Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanks. Sadly can't watch it at the moment.

Sucks for Ruslan but Molina did well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Catching up with some recentish action, this Keith Tapia-Andrew Tabiti fight on Showtime last month is a ridiculous farce. Jay Nady is yelling at these dudes at least three times a round for one thing or another, not always for any good reason, but often because they can't handle basic things like not throwing the other dude to the canvas or not bashing their heads together.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Lomachenko is the truth.

Shame about Provo but blocking punches with your face all your career doesn't end well. He might still fail upwards and get some big fights now the risk is gone.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iptUlkBDPHM

This is... It's a weird meet up between Fury and Klitschko. It's very tense, but strangely I think there's at least some kind of understanding here on Wlad's end.

I'm pretty interested in the rematch, I've also completely ignored Fury outside of the ring though.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

would love to see wlad win the rematch tbh. don't think he has it in him to throw more though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbJxscKb3SU

here's the loma fight without commentary which is so clearly the best way to watch fights. tv needs to start offering this as an option

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Chris Arreola just signed to fight Deontay Wilder on July 16th in Alabama in the aftermath of Alex Povetkin's failed drug test. Arreola isn't ranked in the top 15 in the WBC and last fought 7 months ago, an Arreola MD decision win over Travis Kaufman which was changed to a no decision after Arreola failed a drug test.

Arreola has about a month to "get in shape". If he shows up lighter than 250 pounds I'd be shocked. Most likely he comes in at 265 and gets sparked out in 2 rounds.

The Povetkin situation sucks, but this is a pretty bad fight. There were probably a half a dozen guys that would be better than Arreola.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 14, 2016

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

He's a name, which is sadly the only thing still going for him. I used to be a big fan of his too, but it's hard to support a guy who shows up in fighting shape maybe one fight in five.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iptUlkBDPHM

This is... It's a weird meet up between Fury and Klitschko. It's very tense, but strangely I think there's at least some kind of understanding here on Wlad's end.

I'm pretty interested in the rematch, I've also completely ignored Fury outside of the ring though.

Some real talk coming from Fury in this video.

He's a guy who has always claimed to have mental problems, and I think he's someone who motivates himself by having a chip on his shoulder. Some of the discussions I've seen him have with other fighters in press conferences have come off as genuinely heated, like Fury feels it's his mission to tell things to the other fighter. In this video it's visible; he at times seems to resent Klitschko for claiming Wlad didn't have his best night. A big part of him seemed to want Klitschko to acknowledge him as the better fighter, or at least the fighter with the better game plan. When Klitschko didn't, he downplayed how much the rematch mattered to him.

It's also interesting how he downplays the meaningfulness of his own accomplishment of becoming heavyweight champion, as if a part of him feels that if he can't be seen as the better fighter then the title doesn't mean anything anyway. Fury got to the top of the sport and almost instantly was criticized for media comments about gays and women, had people petition to strip awards from him, and immediately had to defend his titles against the guy he beat. That's a lot of whiplash for someone coming off the pinnacle moment of their career, let alone the pinnacle of a global sport like boxing.

I've been a fan of Fury for a while, in spite of his disgusting comments. He's someone that has struggled very publicly with himself; I admire that he has the courage to face it openly. I hope he keeps fighting on, win or lose, but I won't blame him if he retires early with his health and finances intact. I'd pick him over Wilder or Joshua (or Haye) if any of them were to fight him today.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 15, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I thought Wlad was interesting in that video as well. He didn't acknowledge Fury as besting him, but he did seem to give Fury a lot more respect.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Our press rightly bash Fury for the dumb poo poo he said and still says, but the words are harmless ultimately.
They don't say jack poo poo about Anthony Joshua being an ex drug dealer, which is infinitely more sinister.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
It's good Anthony Joshua has found an endeavor to devote himself too so he doesn't have to sell drugs or commit crimes to live, imo. Also wasn't it weed he was caught with? British people are so uptight.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I don't know a huge amount about Joshua's past, but selling weed doesn't seem all that 'sinister' when compared to most american boxers.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

He got caught with a load of weed and got community service or something lol. Biggest criminal is Fury's uncle/trainer Peter, he's done serious time, proper fookin gangster.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
How many people did Martin Murray kill that he can never fight in the US. Like its apparently a total non starter.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the press love a rags to riches boxing story anyway

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Fury's right in saying that Irish Travellers are the only minority group in the UK that's seen as fine to mock and discriminate against. You'd think that'd give him some perspective however....

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The SituAsian posted:

How many people did Martin Murray kill that he can never fight in the US. Like its apparently a total non starter.

i don't think Murray ever did one thing really serious he's just got a list as long as your arm for various dickhead behaviour, the typical in and out of prison as a youngster type

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/743475478225371136

Commence hyperventilation in 3,2,1

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

How literally the gently caress have I never seen this before?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Allen Wren posted:

How literally the gently caress have I never seen this before?

Macho Camacho?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

I don't like him, but holy poo poo the balls on Andre Ward to take this fight. This is the kind of poo poo boxing fans should be clamoring for, so it's awesome that he was willing to step up and fight the loving man at 175.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Took him long enough

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Monday Bandele posted:

Took him long enough

???

this fight's been unofficially a thing for like 8 months

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's a great fight and if Ward wins it his legacy will get a huge boost. IMO a victory over Kovalev will make him the clear p4p best fighter in the sport. Legacy-wise it will give him a win that will hold up with some of the best of Floyd's accomplishments.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

Macho Camacho?

Yeah. Seen here about to get completely embarrassed by Oscar De La Hoya. I knew of the dude, I had no idea he came to the ring dressed like a cross between a Power Ranger and a reject from a Mad Max movie.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

???

this fight's been unofficially a thing for like 8 months

I mean't that he's had like 3 fights in 4 years, one of them against the worst Smith brother

What's the deal with that?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

A mix of promotional issues and Ward thinking he's a bigger name than he is in boxing.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also I think one time he had to pull out of a fight because of an injury

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Allen Wren posted:

Yeah. Seen here about to get completely embarrassed by Oscar De La Hoya. I knew of the dude, I had no idea he came to the ring dressed like a cross between a Power Ranger and a reject from a Mad Max movie.

I was a kid around the time these fights were going on, I miss the old Mexican vs Puerto Rican rivalries.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Macho Camacho was really good before he got roided up and on other drugs as well. If only Salvador Sanchez hadn't died young, that would have been a great fight.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol Fonfara

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
drat, I thought fonfara was better than that. Two knock downs and a stoppage in the first round.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

this joe smith jr seems like a nice lad. pleased for him

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

First round KOs are always a little fluky but drat.

Fonfara's already proven himself as no pushover, so who the hell is this other guy?

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Looked like Fonfara was trying to establish a typical inside game and got careless coming out. I'm not going to pretend to know who Smith is. His record is nondescript (including his only loss, a TKO early in his career) but he's only 26, so maybe he can build off of this? :confused: Maybe a rematch with a less careless Fonfara yields a more predicable result.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I think Fonfara just got caught to be honest. It looked like he was just in there with a guy who can punch and both of them were trading pretty frequently.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Looks like Fonfara was getting the better of smith until he got a bit overeager.

Fair play to smith though, based on the interview he had a good plan and executed it perfectly.

That said I can't loving believe a long island union worker just won did round 1 upset tko to win a title

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Fonfara tried to throw a left uppercut but he did it by dropping his arm to bring it back up instead of level changing like you're supposed to and ate a right hook on the jaw. That's the same way Frazier knocked Ali down in their first bout, but with a left hook to counter a right uppercut.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Well Thurman-Porter sure snuck up on us. I don't even know who to pick. Would have leaned One Time for the past few years but they have both been so inactive -and their last fights unsatisfying in their own ways- that I just have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The SituAsian posted:

Well Thurman-Porter sure snuck up on us. I don't even know who to pick. Would have leaned One Time for the past few years but they have both been so inactive -and their last fights unsatisfying in their own ways- that I just have no idea.

I dunno, I thought Porter looked pretty decent against Broner (obviously you don't want him almost getting KTFO, but he got up from that and showed heart).

I've always liked Thurman (even though the knockouts haven't been present for a bit now), so I can't find it in myself to dog on him.

• Locked thread