Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

She could do that to McCree too pre-nerf.

Yeah the only issue is a lot of the time you didn't see that FB coming. You have time to react while you're being dragged halfway across the map by Roadhog's chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I'm assuming this has already been posted somewhere;

https://a.pomf.cat/eufhnk.mp4

but does it have good netcode?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

LCL-Dead posted:

There are good Road Hog players and then there are the people who only pull him out on Well or that other map with a pit around the KOTH point so they can hook players into the environment death.

Why would you not do this it's loving hilarious every time

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
With Roadhog you can hook anyone across any gap provided you're close to the edge and they will be stunned and fall in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya0oGV0Zb0A

If you're only doing it on certain maps you're limiting the hog's potential imo

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Is this real? Because it's blatant even by Chinese knock-off standards.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The best thing is when you have some shitter who picks roadhog on Nepal thinking he's gonna do this from the cap point, but you pick roadhog too and beat him to it resulting in him just loving leaving.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Geostomp posted:

Is this real? Because it's blatant even by Chinese knock-off standards.

Sure is. The developer has justified it by saying "okay but Chinese people can get it for free, and they like that. checkmate, blizzard :smug:"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Roadhog is the new McCree on consoles. Since he can hook and one shot you he fulfills the same role as McCree, and since getting a headshot on someone in under a second is way harder on console Roadhog just works better.

Ive been seeing double or triple Roadhogs all night.

Zarya shuts Roadhog right down. The hook basically screams "SHIELD THIS PERSON NOW FOR FREE CHARGE", and hooking Zarya is suicidal.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Zarya needs a green hulk skin

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

That is some serious military-grade copyright infringement. Some of the models are direct rips. China really doesn't give a gently caress, I doubt they would even entertain the idea of any serious copyright arbitration with Blizzard. The best Blizzard can do is inform Apple/Google/Microsoft that their mobile stores are hosting the game and should be taken down.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That is some serious military-grade copyright infringement. Some of the models are direct rips. China really doesn't give a gently caress, I doubt they would even entertain the idea of any serious copyright arbitration with Blizzard. The best Blizzard can do is inform Apple/Google/Microsoft that their mobile stores are hosting the game and should be taken down.

China doesn't give the slightest gently caress. They basically only recognize chinese copyright and ignore everyone else.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Played 2 games as Zenyatta this morning, wasn't oneshot at all. Patch owns.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Slime posted:

China doesn't give the slightest gently caress. They basically only recognize chinese copyright and ignore everyone else.

This.

China is hilarious when it comes to their rip offs. The episode that Top Gear did there touched on a lot of it.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Ddraig posted:

Wait, people now think McCree sucks? Jesus christ, he has the most powerful hitscan weapon outside of widowmaker.

Only at the things Blizzard likes him to be doing.

He's still pretty good at killing tanks. :shrug:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
McCree is still perfectly fine at killing Genjis, he just sometimes has to press his mouse button more than once and maybe even aim a little bit

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
McCree still feels fine he just doesn't destroy everything for free if someone rounds a corner in front of him. The 150/200 class health heroes die instantly, the 250s usually just require a Roll -> M1 to finish the job, so Mei and Reaper now have time to actually use their abilities and react to poo poo. He still wrecks tanks and stationaries thanks to having one of the best M1s in the game on top of BangFanRollFan.

Widowmaker still feels fine too- a good Widow is still something that absolutely needs dealing with, she just doesn't get to noskill Tracer/Zen anymore and takes a little more time rescoping to finish off the 200 health pack.

The big winner from both nerfs is probably Reaper, honestly, who always had a lot of trouble getting picked off while flanking by these two. Now that he actually has time to react to snipes/bangs with his shift to get out and find another angle maybe he'll stop feeling like such a goddamn drain on my patience every time he shows up on my team. Mei wins too, but eh, can't have everything you want.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Reaper and Mei could always get out of flashbang if stunned at full health (with 15 hp to spare!).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

This is the worst weekly brawl so far

good post and av combination imo

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I golded elims with Widow last night and I am the worst sniper ever. If I can do this, Widow is still strong as gently caress.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Played 2 games as Zenyatta this morning, wasn't oneshot at all. Patch owns.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
They put more emphasis on head shots from Widow, but they also increased the size of head hit boxes by 20%. Balance!

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Balon posted:

They put more emphasis on head shots from Widow, but they also increased the size of head hit boxes by 20%. Balance!

does this mean dva is just one giant head now

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It'd be cool if I could hold down a button to see little character icons replace the V that shows where other teammates are. Useful for all sorts of things, finding Mercy to give her a point to jump to among them. Supports can see teammate outlines -- I think everyone should be able to do something similar.

Also I think teammates should be able to see where Torj and Symm turrets are placed through walls. Maybe seeing the notifications that the turrets are engaged would be too much, but would just seeing where they're placed be too much of a support buff? I had a fight last night that I totally could have won if I knew there were two Symm turrets just around the corner from me, but I engaged too far out and didn't notice them until I was dead.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Jeff Kaplan on what's next for Overwatch:

"There's a lot going on right now. We're working on content patches throughout the rest of the year and into early 2017 currently. Of course we have long term plans, but we like to remain agile to respond to the current direction of the game and players' needs.

Our big focus right now is Competitive Play. We did a big push on this feature in beta and got some really amazing feedback. We were hoping that from the beta version of Competitive Play, we would need to do some polish and iteration and then release the feature but we felt like the feedback we got was basically asking for a different direction. So Competitive Play is quite a big effort for us this time around -- almost as much work as the first version. But it's really far along. We're playtesting it multiple times a day. We're also looking into/debating putting up a Public Test Realm for this feature so that we can test it in a larger environment before putting it live. Even when it goes live, I anticipate our first few seasons will require iteration on the feature. We're working very hard to make it awesome at release but there are some things you need to see and feel along with a large population before you can properly sign off on the feature. I anticipate Competitive Play will require a few season's worth of iteration before we're in the place we want to be.

We're also working on new heroes right now. We have some that are very far along and others that are just getting started. We also have some prototype heroes that may or may not ever see the light of day. We do a lot of prototyping... I don't think we're at a point where I can really talk openly about the release schedule for the new heroes because I don't want to set expectations and then have something come up and suddenly we're backing out on a "promise" we never really made... if that makes sense.

We're also working on a few new maps right now. One of them is "officially" in our production pipeline as it has passed through enough prototyping and playtesting that we feel confident in it. So that map is in the hands of our art group at this time. They are busy making it look awesome and while they do that, we keep going back and playtesting it to make sure nothing changed between the early level design blockout and the final "artified" version of the map.

We have a few other maps that are in prototype and playtest phases right now. Some of them will become real maps and some of them will be totally scrapped -- so I can't really commit to you on those. For example, we tested a map yesterday that was amazing yet a total disaster at the same time. Aaron tried some very innovative level design tricks that we hadn't done before in OW. On the upside, the map was very unique. But the we ran into problems with sight lines and the map was basically dominated by long range heroes, leaving heroes like Reaper practically useless. So if we can fix the sight lines while not losing the overall vision, that map might turn into something some day.

So maps and heroes are being worked on daily. I wish I had dates for you but whatever date I gave you would change and then you'd all be mad at me. The good news is, like we've said before, for Overwatch, we won't be charging for those maps or heroes. Those will just be live updates that will come in a patch for free.

There are some other features that we have our eye on. For example, we want to make a lot of improvements to the spectator/broadcast/observer functionality in the game. The spectator feature has come a long way since the early days of beta but we know it can be improved. We've gotten tremendous feedback from people running tournaments and have a lot of good ideas how to make the game more watchable. We feel like some of these improvements will also benefit things like PoTG and Highlights as well once we get to them. These features are not being worked on heavily right now. We're more in a mode of design and planning around these. So there's not an immediate timeframe for the spectating stuff. But it's important to us and part of our daily conversation at this point.

We have a lot we want to do with Highlights and the PoTG as well. We would like to improve those features and there are a lot of cool ideas we want to see happen.

We talk a lot about the Brawls and Custom Games. These are really cool features that we feel like we haven't even fully scratched the surface with yet. We want to do a lot more with Brawls and there are some seriously awesome ideas from the team as well as the community that we want to get to. For Custom Games, we want to improve overall functionality but figure out a way for players to play more Custom Games with their friends or with strangers (for example, we're researching what a server browser-type feature would look like in OW). This is a ton of work so would not be on the immediate horizon. But in our dream world, you could play Custom Games with 11 other people (friends or strangers) with fun rules in play and gain EXP while doing it... so yeah.

There is more we want to do with the progression system eventually (this is more long term -- not immediate). We want to give you more customization options (we know people want to have random option for Poses for example). We have some cool ideas of how you could equip more than one spray or voice line... so those are fun things we'd like to get to. But they are minor are far off. We also have some pretty cool new content we want to add to the progression system -- so we're looking forward to getting some of that in eventually.

There's an endless list of social feature improvements we want to make. These will most likely make their way in "some at a time" each patch -- rather than as a huge feature. We want to continually improve the social experience. For example, in the upcoming patch that has Competitive Play, you can now instigate many of the social actions on another player any time you have mouse control -- so in Hero Select, Assemble your Heroes, end of round card screen etc. (obviously, PC description listed). It's a minor thing but makes a big difference. So ongoing social feature improvements. We cannot stress enough the game is best played with other people -- it's a team game.

There are a lot of tech initiatives going on. I'm not the best one to speak to those. Obviously, we're putting a lot of effort against our high bandwith Custom Game option to see if we can explore proliferating that feature further. That's a big tech effort that isn't really player facing most of the time. We make constant adjustments to our matchmaking system. We're reworking some of our internal architecture so that designers can prototype game modes more easily -- not exciting player-facing features but this is the kind of thing that leads to fun stuff for the players eventually.

And then there is a never ending amount of bug fixing. For example, we have a few bugs on consoles right now that drive us crazy. You cannot leave a game as a group. This needs to be fixed. Also, if a friend gets recommended to your group you get a dialogue telling you to press Y/N... which doesn't exist on a console controller. So this needs to be fixed. There are and will always be things like this that need to be fixed. So that's something we're always addressing. There is a large anti-cheat and anti-hack effort going on, but I can't really discuss that (the first rule of fight club...).

Obviously, there is a lot more going on -- stuff I am forgetting to mention as well as some surprises. I can't stress this enough: some of this stuff might not happen. The reason developers usually don't give insight like this is because if something changes or doesn't happen, players get very angry at us. I would like to change that dynamic but we need to do that together. We'll share more information with you guys so long as you understand none of this is a promise and things do change throughout the course of development. So when we see a "HOW COME WE DIDN'T GET THE HIGHLY PROMISED RANDOM POSE OPTION" rage post 2 years from now, please feel free to quote this paragraph in the reply...

We'd love to hear your thoughts on this stuff. We frequently change our focus based on what we're hearing out of the community! Hope that helps to give some clarity on what's going on here in Irvine, CA."

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Is there any way I can learn the maps without playing vs other players? I don't just want to gently caress off and wander around while my team is trying to win. Wondering if I can set up an ai vs ai + me game or something?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Berious posted:

Is there any way I can learn the maps without playing vs other players? I don't just want to gently caress off and wander around while my team is trying to win. Wondering if I can set up an ai vs ai + me game or something?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can set up a custom game in whichever map.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Berious posted:

Play game -> custom game. Hit settings to find map select and a bunch of options. I recommend setting it to Skirmish mode too, else you'll get kicked for inactivity even if you're running around and doing stuff. You can also decrease respawn time and up ult charge if you want to mess around more.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Sweet thanks for the answers goon sires

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

DrSeRRoD posted:

:words:

He is turning into a politician for sure. Managed to say a lot without relaying any actual information.

I hope one of the observer/spectator changes is having access to statistics, that would be really cool. All the information is already gathered, just need to display it to the viewer.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I think McCree isn't worth playing now. You need to be really good at landing headshots consistently, and if you're that good you'd do better with Soldier.

I'm sure he'll see play in pro matches since his stun still wrecks flankers, but pub McCrees are history.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Elman posted:

I think McCree isn't worth playing now. You need to be really good at landing headshots consistently, and if you're that good you'd do better with Soldier.

I'm sure he'll see play in pro matches since his stun still wrecks flankers, but pub McCrees are history.

Nothing will ever deter pub funhavers from playing the character they like. They could cut his damage in half across the board and people would still play him because he's a cool cyborg cowboy. The pro-tier funhaters is where you'll see specific characters never getting played, because those people don't see the aesthetics, they only see numbers like dps and hp and model size and sight lines and their robot brain crunches them and spits out 'MUST PLAY CLASS X FOR 0.002% WIN INCREASE BEEP BOOP'

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

My preferred aesthetic is a hero with high dps and win rate

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Ahhpple posted:

My preferred aesthetic is a hero with high dps and win rate

Does range matter? Cause technically D.Va is high-dps inside a 10-millimeter range.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

DrSeRRoD posted:

Obviously, there is a lot more going on -- stuff I am forgetting to mention as well as some surprises. I can't stress this enough: some of this stuff might not happen. The reason developers usually don't give insight like this is because if something changes or doesn't happen, players get very angry at us. I would like to change that dynamic but we need to do that together. We'll share more information with you guys so long as you understand none of this is a promise and things do change throughout the course of development. So when we see a "HOW COME WE DIDN'T GET THE HIGHLY PROMISED RANDOM POSE OPTION" rage post 2 years from now, please feel free to quote this paragraph in the reply...

Dance Studio Never Forget :911:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I mean, McCree is still real loving good though? Like, he's a character that has a 6 shot sniper rifle that doesn't force you to zoom? 3 body hits will kill most characters, and he's got excellent damage even at longish range. Also, he's got a stun, and then he's also got a super high dps right click that wins most close range fights all on its own if you have not poo poo aim. Like, yeah, pros will click heads all day and be amazing, but 70 damage shots are still Real Good even if you're not some fps king.

Most kills in this game are not from 1v1 showdowns, they're from big 3v3 to 6v6 clusters, and his left click chunks a third of most characters HP.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

subx posted:

He is turning into a politician for sure. Managed to say a lot without relaying any actual information.

As someone who played League of Legends for a couple years I have to say that it's really for Blizzard's own benefit. Riot Games once got excited and gave a sneak peek of an upcoming new character with the caveat that he wasn't coming soon and was subject to change. That lead to answering questions about him every month, even after they admitted they had problems actually realizing the character during his development. After several years they ended up doing a different take on the character, but I bet they are still occasionally answering questions about that sneak peek from 2013 to this very day.

The internet does not forget, even if you gave them a solid answer before because "lol @ actually looking things up before asking questions".

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 15, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

BobTheJanitor posted:

Nothing will ever deter pub funhavers from playing the character they like. They could cut his damage in half across the board and people would still play him because he's a cool cyborg cowboy. The pro-tier funhaters is where you'll see specific characters never getting played, because those people don't see the aesthetics, they only see numbers like dps and hp and model size and sight lines and their robot brain crunches them and spits out 'MUST PLAY CLASS X FOR 0.002% WIN INCREASE BEEP BOOP'

How do I know if I'm a funhaver or a funhater

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
People who are bad at this game need to play it a bit more like Dota 2.

You can only team fight when you have your full team with you. Play carefully and go for picks, once you have picks push.

Its really that easy for fucks sake stop filtering into the point one at a time god no what are you doing winston why did you jump into the middle of six of them...

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think people interpret "enemy team does not get tangibly and permanently stronger when you die" as "dying has no consequences".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

BobTheJanitor posted:

You're right, competitive players have no fun playing video games competitively. They also hate you for having fun playing video games.