Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxjOFd0YNo0

It is straight up "Resident Evil 7 biohazard," slated for a January 2017 release, VR compatible, first person game. A link to a demo was briefly up but taken down so expect that soon-ish.

e: And by soon-ish I mean probably this week, maybe in 24 hours?

al-azad fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

al-azad posted:

It is straight up "Resident Evil 7 biohazard," slated for a January 2017 release, VR compatible, first person game. A link to a demo was briefly up but taken down so expect that soon-ish.

The article posted on the last page said "at the end of the conference" so I assume they mean the close of E3

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

al-azad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxjOFd0YNo0

That trailer gives off a very supernatural vibe and that feels like a noticeable departure for Resident Evil's whole evil science gone amok feel. I mean, that trailer didn't seem bad by any means (except for maybe the song which seemed out of place) but it overall it came across more like Evil Within or that Resident Evil 3.5 thing.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Man I cannot believe this is happening. I am 29 years old. I grew up with Silent Hill 1, Resident Evil, Fatal Frame, and others. When I view the first video and the gameplay trailer, I cannot help but feel like this is what we have all been waiting for. I am not the type to go on game message boards to argue or even discuss topics like this but when I see what we've been given... God drat, I am glad I preordered a PSVR a few months back.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

al-azad posted:

It's live now, apparently. Here's a stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwOW95bVXNU

I read a rumor that Resident Evil 2 Remastered has been put on the backburner in order to push RE7 out and that it's unlikely to land before 2018. That's the true horror.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
That RE7 demo doesn't look too hot. It's got all the atmosphere of a crappy Unity horror game.

I'd be all for a more horror adventure game RE, but how it is now is just a load of nothin'. Somebody get the RE7 crew to play Scratches and have them learn from that.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 14, 2016

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I'd definitely prefer the campy B movie RE over this [REC] poo poo they appear to be going for.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Forbidden Siren on PS4 is up on PSN now

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

voltcatfish posted:

Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding? It looks like it might be a P.T reincarnation because it has Norman Reedus in it

e: but of course it might not even be horror who knows

Video of the announcement.

Could be a horror game. It could also be Kojima freed from the shackles of Metal Gear and achieving his true form as Auteur.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkP0ewmfPEc

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

1stGear posted:

Video of the announcement.

Could be a horror game. It could also be Kojima freed from the shackles of Metal Gear and achieving his true form as Auteur.

It will definitely be interesting to see which one it is, whether something weird and fun comes out of it or it just becomes a weird walking simulator. I just hope Kojima doesn't start going Phil Fish.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I feel like P.T's ghost has finally been laid to rest now that both Death Stranding and RE7 have been announced. :unsmith:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It will definitely be interesting to see which one it is, whether something weird and fun comes out of it or it just becomes a weird walking simulator. I just hope Kojima doesn't start going Phil Fish.

I don't think that's possible since Kojima has made more then 1 game :grin:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I sincerely doubt that because Kojima seems like the guy who wants to make sure the gameplay in each game is fine tuned to perfection, even with his love for cinema.

Also prior to the reveal he said his next game will be an action game.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 14, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm kinda worried that all the faults with Konami's treatment of Kojima that they probably also had a focusing effect on him by setting strict deadlines and curbing his excesses. As an independent, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Death Stranding until the PS5.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Accordion Man posted:

That RE7 demo doesn't look too hot. It's got all the atmosphere of a crappy Unity horror game.

I'd be all for a more horror adventure game RE, but how it is now is just a load of nothin'. Somebody get the RE7 crew to play Scratches and have them learn from that.

i dunno, i watched it and i thought it was alright, felt like P.T.-lite and I'm okay with that

the "playing as the cameraman" thing when watching VHS tapes is pretty cool too

i'm more curious about how this ties into RE timelines; an ex-sub newscaster demoted to cheap-thrill horror show host doesn't seem like it'd fit in normalcy in the same world that had zombie / BOW attacks in major metropolitan cities unless, you know, things got better (admittedly i don't remember much about 6 after the big battle at the end of leon's arc so idk if things "got better" or not). also definitely some paranormal poo poo going on, ghost girls appearing on tapes are not things i'd expect from resident "complete global saturation" evil

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm kinda worried that all the faults with Konami's treatment of Kojima that they probably also had a focusing effect on him by setting strict deadlines and curbing his excesses. As an independent, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Death Stranding until the PS5.

Or the atmosphere and overall organisation at Konami was so toxic that Kojima had to fight every inch to get the game developed at all.

I wouldn't be suprised if all the pachinko plans, mistreatment of employees was the real reason, rather than Kojima's lack of direction.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If it's in the same universe as past RE games, I can see them bullshitting something like a psychic effect caused by a mutated Wesker to explain the ghosts.

I do think it would be neat to have a Resident Evil game that focuses on someone without the action movie superpowers of prior protagonists, who has to scramble for guns and is majorly threatened by even a single zombie.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Or the atmosphere and overall organisation at Konami was so toxic that Kojima had to fight every inch to get the game developed at all.

I wouldn't be suprised if all the pachinko plans, mistreatment of employees was the real reason, rather than Kojima's lack of direction.

Kojima is apparently the kind of guy to cut the ending of a game and yet fill the game with easter eggs and chicken hats so... yeah. Not sure about that.

I just hope that his perfectionism doesn't get the better of him and cause him to pull a Star Citizen, starting off with lots of talent and money and trying for so much that they make nothing. I don't think he -will-, but we don't really know for sure

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'm pretty sure even kojima himself has made an offhanded comment or two about how he benefits from having someone sanity check his ideas so a fair bit of his success on striking out on his own will revolve around the quality of his inner circle. but that's not a surprise - really, one of the chief reasons inXile has generally done so well while Obsidian has had such a checked past is because inXile's entire executive team has a wonderful blend of ambition, shrewdness, and practicality while Obsidian's executive team lets the company get talked into things like Metacritic scores determining their loving pay.

kojima will need a team of people that can tell him 'hideo, that's loving stupid, let's try x instead' or 'hideo, that costs too much, we will need to do our expense planning more intelligently by doing y' and be taken seriously. that is a very rare thing in all businesses, not just video games, and it's the thing most of the 'great man failures' in gaming haven't had. nobody's an island but everyone in a leadership position is more or less expected to be.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 14, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Does anyone know exactly what the setup of Kojima Productions is? Like, is the dude the untouchable capo di tutti capi at the top who controls everything or is there a Board of Directors or other management who have some power to rein him in when he goes too off the rails?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Does anyone know exactly what the setup of Kojima Productions is? Like, is the dude the untouchable capo di tutti capi at the top who controls everything or is there a Board of Directors or other management who have some power to rein him in when he goes too off the rails?

It's Kojima, his art director, producer, and his personal assistant. Being a private independent company it's hard to say what the management is like but it's safe to assume he has final say on all manners.

However, being a private independent company (and not a subsidiary of Konami) means that he's not playing with house money anymore. If Sony is funding this game they're going to check in regularly.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Coolguye posted:

i'm pretty sure even kojima himself has made an offhanded comment or two about how he benefits from having someone sanity check his ideas so a fair bit of his success on striking out on his own will revolve around the quality of his inner circle. but that's not a surprise - really, one of the chief reasons inXile has generally done so well while Obsidian has had such a checked past is because inXile's entire executive team has a wonderful blend of ambition, shrewdness, and practicality while Obsidian's executive team lets the company get talked into things like Metacritic scores determining their loving pay.

kojima will need a team of people that can tell him 'hideo, that's loving stupid, let's try x instead' or 'hideo, that costs too much, we will need to do our expense planning more intelligently by doing y' and be taken seriously. that is a very rare thing in all businesses, not just video games, and it's the thing most of the 'great man failures' in gaming haven't had. nobody's an island but everyone in a leadership position is more or less expected to be.

It's old, but the interview where Shinji Mikami, Hideo Kojima, and Suda 51 all sit in a circle chatting was a really good one, and contains a lot of less-filtered information.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Is Forbidden Siren worth getting on PS4 or has it aged badly?

I had Blood Curse for the PS3 but that was ages ago and i've heard that it's very different despite being a sort of reboot.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

spudsbuckley posted:

I had Blood Curse for the PS3 but that was ages ago and i've heard that it's very different despite being a sort of reboot.

can't say how the port is but i was gonna get it this week and stream it later so i guess i'll report back with how good or bad it is

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I youtubed The Darkness, and holy poo poo, I forgot how much the World War 1 Hell gave me the willies.

I remember freaking out the first time I played it, when Jackie was in the field hospital area. There's one soldier looking very Johnny Got His Gun, with all his limbs gone and his eyes and face mutilated. I figured it was just a dead soldier, but then he moved and started speaking.

'A-are we going home soon?'

Got-drat.

E: I never realized Kirk Acevedo was Jackie's VA

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

spudsbuckley posted:

It had already aged badly when it was new, but it's also one of the most unique horror games ever made. Just keep a guide handy.
Blood Curse is a much more linear and straightforward game, yeah.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
So... is Prey extinct? Seeing the new Prey announced made me interested in buying and trying out the original but it's incredibly hard to find.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

iirc Prey was the game where Steam ran out of keys for it and it was before consoles got downloadable versions of everything so it's basically eBay or nothing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alris posted:

So... is Prey extinct? Seeing the new Prey announced made me interested in buying and trying out the original but it's incredibly hard to find.

Amazon has a couple pc copies for sale and it should be easy as poo poo to find for 360

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
I still have the big metal edition of Prey with the little pewter figurines.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
prey was a good game with a unique setting. this seems like sci fi formula #41 game

it irks me that the re7 demo is ps+ only since that service is shiiiiiiiit

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Relin posted:

prey was a good game with a unique setting. this seems like sci fi formula #41 game

it irks me that the re7 demo is ps+ only since that service is shiiiiiiiit

How so? It feels like Xbox live to me

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I found prey to be a competent but somewhat mediocre shooter that happened to have a few memorable set pieces.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Relin posted:

I heard Chris Avellone and the DIshonoured guys were teaming up on it. Either would be worth a second glance, but both...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
prey has a unique setting but that's just about the only memorable thing about it

that and racism, anyway

doing the whole thing over is fine by me

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 15, 2016

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Blockhouse posted:

prey has a unique setting but that's just about the only memorable thing about it

that and racism, anyway

doing the whole thing over is fine by me

All I remember is unnecessary, on-screen child death by impalement in one of the early levels.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Basic Chunnel posted:

Surprised no one's posted about the Prey... thing. Not a remake, or a sequel, or even a spiritual sequel to the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q38yi0NmAm0

Promo materials go as far as they can without openly mentioning System Shock.

I'm over black oil as an antagonist in anything, and while the eye thing's an effective visual flair it's ripped more or less entirely from Prometheus (there's a lot of Prometheus in it, honestly), beggars can't be choosers.

Arkane Studios are making it and they're basically the guys when it comes to dedicated immersive sim (it's being developed alongside Dishonored 2) but the other notable thing is that Video Game Story Guy Chris Avellone has been working on it too, so.

I kinda wish that we were still getting the space bounty hunting game that Prey 2 was supposed to be. Though I am vaguely interested by that trailer.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How far along are they on RE7? Because I think like every single RE game has gone through 'This will be about spooky ghosts' at some point in its cycle before returning to rooster keys and complete global saturation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The release date is early next year so pretty far along.