Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

YF-23 posted:

Yeah seriously if you look at FN's meteoric rise and somehow think Schauble is dousing that flame instead of fanning it up you're a complete idiot.

Schäuble, standing in a burning house that's starting to collapse: "I am doing a fantastic job fighting this fire."

GC: "My god I can't wait to be invited into that stunning display of architectural integrity."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tesseraction posted:

Schäuble, standing in a burning house that's starting to collapse: "I am doing a fantastic job fighting this fire."

GC: "My god I can't wait to be invited into that stunning display of architectural integrity."
Schäuble wouldn't stand.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Low blow.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Schäuble wouldn't stand.

:eyepop:

I'd forgotten he was in a chair. All the news he's in has him from the shoulders up.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I was merely stating a cold hard fact. No statement made in service of the truth can be considered a sin in the eyes of God and the German people.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Which (major) European country has populists polling lower than in Germany?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

That's pretty good covering your rear end with "(major)", but the context here was the influence Schauble has on Euro economies, not the German economy.

That said I don't think you should really be holding too tightly on your narrative anyway what with AfD gaining steam.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

What other country in Europe has had an economic golden age for almost a decade and has a record low unemployment rate? If you think the AfD is bad now wait till you see what happens when the German people are confronted with actual, real problems and real, actual hardship.

Von Null auf Hitler in 10 Sekunden.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

waitwhatno posted:

What other country in Europe has had an economic golden age for almost a decade and has a record low unemployment rate? If you think the AfD is bad now wait till you see what happens when the German people are confronted with actual, real problems and real, actual hardship.

Von Null auf Hitler in 10 Sekunden.

Den Röhmputsch hatten wir ja schon (the ALFA shitshow).

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrSunshine posted:

I'm interested in the Swiss basic income referendum. Is there somewhere in this thread or on D&D where it was being actively discussed? Thanks!

I don't think it was. It didn't pass after all, so what's there to discuss? Aside from from direct democracy being a thing in Switzerland.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

They should've bundled it with a ban on hijabs and then it might have passed.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Greece is treating refugees so badly that they rather return to Syria. For shame Greece, for shame!

http://bigstory.ap.org/a2180b8a6a2f4baaa33be60fc60861a1

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Greece is treating refugees so badly that they rather return to Syria. For shame Greece, for shame!

http://bigstory.ap.org/a2180b8a6a2f4baaa33be60fc60861a1

"Mwahahahaha raus, raus!" said the German about a ethno-religious group in 193 2016.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Back those economic migrants go, to their warzone.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

GC, your post might have worked better if you weren't waving pom-poms around when Macedonia, Hungary etc. were building walls.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Starving to death in Greece, bombed or beheaded in Syria? It's all to the same end for GC, stroking his blond-speckled chin with glee.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

YF-23 posted:

GC, your post might have worked better if you weren't waving pom-poms around when Macedonia, Hungary etc. were building walls.

No. I believe Greece is responsible for the refugees and should take care of them. It would even be a Keynesian stimulus if you cut the wages of public employees to give the money to refugees.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The invisible hand of the arbeit-macht-frei market will sort it out.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Now we see the virtue in following Brüning's ordoliberal ideas: by turning Greece into a shithole, the brown horde of mosselmans is effortlessly pushed back!

GaussianCopula posted:

No. I believe Greece is responsible for the refugees and should take care of them. It would even be a Keynesian stimulus if you cut the wages of public employees to give the money to refugees.

Yes, great idea! What Greece desperately need right now is for all officials to get paid so little that they have no choice but to rely on bribes as their primary source of income! More corruption is always great!

Very nice of you to redefine austerity as Keynesianism, though. You've managed to claim that cutting wages was a stimulus, which is a really impressive level of dishonesty.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

GaussianCopula posted:

Wow. Just.... wow. I didn't think I could be surprised by your BS and intellectual dishonestoy anymore, and here we are.

VVVV Probably!

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 14, 2016

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Dawncloack posted:

Wow. Just.... wow. I didn't think I could be surprised by your BS and intellectual dishonestoy anymore, and here we are.

goddamn this is possibly the most easily trolled thread in D&D

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Very nice of you to redefine austerity as Keynesianism, though. You've managed to claim that cutting wages was a stimulus, which is a really impressive level of dishonesty.

You are redistributing the wealth from a wealthier to a poorer group, according to your arguments, this will lead to more direct spending, which is a Keynesian stimulus. The state still spends the exact same amount of money.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That would only be true if you didn't redistribute the wealth from people who are already spending all they've got.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Cat Mattress posted:

That would only be true if you didn't redistribute the wealth from people who are already spending all they've got.

If Greek public employees get paid so little that they're all living paycheck to paycheck, that's a pretty bad situation already. No wonder they couldn't afford to take care of the refugees

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

YF-23 posted:

Yeah seriously if you look at FN's meteoric rise and somehow think Schauble is dousing that flame instead of fanning it up you're a complete idiot.
If by meteoric raise you mean slow as gently caress but constant rise since the mid-80s... It's meteoric if you never followed French politic until recently.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
You are right in that it's not meteoric, that was probably hyperbole.

The underlying point stands, though, periods of impoverishment of the working class and economic crisis tend to be a boon for ugly right wing forces. Considering that the impoverisment is happening in big part by the EU's Markets über alles policies I think that the resurgence of the right wing can be justly, if not directly attribured to those who pull the strings in the EU.

Also Schauble is a hateful individual.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

I particularly like the results for Poland and Hungary.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

Haha that is amazing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's amazing is how difficult they made it read the map!

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

I think you will find that muslims are over represented by a factor 4-5 in most negative statistics (unemployment, crime etc.). Public perception of the muslim population is simply automatically correcting for this over representation. So kuddos for Western Europe, truly the vanguard for politically correct double think!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hahaha, the French public thinks that every third person in France is a Muslim.

Also, Germany's Muslim population has declined since 2010, but that may be due to the census we had a couple of years ago. And it's probably back to 6% with the recent refugee wave anyway.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I like how my country thinks 1 in every 5 people is an accursed Islamic.

Nyandaber Z
Apr 8, 2009

waitwhatno posted:

Hahaha, the French public thinks that every third person in France is a Muslim.

It's not hard to have that perception when you walk around big cities, where most of the arabs live. And islam has been a recurrent topic in the medias those last years, so even outside big cities you hear a lot about it, it shapes a lot the perception.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
A story that seems to have, strangely, found prevalence with the wider public (I've heard several, and the most unlikely, people bring it up as an example for pro Brexit) is about a Hovercraft company in the UK that are being restricted in making potential massive profits by selling their Hovercrafts in Mexico, because the EU wont let them.

I'd a quick search to see what this was all about and I see that the EU Recreation Craft Directive excludes "Air Cushion Vehicles", which means the CE stamp cant be used re hovercrafts. What I cant seem to find out is if this exclusion is just because 'Air Cushion Vehicle' standards haven't been addressed as of yet, or if there's a specific concern or issue with them that don't allow them as part of the directive.

Anyone know? And anyone know how this specific business story found so much attention?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Nyandaber Z posted:

It's not hard to have that perception when you walk around big cities, where most of the arabs live. And islam has been a recurrent topic in the medias those last years, so even outside big cities you hear a lot about it, it shapes a lot the perception.

Yeah, I can totally see how these numbers could come about. Immigrants are extremely overrepresented in low paid manual labor and we see these people(car mechanics, cashiers, janitors, windows cleaners, construction workers, etc.) disproportionally more often in public daily life, than we see pale Teutonic/Anglo-Saxon/Gallic office workers.

Still funny as hell though. 31% Muslim population is just so ridiculous, it would mean that, on average, every third person you walk past in Paris would be a Muslim. :wtc:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

waitwhatno posted:

Still funny as hell though. 31% Muslim population is just so ridiculous, it would mean that, on average, every third person you walk past in Paris would be a Muslim. :wtc:

Would explain why the police were so quick to pull out the tear gas on the British fans. Sharia dictates these drunkards should be punished for their haraam actions.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Nyandaber Z posted:

waitwhatno posted:

Yeah, I can totally see how these numbers could come about. Immigrants are extremely overrepresented in low paid manual labor and we see these people(car mechanics, cashiers, janitors, windows cleaners, construction workers, etc.) disproportionally more often in public daily life, than we see pale Teutonic/Anglo-Saxon/Gallic office workers.

And you remember unusual stuff better. You pass ten German dudes and they're just background, you pass one woman in a headscarf or a guy wearing one of those white gowns, that's gonna stick out.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You don't need to be in a big city to have a lot of Muslims around. I live in a small city (only ~5000 people in the city proper) and there is a whole Moroccan district in the center. (Oddly enough, we also have a bunch of Japanese.)

Confusion
Apr 3, 2009

MeKeV posted:

A story that seems to have, strangely, found prevalence with the wider public (I've heard several, and the most unlikely, people bring it up as an example for pro Brexit) is about a Hovercraft company in the UK that are being restricted in making potential massive profits by selling their Hovercrafts in Mexico, because the EU wont let them.

I'd a quick search to see what this was all about and I see that the EU Recreation Craft Directive excludes "Air Cushion Vehicles", which means the CE stamp cant be used re hovercrafts. What I cant seem to find out is if this exclusion is just because 'Air Cushion Vehicle' standards haven't been addressed as of yet, or if there's a specific concern or issue with them that don't allow them as part of the directive.

Anyone know? And anyone know how this specific business story found so much attention?

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent-business/county-news/british-hover-craft-boss-joins-leave-campaign-97076/

She is for leaving the EU, but basically all her arguments are pro EU. (i.e. trade agreements and common safety regulations)

I especially like:

quote:

“We have had inquiries from Brazil but the import duty there is 80%, which means we are uncompetitive. Brazil is an emerging market but the EU has a no trade agreement with them and has been trying to get one for 18 years.

This is solved by brexit how exactly ? The UK magically suddenly has trade agreements with everybody?

And the whole CE argument is incoherent at best. Brexit will cause CE to stop existing? The UK will suddenly control the regulations? EU countries will suddenly not require it anymore?

Confusion fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I like how my country thinks 1 in every 5 people is an accursed Islamic.

If they did the survey in London that would be more understandable.