Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Experimental Skin posted:

Didi Vatermann. Requires 200 Lavian Brandies which you can pickup a max of 8 currently, if available at all when the local faction isn't in retreat...

From the newest point update

quote:

Alongside these changes we will also be making some adjustments to the requirements to unlock a couple of Engineers. Specifically, we will be reducing the required number of rare goods on them down to 50 tonnes. We will also be adjusting the availability of rare goods in the galaxy slightly. States will still change the allocation of rares but the numbers are more favourable than previously.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/265277-Serverside-update-and-upcoming-point-update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

quote:

The first change coming in the server updated will be local news articles at the Engineers bases to help direct players to locations where they will be able to source the materials they need. In addition we will be increasing the amount of materials you can hold from 600 to 1,000. We will also be increasing the amount of Data you can hold from 200 to 500 units.

Seems like it might no longer be necessary to google where to pick up mats.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

ShadowMoo posted:

Seems like it might no longer be necessary to google where to pick up mats.

That's a nice change. I approve.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hoping to mess about in this today or tomorrow when I get my Vive in and set up. Is it much of a faff to make the Vive work with this or does it just more or less magically happen? I'm not yet familiar with the software side of VR.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Hooray for incremental improvements! :toot:

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
"Furthermore, in order to provide a more realistic experience, ships will no longer be able to travel faster than light."

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

:toot:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ugh this is carebear handholding, you should have to actually find polonium IRL and put in inside your computer case to make longer hyperspace jumps.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Good news on the mats capacity expansion. I'd have whacked it up to 10k so players need never think about it, but I suppose I can continue dropping sulphur by the dozen of [non-specific unit].

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

MisterZimbu posted:

"Furthermore, in order to provide a more realistic experience, ships will no longer be able to travel faster than light."

"Furthermore, traveling at relativistic speeds will now be accurately modeled. 5 minutes of frame shift time will now equal ~1 month of in-game time. Your expected commodites pricings may change."

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

"Furthermore, traveling at relativistic speeds will now be accurately modeled. 5 minutes of frame shift time will now equal ~1 month of in-game time. Your expected commodites pricings may change."

To provide better service to our players, the Elite: Dangerous base game is now free, with an $4.99 per month* subscription fee for access to the service.

* in-game month

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ciaphas posted:

Hoping to mess about in this today or tomorrow when I get my Vive in and set up. Is it much of a faff to make the Vive work with this or does it just more or less magically happen? I'm not yet familiar with the software side of VR.

It's super easy, the game has native support for it. Once you have the headset plugged in, go into the video options and under the 3D dropdown there will be a selection for "HMD (headphones)"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool, thanks. I was under the mistaken impression that it was only that easy with the Rift. :)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ciaphas posted:

Cool, thanks. I was under the mistaken impression that it was only that easy with the Rift. :)

Well that was with the Rift but I assume it is the same with the Vive, since the drop down is just for head mounted display and not specifically Oculus. I could be wrong!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
New $129 HOTAS from Thrustmaster based on the T16000m coming.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/%...ed-new-t16000m-

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ugh this is carebear handholding, you should have to actually find polonium IRL and put in inside your computer case to make longer hyperspace jumps.

Tbh, I'm not entirely convinced this wouldn't make things a whole lot easier…

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

TomR posted:

I have been waiting for this since release. I want to replace my thrustmaster hotas x with one of those, it fixes everything: the t16000 sensor, more hats, more buttons and a decent price.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Come on, that just would make the game too easy for Russian players.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

TomR posted:

This sounds way more high end than I wanted, they could have literally just jammed the existing T-Flight throttle (maybe with a thumbstick and a couple more buttons) with the 16000M stick at a reasonable price and I would have bought one but this is closer to the X-52 in terms of bells and whistles. The market probably isn't big enough for what I want to be commercially sensible though so I'm happy with a cheaper and probably better alternative to Saitek for a HOTAS that's superior to the T-Flight.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
That isnt a linear throttle though is it?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

First Earthlike on this trip out, 8k+ ly, I was beginning to think my luck had deserted me :)

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Is that just the regular T16000 stick? The bunch of buttons on its base would be far better on the throttle's base. Although I guess you could use some of the spare hats on the throttle to cover all the functions you want so it doesn't matter.
I far prefer the single axis forward/reverse on the T-flight throttle though. Seems odd to have to hit a button to reverse thrust, in this game at least.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

El Grillo posted:

Is that just the regular T16000 stick? The bunch of buttons on its base would be far better on the throttle's base. Although I guess you could use some of the spare hats on the throttle to cover all the functions you want so it doesn't matter.
I far prefer the single axis forward/reverse on the T-flight throttle though. Seems odd to have to hit a button to reverse thrust, in this game at least.

I use the right toe-brake on my CH pedals to reverse the throttle :smug:

The other one is for boost.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

El Grillo posted:

I'm sure you can choose between full axis throttle and the "press button to reverse" thing in the options.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

tooterfish posted:

I'm sure you can choose between full axis throttle and the "press button to reverse" thing in the options.

You can even have both at once. Unfortunately, the alternate flight controls don't offer enough options to allow you to switch the throttle/thrust behaviour back and forth between two different axes (which is a bit of a shame since landing mode does have that flexibility).

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4oavcm/farragut_spotted_on_merope_2a_repost_from_rcanonn/

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^^awesome.

tooterfish posted:

Ah yeah that sounds more sensible.

I finally returned to Big Harry's last night. It was an emotional moment. So emotional that I forgot to request docking permission and got fined for my sentimentality.
This game loving rules in VR.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I've seen some kinds of data for engineers needs high wakes to scan. After trying it a bit, it doesn't seem to work. Just in case I'm just missing something, is there some kind of high wake scanner I have to buy extra?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Libluini posted:

I've seen some kinds of data for engineers needs high wakes to scan. After trying it a bit, it doesn't seem to work. Just in case I'm just missing something, is there some kind of high wake scanner I have to buy extra?

Yes, you have to mount a wake scanner.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Natsuumi posted:

Yes, you have to mount a wake scanner.

gently caress, somehow I totally blanked out that things existence. Time to put one on my Anaconda, then!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Libluini posted:

gently caress, somehow I totally blanked out that things existence. Time to put one on my Anaconda, then!

No worries up until a few weeks ago they were functionally useless.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Dang I better remember to try factoring a wake scanner into my various "loving around space" builds, then. I think I'm gonna start saving up for an Asp Explorer to use as a truck / lite explorer. It looks like it's probably a little more fun to fly than a T6.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Has anyone ever formalized what's so weird about the Python's flight model? Sometimes I swear that dogfighting in the Corvette is easier despite the Python being objectively faster and more agile. It seems to severely punish getting out of the blue zone even a little bit. I also find it refuses to drift unless you drag it kicking and screaming.

It's weird because basic docking and landing is much quicker than in larger ships, but in combat the Python can feel terribly unforgiving in certain situations.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 352 days!
Right then, lets just dock and hope we're finished with bugs for todwait a second

you can't be serious

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TRON JEREMY posted:

Right then, lets just dock and hope we're finished with bugs for todwait a second

you can't be serious

Username/Post combo ratings are off the scale

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Closed out of the Galaxy Map the other night:

:pcgaming:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Didn't get a chance to try the Vive in this yesterday, but I had a question: can you move your head around the cockpit for different perspectives or is this one rotational only?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ciaphas posted:

Didn't get a chance to try the Vive in this yesterday, but I had a question: can you move your head around the cockpit for different perspectives or is this one rotational only?

You can get up and walk around your cockpit (within limits)

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

You can also use the cinematic cam to place the camera outside the ship and "walk" around out there. Lets you get up and step away from a SRV too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

NoneMoreNegative posted:

You can get up and walk around your cockpit (within limits)

Oh weird. Does it do like an out-of-body thing where your in-game body doesn't actually move, or did they add animations?

Even as a non-VR user, I'm psyched for like next year or whatever when we get the ability to walk around inside our ships. All my ships, except for maybe the Courier, have so much room for activities.

• Locked thread