Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You just can't do n-to-n mappings with OUs, and no one in their right loving mind is going to break it down in any organization of reasonable size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Internet Explorer posted:

What I am not doing is making an OU called "Marketing Printers" and putting everyone who needs access to the Marketing printers in that.

Yeah this sounds stupid, I would probably kill someone that did this.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I got our Ops team some new laptops with i7-6700HQ processors in them, and they are still telling me that Excel 2016 32-bit on Windows 10 is painfully slow. Apparently even adding a row will freeze up Excel for a minute plus. They're assuring me that they're avoiding every potential inefficiency (like following all these tips: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff726673)

I'm about ready to throw up my hands. Ops is like 8 people who use Excel entirely to track performance of 500 employees, so they don't have a way to break these spreadsheets into smaller teams/tabs.

Is there any other workaround? I was considering maybe spinning up a VM on a powerful server so their laptops act more as thin clients and they can brute-force the calculations. Either that or have them use Excel Online but they hate that and it can't use their Salesforce plugins (neither can 64-bit Excel)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zero VGS posted:

I got our Ops team some new laptops with i7-6700HQ processors in them, and they are still telling me that Excel 2016 32-bit on Windows 10 is painfully slow. Apparently even adding a row will freeze up Excel for a minute plus. They're assuring me that they're avoiding every potential inefficiency (like following all these tips: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff726673)

I'm about ready to throw up my hands. Ops is like 8 people who use Excel entirely to track performance of 500 employees, so they don't have a way to break these spreadsheets into smaller teams/tabs.

Is there any other workaround? I was considering maybe spinning up a VM on a powerful server so their laptops act more as thin clients and they can brute-force the calculations. Either that or have them use Excel Online but they hate that and it can't use their Salesforce plugins (neither can 64-bit Excel)

This is the same problem any organization will face if they attempt to use excel for large scale data manipulation.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

I've been using Excel 2016 on Windows 10 for a few days for some rather large, but not complex, spreadsheets and haven't noticed any problems. Have you checked out this thread? http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...51e0ff3?page=22

Seems like maybe filtering was an issue that may have gotten fixed with a recent patch?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also the setting in Options > Advanced where you set the maximum thread count to one less than the number of physical cores on your machine.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

You could always virtualize 64bit office\excel for them?

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 16, 2016

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Thanks Ants posted:

Also the setting in Options > Advanced where you set the maximum thread count to one less than the number of physical cores on your machine.

What he said. Were the previous machines hyper threaded?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Zero VGS posted:

Make sure they don't have a bunch of dumb conditional formatting rules or unnecessary tables, those will both cripple workbooks. Used to work with a guy who made all his spreadsheets into million-row tables just for the color schemes, that was annoying.

wyoak fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 16, 2016

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Linked sheets or addons from other programs.

Addons can be removed but linked sheets will kill you.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I'd still try it on Excel 2013 with Windows 8. Both Office 2016 and Windows 10 are still in beta phase so it might really be a problem with the software.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

peak debt posted:

I'd still try it on Excel 2013 with Windows 8. Both Office 2016 and Windows 10 are still in beta phase so it might really be a problem with the software.

That was true a year ago, maybe.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Update on the GPO thing: MS updated the KB to confirm that the machine account is now used to read user policies and that you need to add read permissions for either Authenticated Users or Domain Computers to each policy you remove the default security filtering from. The behaviour change in this update will not be revised and this is the new normal.

Nice of them to let us know that one in advance :rolleye:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MS16-075/KB3161561 is causing problems too, it's an SMB EoP exploit fix, but it's had the effect of randomly and sporadically cutting off access to SYSVOL/NETLOGON if you access it via your domain alias. Still works if you go to the DC hostname directly.

Microsoft :negative:

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 16, 2016

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

MS16-075/KB3161561 is causing problems too, it's an SMB EoP exploit fix, but it's had the effect of randomly and sporadically cutting off access to SYSVOL/NETLOGON if you access it via your domain alias. Still works if you go to the DC hostname directly.

Microsoft :negative:

So if you use subdomain.domain.xxx and not domain.xxx it will break your sysvol? Or, if you use diffrentthing.com -> domain.xxx?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

incoherent posted:

So if you use subdomain.domain.xxx and not domain.xxx it will break your sysvol? Or, if you use diffrentthing.com -> domain.xxx?

It was happening if we accessed:

\\domain.fqdn\sysvol

but not

\\dchostname1.fqdn\sysvol

Found out a bit more, this patch will cause this problem only if you have UNC hardening enabled as per https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2015/02/22/guidance-on-deployment-of-ms15-011-and-ms15-014/ which of course, we do have it enabled :(

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Edit: context above

God drat it I had a really nice weekend planned

Now I have to deal with this new behavior bullshit as an emergency instead of a redesign then mass update because a coworker is dragging heels on speccing-out new patch management. I could have stood up a wsus server months ago, but nooooo. I have to wait until coworker is done "assessing."

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 16, 2016

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm so sick of Microsofts patching poo poo. It NEVER use to be this bad, and now monthly they manage to mess something up! I dont want to spend this much time thinking about patching!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Welcome to the wonderful future where all microsoft developers test their code....

.........in your production.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 16, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Quick, someone Photoshop Nadella into "I don't always test my code..." with your "your production" line.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

double post

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Quick, someone Photoshop Nadella into "I don't always test my code..." with your "your production" line.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I wish we could make an image the thread title

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm so sick of Microsofts patching poo poo. It NEVER use to be this bad, and now monthly they manage to mess something up! I dont want to spend this much time thinking about patching!
Well it was pretty lovely back in the 2000/2003 days but I think that was more because those OS's kinda sucked and applications running on them sucked more.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So ah... one of the patches from Patch Tuesday was pretty drat important. MS16-077 also known as "BadTunnel".

"The nuts and bolts of how the vulnerability works haven’t been revealed but it has been described as a technique for NetBIOS-spoofing across networks that bypasses firewalls and NAT (Network Address Translation) devices."

"This vulnerability has a massive security impact – probably the widest impact in the history of Windows."

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So ah... one of the patches from Patch Tuesday was pretty drat important. MS16-077 also known as "BadTunnel".

"The nuts and bolts of how the vulnerability works haven’t been revealed but it has been described as a technique for NetBIOS-spoofing across networks that bypasses firewalls and NAT (Network Address Translation) devices."

"This vulnerability has a massive security impact – probably the widest impact in the history of Windows."

god loving dammit i hate windows

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Having a hell of a time trying to get Windows 2012 R2 installed on a DL380 G7. I can boot to the ISO from ILO and it recognizes all the drives. I even loaded the driver for the Smart Array P410i Controller and I always get the error: We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

I did all the steps from here: http://www.techazine.com/2015/04/22/installing-windows-2012-r2-on-proliant-dl380-g7-without-smartstart/

But it didn't take, same error. Anyone have any ideas I'm missing?

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
For anyone who is affected by the patch which breaks GPO evaluation you can run this as an EA and it will crawl the forest for items missing the read permission and add it.

Powershell Script posted:

CLS
Import-Module -Name ActiveDirectory
import-module -Name GroupPolicy

$objForest = [System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Forest]::GetCurrentForest()
$DomainList = @($objForest.Domains | Select-Object Name)
$Domains = $DomainList | foreach {$_.Name}
$domainshash = @{}
foreach($Domain in ($Domains)){
$nb_name = Get-ADDomain –Identity $Domain | Select -Expandproperty NetBIOSName
$domainshash += @{$nb_name = $Domain}
Write-Host "Getting $nb_name $Domain" -fore red
$Server = Get-ADDomainController -DomainName $Domain -Discover | Select-Object -ExpandProperty HostName
$GPOs = Get-GPO -All -Domain $Domain -Server $server | Select DisplayName, ID -ExpandProperty DisplayName
ForEach ($GPO in $GPOs){
Write-Host "Checking $GPO in $Domain" -fore red
Try {
$testaccess = Get-GPPermissions -Name $GPO -Domain $Domain -Server $server -TargetName "Authenticated Users" -TargetType Group -ErrorAction "Stop"
}
Catch {
$GUID = $GPO | Select ID -ExpandProperty ID
Write-Host "Fixing $GUID in $Domain" -fore green
Set-GPPermissions -Guid $GUID -Domain $Domain -Server $server -TargetName "Authenticated Users" -TargetType Group -PermissionLevel GpoRead
}
}
}

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

A question for anyone successfully using MDT to perform an upgrade from Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 pro: Where did you get the Win10 media to import into MDT? I've used the official MS media creation tool to download .iso files, but they dont import into MDT. I found different .iso files on some MS 'techbench', those will import into MDT but then my task sequence fails with various vague error messages that I have so far been unable to solve.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Mr. Clark2 posted:

A question for anyone successfully using MDT to perform an upgrade from Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 pro: Where did you get the Win10 media to import into MDT? I've used the official MS media creation tool to download .iso files, but they dont import into MDT. I found different .iso files on some MS 'techbench', those will import into MDT but then my task sequence fails with various vague error messages that I have so far been unable to solve.

I think you need to focus on the error messages. Any windows 10 media should be able to do the job. I would honestly just use the profile export function built into mdt and do a fresh windows 10 install myself.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Redownloaded and imported the x64 image and surprisingly, it worked this time...at least in my test VM :iiam:
Redownloading the x86 iso now, got my fingers crossed.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
The media creation tool won't give you the correct media. You need the VL media as it contains the required WIM files.

Evaluation version will probably work?

Swink fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 18, 2016

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Swink posted:

The media creation tool won't give you the correct media. You need the VL media as it contains the required WIM files.

Evaluation version will probably work?

The version I got from MS tech bench seems to work but now I'm running into what looks to be driver problems. For those of you doing this, did you make a new deployment share just for Win10? I stuck my Win10 images/drivers/task sequences on the same deployment share as all my Win7 crap but I fear that may be causing me problems. All instructions that I'm finding online are starting clean in a lab environment, I'm not finding much about running it in production.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Question about Dynamics\Salesforce. I know Salesforce is the go to CRM platform but any guess if Dynamics will grow\steal market share in the future using perhaps some sort of uncompetitive business practices?

I guess my main question is will they be around 10 years from now? 20 years from now? The solution can now be offered in the cloud through Microsoft Azure VM, will that be big in the distant future?

I am wondering if it's worth dipping my toes into...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I may have an outdated perception of the two, but I've always seen Dynamics as a platform that can be used to build a CRM system on top of, whereas Salesforce is closer to being something that can be used out of the box.

We use Dynamics CRM at work and it's poo poo, and this is after near enough 200k of 3rd party developer spend. Though that may be because we are trying to manage a software project without any software project management skills.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ugh going to go loving crazy trying to figure this out, wonder if maybe one of you guys could help.

I've got 2200 remote machines with ~10 LOCAL users each (they are all named the same across all the machines), and running server 2012 R2. 90% of these users have hosed up file associations for xls/doc type files, don't ask, it's awful and I'm pretty pissed the "project" team that caused this problem does not have to fix it. So, domain level USER GPOs are out of the question, which sucks because there's a group policy user preference item that would do exactly what I need. I've tried this: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...ailto-protocol/ and it did add a reg entry for the program I selected, but did not seem to actually do anything useful, unless I'm dumb and did it wrong. Server 2012 and on hashes user registry hives so I can't just load hives, delete keys, import and unload, it will just return to what it was before (kind of).

Anyone dealt with something like this have any ideas? I've got a microsoft ticket open, but uh they keep sending me "fixes" that are domain user GPOs. Switching to domain users is the end-game goal, but it's not a possibility at the moment.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That sounds awful and you have my condolences for having to support what sounds like an awful setup.

I'm not familiar with what you mean by Windows 2012 hashing profiles and a quick glance did not bring up anything relevant, but cant' you just have a script that iterates through the relevant users in HKEY_USERS and sets the settings you need (or wipes it out and lets the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE settings take over or whatever you need to do)?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

That sounds awful and you have my condolences for having to support what sounds like an awful setup.

I'm not familiar with what you mean by Windows 2012 hashing profiles and a quick glance did not bring up anything relevant, but cant' you just have a script that iterates through the relevant users in HKEY_USERS and sets the settings you need (or wipes it out and lets the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE settings take over or whatever you need to do)?

I can't find the info I found before, but, if I load a user hive as my admin account, then delete the keys, import the keys I want, and then unload the hive, log the user on, nothing will have changed (essentially), if I then log the user off, load the hive again, I see the same registry entries that were there before I hosed with it. I found somewhere that talked about how user registries are being hashed in windows 8/2012 which causes this not to work.

Which means what you're suggesting won't work because it's essentially what I already tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

MF_James posted:

I've got 2200 remote machines with ~10 LOCAL users each

All things considered, hit men aren't that expensive.