he saves a child from a raging elefun. Though he had not his trusty steed with him, he still fended off the enraged elefun.

You read the story too, Lady Ventuswill?

She’s old enough to have conceivably known the knight in question.

Erm...I glanced at it, yes. After all, it was the tale of a gallant hero. In the end, what need have we to doubt the quality of ours?

Yes, Lady Ventuswill! I'll send a response to the palace along those lines immediately!

And that puts an end to “The Knight’s Steed”. This is the first of several events that need to be completed to marry Forte, should I woo her (also Kiel, if I was playing female, but much like Amber, HE IS A loving CHILD).

She did look pretty badass.

And there’s the other shoe dropping.

So, let’s talk about crafting using my new crafting bench.

The crafting bench works exactly like the forge. It makes armor, shields, helmets, shoes, and accessories. Sadly, most stuff is beyond my reach just because of the required materials at this point.

Just like forging, the easiest way to grind is by upgrading a simple item with a really cheap material, like turnip seeds. However, there is another method good for some early points, that I like because it’s profitable.

This is wool. Easily found on Woolies, plus I get one per day from the Wooly in my barn. Also, I can buy it from Raven when she’s in town.

This is yarn. It’s under the accessories tab, but is actually a crafting material (Strings type, and adds 1 Defense and 1 Magic Attack when used in crafting or upgrading a piece of equipment). 1 wool crafts into 1 yarn, with a profit margin of around 50g if I buy the wool.

I can churn out a lot of yarn balls.

I can also make my own medicine with my handy pharmacy set. Well, I say medicine, but the only recipes I have so far are making spices from one type of leaves and rendering citric acid from oranges

Besides being an important ingredient in many recipes, I can throw this at a monster to decrease its fire resistance. Situationally useful.

But that’s enough romantic knight stories and abusing game mechanics, there’s a festival upon us!

Fruit is also acceptable, I believe, there’s just no reason you would ever want to. Leveling fruit trees is a pain in the rear end.

And this year's favorite to win is---

gently caress you old man. I’ll show them. I’ll show them all!

You only get to see your own round, not the competition. I actually had to repeat this a few times with a few different vegetables before I had a winner. I may have forgotten that white turnips are out of season in Spring. And my radishes are level 1.

It’s a potato, so… no.

Level 2.

The gently caress are you on about Volkanon?

Even with a piss-poor out of season crop, you still have a non-zero chance of winning first year if you appeal well. Bit too much luck of the draw in this contest.

Pretty sure this one doesn’t matter at all.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get all the responses, but they weren’t that amusing this time. Some of them can be really funny.

Like a motherfucking boss, sir.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 10, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You've got a few lines with the wrong image (seems like you really like Forte!)

quote:

Oh! Hi, Art. Has my sister come by yet?

Anyone can be a true knight when they find the one thing they want to protect more than anything. Isn't that cool?

I think those should be Kiel's

quote:

Huh? Me? Oh... I think there was something I needed to tell you.

And this one I believe is Clorica's

Also there's a couple broken image tags.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

There we are, that should make all text correctly attributed to its speaker and all images properly tagged in and out. I write BBCode much like I do HTML, Java, and every other language I've tried my hand at: sloppily. I guess what I need is for the forum to not let me post with broken tags. Which still wouldn't do anything to fix the portrait issue, that's just me being lazy while using the MSOffice super clipboard.

The good news, for anyone who wants to see some actual plot progression, is that that update cleared everything I had in queue so far, and I'm currently playing through the Water Ruins. Spoilers: this place isn't as hard as I remembered it being and I think I'm a tad overleveled. Whcih bears well for the next area, there's a rather sharp difficulty spike after the Ruins.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Being from the UK, I haven't played the game so I can't be sure, but

quote:

Don't give up so quickly! You're an adult, show some tenacity!
is attributed to Forte, but it sounds like it should belong to someone else?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Riding a fairy sounds cool! Any reason why we can't do it this run?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Roro posted:

Being from the UK, I haven't played the game so I can't be sure, but

is attributed to Forte, but it sounds like it should belong to someone else?

You should be able to buy and download a copy through the Nintendo store, it's what I did in Germany, so I'd assume it should work for you as well.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, that's an interesting series of events for the lady knight.

I honestly cannot tell whether the butler recreated the events at the end of that book accidentally or on purpose. He probably wouldn't cop to it, either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I didn't realize that that silver-haired waif in the fan-art section of the basement was meant to be Ventuswill; I really don't like the design. It doesn't match her at all.

As to the discussion a while back about the use of corn as fertilizer, I believe that the usual method for corn farmers is to harvest the ears, then till the stalks and sheaths back into the soil to decay for the next year's crop. So less the corn itself, more the compost of the leafy bits.

• Locked thread