Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

sean10mm posted:

An M1 Garand would be a much worse weapon for mass murder. It's heavy as gently caress, has much heavier recoil, the old-timey "en bloc" clips only hold 8 rounds, and it's easy to smash the gently caress out of your thumb while reloading if you're not careful. That's why the military moved away from massive .30 caliber battle rifles in the first place. They kick like mules, give you too few shots between reloads, and have more power than you really need if you just want to rapidly kill humans inside 300 yards. They're also harder to gain proficiency with than smaller, lighter assault rifles that don't kick nearly as hard.

Yeah I wasn't really agreeing with his premise so much as acknowledging the regulatory oddity.

Honestly a shotgun would probably be the most dangerous thing for these sort of attacks if we magic away detachable box magazines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

M1garand:words:

Imagine a world where the headline "Mass shooter kills X people" is instead, "Attempted Mass Shooter hospitalized with mangled thumb".

:allears:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump is holding a rally right now

https://twitter.com/sppeoples/status/743125088573259777

https://twitter.com/KilloughCNN/status/743136740823695360

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I could see the M1 garand being the hot new massacre weapon after the AR-Style semi auto is banned.

*Wood furniture, so its not an assault weapon designed only for murder
    *Nearly double the velocity with a bigger round
    *Only 8 rounds, so it skirts under "High capacity" if we set that at 10.
    *Stripper clips

I'd have said the Mini-14 but those are seen all the time with curvy magazines, so they trigger the "Assault weapon" reaction :ohdear:

Honestly the garand migh very well be "better" in that case, as the loud *PING* when the en-bloc clip ejects and alerts those around the shooter that he has to reload. (Obviously moot point if there is more than one shooter)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm starting to worry that the GOP will replace Trump with another candidate who can bask in the glow of not being Trump. A month ago I wouldn't have thought it possible, but he's just been so, so, so very bad that I'm afraid they could get away with it.

It would tear the party apart and they have no one who is a better alternative.

Unless they can perfect Hologram Reagan.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Crain posted:

Oh it's just purposefully mixing Matt Walsh with Matt Welch.

Hilarious.

Ok.

Hilarious. And does nothing to change my mind of writing off Reason Magazine and their collective works.

You getting mad a person making a dumb joke was actually super funny, as is the fact that you're still a little mad about it

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
What are the signs of having a stroke again? Because I think I just had one.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Putin's nuclear is tippy top? Seriously?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SubponticatePoster posted:

What are the signs of having a stroke again? Because I think I just had one.

You smelling any toast?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nitrousoxide posted:

You smelling any toast?
:ohdear:

(although I made some earlier)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

WampaLord posted:

It would tear the party apart and they have no one who is a better alternative.

Unless they can perfect Hologram Reagan.

That's what I thought, but he's so ineffective that I begin to think even his supporters could mostly be convinced he should be replaced for tactical reasons. I do still think that there's no clear replacement, which is probably the only thing saving him.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

SubponticatePoster posted:

:ohdear:

(although I made some earlier)

Tasting copper?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Crain posted:

Look you can make bed fellows with all the White Nationalists and Holocaust deniers you want, god knows the GOP's Southern Strategy already comfortable with them enough to give them the keys to asylum.

But I don't find their ideas very worthwhile.

So do you avoid NPR because they interviewed 9/11 truthers or Vice because they interviewed neo-Nazis ? Are you going to start whittling down your news sources if they interview, gasp!, Trump supporters?

The idea that you would avoid a podcast because one of the guys is EIC in a libertarian magazine that dared include interviews with white nationalists and holocaust deniers amazes me. It's even funnier since if you deigned to listen to the podcast, you'd probably come away wondering why on earth someone would bend over backwards to associate the two (Welch and White Nationalists).

But again, have fun in your echochamber.

EDIT: Also, it includes a guy from Vice and a black guy from Freethink. But keep making assumptions because of one guy's involvement.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 15, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Amergin posted:

So do you avoid NPR because they interviewed 9/11 truthers or Vice because they interviewed neo-Nazis ? Are you going to start whittling down your news sources if they interview, gasp!, Trump supporters?

The idea that you would avoid a podcast because one of the guys is EIC in a libertarian magazine that dared include interviews with white nationalists and holocaust deniers amazes me. It's even funnier since if you deigned to listen to the podcast, you'd probably come away wondering why on earth someone would bend over backwards to associate the two (Welch and White Nationalists).

everyone filters their news sources based on something. no one has time to consume it all, yourself included

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Amergin posted:

The idea that you would avoid a podcast because one of the guys is EIC in a libertarian magazine that dared include interviews with white nationalists and holocaust deniers. It's even funnier since if you deigned to listen to the podcast, you'd probably come away wondering why on earth someone would bend over backwards to associate the two (Welch and White Nationalists).

Vice and NPR aren't a sympathetic ear to white nationalists and holocaust deniers, so you're talking apples and oranges here.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Talmonis posted:

Vice and NPR aren't a sympathetic ear to white nationalists and holocaust deniers, so you're talking apples and oranges here.

Please show me where Reason magazine was explicitly sympathetic to holocaust deniers.

EDIT:

emdash posted:

everyone filters their news sources based on something. no one has time to consume it all, yourself included

True! But I usually use... you know, "quality" as a filter, rather than "OHMYGAWD EW THIS GUY WAS INVOLVED IN SOMETHING I DON'T LIKE EW EW!"

There's a difference between general filtering and filtering for news that lines up with your ideology.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm starting to worry that the GOP will replace Trump with another candidate who can bask in the glow of not being Trump. A month ago I wouldn't have thought it possible, but he's just been so, so, so very bad that I'm afraid they could get away with it.

Replacing Trump at the convention through ratfuckery would piss off to all hell the Trump faithful and show the republican party establishment doesn't give a drat about its rank and file and is desperate as hell. It could possibly be the only disaster grander then the current train-wreck

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Amergin posted:

EDIT: Also, it includes a guy from Vice and a black guy from Freethink. But keep making assumptions because of one guy's involvement.

And there's the bad faith deflect. I didn't say anything about having a problem with them for who they interviewed. I have a problem with them for who they are.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

MariusLecter posted:

Putin's nuclear is tippy top? Seriously?

Aside from being moron word salad, he's also wrong, because we could get rid of all our bombers and land-based ICBMs and still wipe out Russia and China simultaneously with what we had left on submarines (14 subarines, each with 24 missiles, each missile with 8 warheads, each warhead about 20-30 Hiroshimas by itself...)

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Crain posted:

And there's the bad faith deflect. I didn't say anything about having a problem with them for who they interviewed. I have a problem with them for who they are.

Okay then, show me where Matt Welch himself sympathized with holocaust deniers and/or white nationalists.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

djw175 posted:

Tasting copper?
No, just the usual bile. Whew!

Like, a person who is a candidate for POTUS just referred to Russia's nuclear arsenal as "tippy-top." Every now and then you hear something so mind-bogglingly stupid your brain refuses to process it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

More bad faith deflecting.

Fly away little poo poo sponge.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm not worried about it at this point to be honest. If they tried to replace Trump at the convention it would literally result in militia uprisings and violent riots across the country. Even if the GOP were able to replace him the fallout would be the end of their party forever and they know it.

I would like to reiterate my stance that Trump is an addict on a binge and nothing more. Anything he says is designed to get him the most attention (preferably adulation) possible from as many people as possible, and nothing else.

You ever see what a hardcore heroin addict will do to get their fix? How deeply they will debase themselves and destroy everyone that cares about them in the process as long as it gets them one more fix? Well Trump is an addict and the GOP are his enablers, and he is going to debase himself and destroy the GOP with the kind of unflinching gusto that only a narcissist can summon.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

sean10mm posted:

An M1 Garand would be a much worse weapon for mass murder. It's heavy as gently caress, has much heavier recoil, the old-timey "en bloc" clips only hold 8 rounds, and it's easy to smash the gently caress out of your thumb while reloading if you're not careful. That's why the military moved away from massive .30 caliber battle rifles in the first place. They kick like mules, give you too few shots between reloads, and have more power than you really need if you just want to rapidly kill humans inside 300 yards. They're also harder to gain proficiency with than smaller, lighter assault rifles that don't kick nearly as hard.

Yeah, which is why banning weapons like the AR-15 (smaller caliber, high capacity, high velocity), something that was literally designed to kill as many people as possible inside of 100 yards by someone without much training before reloading would be good while you can still let people have as many M1's as they wanted.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

I'm not worried about it at this point to be honest. If they tried to replace Trump at the convention it would literally result in militia uprisings and violent riots across the country. Even if the GOP were able to replace him the fallout would be the end of their party forever and they know it.

It's far too late for the GOP to save their party by ousting Trump. He has their base and they aren't going to go back to the way things were now.

Even if they don't get uprisings they're going to suffer politically.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
after a few mins of googling the other people on that show, i'm pretty sure i'm not interested in hearing what they have to say

michael "college campuses are too PC" moynihan
kmele "all-white oscars are ok because there were too many blacks in other years" foster
matt "john mccain is a STATIST" welch

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Zelder posted:

yeah same. it's a very bizarre feeling to think "i could have died last night over what is essentially three dollars" and to semi relate it back to a political point, it's confusing to me that people will strap up to prevent that from happening. i hope this doesn't come across as victim blaming, because i understand the desire to protect yourself is pretty strong and inherent (and totally understandable), and I also understand that there are worse things a stranger can do than mug you, but i dunno. they have the element of surprise every time, and when someone rushes out of the shadows and puts a gun in your ribs, well you've pretty much lost the tactical advantage at that point. i suppose i could have like, flip kicked the gun out of his hand, jumped in the air, screamed "IT'S HIGH NOON" and merked all three of the dudes, but that seems unrealistic.

personal events influencing political opinions over here, y'all

I'm way behind reading this thread, but I had a really similar experience. No weapons were involved, but I got jumped by a couple of guys a while ago while walking home from a bar and got a mild beating before they took the cash out of my wallet and took off. I ended up needing some stitches and had a messed up jaw that took care of itself after a few weeks. It wasn't a big deal physically. Mentally it messed with me for a while. I felt unsafe walking on any empty street, even in broad daylight. For a while I would kind of fantasize about if I were armed and how I would react. Even though no weapons were involved (that I saw), like with you it happened so fast that I don't know it would have been any help, and even then, I'd rather lose $10 (or a lot more than $10) than have killed someone defending my property. Obviously I could have run into more bloodthirsty muggers who wanted to do more than take the money and run, in which case I would have felt justified in defending myself more. But for who I am, it bothers me to think that being armed could have escalated that into a deadly situation. I don't know the right or wrong of it, but it affirmed for me that I don't want any part of carrying a gun around.

Totally aside from this, but the victim blaming when I'd explain my stitches to people was astounding. The number of people who would just be like, "Well, you were walking alone at night, so obviously that's why it happened" or "Didn't you try to fight them off?" blew my mind. (I did fight them for a little, until my drunk mind caught up to me and was like, what the gently caress are you doing, dumbass? You're carrying $10 and a flip phone.) Gave me a whole new appreciation for the experience of sexual assault/rape survivors.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amergin posted:

Okay then, show me where Matt Welch himself sympathized with holocaust deniers and/or white nationalists.

https://pando.com/2014/07/24/as-reasons-editor-defends-its-racist-history-heres-a-copy-of-its-holocaust-denial-special-issue/

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Lmao.

Reason is garbage, just like all libertarians.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

"Aircraft carriers probably cost a million bucks." --The Republican presidential candidate, June 15 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There are going to be some pissed off militia folks if this thing where people on the terrorist watch list can't buy guns thing actually takes off. And it will be amazing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Luigi Thirty posted:

"Aircraft carriers probably cost a million bucks." --The Republican presidential candidate, June 15 2016

Did Trump just say that? Did he really?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

You're joking, right?

I seriously can't tell anymore with these people.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
he really said it, yes, according to the people livetweeting his speech

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

emdash posted:

I spend my mornings with Rachel Maddows show and my Evenings with Glenn becks show. Its pretty great not having a social filter. I thought getting a wide range of opinions and using your own critical thinking to discern what might sort of resemble the truth was pretty much adult.txt. The worst thing the internet did was put people in touch with people who think and act exactly as they do, so everyone just lives in one echo chamber or another.

(Not to be confused with "The truth is in the middle", reality of course may show up anywhere on the political spectrum)

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
In other news, Michele Fiore lost her bid for the US House of Reps

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

For reference: The modern Gerald R. Ford class carriers cost $36 Billion for the program and $10 Billion per ship.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I spend my mornings with Rachel Maddow and my Evenings with Glenn beck. . I thought getting a wide range of opinions and using your own critical thinking to discern what might sort of resemble the truth was pretty much adult.txt. The worst thing the internet did was put people in touch with people who think and act exactly as they do, so everyone just lives in one echo chamber or another.

putting up with glenn beck is just an inefficient use of your time/critical thinking energy tho

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I spend my mornings with Rachel Maddows show and my Evenings with Glenn becks show. Its pretty great not having a social filter. I thought getting a wide range of opinions and using your own critical thinking to discern what might sort of resemble the truth was pretty much adult.txt. The worst thing the internet did was put people in touch with people who think and act exactly as they do, so everyone just lives in one echo chamber or another.

And it's the KKK newsletter for lunch right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

MattD1zzl3 posted:

After reading crazy ramblings from the same set of people a few times, it's generally ok to disregard certain opinions as bankrupt. That's also an adult thing to do.

• Locked thread