Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
If I recall correctly, I got something in the mail automatically when I turned 18. had to sign it and send it back to them to acknowledge. This was over 10 years ago, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well it's been 18 loving years so I figure by this point they don't care.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Joementum posted:

You do not have to register, however, if you do not you cannot receive benefits from the federal government.

see: federal student loans

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Hollismason posted:

No really you actually have to register for the draft?

Don't worry. 4-F's do not serve.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

xrunner posted:

So that if a war breaks out that is serious enough to require doubling our armed forces, we can start right away without having to figure out who is even eligible to be drafted?

that isnt going to happen, its pointless

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Jarmak posted:

Armed populace is effective only in that it forces the Military into having to make the decision to either defect (which is the only way that rebellion succeeds) or start shooting civilians, bolt-action rifles get you to that point.

Bolt action rifles would i guess be great for halting a patrol on a rural road without commiting much manpower (gotta run before the artillery comes in! :ohdear:), but for building to building you absolutely need a "Semi automatic with a box magazine". The army already outguns us by so much, and you want to make it worse!?

PS i hear your insults coming, i of course would be killed instantly or rounded up and killed first. I'm under no macho fantasy. And as you said big chunks of the army defecting or fighting each-other are the only way this plan flies. Luckily thats usually how civil wars go. And we havent even gotten into foreign invasions!

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 15, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I get student loans and I've never registered so I guess its optional.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, our country is just full of ex-Baathist tacticians

No, it is not. A different one is, and that is where you might find an actual insurrection at this time.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Oh, also, aside from losing benefits, failing to register for the draft is a felony.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Superrodan posted:

If I recall correctly, I got something in the mail automatically when I turned 18. had to sign it and send it back to them to acknowledge. This was over 10 years ago, however.

I remember a thing in high school about signing up. Since you do it at age 18 I would imagine it is tied into voter registration at this point. But according to the Selective Service System Wikipedia page there are still criminal penalties if you don't register within 60 days of turning 18.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Federal student loans. Also, federal jobs. In some cases, working with federal contracts. Had to check that box not too long ago when filling out some applications.

I remember going to the post office when I was 18 to sign my selective service card. That was back when though.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Joementum posted:

Oh, also, aside from losing benefits, failing to register for the draft is a felony.

Also Gillette usually sends you a free razor after you register.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Maoist Pussy posted:

No, it is not. A different one is, and that is where you might find an actual insurrection at this time.

Yeah, if you think Iraq/Syria are fair comparisons :rolleyes:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I get student loans and I've never registered so I guess its optional.

It's not optional, failure to register is punishable by up to 5 years in prison (not that they ever actually enforce that)

If you had student loans I bet you probably actually registered at some point and don't remember.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Bolt action rifles would i guess be great for halting a patrol on a rural road without commiting much manpower (gotta run before the artillery comes in! :ohdear:), but for building to building you absolutely need a "Semi automatic with a box magazine". The army already outguns us by so much, and you want to make it worse!?

PS i hear your insults coming, i of course would be killed instantly or rounded up and killed first. I'm under no macho fantasy. And as you said big chunks of the army defecting or fighting each-other are the only way this plan flies. Luckily thats usually how civil wars go. And we havent even gotten into foreign invasions!

So did you not read or understand what I said? US Military would easily crush a rebellion, the only hope would be for them to refuse to put it down, the only firepower needed for that purpose is enough to force a confrontation.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Trabisnikof posted:

You're missing the point, the idea is to empower regulators to ban or control weapons that can be easily modified into banned or controlled weapons. The fact regulators are restricted to specific stupid physical features should be fixed by allowing regulators to expand the scope when workarounds are devised towards the goals of reducing deaths due to dangerous guns.
Nothing you're saying makes any sense and I don't know what you're arguing with. The "workarounds" are incredibly simple because guns are incredibly simple devices. The list of things that have been worked-around is stupid in the first place.

There are modifications that you absolutely CANNOT make for the stuff that is actually dangerous. If you modify a gun to turn it into an automatic and get caught the government is going to destroy you.

Attaching a thing to make the gun fire more quietly or have a different grip is both not important and easily done because of the laws of physical reality, not because gun manufacturers are being sneaky!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I don't actually remember registering but I got student loans and voted and have a license and been called for jury duty so I just assume that if it hasn't come up yet it won't. I'm getting kind of old. They had to be a box on one of those forms I checked.

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

Next time I will pay attention while choosing my thread tags.
The Selective Service System, which as far as I can tell, does nothing other than register all men in the US between the ages of 18-25, had a budget of $22.5 million in 2015 and more than 120 full-time staff.

The would is a wonderful and amusing place.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Crain posted:

Nor is this:

Those are all pistols. They do not have butt stocks on them. Oh, what are those things in the first and third images? Not butt stocks. No really. At least as long as you don't shoulder them.

Laffo at calling those "pistols".

If I'm getting the scale right the first one is firing either 5.56 or .308s. Both of which are rifle rounds.

I would love to see the mental gymnastics required to categorize a firearm with a rifled barrel, firing rifle rounds and a stock as a pistol.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Registering for selective service pretty much consisted of getting a postcard in the mail after school one day and throwing it back in the mailbox the next, I'm betting a lot of you did it and don't remember

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, if you think Iraq/Syria are fair comparisons :rolleyes:

OK, pick a different insurrection.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jarmak posted:

Registering for selective service pretty much consisted of getting a postcard in the mail after school one day and throwing it back in the mailbox the next, I'm betting a lot of you did it and don't remember

Or their parents just did it for them.

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

Jarmak posted:

Gilette or some other razor company sent me a free sample congratulating me for being a man after I did it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Maoist Pussy posted:

OK, pick a different insurrection.

American Civil War.

OH WAIT...

Rubber Tucky posted:

Gilette or some other razor company sent me a free sample congratulating me for being a man after I did it.

I do remember that.

"You can shave, son. Time to go kill."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
We signed up at high school our senior year. :shrug:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Rubber Tucky posted:

I don't remember that but based on everyone's stories I'm assuming I just forgot.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

CommieGIR posted:

American Civil War.

OH WAIT...

HELL YEAH

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

"You can shave, son. Time to go kill."

I found it really odd because I'd already been shaving for years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah, I'm sure Grant and Sherman and a massive Union Army had nothing to do with victory :rolleyes:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Joementum posted:

Or their parents just did it for them.

Thanks Mom.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Grant and Sherman and a massive Union Army had nothing to do with victory :rolleyes:

You eurocentric swine!

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

CommieGIR posted:

They definitely finished it. Starting it, not so much.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Maoist Pussy posted:

They definitely finished it. Starting it, not so much.

So, what you are saying is without a massive army backing you, maybe an insurrection won't work.

Got it.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
OK man, cool.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:ssh: U. S. Grant is already on paper money.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is Maoist Pussy an honest to god Trump fan or some accelerationist looking forward to the revolution that brings down the nation?

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Kro-Bar posted:

Also Gillette usually sends you a free razor after you register.

They sent me a carrot cake. That was 1996 though.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

Keep in mind that if you are over 26, you are permanently barred from those benefits because you are over the age to register!

Another fun bit is that you're also required to notify them within 10 days of changing your address. Penalties for not doing so are unstated, but it is a "duty" of someone registered with the system.

I don't think anyone actually did this.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I didn't register because I was already in the Navy when I turned 18, never got the thing in the mail and just assumed that being on active duty got me in the system.

About five years later someone called my command to complain, I signed up and that was the end of it.

The leadership would normally be mad about this kind of thing but I think they were all in the same boat of "What the heck, you're IN, it's not like they can draft you!"

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Xae posted:

Laffo at calling those "pistols".

If I'm getting the scale right the first one is firing either 5.56 or .308s. Both of which are rifle rounds.

I would love to see the mental gymnastics required to categorize a firearm with a rifled barrel, firing rifle rounds and a stock as a pistol.

The relevant statutory definition of a rifle includes that it's designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder, so that's what it hinges on. Has nothing to do with the bullet, a pistol with a stock could also count. I believe the ATF position is still that if you use that Sig Brace as a stock, that counts as a redesign and it's now a rifle. The intended (and as far as I know, really actually intended) use is putting your hand through it and strapping it to your forearm.

Hence Crain's comment that that isn't a stock as long as you don't shoulder it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Pistols and pistol rounds are not designed to be fired from the shoulder, though.

• Locked thread