Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Taeke posted:

Now I wonder how they would do or did it in Dutch, specifically the pronunciation of Groot, because 'groot' means large in Dutch, so it would work whether they chose to pronounce it the English way (as a name) or the Dutch way (as a name and/or adjective).

It would be a pretty funny coincidental pun.

There's no Dutch dub, since live-action movies don't get dubbed unless they're for children. The subtitles do say "ik ben Groot" which you could interpret as "I am Large". Still not as funny as Darth Vader telling Luke who his father is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Afaik they don't morph, it's just they've prepared the video for certain markets.

I guess they can just make mini-scenes on a DVD/BR so when a thing is on the screen, it's chosen depending on the language setting in the menu

Yeah, the movie isn't on the disc as one single monolithic file, the structure is more like:

First part of movie.m2ts
2 second shot of sign in english.m2ts
2 second shot of sign in french.m2ts
2 second shot of sign in italian.m2ts
More movie.m2ts
2 second shot of poster... etc etc

The audio language determines which playlist is chosen.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Mierenneuker posted:

Still not as funny as Darth Vader telling Luke who his father is though.

why

edit: Oh whoops, I remember lol vader = father

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

KozmoNaut posted:

He's pretty much just an all-round awesome dude.

Vin: Hey Dame Judi Dench, wanna play D&D between takes?
Dame Judi Dench, 7 time Oscar Nominee (and 1 time winner): Yes. Yes I do.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Jerusalem posted:

Vin: Hey Dame Judi Dench, wanna play D&D between takes?
Dame Judi Dench, 7 time Oscar Nominee (and 1 time winner): Yes. Yes I do.

I really wish they'd taped those sessions and had them as an extra or something. I'd pay a fair bit to see an entire campaign involving those two plus whoever else was involved.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's on camera for barely a second, iirc, but Ian McKellen's :smith: face in the first LOTR movie when Frodo offers to take the One Ring to Mt Doom has always stick with me.

In it, you can tell Gandalf was hoping against hope that someone else would take it, hoping that he could send his friend's nephew home far away from this poo poo, and its all completely dashed.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
When he first has the ring and looking at the writing you can tell, from his expression, Frodo can't read.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MisterBibs posted:

It's on camera for barely a second, iirc, but Ian McKellen's :smith: face in the first LOTR movie when Frodo offers to take the One Ring to Mt Doom has always stick with me.

In it, you can tell Gandalf was hoping against hope that someone else would take it, hoping that he could send his friend's nephew home far away from this poo poo, and its all completely dashed.

But who better than a Hobbit? Stout, resolute and nearly incorruptible!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

MariusLecter posted:

When he first has the ring and looking at the writing you can tell, from his expression, Frodo can't read.

On the other hand, by the end of filming Orlando Bloom could only read and write in elvish.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Can't read the Black Speech, you mean? There are few who can. Because Frodo finishes writing the Red Book of Westmarch (aka "The Lord of the Rings") after Bilbo writes the first bit (aka "The Hobbit"). He's quite well educated for a Hobbit.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

A little known fact, Elijah Wood found a company that was experimenting in memory erasure. He hired them to erase his ability to read, so that he could play the illiterate character of Frodo. He was so happy with their services that he suggested filming at their actual offices when Michael Gondry hated the set built to represent them in Eternal Sunshine. It was while filming his part as a technician that he found out that they had faked their machine; in reality, what they were doing after administering the sedative was hitting their patients with a rubber mallet, then asking them questions related to the subject to be forgotten. If they remembered it, the technician would hit the patient again. He still remembers nothing of his 7th form in school.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Imagined posted:

Can't read the Black Speech, you mean? There are few who can. Because Frodo finishes writing the Red Book of Westmarch (aka "The Lord of the Rings") after Bilbo writes the first bit (aka "The Hobbit"). He's quite well educated for a Hobbit.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

kizudarake posted:

A little known fact, Elijah Wood found a company that was experimenting in memory erasure. He hired them to erase his ability to read, so that he could play the illiterate character of Frodo. He was so happy with their services that he suggested filming at their actual offices when Michael Gondry hated the set built to represent them in Eternal Sunshine. It was while filming his part as a technician that he found out that they had faked their machine; in reality, what they were doing after administering the sedative was hitting their patients with a rubber mallet, then asking them questions related to the subject to be forgotten. If they remembered it, the technician would hit the patient again. He still remembers nothing of his 7th form in school.

The timing on both these posts was impeccable.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Edit: apparently I've missed an inside joke, having not read all 130 pages of this thread

Imagined has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Jun 10, 2016

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

The timing on both these posts was impeccable.

I've always been a fan of EmmyOk's posts.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

MisterBibs posted:

I always liked McKellen's take when he refuses the ring from Frodo. You can tell he genuinely wants it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does anyone have the original can't read post on hand?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Len posted:

Does anyone have the original can't read post on hand?

Page 117. If that was not the first time, it really picked up steam there.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

You could probably do an entire PYF Subtle Arrested Development Moments thread, but here's another: The truck that the FBI uses to spy on George Sr. is disguised as "Blendin' Mobile Pet Groomers." Blendin. Blend In.

:doh: How the hell did I not notice this before.

ninjahedgehog has a new favorite as of 05:30 on Jun 11, 2016

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
There used to be one then season 4 (wrongfully) killed it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Season 4 wasn't as good as the other seasons, but it wasn't absolutely terrible. I think the funniest thing of that whole season was when George Michael sat on the piano in the mirrored layout house and it played the wrong pitch keys.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Probably not very subtle, but I was watching X-Men Apocalypse last night and noticed that when the bad guy recruits Angel, he's backstage at a concert. The band playing is Metallica, and they're rocking out with The Four Horsemen :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Solice Kirsk posted:

Season 4 wasn't as good as the other seasons, but it wasn't absolutely terrible. I think the funniest thing of that whole season was when George Michael sat on the piano in the mirrored layout house and it played the wrong pitch keys.

There were moments, but it was too "clever" which is a weird thing to say about an Arrested Development season. They had too much time to write it and not enough network pressure to make it watchable. It became an ouroboros of itself. A metaouroboros.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Dug up the thread from whence it came:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301111

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Reading archived threads is interesting for the good jokes and seeing several banned/perma'd users per page.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

syscall girl posted:

Reading archived threads is interesting for the good jokes and seeing several banned/perma'd users per page.

Yeah that surprises me every time. Lotta churn in here.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Yeah that surprises me every time. Lotta churn in here.

Weird to see you say this, last year I read an archived thread where you kinda lead the way through an ARG - it was cool to see that you were still active.

I saw NdGT the other day and he pointed out that in The Breakfast Club the characters' parents' license plates reflect their hopes for their respective delinquents - the jock's dad's plate says OHIOST and the nerd's dad has EMC2.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ryoshi posted:

and the nerd's dad has EMC2.

Oh yes, the famous equation E=MC2 :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ryoshi posted:

Weird to see you say this, last year I read an archived thread where you kinda lead the way through an ARG - it was cool to see that you were still active.

I saw NdGT the other day and he pointed out that in The Breakfast Club the characters' parents' license plates reflect their hopes for their respective delinquents - the jock's dad's plate says OHIOST and the nerd's dad has EMC2.

"I got a ciphertext on AIM" or something yeah? Game master sent me that cipher because I had been active in a previous ARG/code thread. It's pretty funny if you read the thread now cause I'm jus proud as hell "Heya I decoded this letter idgaf" then SA members start to nudge me to pick up another letter and good god there is one in the trash. good times.

We did it though. We saved Sara and stopped the Sect.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
E MCC is Einstein's DJ name

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BioEnchanted posted:

Oh yes, the famous equation E=MC2 :v:

Being NdGT, he made a few pedantic digs at how license plates don't allow equals signs or superscript exponents.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

"I got a ciphertext on AIM" or something yeah? Game master sent me that cipher because I had been active in a previous ARG/code thread. It's pretty funny if you read the thread now cause I'm jus proud as hell "Heya I decoded this letter idgaf" then SA members start to nudge me to pick up another letter and good god there is one in the trash. good times.

We did it though. We saved Sara and stopped the Sect.

Yeah, this owned and it was cool that it actually ended, with a "win" no less.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

There were moments, but it was too "clever" which is a weird thing to say about an Arrested Development season. They had too much time to write it and not enough network pressure to make it watchable. It became an ouroboros of itself. A metaouroboros.

The intertwining stories were fun to piece together on a rewatch, but they just didn't bring the funny like the previous seasons did. I think not having all of the actors available at once hurt a lot too, people wanted to see the whole gang interact with each other again instead of "Here's GOB and a bunch of people you've never met before."

It also didn't help that it was frontloaded with most of the worst episodes, like that George Sr. one in the desert that didn't really go anywhere.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really like when the soundtrack and ambient sounds in a film or show blend together so you're not sure which you're hearing. A good example (and the one that prompted this post) is the first season of Hannibal. One of the main characters begins to suffer from progressively worse hallucinations and whenever he does the music begins to blend with the background noise. He begins to lose time and occasionally in an episode he will blink and be somewhere entirely different with no recollection of the intervening time. In the penultimate episode his hallucinations are building and the music builds into a roar which becomes the noise of a hoover as the character wakes up somewhere else. It's a really smooth and well done transition and the way the music creates it is excellent.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

EmmyOk posted:

I really like when the soundtrack and ambient sounds in a film or show blend together so you're not sure which you're hearing. A good example (and the one that prompted this post) is the first season of Hannibal. One of the main characters begins to suffer from progressively worse hallucinations and whenever he does the music begins to blend with the background noise. He begins to lose time and occasionally in an episode he will blink and be somewhere entirely different with no recollection of the intervening time. In the penultimate episode his hallucinations are building and the music builds into a roar which becomes the noise of a hoover as the character wakes up somewhere else. It's a really smooth and well done transition and the way the music creates it is excellent.

I thought I was watching something similar happen. While watching Insomnia, I really liked this suspenseful clinking sound that was in the background the entire move. It really fit well and kept me on edge. I was thinking the audio artists did a really good job of working with the mood of the film.

After the movie, I kept hearing it. Turns out, the smoke alarm in my basement needed a new battery.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Counterpoint: hallucinations of All Along the Watchtower led up to an ending a lot of BSG fans found tedious.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Mad Men did kind of a cool take on this in one episode, where the closing scene started with a minor character singing and playing guitar. There was like a montage that checked in on a few other characters while he was singing, and as it played the song got bigger, with more voices and instruments kind of gradually coming in until the credits ran and it was Peter, Paul and Mary doing the song, with the dude's voice and guitar no longer in it. Just cool editing/mixing.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've watched the first season of Mad Men twice and always mean to watch more but never do, it's very well made and written but not really designed for marathoning.

For a subtle moment that got ruined Hannibal has a great one of those. I say subtle because for thickos for me it was subtle initially but maybe it was heavy handed to begin with. In the second season when Will is trying to lure in Hannibal and capture him he occasionally dreams about himself fishing. It's a pretty nice visual metaphor and isn't super overt in the show despite how I've written it down here. Later Will keeps seeing a stag on the riverbank (his mental image of Hannibal) and later on again he just flat out refers to himself as a fisherman trying to lure in Hannibal. It's like they didn't trust the audience to pick up on it so they kept hammering it home harder and harder.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

EmmyOk posted:

I listened to an interview with Hannibal's sound designers and one of the sound tricks they use to make scenes with droning noise unsettling is that they replaced sound effects with musical cues that sounded like the original sound but were different enough to be noticable.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Ava in ex machina does the same skip/run that Daryl Hannah's character in Blade Runner did but leaves out the gymnastics in favor of actually killing the dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A movie that gets ignored often that I found quite charming is Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium starring Dustin Hoffman. I thought it captured a very Seussian tone without actually, being penned by Seuss and I like how the ending plays out, it always makes me feel somewhat happy. Also some of the dialog was quite funny, like when Mahoney is taking Mr Magorium to the hospital after finding out that he is dying:

He's very sick, he thinks he's 273 years old!
274, you were at my last birthday :mad:

I also like a lot of the little things surrounding the event, like how Magorium knows that it's coming. He found a pair of shoes he fell in love with so completely he ordered enough to last an entire lifetime. He on to his last pair, and as the movie progresses you see them getting more and more worn out.