Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gitro
May 29, 2013
Holy poo poo pegasi are fast. Franz is a loving flying death machine and I haven't had a chance to use deathclaw in battle.

VCs are actually doing pretty well in my empire hard campaign, took over Stirland's? starting province and have Averland on the ropes, they're just in Averheim. They also might have wiped out Zhufbar, I'm not entirely sure who's responsible for that. Don't know how much of a grind this war will be, I've got two warrior priests ready to go but I probably can't outpace even 1 settlement's worth of corruption if I don't take a whole province. They're rated 1 but they've got a visible half stack lead by a necromancer and it looks to be mostly chaff, so I'm not sure how good their armies actually are (mannfred and varghulf aside).

Luckily I've got 3-6 units of high-powered stake delivery systems in every army.

And thinking about it, lances are like really big stakes carried by horsemans. I'm sure this'll be a breeze :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Dandywalken posted:

From the Empire of Sigmar mod comments.

Yes.... yes...
:commissar:

quote:

I'm convinced that alliances with the AI prior to the Chaos Invasion are a gigantic trap.
I think it depends a lot on which faction you're playing. As Dwarfs I find it doesn't matter too much, because other Dwarfs are only likely to drag you into wars against people you're probably fighting anyway like the VCs or various Orcs. As Empire I find it annoying for the same reasons you do so my rule was to limit myself to non-aggression pacts and trade deals, unless there was someone I specifically wanted to confederate with.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As the Orks i made such a proppa rampage that when i finally found chaos they had a 200+ relation with me hahahahaha

archaeon and the bird dude got immediatly smashed by my waaghs though. i'm gonna save the empire from chaos.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Mans posted:

As the Orks i made such a proppa rampage that when i finally found chaos they had a 200+ relation with me hahahahaha

archaeon and the bird dude got immediatly smashed by my waaghs though. i'm gonna save the empire from chaos.

Grimgor is truly the greatest hero of the old world, scourging it of both stunties and chaos.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Mans posted:

Basically how I did my Greenskin game. As soon as the Chaos invasion began I smashed my way north, met the forces of Chaos in the middle of the Empire, obliterated them head on with a horde of four stacks with four WAAAAAGH's following and saved the world.

Then I burned down The VC lands and The Empire.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kanos posted:

I'm convinced that alliances with the AI prior to the Chaos Invasion are a gigantic trap. Every single time I've cautiously allowed defensive alliances to cement my relationship with an important neighboring faction, it bites me in the rear end in a top hat. I had an Empire game going insanely well(Marienburg on turn 13, Ghal Maraz on turn 30, Middenland confederated to me when Bretonnia(my ally) declared war on them), and then got sucked into a loving forever war on my border because Bordeleaux(my other ally) randomly declared war on a previously-friendly-to-them Karak Hirn who I was also allied to. Because Bordeleaux had a full stack army sitting right next to one of my primary recruiting buildings in my backfield and nobody was close enough to reinforce, this forced me to choose between breaking alliance with Karak Hirn and having to raze them to the ground because dwarfs never forget diplomatic maluses, or breaking alliance with Bordeleaux and letting them blow up 40k gold and like 40 turns worth of recruiting building buildup.

So I guess I get to go murder some dwarfs.

You have to be especially careful with diplomacy when you are playing dwarfs, since you can get grudges for things that happen to your allies, which drags you into wars with more factions, which brings more grudges, etc. The grudge campaign mechanic really is one of my favorites.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I've been enjoying the mod that gives your veterans higher leadership and slightly better melee attack/defense, I only use the half-effect version but it's still noticeable. Had a battle as the empire against orcs where I was severely outnumbered. My less-experienced wings slowly melted away but my center was held by Karl and four units of 2-3 silver chevron halberds and swords. Pulled off a narrow victory simply because my veterans refused to break and fought to the death, and my one unit of Reiksguard (which had been loving around previously) managed to mop up their crappy goblin archers.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I thought veterans already had higher leadership. What does experience do, exactly, in the vanilla game?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
In the vanilla version veterans do get bonuses, but it's fairly negligible. The mod just ramps it up so that those swordsmen who've been in your army since turn one and battled their way to 3 gold chevrons are some serious badasses.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I like the idea that cheved units being more powerful than they are now

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The vanilla veterancy bonuses are fine. Gold chevron halberdiers will fight basically to the last near a lord even on v hard.

It's also trivial to game veterancy with the relevant hero's- if the bonuses were bigger, it'd be too easy to create superhero state troops

A guy on YouTube tested 3 gold chev black orc against no veterancy black orc and a lord. The gold ones won the fight

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 15, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

terrorist ambulance posted:

The vanilla veterancy bonuses are fine. Gold chevron halberdiers will fight basically to the last near a lord even on v hard.

It's also trivial to game veterancy with the relevant hero's- if the bonuses were bigger, it'd be too easy to create superhero state troops

3 Thanes churning out a bunch of tiny Gods Under the Mountains

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

wiegieman posted:

Always kill Zhufbar if you're VCs, they end up confederating with Dwarfs and you have to kill Dwarfs eventually.

I tried rushing down The Empire as fast as I could, and I got them before they had swallowed up that many provinces. I'll try doing both them and the Dwarfs next time, then I can leisurely stroll through the shattered lesser powers at my leisure.

Is Zufbar the red one or the one to the south? I allied the Red one in my VC game, they're good friends now. I also forgot that I had the Dwarf Economy Cheat Mod on so at turn 130 I just quit that campaign.

My Dwarf campaign tho... I had that cheat mod on for the first 50 turns, then turned it off... I still have a couple million in the bank at turn 90.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Speaking of, what units have Unbreakable?

Dwarves:
Ungrim Ironfist
Slayers

Empire:
Steam Tank

Chaos Warriors:
Hellcannon
Chaos Spawn

Is that it? Do Greenskins or Vampires have any units that will always fight to the last man?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

DiHK posted:

Is Zufbar the red one or the one to the south? I allied the Red one in my VC game, they're good friends now. I also forgot that I had the Dwarf Economy Cheat Mod on so at turn 130 I just quit that campaign.

Zhufbar is the one in the mountain next to castle Drakenhof. Like, immediately to the east. Their flag is kind of a teal/blue. Hammer on it I think.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

William Bear posted:

Is that it? Do Greenskins or Vampires have any units that will always fight to the last man?

Well every VC unit will fight to the last man but they are not technically unbreakable.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Just a heads up for the military/defensive Alliance call to arms, if you guys don't mind cheesing it a bit. If you're at all allied with someone you can often ask the aggressor of a new war to join an existent war with an entirely different faction if you reload a save shorty before the call to arms. This may cost you some gold in diplomacy but since I was always at war with at least 2-3 factions I could manage to get them involved, which would often end up helping the war effort or my relations with them. Have other people tried stuff similar to this, has it worked for you

Also how do I get Karl Franz's demigryph mount? Do I have to waste a point in warhorse and Pegasus to unlock it, or can I get it a different way? Thanks in advance

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 15, 2016

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Truecon420 posted:

Also how do I get Karl Franz's demigryph mount? Do I have to waste a point in warhorse and Pegasus to unlock it, or can I get it a different way? Thanks in advance

The horse and the pegasi are prerequisites and there's no way around that, unless you use a mount, also Karl needs to be level 25. But it's worth it because it's a gryphon and kicks rear end.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 15, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What's the formula for determining what units you can raise dead on? I know it's based on the number of casualties in the area and also the number of particular production buildings you have faction wide seems to factor into it as well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Warhammer is clearly a setting that believes Cat+Bird=Murder.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

DiHK posted:

Zhufbar is immediately to the north of The Silver Road, the starting Dwarf province. They are badasses who always tie up the VCs for a good 70 turns in my Dwarf games. That gives me time to exterminate the greenskins before rolling over the Vampires with my doomstacks. Zhufbar are bros.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Has anyone been able to initiate an ambush as Empire or VC? Underway interceptions are always doable but my hidden stacks on 70% ambush chance territory keep getting spotted. Maybe I should just make a VC general with full points in "Ancient Cunning" and park outside settlements like some bastardized German horde against the Roman Empire.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Olive Branch posted:

Has anyone been able to initiate an ambush as Empire or VC? Underway interceptions are always doable but my hidden stacks on 70% ambush chance territory keep getting spotted. Maybe I should just make a VC general with full points in "Ancient Cunning" and park outside settlements like some bastardized German horde against the Roman Empire.

What difficulty level?

Also any agent, even a third party, can scout and prevent an ambush.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mans posted:

honestly lightning strike is good simply becuase it doesn't put my reinforcing armies on the opposite side of the battle map

Lightning strike rules and it's something I've been bee-lining to on all my chaos armies (you need the horde growth skill out of the blue tree anyways, may as well sink the extra 3 levels into getting it from there. It doesn't work for sieges due to the nature of attacking a city, but if the enemy has 2 different army stacks on top of a city to guard it you can lightning strike the one not garrisoned in the city to drive him away and allow you to crack the city easier. Even in single army vs single army fights, just checking the lightning strike button gives the enemy a slight morale penalty due to being caught unprepared.

Also, while I'm talking about my chaos army, gently caress the sliverslash battle. By the time I can flank warhounds or knights over to the hellcannons (if they don't get caught by the enemy chariots) enemy reinforcements have arrived and my calvary is swamped in poison rear end in a top hat dogs. Fighting 15 ish cards of forsaken wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't getting constantly hammered by both their hellcannons and the gorebeasts. Greataxe Chosen seem to work a pretty good number against forsaken, fortunately enough.

Aside from that I'm nearing turn 90 on my chaos campaign and doing pretty well. Kholek is nearing level 30 and is basically soloing armies on his own now since he's got a 60% ward save, 25% physical save, and 35% ranged save. I dropped him into a fight surrounded by empire spears and crossbowmen and he routed them all and took like 10% of his hp in damage. Chaos Fabio is something like level 18 and while I'm struggling on Sliversash he does have his invincible auric armor and is approaching peak hellmurder. Archaeon is the newest lord I've got and is only level 13, but he's finally getting to the point where his horde is coming online now that he's got hellcannon production up (for the record, I wound up giving Kholek the sorceror/spawn line after chosen, and Fabio got knights, so with some clever unit trading I've got my core army recruitment up and running). It takes way too long to vassalize the Norse tribes for my tastes and I'm so happy to not have to fight giant hordes of marauder horsemen anymore.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Lightning srike is indeed awesome and has done a ton of work in my very hard Dwarf campaign, underway travel is also incredibly useful as well and pretty easy to game the intercepcions to destroy whole armies. I'm in the final stage on the campaign, just mop up some vampires and colonize some lost holds and I'm golden.

Looking to play Chaos next, what's the goon consensus about starting lords? Kholek? He seems rather metal but Archafail's campaign bonuses are pretty good, plus he has a lot of quest items.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Lightning srike is indeed awesome and has done a ton of work in my very hard Dwarf campaign, underway travel is also incredibly useful as well and pretty easy to game the intercepcions to destroy whole armies. I'm in the final stage on the campaign, just mop up some vampires and colonize some lost holds and I'm golden.

Looking to play Chaos next, what's the goon consensus about starting lords? Kholek? He seems rather metal but Archafail's campaign bonuses are pretty good, plus he has a lot of quest items.

Sigvald is a decent choice as well

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I tried to start a campaign with Sigvald and just couldn't. You can literally run Kholek and his little dragon ogre buddies straight into the centre of the enemy line and just follow up with the rest of your troops and win fights. Sigvald on the other hand seems to lose one on one to even basic lords at level 1. There's just no comparison

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Just finished Dwarf Hard on turn 187, second campaign after Empire Normal. Crushed the VC 'early' on, turn 90 or so, then dealt with the urki while sending a stack to help fight Chaos which ended up ambushing and crippling Archaon's stack (Valiant Defeat). It was my experimental 6 organ guns + 8 thunderers brigade, if I'd gone Ironbreakers and Hammerers he would have been very doable. Shortly thereafter got a message that he had been wounded and Chaos receded. Recolonized the north and confederated the east and middle and done. Thoughts:

The building order takes time to fully understand, as others have said, and money is definitely less tight. Heroes are great for what they do, which is inconvenient as the honor-obsessed dawi do not deal in assassination and intrigue.
Their lack of mobility forces them into that static, set piece battle planning that does get boring after a while. I had some very exciting sieges (both sides) and Underway ambushes, though.

Ironbreakers are fantastic. Their grenades are great for messing with enemy morale and they are generally tough as nails.

Hammerers are also awesome but more as a mobile elite that shouldn't take charges, like dwarf greatswords.

Irondrakes - too short range to be of much use. I wish they had actual flamethrowers that spouted jets rather than fire projectiles, it would make more intuitive sense and would justify the shorter range by doing more consistent heavy damage.

Irondrake torpedoes - very situational, use against trolls or vargheist types. Actually can they do anti-air? Potentially very good against lords/heroes and just as effective vs flying ones, I need to test this out.

Flame cannon - disappointing, see Irondrakes.

Organ gun - I really want to make this work and when it does work it's beautiful but the range is still short enough that I have trouble with getting charged and needing to micro it. Anyone have much luck with these?

Cannon - Solid, all armies should have at least 2 units.

Grudge thrower - I should have experimented more with these, they always did pretty well and didn't have the flat trajectory issues that mess with cannons. e: tested out, the cannons still do a lot more damage because of the power that creates the flat trajectory.

Gyrocopters - only used Brimstone cannon variant. Good fire brigade for taking out troublesome flankers or lords or whatever annoys you, you'll need 2 do really get any attention.

I may try them again later on Very Hard now that I'm familiar with the building and unit requirements. Their fights are much less boring if you're struggling to hang on. For now it's either VC or Orcs.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 15, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

Kholek is a great starter because he's an impossibly powerful beast from level 1 which will help you coast a long time, also he takes the longest to unlock as a secondary. His campaign bonus isn't too hot though.

Archaon is the second best choice, he takes the second longest to unlock and has decent campaign bonuses plus he's also pretty strong in those early battles.

Sigvald has the worst campaign bonuses and unlocks like 15 minutes into starting a Chaos campaign and is also the weakest in early game battles and his starting army kinda blows. There's no reason to start Siggy ever but he's a great guy to assign your second army to.

Also, if you do start with Kholek be advised that Archaons unlock requirement is 10 sacrifices, not 10 killing. It's poorly worded.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Zephro posted:

Zhufbar is immediately to the north of The Silver Road, the starting Dwarf province. They are badasses who always tie up the VCs for a good 70 turns in my Dwarf games. That gives me time to exterminate the greenskins before rolling over the Vampires with my doomstacks. Zhufbar are bros.

Yeah, as VC I like those Red guys North of Gunbad. I never got bothered by Zuffbar though, they wardec'd me but got eaten by greenies shortly thereafter. I'm blaming this on that Dwarf cheat too. I had to go out and kill Grimgor as cheaty dwarfs so I think the boosted economy makes him reluctant to attack. My normal Dwarf campaign had the usual Grimgor stack around turn 10.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

terrorist ambulance posted:

I tried to start a campaign with Sigvald and just couldn't. You can literally run Kholek and his little dragon ogre buddies straight into the centre of the enemy line and just follow up with the rest of your troops and win fights. Sigvald on the other hand seems to lose one on one to even basic lords at level 1. There's just no comparison

Sigvald is also pretty easy to unlock later.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Wait, what? How is sigvald's starting army bad? He gets a hellcannon, which is invaluable for taking on the kraka drak dwarfs

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

DiHK posted:

Yeah, as VC I like those Red guys North of Gunbad. I never got bothered by Zuffbar though, they wardec'd me but got eaten by greenies shortly thereafter. I'm blaming this on that Dwarf cheat too. I had to go out and kill Grimgor as cheaty dwarfs so I think the boosted economy makes him reluctant to attack. My normal Dwarf campaign had the usual Grimgor stack around turn 10.

As VC I vassalized Zhufbar before turn 5 (wait until they get wardec'ed by the Bloody Spears and have their starting stacks wiped, then offer to join their war in exchange for vassalization) and they have been bros ever since, even though I might have totally hosed their economy with vampiric corruption. :nyoron:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So I'm in a fun position with my mods:

The watchtower mod is to the point that it works perfectly, except that adding additional layers to the buildings automatically adds building slots to the settlement tree, which can crash it on mouseover. Additionally, ports automatically build because they all use the same building superchain across all factions. So settlements automatically unlocking slots as they level up is keeping it from working 100%

Conversely, there is s small bug in my tier 4 settlements mod where occupied tier 3 buildings don't have the 3rd building slot open until you tier up to 4. So settlements not properly adding slots on takeover is keeping it from working 100%.

Basically I have the inverse of the same exact bug in each mod and I don't know where it even occurs in the files because the buildings_effects thing is just a text placeholder :suicide:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 15, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
faction unlocker with radious mod is getting weird when playing as any norse nation.

Your cities are the things that produce growth and money. Most other buildings provide a garrison but never walls.

You are limited to tier 3 units so no chosen. But you do get chariots, every marauder, and the radious new marauder units.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

madmac posted:

Kholek is a great starter because he's an impossibly powerful beast from level 1 which will help you coast a long time, also he takes the longest to unlock as a secondary. His campaign bonus isn't too hot though.

Archaon is the second best choice, he takes the second longest to unlock and has decent campaign bonuses plus he's also pretty strong in those early battles.

Sigvald has the worst campaign bonuses and unlocks like 15 minutes into starting a Chaos campaign and is also the weakest in early game battles and his starting army kinda blows. There's no reason to start Siggy ever but he's a great guy to assign your second army to.

Also, if you do start with Kholek be advised that Archaons unlock requirement is 10 sacrifices, not 10 killing. It's poorly worded.

FYI Sigvald is hands down the most insanely durable character in the game. He's only "weak" early on, and even then he's about comparable to Mannfred in melee if you don't get The Hunger for him.

You can literally send him against entire armies and if he's built right and has his auric armor he will take them all out. He even gets the leadership bonuses to allow for being outnumbered like that. Unlike Kholek he comes pre-equipped with defensive stats. So he won't bleed HP every time he gets stuck in extended fights. Also, unlike Kholek he can also assault cities without any bullshit. I posted way back in the thread about how he single-handedly captured a city by storming the ramparts and just slaughtered everyone to the point that they routed from him rather than face him in direct combat again.

Third World Reggin posted:

faction unlocker with radious mod is getting weird when playing as any norse nation.

Your cities are the things that produce growth and money. Most other buildings provide a garrison but never walls.

You are limited to tier 3 units so no chosen. But you do get chariots, every marauder, and the radious new marauder units.

There's a solution to this. Don't use Radious's mods. They're actually pretty lovely mods that remove most of the nuance from the game. Also, the mod maker himself is kind of a huge prick if his forum posts are anything to go by. His mods also seem to be aggressively incompatible with other mods. I've had no problem getting the Norse nations to work with a faction unlocker mod.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 15, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Any tips for managing the various factions economies early game?

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Man, the quest battle for ghal maraz was weird. I though most of the work was done by my ranged units except they have next to no kills. My infantry is mostly untouched. Apparently my cavalry covered themselves in glory before getting eaten by a giant spider, so good work to those guys.

Guess the dwarf bros tanked most of the nasty stuff :shrug:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Archonex posted:

There's a solution to this. Don't use Radious's mods. They're actually pretty lovely mods that remove most of the nuance from the game. Also, the mod maker himself is kind of a huge prick if his forum posts are anything to go by.

I am not sure I want a solution to something I don't see as a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Third World Reggin posted:

I am not sure I want a solution to something I don't see as a problem.

Ah, I figured you meant that you saw that stuff as an issue. My bad.

Still, the lack of high tier units is kind of lovely. A bunch of the other faction unlocker mods have similar problems. The big empire one for instance has all the nations start out with 0 relations. Which makes it nearly impossible to do much without pissing someone off if you pick a nation surrounded by other humans.

Edit: On another topic, do the higher difficulties actually make the AI smarter? I know it gives them a lot of cheats (Even normal does this.) and penalizes you in a few ways. But if I disabled that would I get to play against a much more clever AI?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 15, 2016

• Locked thread