Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Indecisive posted:

yeah sometimes that happens when playing reinhardt, often I find myself just saying 'gently caress it' and start killing people and I wind up with top kills and damage while my team whines about what a 'bad tank' i am

You're a bad tank because you're trying to win the game, and as Reinhardt you're supposed to move forward, wondering where your team is before being rushed by 5 defenders.

Hint: Your team is all on top of rooftops, trying to snipe with Reaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've seen way too many Reapers trying to snipe

By which I mean like four, but that's still too far

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I shoot at dudes that I know are too far away for me to kill because chip damage still helps me built ult (and occasionally get free kills off of 1 damage)

obviously you shouldn't do it when you're flanking, but if you're not in a position to do that and there are dudes there that can see you anyway, you have no reason not to shoot them

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I shoot at dudes that I know are too far away for me to kill because chip damage still helps me built ult (and occasionally get free kills off of 1 damage)

obviously you shouldn't do it when you're flanking, but if you're not in a position to do that and there are dudes there that can see you anyway, you have no reason not to shoot them

reposting my lovely potg because this is terribly relevant to the convo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8V7w9FLeNQ

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

It took almost 190 matches played until I got to play on Hollywood.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Tried Zarya for the first time and holy poo poo she is so much more fun than the other tanks.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Manatee Cannon posted:

lol It's cool when you do it sometimes. I just had a game last night where there were two Reapers and a Tracer just chilling on the rooftops, picking health off of people while a Reinhardt, Lucio and D.Va tried to take the objective.

So I'm still a little bitter.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Indecisive posted:

yeah sometimes that happens when playing reinhardt, often I find myself just saying 'gently caress it' and start killing people and I wind up with top kills and damage while my team whines about what a 'bad tank' i am

I play a lot of reinhardt with friends and even with them sometimes i just switch to reaper or something and crash the point. The other team can sometimes force reinhardt into a situation where he is a bad pick, because they are doing a very good job flanking your team and messing up their cohesion. If there is no friendly damage going through your shield, you are not really doing your job, and you can probably mix things up by going reaper, 76, hog, or winston.

Sometimes going all out offensive with him can work though as on some maps there are a lot of spots to corner squishy characters and just hammer them to death.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

Tried Zarya for the first time and holy poo poo she is so much more fun than the other tanks.

Zarya loving owns and anyone who avoids playing her because she's a muscle-woman is a god drat idiot. When I'm playing Zarya I like to think about how I feel when I'm playing a different character and round a corner into the face of the opposing team's fully-charged Zarya. I imagine it's like how the demons feel about Doomguy in DOOM. There is literally no one in the game who makes the enemy panic and backpedal harder than Zarya.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

Yes. Yes, she is. I think Rein is about as fun to play as watching paint dry and Winston doesn't really help too much uncoordinated players to get anywhere but Zarya is great, strong and powerful.

She's also a massive "gently caress you" to teams that wanna do turret BS on defense. Nah, lemme fill up my charge then lob grenades on all y'all.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

The Jumpoff posted:

I don't want better teammates, I want teammates I can do dumb poo poo with.

Do dumb poo poo in pubs Tia

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think if reinhardt isn't working for your team comp (outside of king of the hill) then your team is probably doing something wrong or at least making the game harder on yourselves through your picks - moving cover is such a strong mechanic that if your team is too focused on flank play to use it then you are putting yourself in kind of an uphill battle.

Unless the enemy team has like 3 bastions cuz theres no way reinhardt is accomplishing anything in that scenario.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zoness posted:

I think if reinhardt isn't working for your team comp then your team is probably doing something wrong.

When I say it people get pissy. :colbert:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Do weapons that self damage hurt your team mates too?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

reinhardt is 100% dependent on his team to do anything but he's really fun when the team doesn't leave him to die

yea you can get some sweet earthshatters in even if nobody's helping you, but it charges slow and it's hard to build so mostly you're just standing there waiting to die while your team ignores you. even people that try to make use of the shield tend to walk through it and stand where they can get shot half the time. I like him best on payload since I can stand on the cart and my team is basically forced to hide behind my shield

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I mean to elaborate if you aren't getting mileage out of using reinhardt it means you lack a front line presence, since most threats to reinhardt should die faster than reinhardt himself. That's not to assume that pushing with a reinhardt is absolutely correct in every scenario, but it is definitely a mistake to pick a hero that so clearly draws a mobile line of battle for you and then not use that bulwark.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 15, 2016

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

There's no friendly fire at all in this.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

no, and self-harm doesn't even charge zarya's gun if she shields you from it

self-harm is never ok

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think Zarya-Pharah needs any more synergy. Blocking self damage from rocket boosting seems pretty good already given how often projected barriers time out.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Reinhardt really does need a way to spam the voice line he already says the first time he activates it: "Get behind me! My shield will protect you!"

"Get behind me! My shield will protect you!"

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I love when I get a Reinhardt on my team

And he proceeds to spend the entire game charging into enemies and being useless

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So Zarya's basic gun is a tickle beam, until your shields absorb damage and charges it? How can I tell charge %? Is that just my super %? Just trying to get me head around how the game works.

I do like that Torbjorn has a respectable gun and a bigger emphasis on actively responding to the enemy rather than setting up a god turret and turtling.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So Zarya's basic gun is a tickle beam, until your shields absorb damage and charges it? How can I tell charge %? Is that just my super %? Just trying to get me head around how the game works.

There's a number under your crosshairs that goes from 0 to 100. The higher the number the higher your energy

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I do like that Torbjorn has a respectable gun and a bigger emphasis on actively responding to the enemy rather than setting up a god turret and turtling.

Did you know when you play zarya there is a number in your crosshairs

also your crosshairs get bigger and cooler looking

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

It's literally in the middle of your screen.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Yeah and the charge % is shown around your aiming reticle.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Theres a number under your crosshair starting at 0 and goes up with charge. Its kind of hard to notice at first.

Mostly just stick to M2 until you have a pretty heavy charge. The gun behaves super shiftily without near full charge.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

there's a number on the reticle in the center of your screen that shows you your charge %

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Something something middle of your screen

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Oh, well I'm an idiot then. Thanks!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dizz posted:

And he proceeds to spend the entire game charging into enemies and being useless

Its kind of counterintuitive that the best Reinhardts are probably going to have the lowest score in every category except possibly objective time.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dizz posted:

We faced a Reinhardt like that today and he almost single-handedly dismantled us in a couple of games, he had his ult up constantly from all the damage he did and he just hammered people down left and right. Guy was legit terrifying.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
It's in the options under 'Sound'.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kanfy posted:

We faced a Reinhardt like that today and he almost single-handedly dismantled us in a couple of games, he had his ult up constantly from all the damage he did and he just hammered people down left and right. Guy was legit terrifying.

Every Reinhardt thinks they're that Reinhardt. Instead they rocket boost past the person they were trying to hit and get instantly killed by the entire other team. Then your healer/damage dealers hiding behind the shield that he abandoned are killed as well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Its kind of counterintuitive that the best Reinhardts are probably going to have the lowest score in every category except possibly objective time.

damage blocked

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

How to git gud with Symmetra.
Required viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4uUTnfFKes

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

hobbesmaster posted:

Every Reinhardt thinks they're that Reinhardt. Instead they rocket boost past the person they were trying to hit and get instantly killed by the entire other team. Then your healer/damage dealers hiding behind the shield that he abandoned are killed as well.

This is me. :negative:

Sometimes I'm a bloody monster with Reinhardt, the other 75% of the time I think I'm being hot poo poo when I'm just being warm rubbish. I have an itchy boost finger. :(

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah, now that i have a lot of time played with him, I rarely do this, though i still sometimes make a mistake and misjudge how many bad guys are there. Every now and then though you'll see and opening and its so much goddamn fun. As long as your team is also somewhere near by, if you can catch their healer and pin them near a couple other squishy characters, you can do a tremendous amount of damage if you have an ult ready.

What is also always fun is aiming wrong on a charge and not having the right angle to pin someone near the team, and instead you shove them for almost the whole charge and pin them deep behind the line. I have literally then gone on to kill snipers and such because people are stupid and somehow missed the giant knight man rocketing past them with one of their teammates screaming.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

This is me. :negative:

Sometimes I'm a bloody monster with Reinhardt, the other 75% of the time I think I'm being hot poo poo when I'm just being warm rubbish. I have an itchy boost finger. :(

Same except 100%. :ssh:

I once rocket boosted an enemy Reinhardt off a cliff at the start of route 66, that was kinda funny at least. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

Same except 100%. :ssh:

I once rocket boosted an enemy Reinhardt off a cliff at the start of route 66, that was kinda funny at least. :shrug:

if you're on offense this is a pretty big time gain so that seems reasonable