Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Well at least they're committed :catstare:

http://blog.beamdog.com/2016/06/release-notes.html

Read the comments. What the hell.

I can't see any comments. Is adblock an even better program than I thought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Jimbot posted:

I've been playing through Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition and I've hit a wall. What do I do against the Yxunomei fight? Not only is she surrounded by a billion archers who seem to have 100% accuracy and hit my tanks almost all the time, she seems to never miss either and hits like a truck. Her priests aren't too much of a problem since after reloading the first time I figured out they always warp in at the same spot so I just kill them before they get their buffs out.

I do have to say, compared to other games, the encounter design in this game is terrible. Why yes, I'd love to fight against massive groups of Yuan-ti elites and archers. The elites up front take forever to die while the archers never miss. Fantastic!

I'm sorry you made a super underpowered party with no mages or something and are having a very rough time. That shits only hard if you are playing on really high difficulty. Did you not use any kits, is everyone either dual wielding or using bows when possible?

Washout fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 10, 2016

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I started a new BGEE play-through this week with the "canon party". Charname is a cleric. But I tried something a bit different this time: handed a bow to khalid and minsc, set their AI to ranged only. Dumped all the AC boosts and tanky items on Jaheira, let her be the only melee with like a -6AC at level 3. She's just there to hold the door.

It's surprisingly good. Usually the canon party isn't very effective, but swapping to all ranged did the trick. Then it just gets stupid with Entangle on top of Web to hold things in place. :psyduck:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Jaheira being good is no surprise. :colbert:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What was the spell mod again that put Icewind Dale spells in BG2 and BG?

Yeah Jaheira is really good. That experience climb to beyond level15 for Druids is steep though. Then when you hit it you have so many spell slots.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I've been playing through Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition and I've hit a wall. What do I do against the Yxunomei fight? Not only is she surrounded by a billion archers who seem to have 100% accuracy and hit my tanks almost all the time, she seems to never miss either and hits like a truck. Her priests aren't too much of a problem since after reloading the first time I figured out they always warp in at the same spot so I just kill them before they get their buffs out.

I do have to say, compared to other games, the encounter design in this game is terrible. Why yes, I'd love to fight against massive groups of Yuan-ti elites and archers. The elites up front take forever to die while the archers never miss. Fantastic!

Don't fight her in her room. Toss a few web/entangle spells and some AOE damage spells (like that druid one that makes tentacles pop up from the floor) inti the doorway. Have a tank with free action run in and pull the whole room back through your webs and it'll kill like 90% of her buddies. Then you can try to tank her without any adds. She does hit like a truck though so be sure to either swap her between tanks or kite her around and pick her off with ranged damage if tanking isn't working.

Rest assured its probably one of the hardest fights of the game, it actually gets easier from here on out. IWD has a weird difficulty gradient.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fong posted:

Don't fight her in her room. Toss a few web/entangle spells and some AOE damage spells (like that druid one that makes tentacles pop up from the floor) inti the doorway. Have a tank with free action run in and pull the whole room back through your webs and it'll kill like 90% of her buddies. Then you can try to tank her without any adds. She does hit like a truck though so be sure to either swap her between tanks or kite her around and pick her off with ranged damage if tanking isn't working.

Rest assured its probably one of the hardest fights of the game, it actually gets easier from here on out. IWD has a weird difficulty gradient.

Yeah Dragon's Eye is by perhaps the hardest area in the game.

e: Jaheira is not bad in bg1 but when she starts to really shine is when she grabs level 5 spells like Insect Plague and Ironskins. She only gets stronger from there.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I loving hate insect plague in IWD. First time I cast it the whole party died as I didn't realize they'd changed it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

fong posted:

Yeah, it took a while to get done but I did this. The thing that was screwing me over, and the enemies that hurt the most, are archers because they never seem to miss. My main tank has a -2 THAC0 and still gets hit drat near all the time by archers. So I did a free movement on the tank, sent her it, threw down grease in the doorway, then spammed Skull Trap until everything was dead. The tank nearly died but in the end we got her good. Glitterdust helps a ton but in the case of that fight getting the mage near them would have been suicide even with Blur and Mirror Image (or whichever one that creates 8 copies of yourself).

Even those stupid goblin marksmen later on gave me trouble. Luckily by then my off tank (dual-wield kensai) was hitting everything on a regular base for a boatload of damage so she was killing them right quick. Just going down the line. I'm thinking about dual-classing the Kensai into a mage since that's the jam of the olden days. Which level is usually a good time to dual?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, it took a while to get done but I did this. The thing that was screwing me over, and the enemies that hurt the most, are archers because they never seem to miss. My main tank has a -2 THAC0 and still gets hit drat near all the time by archers. So I did a free movement on the tank, sent her it, threw down grease in the doorway, then spammed Skull Trap until everything was dead. The tank nearly died but in the end we got her good. Glitterdust helps a ton but in the case of that fight getting the mage near them would have been suicide even with Blur and Mirror Image (or whichever one that creates 8 copies of yourself).

Even those stupid goblin marksmen later on gave me trouble. Luckily by then my off tank (dual-wield kensai) was hitting everything on a regular base for a boatload of damage so she was killing them right quick. Just going down the line. I'm thinking about dual-classing the Kensai into a mage since that's the jam of the olden days. Which level is usually a good time to dual?

7 is best, but some people do 9. It's totally not worth it to go to 13.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Agreed, don't go to 9, you'll be stuck in single-class mage hell for way too long.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Washout posted:

7 is best, but some people do 9. It's totally not worth it to go to 13.

I did 13 once in a BGEE/BG2EE playthrough. Starting BG2 as a Kensai at the BG1 xp cap and doing just about all side content in Chapter 2, I got my fighter abilities back towards the beginning of Chapter 6.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Draile posted:

I did 13 once in a BGEE/BG2EE playthrough. Starting BG2 as a Kensai at the BG1 xp cap and doing just about all side content in Chapter 2, I got my fighter abilities back towards the beginning of Chapter 6.

In IWD though, that's not advisable. I'd dual no later than 7, or you'll be spending way too much of the game playing catch up.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Ginette Reno posted:

In IWD though, that's not advisable. I'd dual no later than 7, or you'll be spending way too much of the game playing catch up.

Yeah. I checked my IWDEE endgame save. I had a Kensai at 13 and I'm pretty sure I did everything in the main game. I think it's impossible to do a Kensai/Mage dualing out at 13 in IWDEE unless it's spread over multiple playthroughs.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

On top of that, I'm really used to spell selections for Sorcerer in Baldur's Gate, so are there any noteworthy selections for Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition I should go for?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Jimbot posted:

On top of that, I'm really used to spell selections for Sorcerer in Baldur's Gate, so are there any noteworthy selections for Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition I should go for?

You generally don't need ruby ray or that sort of thing, just breach is fine, so spend the slots you would have spent on counters on more crowd control and damage instead.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If anyone could help me figure out how to get Icewind Dale 2 to run on my laptop that'd be great and much appreciated. Right now it just demands that I install Directplay, but it goes to search and then is just like "Welp, no directplay here".

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Hollismason posted:

If anyone could help me figure out how to get Icewind Dale 2 to run on my laptop that'd be great and much appreciated. Right now it just demands that I install Directplay, but it goes to search and then is just like "Welp, no directplay here".

GOG version, or original discs?

I know the GOG version packages some extra stuff by default, but if you're using ye olde compact disk, try this: http://bitpatch.com/ie_ddrawfix.html

edit: in my experience, iwd2 is the most troublesome of the IEs to get working well on modern computers. I actually had the most luck running it with wine on linux.

kujeger fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 14, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

I had no problems with it at all on windows 7.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

kujeger posted:

GOG version, or original discs?

I know the GOG version packages some extra stuff by default, but if you're using ye olde compact disk, try this: http://bitpatch.com/ie_ddrawfix.html

edit: in my experience, iwd2 is the most troublesome of the IEs to get working well on modern computers. I actually had the most luck running it with wine on linux.

It's the GoG version, I got the display thing but now can't get beyond the character generation.

Which widescreen mod do I install there are several it seems

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Washout posted:

I had no problems with it at all on windows 7.

Nor me on windows 10.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
iirc there are particular problems with nvidia drivers, something to do with nvidia's (newer) directdraw implementation.

for widescreen, this should be the one: http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

after that one, you can install this to make it more pretty: http://havredest.eklablog.fr/interfaces-pour-widescreen-a42876917

edit: it's a couple of years since I played IWD2, so my memory is a little spotty on the issues I faced :shobon:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/59789/mod-swankified-hud-v1-0-sod-gui-overhaul

pillars of eternity style hud for bg1/SoD finally got released.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
drat, that's nice. Looks way better than the horrid original UI at reasonable resolutions, too.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Wow that is nice. What's the hold up or timeline for it in Bg2?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

You find a moment with Khalid several centimeters away from everyone else.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

You find a moment with Khalid several centimeters away from everyone else.

The NPC mod is awful, truly awful.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Hughlander posted:

Wow that is nice. What's the hold up or timeline for it in Bg2?

it's using parts of another ui mod (the pecca one) and that dude is working on a bg2 version so i imagine whenever that is finished.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Vikar Jerome posted:

it's using parts of another ui mod (the pecca one) and that dude is working on a bg2 version so i imagine whenever that is finished.

Omfg if this thing can display spells like it does on pillars of eternity I'll be over the moon, gently caress clicking through pages and pages of stuff to get to the thing you want

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

it needs work. the map screen is hosed and the character portraits order is the wrong way around for some insane reason. it goes from left to right 6 to 1 so the leader slot is the on the far right, which is so weird and it's driving me nuts.

also for some goddamn reason, and i think this is more the pecca part of the mod (same with the map problems) is that the new journal screen is the only screen that you have to press esc to get out of, all the other screens let you switch between them or back out like you would normally but the loving journal one locks you into it.

there's also a weirdness to the loading screen where the lists are touching the very tops and the very bottoms of the screen and it just feels amateurish. i'd let them know at the official forums but i can't be hosed to make an account over there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Was fartin' around with the improved fights on SCS and Torgal has like five spirit trolls, a bunch of giant trolls, and two yuan-ti mages with him. Uhhh yeah I think I'll just stick to the ai improvements, that's just silly. I'd have to cheese the gently caress out of that fight to beat it and I have a decently leveled party since I imported my Cavalier from SOD.

Hopefully just the AI portion of it will be enough to keep things interesting. I'm running Insane with no damage increase because the improved AI auto targeting my weak dudes and one shotting them constantly would get old quick I think. At least they have a chance of survival now.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

Was fartin' around with the improved fights on SCS and Torgal has like five spirit trolls, a bunch of giant trolls, and two yuan-ti mages with him. Uhhh yeah I think I'll just stick to the ai improvements, that's just silly. I'd have to cheese the gently caress out of that fight to beat it and I have a decently leveled party since I imported my Cavalier from SOD.

Hopefully just the AI portion of it will be enough to keep things interesting. I'm running Insane with no damage increase because the improved AI auto targeting my weak dudes and one shotting them constantly would get old quick I think. At least they have a chance of survival now.

If you use full SCS cheese is implied. If you blow shitloads of consumables every fight you can do a lot of them without cheese, but it's still tough. I think I had to reload more than 10 times for that fight on my last runthrough, it was harder than firkraag.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Washout posted:

If you use full SCS cheese is implied. If you blow shitloads of consumables every fight you can do a lot of them without cheese, but it's still tough. I think I had to reload more than 10 times for that fight on my last runthrough, it was harder than firkraag.

Just felt kinda lame. If I were using a more optimized party, it'd be fine, but running around with a Cavalier, Yoshimo, and Rasaad in my party well, not so much. In general the tactics stuff (and insane difficulty w/ damage increase for that matter) is just kinda silly unless you're playing a party with a ton of damage prevention and buffing ability. Otherwise you'll just get trashed unless you cheese.

I've beaten Ascension on Insane before but that was using a party where everyone was OP classes.

Using just the AI buffs for a more relaxed challenge is where I'm at right now. If I feel like running a F/M/T solo or a party full of classes with damage prevention next run then I'll try the improved fight poo poo again.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
So I decided to play through the BG trilogy with the enhanced edition. How can I merge the games like BGT and install the unfinished business/ baalspawn powers now that the BG community imploded last week?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Would it be possible/playable getting BGEE working on a toshiba chromebook 2? I know with a bit of futzing I can install ubuntu but I'm curious if the game would still turn out to be a slideshow even if I got it working. It's the CB35-B3340 if that makes any difference or helps.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm playing it on a 5 year old Toshiba laptop, so I don't see why not.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

now that the BG community imploded last week?

Wait what? Did something happen? Is gettin mods going to be hard now? :ohdear:

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

Parallelwoody posted:

Would it be possible/playable getting BGEE working on a toshiba chromebook 2? I know with a bit of futzing I can install ubuntu but I'm curious if the game would still turn out to be a slideshow even if I got it working. It's the CB35-B3340 if that makes any difference or helps.

The only thing I can think of that you should watch out for is if the graphics card supports OpenGL. My current laptop's integrated card doesn't and Baldurs Gate won't run at all because of it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Wait what? Did something happen? Is gettin mods going to be hard now? :ohdear:

SHS and G3 are having technical issues, and the main person in charge of the tech side has been away at a conference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Any rumors about when SOD will be available through the mac app score?