Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

prey has a unique setting but that's just about the only memorable thing about it

that and racism, anyway

doing the whole thing over is fine by me

I don't remember anything negative, other than starting in a bar, but Prey might be the only video game starring an American Indian character also voiced by an American Indian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

al-azad posted:

I don't remember anything negative, other than starting in a bar, but Prey might be the only video game starring an American Indian character also voiced by an American Indian.
It went into the Magical Native American cliche/stereotype which was more egregious because it was set in the modern day.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 15, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Skyscraper posted:

It's old, but the interview where Shinji Mikami, Hideo Kojima, and Suda 51 all sit in a circle chatting was a really good one, and contains a lot of less-filtered information.

Could you link that I actually don't remember it

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Len posted:

How so? It feels like Xbox live to me
multiplayer on psn used to be free. also, the ps plus free games have been drek. you also used to be able to share games with more people. i'm sure there's other things they've taken away.

and i personally dont play any multi games on my ps4 because my friends have been aged out (though they still play pc games)

Relin fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 15, 2016

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Improbable Lobster posted:

I kinda wish that we were still getting the space bounty hunting game that Prey 2 was supposed to be. Though I am vaguely interested by that trailer.

I didn't see any of the footage of the space bounty hunter Prey 2, but everyone said that it looked really good. It's too bad that they scrapped it.

Coolguye posted:

Could you link that I actually don't remember it
I don't know if this is the best quality copy of it, but here you go.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

al-azad posted:

Assassin's Creed 3

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Accordion Man posted:

It went into the Magical Native American cliche/stereotype which was more egregious because it was set in the modern day.

Wasn't that all done with the blessing/research assistance of the Native voice actors for the game, though? I remember reading that the main guy had given a lot of notes and advice about the game and how to handle things and the devs were always very receptive.

Don't worry though, the reboot will star a generic white dude. :effort:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Wasn't that all done with the blessing/research assistance of the Native voice actors for the game, though? I remember reading that the main guy had given a lot of notes and advice about the game and how to handle things and the devs were always very receptive.

Don't worry though, the reboot will star a generic white dude. :effort:

I think the reboot character is supposed to be asian

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That's even worse!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

oldpainless posted:

That's even worse!

Asians, they're worse. In general

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I think the reboot character is supposed to be asian

Oh, I guess he has a sort of Asian last name. Eh, we'll see.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

As long as he doesn't spend the whole game running around in kabuki costume or something it won't be worse than the original Prey

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Wikipedia posted:

. His grandfather, Enisi, contacts him from the spirit realm and tells him that such power is only an illusion, as the price is greater than what he has gained, and that he needs to look in his heart and make the right decision. Tommy heeds his grandfather's words and drives the Sphere straight into the Sun,

Prey was loving stupid, but it was fun to play. A shame that you can't buy it on Steam.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Enisidesi

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

As long as he doesn't spend the whole game running around in kabuki costume or something it won't be worse than the original Prey

...dammit, now I want someone running around in a kabuki outfit in a video game.

I suppose I'll have to make do with Naked Snake in MGS3.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Speedball posted:

...dammit, now I want someone running around in a kabuki outfit in a video game.

I suppose I'll have to make do with Naked Snake in MGS3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabuki:_Quantum_Fighter

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure you could do that in Way of the Samurai 3 or 4

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
yeah but do you get to whip enemies with your hair?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Played the RE7 demo with a couple of friends, turns out none of us are good with horror games. Wasn't even VR, can only imagine it'd be worse.

I imagine a lot of you are more desensitized to these kind of games than we were, but I thought it was pretty great.

Also unrecognizable as a Resident Evil game, if it wasn't literally in the title I wouldn't have realized.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Oh, I guess he has a sort of Asian last name. Eh, we'll see.

Yu is not a "sort of asian" last name it is definitely a Chinese last name

also I've never heard anything about the voice actor giving them notes on accuracy. If he had a say in the creative process I imagine he would have told the writers that giving your Cherokee lead the first name Tommy and a last name that translates to Hawk was a bad idea.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bleremiah posted:

Played the RE7 demo with a couple of friends, turns out none of us are good with horror games. Wasn't even VR, can only imagine it'd be worse.

I imagine a lot of you are more desensitized to these kind of games than we were, but I thought it was pretty great.

Also unrecognizable as a Resident Evil game, if it wasn't literally in the title I wouldn't have realized.

Yeah, so far there's literally one thing tying it in with Resident Evil, it's possible to find a photo of a helicopter with an Umbrella logo on it.

It reminds me of Condemned, which is not a bad thing. Condemned was a pretty good game!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

blackmarketlimb posted:

I still have the big metal edition of Prey with the little pewter figurines.

Me too. I really liked Prey. The use of portals (pre-Portal) blew my goddamn mind, the setting was cool, the soundtrack by Jeremy Soule was excellent, and the weapons were cool as heck. They were all these bio-organic creatures, so the grenades were little spider-crabs that you snapped the legs off of to prime, and the sniper rifle had a literal tentacle that reached out and grabbed onto your eyeball to act as the scope. It was really unique.

I liked the Prey 2 bounty hunter trailer a lot, and while the new Prey reboot trailer looks interesting, it isn't "Prey" as I know it.

Then again the title "Prey" itself is mega-vague and had nothing to do with the first game's plot or gameplay, so it's sort of a non-issue anyway.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

Me too. I really liked Prey. The use of portals (pre-Portal) blew my goddamn mind, the setting was cool, the soundtrack by Jeremy Soule was excellent, and the weapons were cool as heck. They were all these bio-organic creatures, so the grenades were little spider-crabs that you snapped the legs off of to prime, and the sniper rifle had a literal tentacle that reached out and grabbed onto your eyeball to act as the scope. It was really unique.

I liked the Prey 2 bounty hunter trailer a lot, and while the new Prey reboot trailer looks interesting, it isn't "Prey" as I know it.

Then again the title "Prey" itself is mega-vague and had nothing to do with the first game's plot or gameplay, so it's sort of a non-issue anyway.

The sniper rifle was also your assault rifle when you weren't zoomed in, and also your emergency weapon because it recharged a limited amount of ammo by itself so you'd always have a gun. Prey was also cool about having unique weapons instead of the FPS stables.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Speedball posted:

Yeah, so far there's literally one thing tying it in with Resident Evil, it's possible to find a photo of a helicopter with an Umbrella logo on it.

It reminds me of Condemned, which is not a bad thing. Condemned was a pretty good game!

I just don't understand why they are allergic to new games. If you're going to completely change things around why not change the name as well? Why go with "Resident Evil 7?"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Even if you completely change everything an established franchise with a number after it is a million times less risky than making it a new IP.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Even if you completely change everything an established franchise with a number after it is a million times less risky than making it a new IP.

I suppose, but you are still weighing that against the people who buy it, sight unseen, and are shocked by the change.

Then again if they buy RE7 blindly after playing RE6 they deserve what they get.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I just don't understand why they are allergic to new games. If you're going to completely change things around why not change the name as well? Why go with "Resident Evil 7?"

I want to guess that it's still set in the Resident Evil universe and we just haven't seen nearly enough to be told the connection yet.

I mean, the original Resident Evil was meant to be a serious horror game and people with nostalgia filters love to gush over how terrifying it was to have a dog smash through a window when you weren't expecting it. But the poor translation, bizarre puzzles that didn't really fit in, and very badly-aged graphics ended up making it silly more than scary. Capcom embraced the silly with Resident Evil 4 just going straight-up action movie, and the silliness and over-the-top violations of physics got more extreme with each passing game until the series was basically a zombie cartoon.

I feel like if this is seriously meant to be a canon game with Raccoon City and Umbrella Corporation and the T-virus and everything, it's basically an attempt at bringing the series back to its horror roots by taking advantage of improvements in technology and a dedicated English localization to make a serious horror game instead of something less realistic and more cartoonish than a Marvel movie.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Not my resident evil if I cannot Mexican suplex a VHS ghost

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
RE4 was good and scary. A nice break from the poo poo after re1

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

RE4 was scary.

Was it? Was it really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APZF_SefAFM

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Yes. I found the enemies that took ungodly amounts of bullets to kill scary when I was 15

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
It's scary in a frantic "Oh poo poo! OH SHIIIT!" cornered animal way, while the older RE games were scary in an "I CAN'T TURN AROUND FAST ENOUGH WHY CAN I ONLY AIM UP AT A 45 DEGREE ANGLE" way.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
RE4 didn't seem as wacky playing it back in the day, I remember the weirdness being rather unsettling, and the game didn't pull any punches iirc. You don't get that tension if you're just reading thedarkid.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
It started out scary (that village the first time through is initially creepy and then actually properly frightening when Dr Salvador shows up) and then gradually gets more and more ridiculous until you're firing a thousand magnum rounds into the giant mutated face of a midget castellan.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fil5000 posted:

It started out scary (that village the first time through is initially creepy and then actually properly frightening when Dr Salvador shows up)

The first few times you get your head chainsawed off while the GC controller shakes like crazy was pretty intense and shocking

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Your right hand comes off?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
y'all are forgetting the Regenerators, which in context and with all the slow build-up they have are actually pretty scary in addition to being legitimately dangerous

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Not even necessarily the RE4 ones, but regenerators are just a cool concept that also work pretty well at being spooky in a certain way. Like okay pal, here, take a gun, now see if it actually saves you.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kokoro Wish posted:

Your right hand comes off?

Also yeah, that invisible bug thing was pretty creepy the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

IMO RE4 really was the best for the sole reason that they were able to make it hard and creepy all the way through without having to rely on incredibly restrictive control scheme. Playing the REmakes really highlights how much of the difficulty can be removed with the addition of a modern control scheme, so it's really impressive that they could both make Leon a suplexing killing machine and also still have it be creepy