Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
At this point I'm pot committed. I liked the first three. The fourth was a warning sign. Then it was the sudden time jump, and I didn't enjoy either of the next two, but I told myself it would get better. The 6th one is when he started exploring alternate POVs, and that was just horrendous. It made me believe that Hearne has never interacted with a human woman before.

Seven and eight, though, it seems obvious he has no idea how to fill a book anymore, and is just telling boring side stories (in addition to a boring "main plot").

But there's only one more to go. So I'm going to finish it and hate it the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
There's eight of them now? I stopped at like #4 and was already sick of it the book before but gave the series one more go. Which sucks because I actually did like a lot of the setting, just... not the main character, or the plot, or many of the side characters :v:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Just imagine if the same premise was written by a much better author.

:negative:

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Russad posted:

Seven and eight, though, it seems obvious he has no idea how to fill a book anymore, and is just telling boring side stories (in addition to a boring "main plot").

That was my biggest complaint about the last book- it did 't read as an actual (bad) book, but instead, three separate {bad) novellas that weren't really even sort of interconnected until the last chapter, and even then sort of weakly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So the message I'm getting here is "don't read the last one so I can keep somewhat fond memories of Owen".

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I can understand not liking how much of an emphasis people around him place on Verus' willingness to go full murder when he's in self-defense mode, but it does set the series apart as one where actions have consequences and people judge you based on what you do even if you feel you have a good reason.

Self-defense not being a blanket excuse to do horrible things is somewhat rare in media.

That said I'm really unhappy with the ending of the just-released book, because it feels like something that could and probably should have happened a while ago, and delaying it this long doesn't really make sense. It also goes full Butcher/Changes mode in a way that felt more like a rip-off than an homage. Even though Verus has always had a strong link to Dresden it had really come into its own in the later books and I was sad to see it go straight back to the well like that.

I'm really curious to see what happens in the next one, at least.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Even when Verus echoes Dresden's beats the dance is very different, so I'm pretty okay with it.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The UK Kindle version of Stiletto appears to have come out 2 weeks early.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

aers posted:

Yeah, it appeared on my Kindle today. Oddly enough it was a version that is no longer sold on Amazon Germany (and cheaper than what you can still buy), the pre-order two years or so ago really paid off in this case!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

There's eight of them now? I stopped at like #4 and was already sick of it the book before but gave the series one more go. Which sucks because I actually did like a lot of the setting, just... not the main character, or the plot, or many of the side characters :v:

So you like Arizona that's about all that's left?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

Even when Verus echoes Dresden's beats the dance is very different, so I'm pretty okay with it.

The major thing with Verus (and I admit I'm a bit behind on him) is that while Verus constantly struggles to be the unassuming relatively nice guy he isn't and aside from the first book it isn't really willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he is. (And the first book retroactively gets darkened by later books.) When Harry sets someone on fire with a quip the book is entirely in his favor. When Verus does it the response is "holy poo poo did you just murder someone and then laugh about it, what the gently caress is wrong with you?"

And while Verus isn't as bad as he appears to be people the book is at least, he's also not as good as he likes to be, which I think is the only thing that keeps the Former Dark Wizard thing from being eyerolling. I appreciate that it gives actual meaningful consequences to his actions and that he doesn't get a good or easy solution to the fact he did horrible things and now just wants to be left alone. Too often fantasy authors go "Well, he WAS a shithead but he changed so it's okay now" as an excuse.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Ugh in Guild Wars the other day I got my rear end beaten by a Druid named Atticus Irondruid and this thread made me doubly bitter that it wasn't even a Druid named after a character from a good series of books. Thanks guys

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Who killed sherlock holmes chapter one spoiler: LOL @ "The force has been with you"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nickaroni posted:

It gets better when you consider who Kemmler and the last Summer Knight were implied to be.

The Word of Heinrich Kemmler

Heinrich Kemmler

...Heinrich Himmler.

And Evil Bob was wearing a SS uniform in Ghost Story...

Sadly we will never get a story about Summer Knight Tolkien kicking Nazi rear end in World War II

Apart from the implications, it's still amusing to me Jim put literally this guy into his work and Games Workshop hasn't noticed yet. :allears:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

aers posted:

I enjoyed it, I really hope we don't have to wait as long for the next one though.

The crystal guy bits seemed a bit pointless though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The major thing with Verus (and I admit I'm a bit behind on him) is that while Verus constantly struggles to be the unassuming relatively nice guy he isn't and aside from the first book it isn't really willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he is. (And the first book retroactively gets darkened by later books.) When Harry sets someone on fire with a quip the book is entirely in his favor. When Verus does it the response is "holy poo poo did you just murder someone and then laugh about it, what the gently caress is wrong with you?"

And while Verus isn't as bad as he appears to be people the book is at least, he's also not as good as he likes to be, which I think is the only thing that keeps the Former Dark Wizard thing from being eyerolling. I appreciate that it gives actual meaningful consequences to his actions and that he doesn't get a good or easy solution to the fact he did horrible things and now just wants to be left alone. Too often fantasy authors go "Well, he WAS a shithead but he changed so it's okay now" as an excuse.

The thing I like about Verus is that he never really does manage to escape his past. I don't think he's a bad guy, really. I think he was a hosed up teenager who got in over his head and did some dark poo poo, and found out after the fact that that dark poo poo was going to follow him around for the rest of his life. And so he continually finds himself put into places where he's only able to survive by getting his hands a little bit dirtier.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

aers posted:

Is this just a different cover or are they doing some of that "we think Americans are idiots" thing some translations do with the versions?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blasphemeral posted:

I finished World of Trouble last night. The final book in The Last Policeman trilogy. Holy poo poo, that trilogy is amazing.

I'm not sure if it's urban fantasy, per se, given that there's no magic/supernatural, but the main conceit of the series is that the world is about to end due to catastrophic meteor impact, and I think I heard about it in this thread, so I figured I'd mention it.

One of the best book series I've ever read. I'll never forget it.

Just finished the first book and it was great.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
I just finished An Unattractive Vampire last night, and I enjoyed it a lot. I am a sucker for snarky footnotes.

secular woods sex fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 10, 2016

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

So, I now finished Who killed Sherlock Holmes. After reading it it seems like its doing a significant amount of setup for whatever is coming next, but it feel like it answered that many questions about the otherarching story.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Ika posted:

So, I now finished Who killed Sherlock Holmes. After reading it it seems like its doing a significant amount of setup for whatever is coming next, but it feel like it answered that many questions about the otherarching story.

Is it better than the previous one? I really enjoyed the first, but the bullshit with Gaiman really messed with the tone and soured me on the second. Glad to hear about the overarching story stuff though, it certainly has potential there.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

mirthdefect posted:

Is it better than the previous one? I really enjoyed the first, but the bullshit with Gaiman really messed with the tone and soured me on the second. Glad to hear about the overarching story stuff though, it certainly has potential there.

I'd say its between the first and the second one, but I put aside a half finished iron druid book when this one arrived so maybe I just didn't have high expectations.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Can anyone recommend any good werewolf-related novels? I'm just getting burned out trying to search on Amazon and only finding Sexy Alpha Werewolf crap. I don't mind a bit of romance, but I'm not really into paranormal romance. There must be something out there...

I've read the Pax Arcana series already, TIA!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

newts posted:

Can anyone recommend any good werewolf-related novels? I'm just getting burned out trying to search on Amazon and only finding Sexy Alpha Werewolf crap. I don't mind a bit of romance, but I'm not really into paranormal romance. There must be something out there...

Animals by John Skipp and Craig Spector
Pretty much any of Mike Oliveri's solo work (Deadliest of the Species is great, but OOP)

These are horror books, mind you.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

newts posted:

Sharp Teeth, by Toby Barlow. It's people who transform into domesticated dogs instead of werewolves, try it out.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Comedy answer only serious: Howling Mad by Peter David.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

newts posted:

I really love the Kate Daniels books. It goes a bit more romance-y around book 7 or so, but killing poo poo/solving the mystery is always the main drive. It does have a sexy Alpha though. It's just a Werelion. Also gay Wererat-Alphas. The greatest boon is that most of the supernatural stuff isn't you typical Christian/Fae-stuff, but Slavic, Russian, Greek, Arabic, Jewish/Mesopotamian and a dash of Norse.
The Mercy Thompson books are interesting too. I'm on my way through the first one at the moment, so I can't speak for all of the series, and how much it stays about Werewolves (since she's a Native American Coyote skinwalker, who was brought up by Werewolves), but currently it is front an center. Does include the sexy Alpha and the sexy son of an Alpha though. And badly researched German phrases. ;)
Despite the covers both series aren't super romance-y, more adding some healthy doses of the genre into "normal" UF. Still, this year's Goodreads reading challenge looks like that of a Twentysomething woman...

In other news...

Finished Stiletto, and found it really good, although not quite as good as The Rook. It's noticeable, that the book was quite a struggle for O'Malley. It does miss a bit because we aren't in Myfanwy's mind very often, which always provided a lot of fun in The Rook, but the two added characters turn out very well after the initial disappointment, even if not quite as entertaining. Maybe a bit slow as a book overall, but that's something I actually enjoy, although two things seem a bit pointless/drawn out Crystal Guy and the whole thing in Scottland with the monsters in the church. I only guessed 1/3 of the main mystery, which is good enough for me in such a book.

Also, I hope we will see more of Ernst von Suchtlen in the future, he's a pretty interesting secondary character.

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 14, 2016

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
The heroine's love interest in Ilona Andrews' Innkeeper Chronicles is a werewolf, where werewolves are genetically engineered super soldiers from a long dead world (it's a long story). The romance quotient is even less than it is in the Kate Daniels series. Dina is only a vanilla human, however, even if she does have godlike powers as long as she's on the grounds of her inn.

The writing isn't quite as good as Pax Arcana, but I enjoyed it well enough.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks for all the good recs!

I think I've read some of these way back when. I know I started the Mercy Thompson series at some point, maybe I'll give it another try. I know I've read Howling Mad and Sharp Teeth - both interesting in different ways.

Will search more. Maybe I'll post any good ones I find.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Managed to find some fairly good urban fiction on Kindle Unlimited. The Dark Cycle by Rachel Marks. First book is Darkness Brutal - https://smile.amazon.com/Darkness-B...darkness+brutal

Horrible name aside, it shocked me how much I enjoyed it.

quote:

Aidan O’Linn’s childhood ended the night he saw a demon kill his mother and mark his sister, Ava, with Darkness. Since then, every three years the demons have returned to try to claim her. Living in the gritty, forgotten corners of Los Angeles, Aidan has managed to protect his sister, but he knows that even his powers to fight demons and speak dead languages won’t keep her safe for much longer.

In desperation, Aidan seeks out the help of Sid, the enigmatic leader of a group of teens who run LA Paranormal, an Internet reality show that fights demons and ghosts. In their company, Aidan believes he’s finally found a haven for Ava. But when he meets Kara, a broken girl who can spin a hypnotic web of passionate energy, he awakens powers he didn’t know he had―and unleashes a new era of war between the forces of Light and the forces of Darkness.

With the fate of humanity in his hands, can Aidan keep the Darkness at bay and accept his brilliant, terrifying destiny?

Uses Judeo-Christian mythology kinda like Sandman Slim. It's not paranormal romance. It's not chock full of memes. There's some good mysteries, there's not a ton of world building, and the characters don't frustrate me.

Definitely gonna be one of the books I recommend to people on Kindle Unlimited.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I kind of miss the Thomas POV from The Rook, but so far Stilletto is still pretty good.

I'm only up to the new body guard for the Grafter waifu being assigned though.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Just finished it today and yea it's good. The story itself and the new characters work well, though I miss the dossiers, they were pretty much just exposition but I enjoyed reading about random supernatural crap like that.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

newts posted:

I liked Wolf Hunt, if you're up for werewolf as antagonist rather than protagonist.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked the first 3 books of the "Ghosts and Magic" series that begins with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KET4TR2

It reminds me of Dresden files in that it's urban magic, the protagonist gets himself in over his head, and he curses a lot. I think Dresden is a superior product but this helps fill the time waiting for the next book.

Also thanks for letting me know that Stiletto is out!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Decius posted:

I really love the Kate Daniels books. It goes a bit more romance-y around book 7 or so, but killing poo poo/solving the mystery is always the main drive. It does have a sexy Alpha though. It's just a Werelion. Also gay Wererat-Alphas. The greatest boon is that most of the supernatural stuff isn't you typical Christian/Fae-stuff, but Slavic, Russian, Greek, Arabic, Jewish/Mesopotamian and a dash of Norse.
The Mercy Thompson books are interesting too. I'm on my way through the first one at the moment, so I can't speak for all of the series, and how much it stays about Werewolves (since she's a Native American Coyote skinwalker, who was brought up by Werewolves), but currently it is front an center. Does include the sexy Alpha and the sexy son of an Alpha though. And badly researched German phrases. ;)
Despite the covers both series aren't super romance-y, more adding some healthy doses of the genre into "normal" UF. Still, this year's Goodreads reading challenge looks like that of a Twentysomething woman...

In other news...

Finished Stiletto, and found it really good, although not quite as good as The Rook. It's noticeable, that the book was quite a struggle for O'Malley. It does miss a bit because we aren't in Myfanwy's mind very often, which always provided a lot of fun in The Rook, but the two added characters turn out very well after the initial disappointment, even if not quite as entertaining. Maybe a bit slow as a book overall, but that's something I actually enjoy, although two things seem a bit pointless/drawn out Crystal Guy and the whole thing in Scottland with the monsters in the church. I only guessed 1/3 of the main mystery, which is good enough for me in such a book.

Also, I hope we will see more of Ernst von Suchtlen in the future, he's a pretty interesting secondary character.

He should try the Alpha and Omega series in the Mercy Thompson universe. Werewolves are the central characters, and the romance is a part of the story but not in the "he thrust in
to me like a velvet hammer" type.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

torgeaux posted:

He should try the Alpha and Omega series in the Mercy Thompson universe. Werewolves are the central characters, and the romance is a part of the story but not in the "he thrust in
to me like a velvet hammer" type.

Thanks, I will try those :)

I should probably recommend a couple of things, but most of what I've read has already been mentioned over and over... So these are a little more obscure or at least haven't come up in this thread in the last few pages.

Sunshine by Robin McKinley is less urban fantasy, but more of an alternative universe where humans and 'others' - vampires, weres, demons, etc - have been battling. Vampire novel with no sparkly vampires. It can be a little rambly, as the first person narration is kind of stream of consciousness, but I still enjoyed it.

The Silent Strength of Stones by Nina Kiriki Hoffman is urban fantasy more in the style of Charles de Lint. This is a sweet coming of age story about a lonely kid who might be something special. Part of a series , but not really connected to the other books, so you don't need to worry about them.

Perfect Circle by Sean Stewart is not really urban fantasy but does deal with ghosts and a murder mystery... Sort of. I enjoyed the writing quite a bit.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I finished Stilletto last night and while it was an enjoyable read, I'm a bit aggravated that Gestalt was used as any sort of plot device in this one. It was just lazy to fall back to in order to bring around the resolution of the story when literally any other character introduced in the book would have been better.

I did like that the screamer was used as the method to defeat the Antagonists though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

torgeaux posted:

"he thrust into me like a velvet hammer" type.

:psypop:

Never gonna read a werewolf book.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Wade Wilson posted:

I finished Stilletto last night and while it was an enjoyable read, I'm a bit aggravated that Gestalt was used as any sort of plot device in this one.

Yeah, that was a bit disappointing, especially since that was one part of the mystery I basically sniffed out the first time the blonde, female, much-too-friendly Pawn was described hanging around in the lobby. The description of the blond guy, vaguely familiar to Odette, knowing Myfanwy, clinched it. On the other hand I thought the Antagonist was either Frankenstein and his decedents (since he was mentioned as having been defeated somewhere in the Arctic by the Grafters), or the not so decreased co-founder/friend of Ernst.

Decius fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Decius posted:

I agree with this, and those two plot threads seemed to be worldbuilding exercises rather than directly relevant to the plot. I have the feeling we're going to be getting a lot more Checquy books.