Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I'M VERY MAD ABOUT WRONG SHIPS

X
X
X

nah, it's cute

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Gotta mix it up every now and then.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
tru dat

X

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I have caught up with Zep on CG s2, and read his impressions. I agree with him on just about every point. S2 is aggravatingly melodramatic. I just want the idols to have fun, interact, and maybe occasionally perform. Instead, we have a villain, the future's uncertain, and everything is gray all the time. Boo.

Mishiro is a bad boss. Wanting her company to have a more unified brand and to turn more reliable profits, these aren't bad things; the way she goes about it all, how dismissive she is of lower and middle management's concerns, how suddenly her decisions are announced, how focused she is on short-term profitability, these make her a bad executive. Her plans are doomed even if our heroines fail. She's a tyrant, and her underlings will undermine her every chance they get, as Producer is with his alliances with other departments.

In general, the direction is underwhelming. Lots of still shots, which would be fine if the moving parts were more charming or technically impressive, but they're (mostly) not, and an over reliance on stock techniques such as Zep's hated rain don't help. Maybe this was all present in s1 and I wasn't paying as much attention due to synchrowatching it, but either way I'd expect an upgrade in animation in s2, and a refocusing on s1's strengths instead of doubling down on its weaknesses.

All that said, I wasn't nearly as down on ep 18 as the zepster. The lows were certainly low, but - the ankira! The ankira. I died.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thank you friends. Please see the conclusion during tomorrow's episode of the Wednesday frog

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Fumika will win that fight.

Daily reminder Uzuki and Rin are two great tastes that go better together.

AU where the idols are magicians, please.

Uzuki is saying "I'm Uzumeow!"

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
MIREI FINALLY

HUZZAH

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Sylphid posted:

Fumika will win that fight.

Daily reminder Uzuki and Rin are two great tastes that go better together.

AU where the idols are magicians, please.

All v. true except lol gryffindor uzuki

:/ poo poo luck @ gatcha, poo poo luck @ mirei getting, but uh what the hell

how do you find yourself with an unidolized r sachiko as your best option for the cool performer slot?

I do however respect the decision to just put down the phone and walk away lol

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/AT2M/status/742749911066648576

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Lame, thought I was within reach of getting Riko with having to spend a loveca for her. Guess not, since it looks like everyone rushed today.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'mma do it, I'mma get Riko. A fortuitous level means that spending what I have now should put me around 17500. One gem might be enough, two probably will be, so I think I'll burn three, which really isn't a bad price at all for an SR of the cutest Aqours girl.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
DANCING DANCING NON-STOP MY DANCING

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
https://twitter.com/tehamint/status/742770276270759936

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

DANCING DANCING NON-STOP MY DANCING

Non-stop?

I thought it was don't stop....

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Non-stop?

I thought it was don't stop....

Same, but I looked it up when I first wanted to post that in a LINE chat a few days ago, and nope.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

With the one more EX play I'll be able to squeeze in before the event ends putting me over 19k, I should be good.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

In general, the direction is underwhelming. Lots of still shots, which would be fine if the moving parts were more charming or technically impressive, but they're (mostly) not, and an over reliance on stock techniques such as Zep's hated rain don't help. Maybe this was all present in s1 and I wasn't paying as much attention due to synchrowatching it, but either way I'd expect an upgrade in animation in s2, and a refocusing on s1's strengths instead of doubling down on its weaknesses.

I can only recall 2 instances of rain in CG.

The Mio arc in episode 7 and the final episode because obviously things can't go well for our protags.

Though I remember Polsy postin' a picture of a whiteboard in the show that actually stated there was a chance of rain, so I guess there was technically foreshadowing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Guess I misread my rank cause I got Riko.

Also Strawberry Trapper!!!

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I can only recall 2 instances of rain in CG.

The Mio arc in episode 7 and the final episode because obviously things can't go well for our protags.

Though I remember Polsy postin' a picture of a whiteboard in the show that actually stated there was a chance of rain, so I guess there was technically foreshadowing.

You're thinking of/he's talking about "it's dark and damp and miserable, like my soul" metaphor-rain.
The end of season/forecast rain is normal "ruined your outdoors plans, maybe" rain. Totally different types of rain.

That said, I'm not sure why you'd expect the 2nd season of something to have better animation on the whole. Less awful CG, yeah. IM@s doesn't really seem to use CG, which is kinda interesting.

Like, Aikatsu or pripara do and you say "yeah, makes sense to use your game engine to animate performances. Just like my japanese animesvideo games at the arcade!" But nothing really stood out as being particularly CG in CG, much less the 1st IM@S (which makes sense, because oh my god that'd be terrible and definitely not fit in with the overall style (ps have I mentioned how much I like that they more or less kept the "it's like we're filming this" appearance throughout?))

Going off memory, I'd say "CG is pretty consistent except for shifting the focus of the drama in the second half, and that's a good thing, overall." Although having gone through the Chihaya arc again (and thus, as far as I can recall, being done with Kuroi's bit) that's basically the same goddamn drama, isn't it?. It's mostly dickwaving over managerial approaches which also sorta runs down a few idols as collateral damage (at least temporarily). I suppose the difference is, IM@S doesn't dedicate an entire half a series to it (because it has to jump to another main storyline); CG's sorta macro-focused, so it can't really put Mishiro's bit to bed and jump over to any individual plotline (because that would be somewhat inconsistent).

Still, they kinda follow pretty similar arcs if you step back far enough, don't they?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zenostein posted:

You're thinking of/he's talking about "it's dark and damp and miserable, like my soul" metaphor-rain.
The end of season/forecast rain is normal "ruined your outdoors plans, maybe" rain. Totally different types of rain.

The rain was a tool to create drama.

Sure, it wasn't a tool to express drama like in Mio's arc, but I'm very touchy about rain. Rain has a bad rep because of anime and also because I loving hate rain but I'm sure farmers all over the world are distraught when they hear about people not liking rain in idol anime.

Zenostein posted:

That said, I'm not sure why you'd expect the 2nd season of something to have better animation on the whole. Less awful CG, yeah. IM@s doesn't really seem to use CG, which is kinda interesting.

Like, Aikatsu or pripara do and you say "yeah, makes sense to use your game engine to animate performances. Just like my japanese animesvideo games at the arcade!" But nothing really stood out as being particularly CG in CG, much less the 1st IM@S (which makes sense, because oh my god that'd be terrible and definitely not fit in with the overall style (ps have I mentioned how much I like that they more or less kept the "it's like we're filming this" appearance throughout?))

Well, I think Can't is mainly thinking of Love Live in this regard, which had a huge upswing in quality, at least in CG. Hell, I'm not really one to have an eye for art and even I could tell that the CG improved leaps and bounds in LL. Granted, CG doesn't actually use CG that much, like you said.

Zenostein posted:

Going off memory, I'd say "CG is pretty consistent except for shifting the focus of the drama in the second half, and that's a good thing, overall." Although having gone through the Chihaya arc again (and thus, as far as I can recall, being done with Kuroi's bit) that's basically the same goddamn drama, isn't it?. It's mostly dickwaving over managerial approaches which also sorta runs down a few idols as collateral damage (at least temporarily). I suppose the difference is, IM@S doesn't dedicate an entire half a series to it (because it has to jump to another main storyline); CG's sorta macro-focused, so it can't really put Mishiro's bit to bed and jump over to any individual plotline (because that would be somewhat inconsistent).

Still, they kinda follow pretty similar arcs if you step back far enough, don't they?

At work, and still haven't finished CG so I'll get back on this later.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I think it's reasonable to expect the second season of a wildly popular thing (that applied to Cinderella Girls, I think) to look better than the first. Love Live, yes, but also K-On, Haruhi, the first few seasons of Monogatari; these all had noticeable upgrades to their animation, and not just to CG. I feel like in Cinderella Girls' case, it's mostly a matter of uninspired direction. The cute moments in the show are relying on already-designed cute characters and cute character designs to be cute, rather than trying to animate them especially cutely. The dramatic moments don't have similarly sturdy crutches in the writing to lean on, so they come off especially flat.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 15, 2016

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
At the very least, I recall that the first season of CG had some serious issues being properly animated at the end, with some episodes being broadcast at different levels of completion based on how early or late that week they had to be delivered to certain broadcasters. Then they had that cour break to allow the production staff to catch up and deliver a more consistent animation experience for S2.

IIRC.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
oh, was it only a single season break between s1 & s2? That means it was all planned - and to some extent worked on - simultaneously, which would explain why there's no upgrade.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

It seems like im@s as a whole is deliberately avoiding CG, which is fine with me as long as they can keep the drawn animation good enough. Hate to think how much time/people M@STERPIECE took, though.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Was K-on actually intended to be two series' from the get-go, though? CG was one whole thing with a couple months in between, wasn't it? I'd be kinda shocked if there was a sudden upswing in quality (setting aside "oops, we'll color in/place them into the scene later" stuff). I mean, I certainly wouldn't argue that it relies pretty heavily on "this character's like this" more than in creating (or probably adding to) a character, but I also wouldn't really think that's what they were after.

I kinda feel like a game adaptation like this is largely fanservice, but also sorta an easy jumping-in point. Like, it's easier to get someone to sit down and watch 24 minutes of an anime than play a game for a few hours and hope they stumble onto a character they like, right? I feel like that sort of thing's largely the goal of something like an IM@S anime, where they both came after a few years of their respective games (although I don't really know how the timeline for something like LL shakes out, for comparison's sake, so I won't make some claim that LL is or isn't building[ on] characters); there isn't really terribly much wiggle room in that sort of situation, I don't think. Maybe with certain particulars, but you can't really gently caress with a character's character too much, unless they're basically a non-person to begin with.

I'm also not really sure where they picked up the story for CG, although I imagine at least some of it's various character arcs from the mobage. But yeah, it does sorta rely on the various characters having more solid characters than they really get in the anime, so it certainly comes off (or came off at the time, at the least) as overly-melodramatic, or overcooked, or just goddamn hokey. Like I said, to a certain extent the overall plot looks a lot like IM@S's, except there the non-individual drama was hung on the sturdier characters, so it worked out far better. But even then bits of it felt very video-game-writing ('sup Kuroi) but I have a pretty dim view of video game writing in general, so that's probably a bit unfair
This is definitely the funniest checkmate

Incidentally: better or worse than "your smile"?

I mean, he's not entirely wrong and it's certainly less vague, but goddamn dude. "Your good point is looking for something good now fix Chihaya thanks."

Also hahahaha
https://twitter.com/Shikiaki0421/status/742985934124240896

Y'know, in case too many words about ??? and a picture of someone misunderstanding board games isn't your cup of tea.

f.e.

Polsy posted:

It seems like im@s as a whole is deliberately avoiding CG, which is fine with me as long as they can keep the drawn animation good enough. Hate to think how much time/people M@STERPIECE took, though.

yeah, that's more or less what I was getting at with that — rewatching the 1st one there's some stuff that's deliberately emulating what you'd get if you filmed a tv show, so everything being the same, rather than switching to CG seems pretty important for that kind of consistency, on top of probably wanting to avoid having dated cg laying around (plus I really like the handdrawn concerts, especially the distant shots where they use the super simple models instead)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

oh, was it only a single season break between s1 & s2? That means it was all planned - and to some extent worked on - simultaneously, which would explain why there's no upgrade.

Yeah it was just a two month break. It's why I tend to view CG as just a regular 2 cours anime instead of 2 separate seasons, and why I felt CG isn't that dissimilar from OG Idolmaster in how they're structured, with their first half building up their idols, and the second half breaking it down, only for them to grow stronger. I just feel CG does it better, but I'm biased since I saw CG first. Also I just find Mishiro more interesting than Kuroi, since at least her logic is somewhat plausible. She still makes some poor decisions, but she makes some good ones too.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

M@STERPIECE is still one of my favorite Im@s songs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

good morning, Wednesday fans! :wedass:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I didn't play SS at all yesterday and now I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaay behind in event points. Might have to buy some gems to make up for it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
https://twitter.com/HiagoXYZ/status/743074400866435073

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I heard that one of the new Aquors voice actors plays the game and tiers? :stare:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Top right Honkers is me every time I do a pull.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Chill la Chill posted:

So I heard that one of the new Aquors voice actors plays the game and tiers? :stare:

Yeah, looks like Riko's VA went and tiered for herself. Yoshiko Yohane also tweeted when she got her idolized Chika and Hanamaru tweeted when she FC'd the EX version of the event song the first time.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

good morning, Wednesday fans! :wedass:

Yayoi is a very good girl.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I wonder if there's a way to get the game to replay those fancy ``animations`` for some idols. I really like how they used this new-fangled ``animation`` technology to swap Mirei's face around.

On a side note finally!Just when I was thinking that I'd need an awful lot of points to in like, a day and a half~

Also since I was sorta wondering in the back of my mind, they do go back and voice the cards that were unvoiced. Come christmas, I can plonk christmas cake Igurashi there in the center and have her yammer at me! (I hadn't noticed she was voiced until I was finally going through the Ashita mata… event comms a couple days ago)

Also of note: another N whose face is covered in bread crumbs and is deeply upsetting.

Incidentally, if you get a phone call, I guess it works the same as if you somehow lost your connection? After I hung up, I was helpfully assaulted by the rest of the song (lol) and then got the result screen all to myself.

Unlike this guy, who uh idk, gave up?

Sonata Mused posted:

Yayoi is a very good girl.

>y
The only thing gooder than yayoi is some of the weird yayoi doujins. I'm pretty sure I saw one where she went to the moon or something? Makes sense.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Zenostein posted:

I wonder if there's a way to get the game to replay those fancy ``animations`` for some idols. I really like how they used this new-fangled ``animation`` technology to swap Mirei's face around.

Unfortunately, they haven't figured out the technology to replay it yet. You can pretend you're drawing event idols from a gacha in the produce note section if you really want, though.

Zenostein posted:

Also since I was sorta wondering in the back of my mind, they do go back and voice the cards that were unvoiced. Come christmas, I can plonk christmas cake Igurashi there in the center and have her yammer at me! (I hadn't noticed she was voiced until I was finally going through the Ashita mata… event comms a couple days ago)

They've only patched in voices for two idols so far, right?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

Incidentally, if you get a phone call, I guess it works the same as if you somehow lost your connection? After I hung up, I was helpfully assaulted by the rest of the song (lol) and then got the result screen all to myself.

I got a battery warning during one but it let me continue after I closed it, I guess there's a small window before they drop you entirely.

The unstoppable Japanese iPad guy does one-handed Tokimeki Escalate (http://polsy.org.uk/play/nico/?vidid=sm29048567)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I need to do some fact checking for an LP I'm running: Are there any examples of a betting mini-game like poker anywhere in iM@S history?