Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Chairman Wao posted:

Little did you know that the Xbox One: The Third was just preparing you for this

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm sorry.

Anyone have any decent Hank Scorpio memes yet?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
So with all first party Microsoft games going to PC to what's the point of scorpio?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

eric posted:

So with all first party Microsoft games going to PC to what's the point of scorpio?

i guess for people who don't have gaming computers.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm sorry.

im sure something could be done with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1la8E6D3_M0&t=25s

but im just an ideas man

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

eric posted:

For gamers who want top shelf pixels

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

thats my vision for the future of hank scorpio xbox jokes

full joke coming holidays 2017

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Uh wont it only be $90 of ram total (3x$30), not $100 more

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

Carecat posted:

Uh wont it only be $90 of ram total (3x$30), not $100 more

i think youre pricing the wrong ram

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

eric posted:

Same as the xbone: whale trap anyone stupid enough to buy hardware from the company behind Zune, Surface, the RROD and Xbone.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
The Scorpio is going to be the elite controller in console form

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

shadow puppet of a posted:

Please give The Habitat a little more time to put down roots before we get run off of Games again for being impenetrably offtopic.
here's hoping the Scorpio is female, then

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

eric posted:

It may shock you but lots of people can't/won't/don't play games on PC.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Please give The Habitat a little more time to put down roots before we get run off of Games again for being impenetrably offtopic.

edit: Aw gently caress, I'm already braking out the us vs. them narratives. Welp.

You could try not being more predictable than a Microsoft hardware choice.

I mean, I'm just spitballing here.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lots of people are going to see a near 600$ console and consider a pc

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Real hurthling! posted:

Lots of people are going to see a near 600$ console and consider a pc

Also it's worth noting that almost any PC from Sandy Bridge and onwards is still a perfectly usable with modern games with a modern GPU.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
And then hit the GFWL2.0 store, play a game in it, and then consider a 600 dollar console.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm sorry.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

eurogamer on price:
But there is an elephant in the room here: price. Microsoft's brief to AMD in producing this behemoth of a semi-custom design looks pretty obvious - to create the most powerful console possible. The GPU is more powerful and it's going to be larger, which means it's going to be more expensive to produce. Meanwhile, assuming we're right about the 4GB of additional memory, that's not going to be cheap either - when we attended AMD's Munich launch event for Fury X and the Radeon 300 series, we were told that adding an additional 4GB of GDDR5 to the R9 390/390X cost around them around $30 per unit. In short, we would not be surprised to see Scorpio cost significantly more than Neo - maybe even $100 more.

tldr: Scorpio will cost over 100 dollars more than neo just on ram alone before factoring in the Vega chip

phil spencer on no gamer left behind:
Game developers will be able to use Project Scorpio's 6 teraflops of GPU power in any way they wish, and won't be forced to hit a native 4K resolution, head of Xbox Phil Spencer suggested in a video posted earlier this week.
Speaking in the video (below), Spencer explained that Scorpio is a "6 teraflop gaming machine, which will be a great gaming machine for true 4K gaming, giving you a native 4K frame buffer so you can see games in all their beauty.
"Or," he continued, "if developers want to use those 6 teraflops in other ways they're free to do that."

tldr: scorpio will let devs do whatever they want. 4k isn't mandatory and scorpio only modes aren't off the table

it's like if infinium labs made a steambox

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Phil Spencer on Giant Bomb right now (loosely transcribing): "If you have an HDTV but not a 4K TV, should you go out and buy a Scorpio? I guess, if you have one games might work a little better, but I don't think of that as the reason to get one. It's like you are downsampling the 4K to a 1K. Some of the developers might use the 6 teraflops in other ways, but the 4K is really the total package of the device"

gently caress, they are bad at this.

Confirmed that there will be no Scorpio-only games, all games will run on any Xbox.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

StarkRavingMad posted:

Confirmed that there will be no Scorpio-only games, all games will run on any Xbox.

OK, Phil, let's make this easy.

You've said that:

A. Scorpio can do VR.
B. By implication, XBone can't do VR.
C. A VR game is still a game, at least allegedly.

Therefore:

D. Scorpio will play VR games that the XBone won't play.

There is no avoiding this conclusion. None.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Patter Song posted:

OK, Phil, let's make this easy.

You've said that:

A. Scorpio can do VR.
B. By implication, XBone can't do VR.
C. A VR game is still a game, at least allegedly.

Therefore:

D. Scorpio will play VR games that the XBone won't play.

There is no avoiding this conclusion. None.

He did also say that the Scorpio is designed to run high resolution VR experiences. Which is kind of a mess when he says at the same time that all games will run on all platforms. The implication like you say is that VR games aren't included in "all games" but he's not going to come out and say that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

so the one S is not any different in power than the one but it is for gears and phil doesn't know why or how?

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Scorpio isn't going to exist. Seriously. This is just stonewalling until they shitcan the whole division. It's obvious as loving day when the head of the division can't even keep the details straight for two loving days.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

so the one S is not any different in power than the one but it is for gears and phil doesn't know why or how?

It's slightly more powerful to handle HDR stuff, and it looks like the Gears people are reallocating that additional strength to do actual game stuff.

In other words, it's not supposed to be any more powerful for actual games, but it might be anyway. It'd be a margin of error difference, though.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Real hurthling! posted:

Not for games, no, but the hdmis is supposed to be better and if you wanna run 4k video it'll do you good?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Patter Song posted:

It's slightly more powerful to handle HDR stuff, and it looks like the Gears people are reallocating that additional strength to do actual game stuff.

In other words, it's not supposed to be any more powerful for actual games, but it might be anyway. It'd be a margin of error difference, though.

gears dude should have shut up about it

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

What happened to the power of the cloud? :smithcloud:

And Direct X 12, and the advantages of super mega highspeed but not really on-die ESRAM as opposed to Sony's slow dumptruck RAM, and the dark silicon, and the unused CPU core disKinecting freed up? There's so much hypothetical performance on the table I don't know why they would even consider new hardware!

Xbox Serpico is going to take a bullet to the face for all the other failing Microsoft divisions desperately trying to justify their jobs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

phil dumping on shadowrun

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

"anyone with a calculator can see i'm losing to sony"

"elite controllers will always be in our line up"

"I encourage pc gamers to hook up to the tv and treat windows 10 pcs like a console"

on scorpio vr: "pc is the best place for vr right now"

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 16, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Real hurthling! posted:

He said there's some minor hardware differences because stuff just is slightly different from SKU to SKU based on component availability, etc, he said even different versions of the Xbone itself are slightly different, and the Xbox S runs the current not-final build of Gears slightly better because of that, but setting that specific thing aside and setting HDR aside, he would not recommend buying the S because you are thinking it will run your games better, that is not what it is designed for.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

StarkRavingMad posted:

He said there's some minor hardware differences because stuff just is slightly different from SKU to SKU based on component availability, etc, he said even different versions of the Xbone itself are slightly different, and the Xbox S runs the current not-final build of Gears slightly better because of that, but setting that specific thing aside and setting HDR aside, he would not recommend buying the S because you are thinking it will run your games better, that is not what it is designed for.

why aren't other devs being given the same access?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Real hurthling! posted:

why aren't other devs being given the same access?

maybe they are, I don't know

he went directly from saying "don't buy the S to run your games better" into "also don't bother with the Scorpio if you're not 4K" so there wasn't a whole lot of room to breathe in there

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nobody should buy anything
-phil spencer

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

the most dynamic pixels

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"If you don't buy anything, they will finally kill me and I will be free."

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

he went directly from saying "don't buy the S to run your games better" into "also don't bother with the Scorpio if you're not 4K" so there wasn't a whole lot of room to breathe in there

what in the world is he doing lol

is this a producers situation?

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

we could make more money on a teraflop than a hit

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
"just buy a loving PC already" - Phil Spencer

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

we don't want to force people to buy an xbox if they have a pc, we'll get their money there! *gamers hack and pirate all uwp games*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

we don't want to force people to buy an xbox if they have a pc, we'll get their money there! *gamers hack and pirate all uwp games*

GFWL was so bad it cost devs sales, with the easy piracy (boosted Shadowrun firesale copies sold, though) and needing to re-engineer to remove GFWL, or even stop being sold entirely because no more keys.

• Locked thread