Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Prop Wash posted:

uhhhhh what

Yeah it's wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

lite_sleepr posted:

You must be a nobleman.

I fully appreciate that squadron PT is completely in the hands of the commander. The commander can, should they choose, NOT set aside any time of the duty day for PT and you just do it on y our own and best of luck maintaining your standards. Conversely, every commander I've ever had has mandated Mon, Wed, and Fri was *mandatory* squadron PT. Complete with the PTU, PTLs leading warm ups, incredibly repetitive circuits and distance runs, and cool downs. My current base is the first base that let Friday be optional.

Conversely, your commander sounds like an ideal specimen, and I'd probably suck two dicks to get to a place like that. Is Barksdale located in a lovely area full of crime or unrepentant racism?

Also I unironically wear the usaf running shorts because they're fine for running tbqh.

This is my CC's first squadron command, so I don't think she's learned how to cripple morale yet.

You can have your bad opinion about PT shorts, but don't you dare accuse me of being an officer. I'm enlisted.txt, right down to dropping out of college to join up.

What I'm saying is, I'm a loser, and it hurts when you imply that I had the potential to be a winner.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Everyone does until training day 0.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
I've found that the PT shorts are fine as long as you don't wear anything underneath them.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
My last base had a PT fat boy program for the whole base that was actually pretty good. My CC implemented a mock PT test program every quarter, regardless of score, and made it mandatory for anybody to attend this program if you failed a real test or a mock test. Our normal non-failure PT program was two times a week at either 0600 and report into work at 9 or 330 and leave when done. The fat boy program started at 7 reporting into work at 930 or 230 and leave when done. After a very large rise in failed mock tests and hearing some people talk, my CC had to release a policy update telling people that it's a bad thing to fail, and getting out of work early everyday to workout was not an incentive to fail.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
2 SC ANG F16's managed to fly into each other.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/2-air-national-guard-pilots-eject-after-midair-collision/ar-AAgN92Y?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Any 1B4s present? I'm going blue to light blue into the Guard as a 1B4 and I've got some questions that my SrA recruiter doesn't seem to be able to answer.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
^ Hit me up.

Shalhavet fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 9, 2016

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
got an interview for an Intel O position on upcoming drill.....any tips anyone?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Knives Amilli posted:

Get out and make real money while goin hard in the paint

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
If you can't figure out how to skate out of mando pt and also pass the stupidly easy pt test then that's really more on you than anyone else, fwiw.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Goatschach posted:

I'm sure your command would find a way to say it was not an official policy of theirs to violate crew rest and you willfully ignored regulations tho.

lol yup

but seriously what kind of idiots put out a policy that willfully breaks rules on crew rest

*looks down at left side of uniform, sees "U.S. AIR FORCE"*

ah yes of course

Knives Amilli posted:

joining the ANG is fairly similar to rushing a frat...you don't have to be a bro necessarily but they're judging you more for how you will fit into the unit's climate/culture than anything else. As long as you aren't a flaming rear end in a top hat just be yourself. As far as the content piece same general advice applies as a job interview. Big one to have on deck for an O slot would be a couple examples that demonstrate your ability to lead. Doesn't need to be large amounts of people or anything military related, just a couple things that demonstrate your past ability to exercise effective leadership. Recommend you spend some time thinking about those ahead of time so you've got them on deck ready to go.

If you are a flaming rear end in a top hat then can I interest you in joining Active Duty? You'll fit right in!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

lol yup

but seriously what kind of idiots put out a policy that willfully breaks rules on crew rest

*looks down at left side of uniform, sees "U.S. AIR FORCE"*

ah yes of course

It's probably not even written down. Just a verbal guidance that gets passed down until someone with enough juice throws the flag then suddenly nobody knows where it started.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Drill is gonna be fuuunnnnn this weekend

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Woo AT days next month.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
I think the aeronautical thread mentioned that both of those went down within 20 miles of an operating nuke plant.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Syrian Lannister posted:

I think the aeronautical thread mentioned that both of those went down within 20 miles of an operating nuke plant.

Sandia Labs is way ahead of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZjhxuhTmGk

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Woo AT days next month.

I've got mine next week. The best part is taking mil leave from the civilian side and double dipping the entire time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ckwiesr posted:

I've got mine next week. The best part is taking mil leave from the civilian side and double dipping the entire time.

Yeah I'll be working remote, so double dipping as well.

This can't be mentioned enough. Hit a containment done, become a metal pancake.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

:suspense:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

That guy I mentioned in the Cold War TFR thread who got us into the NTS/NNSS is a science geek 60-series AFSC who is going back to AFIT to get his doctorate.

Basically he's going to get the government to pay for his doctorate (already paid for his masters in doing science poo poo) then spend the rest of his time in hanging out with eggheads at one of the national labs doing cool poo poo like this, followed by getting out to go be a contractor doing the same cool poo poo.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

He has won the military.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Winterfresh posted:

Yep. 413th (AFMC) and the 18th (AFSOC) FLTS are in the same building.

What's wrong with "AFSOC flight test" again?

Not sure to be honest, hope you get the help you need, OP!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Did you just quote a post from November?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
They did the same thing in the running thread, only the post was 4 years old

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Got my PRF back today, it is less than stellar. Push line was for MAJCOM staff, how unappealing. Kind of exciting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 15, 2016

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Kicking yourself in the rear end for not heading up that bake sale, aren't ya?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

xaarman posted:

Got my PRF back today, it is less than stellar. Push line was for MAJCOM staff, how unappealing. Kind of exciting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Why bother editing? Everyone but the biggest brownnoser agrees.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Protons posted:

Kicking yourself in the rear end for not heading up that bake sale, aren't ya?

Not really. I mean it's weird, like graduating high school/college. It seemed so far away, and now it's here! Except it's not... still 22 months away.

Godholio posted:

Why bother editing? Everyone but the biggest brownnoser agrees.

Eh I removed some points that were irrelevant.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, I meant everyone would've agreed with the parts you removed.

Updawgs
Oct 14, 2012

Gonna sine yo pitty
on da runny kine
Hey Yall,

I've been speaking to a recruiter and getting ready for MEPS/ASVAB. When it came to the subject of jobs, he implied that Linguists/Mechanics are in demand, but didn't say much about cyber/comms.

Anyone know if 3d0x2/3d1x2 is an undermanned field? I see they're eligible for the "already have certs" enlisting bonuses for FY16, but I don't what that means in terms of signing for those AFSCs.

On the Navy side, their version of cyber/comm (CTN) looks to be consistently undermanned at 87% (I'm looking at the FY16 CTN Summary PDF). Haven't spoken to a Navy recruiter, though.

Thanks!

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
Your recruiter should be filling you in on this info. Or not. Whatevs.

Pick a job based on something that interests you/will benefit you when you get out. Don't do it based on the enlistment bonus because you are just going to blow it on down payment for a Mustang or something stupidjesusfuck

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Keep in mind if your dumb rear end enlists in an undermanned career field you're probably going to be stuck there your entire career. There are no guaranteed AFSC changes.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Updawgs posted:

Hey Yall,

I've been speaking to a recruiter and getting ready for MEPS/ASVAB. When it came to the subject of jobs, he implied that Linguists/Mechanics are in demand, but didn't say much about cyber/comms.

Anyone know if 3d0x2/3d1x2 is an undermanned field? I see they're eligible for the "already have certs" enlisting bonuses for FY16, but I don't what that means in terms of signing for those AFSCs.

On the Navy side, their version of cyber/comm (CTN) looks to be consistently undermanned at 87% (I'm looking at the FY16 CTN Summary PDF). Haven't spoken to a Navy recruiter, though.

Thanks!

Jobs have bonuses because 1) they're either ridiculously hard to pass training 2) they suck so bad people want out after 4-6 years.

Can you remember 4-6 years ago? That's a long time, pick a job based on what interests you and what gives you skills that are transferable to the outside world. Good luck!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ragaman posted:

Pick a job based on something that interests you/will benefit you when you get out. Don't do it based on the enlistment bonus because you are just going to blow it on down payment for a Mustang or something stupidjesusfuck

Larry Parrish posted:

Keep in mind if your dumb rear end enlists in an undermanned career field you're probably going to be stuck there your entire career. There are no guaranteed AFSC changes.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
As someone who's been in maintenance for 12 years now DO NOT GO MAINTENANCE.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ckwiesr posted:

This.

My recruiter tried to get me to take a guaranteed Intel slot, I turned it down to be a crew chief because "that's what my old man and grandpa did :downs:" (never mind both of them cross trained almost immediately, Pepaw Infinity to a flight engineer and Papa Infinity to plans and scheduling). Don't be me.

Edit: I was actually getting the ball rolling on cross-training to P&S and things were looking good when I got my article 15 and stopped giving poo poo about the Air Force

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 15, 2016

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Until he separates at the end of his enlistment.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This.

My recruiter tried to get me to take a guaranteed Intel slot, I turned it down to be a crew chief because "that's what my old man and grandpa did :downs:" (never mind both of them cross trained almost immediately, Pepaw Infinity to a flight engineer and Papa Infinity to plans and scheduling). Don't be me.

Edit: I was actually getting the ball rolling on cross-training to P&S and things were looking good when I got my article 15 and stopped giving poo poo about the Air Force

drat. Plots and Schemes had military doing it? You must be ancient.

What was your triple nickle for?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ckwiesr posted:

8 years now. Jesus gently caress no. MX is full of so much bullshit, its amazing anything actually gets done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Found out who got the DUI. How much worse did he make it for himself by refusing a breathalyzer?

• Locked thread