Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Subjunctive posted:

Just ban the sale of most ammo, you can get a permit if you hand back your now-restricted guns. Doesn't make criminals out of anyone or take anything away, just restricts going forward. Same way we didn't seize leaded gasoline.

Not a valid comparison, because

1) Single and multi-shot rifles use the same ammunition, for the most part
2) Banning leaded gas didn't make 95%+ of the cars in Canads useless overnight
3) Guns don't wear out and need replacement as frequently as cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

David Corbett posted:

Also, from a practical perspective, banning nearly all of Canada's millions of guns in circulation would be a terrible idea.

No, it would be an awesome idea, I don't give a gently caress about gunowners.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had a friend who was a "camp gun" for a while. His job was basically to shoot anything dangerous to protect a group of mineral surveyors as they operated deep in the middle of nowhere. It was fairly standard to use some sort of big rifle that could hold a half dozen or so shots and go through them pretty quickly/easily. You'd first have a "bear banger" chambered, this is sort of like a blank but just shoots out a thing that's super loud and hopefully scares the bear away. After that you'd have some real rounds, because if the bear banger doesn't work you need to take the bear down asap and quite often a single shot won't do it.

But these people are licensed and trained and using a weapon as part of a job. That should really be the only situation one should be allowed a gun.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I think you guys are forgetting that the ultimate way to show respect for the natural world is to drive into the woods of Northern Ontario with your truck nutted F-150, 24 of Lakeport at the ready, and then make a moose die

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
That's hardly standard. In my experience, most camps had a shotgun or a bolt action rifle, and the bear bangers were small firework-type deals launced from a device the size of a pen.

No need for an ar-15 or sks or w/e.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Hey guys guess we can't do anything about gun violence because some hunter has arthritis.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Trees and Squids posted:

I think you guys are forgetting that the ultimate way to show respect for the natural world is to drive into the woods of Northern Ontario with your truck nutted F-150, 24 of Lakeport at the ready, and then make a moose die

Nah, just put it in the back seat for a while and let it go, the park rangers will do the rest.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Trees and Squids posted:

Seriously, the number of Fraser Valley fuckwits who think they are "getting out into nature", who are really just rumbling onto a forestry service road on their loving raised F150s with a twofour and a pile of guns to shoot things with

gently caress guns and gently caress all gunowners

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
guns are for pathetic people, that's why cops get them.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If you ban cops then only criminals will have cops.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why are we arguing about this? Making our gun laws stricter is going to do very little, because I would guess the largest contributory factor to gun violence in Canada is our proximity to the US, where guns can be bought and smuggled into Canada easily. Our gun laws are neither unreasonably strict or too loose, so we'd be changing things just to change them.

EDIT: It's stupid to ban guns just because you don't like the sort of people who own guns. I agree a lot of them really suck, but that's not really a good reason to ban guns and I don't think we should do it just to spite them or whatever.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
We should just ban guns anyhow.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

PT6A posted:

Why are we arguing about this? Making our gun laws stricter is going to do very little, because I would guess the largest contributory factor to gun violence in Canada is our proximity to the US, where guns can be bought and smuggled into Canada easily. Our gun laws are neither unreasonably strict or too loose, so we'd be changing things just to change them.

Preemptively telling you to not be thick here.

Our laws do work and there are numbers to back this up. If you look at Canada, there are 2 gun-related deaths per 100,000 per year suicides being the most common (1.52 per 100,000) and homicides being second (0.38). Compare that to our neighbours, it's 10.5 per 100,000 with homicide being 3.4 per 100,000 and suicide being 6.7.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OSI bean dip posted:

Preemptively telling you to not be thick here.

Our laws do work and there are numbers to back this up. If you look at Canada, there are 2 gun-related deaths per 100,000 per year suicides being the most common (1.52 per 100,000) and homicides being second (0.38). Compare that to our neighbours, it's 10.5 per 100,000 with homicide being 3.4 per 100,000 and suicide being 6.7.

I agree. Our laws do work, and they are important. I'm saying there's very limited room for improvement because, unlike in the US, the vast majority of gun deaths result from guns that were illegally obtained, stored, transported, modified, etc. under the current laws. Thus, we need to focus on the enforcement of existing laws and anti-smuggling operations more than imposing additional restrictions.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

EDIT: It's stupid to ban guns just because you don't like the sort of people who own guns. I agree a lot of them really suck, but that's not really a good reason to ban guns and I don't think we should do it just to spite them or whatever.

Gun control laws objectively work, not just in Canada, but in other countries with stricter laws too. There's plenty of data to back this up.

In a perfect world though yeah, ban guns and ban all gun owners.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

I'm pretty much as pro-gun control as they come and literally never have so much as touched a gun. The AR-15 issue is just a honeypot for spergy gun nuts to argue with people who believe that an AR-15 with 5 relatively low-caliber bullets is a lot more deadly than it actually is.

As long as handguns are effectively banned from private ownership and medium or large capacity magazines are illegal gun violence will remain relatively low in Canada. It would be even lower if we didn't have the United States directly to our south, but there's not a lot we can do about that.

On the other hand:

cowofwar posted:

All semi-auto guns and all magazines should be banned. The only guns allowed should be those that require manual chambering of every single round.

If you're on the range it doesn't matter, you'll be more accurate.

If you're hunting it doesn't matter, if you miss a shot your target is now gone anyways.

If you're murdering people you get one shot before people can take you down.

I'm pretty sympathetic to this point of view as well..

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I must have missed the part of my post where I said our gun laws aren't working.

What I'm saying is we don't need to change them, because they are working fine as is.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

I must have missed the part of my post where I said our gun laws aren't working.

What I'm saying is we don't need to change them, because they are working fine as is.

I think they should be significantly more strict actually.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Gun control isn't an all-encompassing solution to violent crime; it's a means of making it a pain in the rear end to kill people en-masse.

It's sort of like how my job is to secure my company's networks but I can only really do so by making it too much of a pain in the rear end for an intruder to get a foothold as I cannot promise 100% security.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I had a friend who was a "camp gun" for a while. His job was basically to shoot anything dangerous to protect a group of mineral surveyors as they operated deep in the middle of nowhere. It was fairly standard to use some sort of big rifle that could hold a half dozen or so shots and go through them pretty quickly/easily. You'd first have a "bear banger" chambered, this is sort of like a blank but just shoots out a thing that's super loud and hopefully scares the bear away. After that you'd have some real rounds, because if the bear banger doesn't work you need to take the bear down asap and quite often a single shot won't do it.

But these people are licensed and trained and using a weapon as part of a job. That should really be the only situation one should be allowed a gun.

It's cool that your friend was Liam Neeson in The Grey, on the other hand I'm pretty sure we could come up with a scenario where someone in that specific situation can be licensed to have a gun that the rest of the population is not allowed to have.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

Gun control isn't an all-encompassing solution to violent crime; it's a means of making it a pain in the rear end to kill people en-masse.

It's sort of like how my job is to secure my company's networks but I can only really do so by making it too much of a pain in the rear end for an intruder to get a foothold as I cannot promise 100% security.

Also of making it a pain in the rear end to kill other people and/or yourself in the heat of the moment because you were momentarily enraged/depressed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

MA-Horus posted:

Did you know that in the First World War, the British were famous for something called "The Mad Minute"? Essentially It means their infantry with bolt-action rifles were able to get a round off every 2 seconds for a full minute, including reloads. The Germans thought they were under machine-gun fire the first time they ran into it.

Random nitpick, but this isn't actually true. This rumour specifically dates from around the Battle of Mons, and while there are reports from BEF soldiers of advancing German columns falling as if they were under machine gun fire, there are no known German reports that say anything of the sort.

In actually addressing the content of your post, the Mad Minute was a thing amongst the professional core of the British army. It's not a thing the later conscripts were really capable of (because nobody bothered to teach them, as it was not important), and not a thing some random mass shooter is likely to be doing.

Rust Martialis posted:

We should just ban guns anyhow.

:agreed:

Shooting ranges are fine, but personal ownership is dumb and bad.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think they should be significantly more strict actually.

Why? Our current gun violence problems come from things that are already illegal under current laws. I still have yet to hear an argument explaining why stricter gun laws will benefit Canada other than "gently caress gun owners." Our current laws are more than adequate, although I agree we need better enforcement.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

Why? Our current gun violence problems come from things that are already illegal under current laws. I still have yet to hear an argument explaining why stricter gun laws will benefit Canada other than "gently caress gun owners." Our current laws are more than adequate, although I agree we need better enforcement.

CLAM DOWN posted:

No, it would be an awesome idea, I don't give a gently caress about gunowners.

CLAM DOWN posted:

ban guns and ban all gun owners.

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress guns and gently caress all gunowners

What part of this are you not getting?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ikantski posted:

Probably the part where PT6A has a reasonable viewpoint. I was also confused.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Honestly, we should make it illegal to shoot people.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

El Scotch posted:

Honestly, we should make it illegal to shoot people.

if you we make it illegal to shoot people then only criminals will shoot people.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Keep glazing over the fact that a lot of countries with much lower rates of firearm ownership have significantly higher homicide rates and vice versa.

Most people who own guns aren't goobers that trapes off in to the sand pits to shoot old TVs and leave massive piles of garbage behind. Hell, I've probably gone in to the bush with a trash pole and a box of garbage bags to clean that poo poo up more than anyone else here.

And LOL at the hate for game and bird hunters I bet you buy chicken and eggs from places that are basically Auschwitz for birds.

Urban trash.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Ikantski posted:

Presumably, the same part I did - that anyone actually wants to hear a different opinion. Boy, was that ever dumb.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

EvilJoven posted:

Keep glazing over the fact that a lot of countries with much lower rates of firearm ownership have significantly higher homicide rates and vice versa.

Most people who own guns aren't goobers that trapes off in to the sand pits to shoot old TVs and leave massive piles of garbage behind. Hell, I've probably gone in to the bush with a trash pole and a box of garbage bags to clean that poo poo up more than anyone else here.

And LOL at the hate for game and bird hunters I bet you buy chicken and eggs from places that are basically Auschwitz for birds.

Urban trash.

lol loser, i only eat a free sourced organic vegan cuisine, from my fully solar powered home, anyone who doesn't do 100% of what I do is just a loser

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

vyelkin posted:

Also of making it a pain in the rear end to kill other people and/or yourself in the heat of the moment because you were momentarily enraged/depressed.

yeah. you can't really stop someone who's willing to put a lot of work into killing a shitload of people, but it's trivial to reduce the impulsive poo poo that actually makes up the majority of gun violence. its kind of like how replacing screw-top pill bottles of tylenol with blister packs in the UK cut suicide attempts by that method by almost 50% because just forcing people to actually pop em all out of the packaging one by one was enough to discourage a very large proportion of people

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

EvilJoven posted:

A month ago, goons in this thread called outdoor cats Literally Hitler for their merciless slaughter of birds, LOL.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

EvilJoven posted:

It would be hilarious to hear your take on how these chickens and other livestock would do if they were released into the wild to roam free.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Doesnt Japan have super strict gun laws, to the point that police officers can actually be charged and jailed for firing their guns outside of the most extreme cases?

We have good gun laws in Canada, theyre just very poorly written or enforced. Its not hard to understand why people would just flat out opt for banning of them with such a long and messy history of trying to improve said laws. :shrug:

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
We have reasonable gun laws in Canada, but our gun culture is heavily influenced by the United States.

Ban America imho.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Whiskey Sours posted:

We have reasonable gun laws in Canada, but our gun culture is heavily influenced by the United States.

Ban America imho.

Truth

The problem isn't guns, it's terrible people with guns. Americans are terrible people and their bullshit rubs off on us too much.

EDIT: Americans with guns are terrifying. People from other developed countries with guns, not so much.

EDIT2: Also hosed up countries full of murder really aren't hosed up and full of murder because everyone's armed.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 15, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Whiskey Sours posted:

Ban America imho.

Sometimes it amuses me how bipolar we are in this country. How fast we can flip between "At least we arent the USA!" and "We need to be more like the USA!" is one of the best examples of this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

"We need to be more like the USA!"

Who is saying this? People who want better Netflix? Cheaper milk?

Also yeah my brain exploded from PT6A making sense, sorrrrry eh

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
This thread really comes alive any time people get the opportunity to talk about people who do activity x or own object y are the scum of the earth and should be relentlessly persecuted.

I don't say this as someone with any particular love of guns or gun nuts, but bitching about how some other group of Canadians partake in some activity or lifestyle seems to be literally the only topic anyone gets genuinely enthusiastic for and it's honestly kind of pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
lmao Ontario

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/man-charged-after-fiery-argument-over-whether-earth-is-flat-or-round-1.2945537

quote:

A 56-year-old man in eastern Ontario is wanted by police on a mischief charge, after he allegedly threw a propane tank into a fire during an argument with his son's girlfriend over whether the Earth is flat or round.
Police say the argument broke out among three family members who were sitting around a campfire at St. Lawrence Park, in Brockville, Ont., on Monday. A woman refused to back down from her assertion that the Earth is flat, and her attitude ultimately pushed her boyfriend's father over the edge.
After attempting to drop several truth bombs about the shape of the planet, the 56-year-old man started throwing items into the fire, including a propane tank.
Police and firefighters were called to the scene of the argument to extinguish the flames.
The man fled the scene and is expected to face mischief charges when he is apprehended, police said in a statement.
"Neither party would change their views," police said in a statement.
The Brockville spat is only the latest flat-Earth debate to make headlines. In January, recording artist B.o.B. got into a heated Twitter war with astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson over the shape of the Earth. B.o.B. had argued that the Earth is pear-shaped, and claimed there was a conspiracy to cover it up.
For the record, Ferdinand Magellan led the first expedition to successfully circumnavigate the round Earth, from 1519-1522. Magellan himself did not live to see the end of the journey.