Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

KoRMaK posted:

why the gently caress do you know so much about roasenna, a show in the wasteland of mid 90s tv?

Roseanne was huge at the time. Like, Cheers huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

KoRMaK posted:

why the gently caress do you know so much about roasenna, a show in the wasteland of mid 90s tv?

whats your thoughts on cousin balky?

Balky was great and hey the 1990's gave us

Clarrisa explains it all

but i was more partial to "welcome freshman"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

KoRMaK posted:

whats your thoughts on cousin balky?

Well, I'm 33, and so I remember watching each episode in prime time with my family when it originally aired - it was one of my mother's favorite shows back then. It was very popular, and it went to syndication really fast, so I remember always being able to catch a Roseanne rerun if there was nothing else on. I remember having a computer with AOL that could get on the internet when I was 7 or 8, but the internet wasn't what it is today, so I think we all watched a lot more TV in general.

And although I know you're being sarcastic, I also loved Cousin Balki and was really depressed when I found out Mypos wasn't a real place. And I can still sing the Perfect Strangers theme song, which was about the epitome of upbeat 90's theme music.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phenotype posted:

And I can still sing the Perfect Strangers theme song

But do you still remember all the moves to ..... The Dance Of Joy!!

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

prefect posted:

Both of the cable episodes have had good stuff aside from what's on the TVs. Even if I don't care for the cable parts, the rest will probably make up for them.

The rest is just a normal episode of Rick and Morty though, which is always great, but I don't think really matters too much when talking about the cable bits since it's pretty separated. I wonder if making the bits relate somewhat or add or take from the other story in the episode would be better or ruin the whole point of improv bits. I'm sure they're hard at work figuring out which way they want to go with it anyway.

I mean, it's not like we realistically have to worry about anything to do with Rick and Morty, they've proved through 2 seasons of consistently amazing episodes that they can't disappoint me.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The first cable episode had a much more integrated b-story which made it extremely emotionally fulfilling for me, and as funny as dildo gags and Werner herzog making dick jokes was, having a separate b-story definitely took me out of the cable bits a little with the second one so I kind of hope they can come up with a better context for the cable bits to take place in or just abandon the b-plot altogether next time

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MC Eating Disorder posted:

The first cable episode had a much more integrated b-story which made it extremely emotionally fulfilling for me, and as funny as dildo gags and Werner herzog making dick jokes was, having a separate b-story definitely took me out of the cable bits a little with the second one so I kind of hope they can come up with a better context for the cable bits to take place in or just abandon the b-plot altogether next time

shut up you stupid, worthless, idiot, white bread, white, uhhhh guilt white guilt bitchhhhhhhh

Haha just kidding

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you wanted enchiladas you could have just said so!

General Wishy
May 8, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Roseanne was huge at the time. Like, Cheers huge.

Really. It was big show in the late 80s/early 90s because it was pretty down to Earth. If Roseanne hadn't gone crazy and driven it straight into the ground, it would be remembered much more fondly.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I actually think the B story for Cable 2 was much better, although the first one had the benefit of being really light and simple to break up the constant stream of gags.

I think the biggest crime is that Rick and Morty is a show about inter-dimensional/time travel, they could do anything with these concepts. If they want to do a yearly gag about Roland getting drunk and just riffing for 20 minutes that's totally great, but they could have it be anything at all: new dimensions they're travelling to, hallucinations they're having from some alien drug, hell they could be in the interdimensional cable trying to fight their way out. It's limited by their imaginations so being formulaic with it is lame. Going from the memory leech episode to that in the same season is a bit disappointing.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

MrSlam posted:

You had to be there. Without the internet you end up watching an unhealthy a great amount of TV.
I spent most evenings in those days at my Grandparents' house because my parents worked nights. Sure there was some Roseanne, but even more Matlock, Night Court, and The Golden Girls.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Guy A. Person posted:

I actually think the B story for Cable 2 was much better, although the first one had the benefit of being really light and simple to break up the constant stream of gags.

I think the biggest crime is that Rick and Morty is a show about inter-dimensional/time travel, they could do anything with these concepts. If they want to do a yearly gag about Roland getting drunk and just riffing for 20 minutes that's totally great, but they could have it be anything at all: new dimensions they're travelling to, hallucinations they're having from some alien drug, hell they could be in the interdimensional cable trying to fight their way out. It's limited by their imaginations so being formulaic with it is lame. Going from the memory leech episode to that in the same season is a bit disappointing.

Maybe the next one will be like that. We've only seen two so far.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I don't understand either, they pretty much nailed it the first time

GueroDeEncanta
Jan 28, 2005

If y'all like the Interdimensional Cable episodes, we did an update to the Rickstaverse featuring levels based on them. Try and find all the Gazorpazorpfield comics. https://www.instagram.com/rickandmortyrickstaverse/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GueroDeEncanta posted:

If y'all like the Interdimensional Cable episodes, we did an update to the Rickstaverse featuring levels based on them. Try and find all the Gazorpazorpfield comics. https://www.instagram.com/rickandmortyrickstaverse/

Yay, more Jerrygochis

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Robot Hobo posted:

I spent most evenings in those days at my Grandparents' house because my parents worked nights. Sure there was some Roseanne, but even more Matlock, Night Court, and The Golden Girls.

Night Court was great, and I retroactively felt so much less embarrassment about watching the Golden Girls when I found out Mitch Hurwitz worked on it. :allears:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Golden Girls was legitimately funny. One of the more tolerable comedies of the period, I felt. Same with Night Court.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The fact that PBS syndicates British sitcoms formed the basis of my comedy education though. Red Dwarf, Are You Being Served?, Good Neighbors, Waiting For God, Allo Allo...

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Kesper North posted:

The fact that PBS syndicates British sitcoms formed the basis of my comedy education though. Red Dwarf, Are You Being Served?, Good Neighbors, Waiting For God, Allo Allo...

this is the Australian experience also.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

starkebn posted:

this is the Australian experience also.

New Zealand as well. Although we got more Blackadder than Are you being served.

Which is sad, I'm rather fond of Chris Barrie.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kesper North posted:

Golden Girls was legitimately funny. One of the more tolerable comedies of the period, I felt. Same with Night Court.

Golden Girls is a fantastic sitcom, and incredibly progressive too. There's jokes and subjects in there that modern TV wouldn't touch for being too controversial.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The logical conclusion would be to just film Harmon and roilard getting completely wasted and thinking they were making another cable episode and then just air that.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
All this talk about the cable episodes had me thinking, hey, I should read up on what my favorite dude from Airwolf has been up to. Time to michael up my vincents, jan!

So I went to Wikipedia, entered Jan-Michael Vincent, read the opening paragraph, got excited, then kept reading, kept reading, and then :stare:.

Dude's had a rough time. As have many of his lady friends. And other drivers on the road.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

tarlibone posted:

Dude's had a rough time. As have many of his lady friends. And other drivers on the road.

Sounds like they just couldn't Michael down their Vincents

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

tarlibone posted:

All this talk about the cable episodes had me thinking, hey, I should read up on what my favorite dude from Airwolf has been up to. Time to michael up my vincents, jan!

So I went to Wikipedia, entered Jan-Michael Vincent, read the opening paragraph, got excited, then kept reading, kept reading, and then :stare:.

:stare: you weren't kidding. That guy, uh, that guy has a lot of problems.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

The_Doctor posted:

Golden Girls is a fantastic sitcom, and incredibly progressive too. There's jokes and subjects in there that modern TV wouldn't touch for being too controversial.
Ok, so we're all in agreement then, Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon should be put in charge of a Golden Girls reboot, starring Jan Michael Vincent as Sophia. Got it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tarlibone posted:

Jan-Michael has been off-kilter since his head injury. Howard Stern would have him on and just let him say whatever came out of his crazy skull. Entertaining as all hell, but sad, too.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I find Harmon and Roiland less brilliant if there are no high-concept sci-fi shenanigans involved.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Kesper North posted:

I find Harmon and Roiland less brilliant if there are no high-concept sci-fi shenanigans involved.

rigmarole

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Rickmarole

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Rickmarole

Ricknmortle

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm catching up with this between [as] broadcasts and cable on-demand. Mortynight Run is another instant favorite (keeping in mind I've only seen Ricksy Business to The Ricks Must Be Crazy to this point). The Roy game was both hilarious and depressing and I laughed out loud when it spit out tickets like any arcade game.

e- Big Trouble in Little Sanchez just popped up on the list as available.

Kesper North posted:

Keeping Up Appearances?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm really curious as to how they resolve the end of the second season. I figure either:

Council of Ricks/cyborg Morty rescues/kidnaps the plot Rick.

There's a typical season opener where they casually mention that C124 Rick got arrested.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Keeping Up Appearances?

I know more about the adventures of the demon made flesh Hyacinth Bucket than I do my own extended family. Great show.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm really curious as to how they resolve the end of the second season. I figure either:

Council of Ricks/cyborg Morty rescues/kidnaps the plot Rick.

There's a typical season opener where they casually mention that C124 Rick got arrested.
Well, this might be the right time to bring back the Meseeks box. Summer presses the button and orders Mr. Meseeks to "Save Grandpa Rick." Smash cut to a month later, Rick is free, Earth is a lifeless husk, the entire galaxy is in flames, and Rick takes everyone to an alternate dimension where none of this happened.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MrSlam posted:

I know more about the adventures of the demon made flesh Hyacinth Bucket than I do my own extended family. Great show.

LADY OF THE HOUSE SPEAKING

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I will straight up murder anyone who brushes up against my expensive wallpaper.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm catching up with this between [as] broadcasts and cable on-demand. Mortynight Run is another instant favorite (keeping in mind I've only seen Ricksy Business to The Ricks Must Be Crazy to this point). The Roy game was both hilarious and depressing and I laughed out loud when it spit out tickets like any arcade game.

e- Big Trouble in Little Sanchez just popped up on the list as available.

Keeping Up Appearances?

Just you wait until you make it to Total Rickall. Just you wait sir.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I think Interdimensional Cable 2 was good. Hopefully the third follows up on the cliffhanger about how that woman got there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Just you wait until you make it to Total Rickall. Just you wait sir.

First one I saw. Photography Raptor sold me. Watching it again right now.

• Locked thread