Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Study Game Theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Azran posted:

Wait, does Warhammer Quest Silver Tower seriously have a "roll to see if you can roll" system? What? :psyduck:

Yes, and it totally rules.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rutibex posted:

That chain theory is a terrible way to measure anything. In truly random distributions you will get chains of wins just by chance. Flip a coin 100 times, your going to get some runs of heads/tails, that doesn't actually indicate anything.

The only way to tease better information out is to play more games and get a better statistical basis.

Did you actually read any words in the post you quoted after the word "chains"?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

burger time posted:

So I recently purchased Mage Knight (Thanks COOL CORN!) and I played through a solo First Reconnaissance last night. It's a really cool game! I'm wondering how I should proceed through the scenarios, and at what point I want to try to add Volkare. Any recommendations for how to proceed - should I move on to a Full Conquest, a Blitz Conquest, or what?

Solo/Blitz Conquest just depends on time available more than anything else. There is a difference in the playstyle as well (for example, Norowas is better in Blitz) so playing both is good but there's no real order. Once you have a handle on those, add Volkare in place of a City, then Volkare's Return, then Volkare's Quest.

There are also some instructions on BGG for adapting the other scenarios to solo play, and Tezla has a sort of super-blitz one (The Lost Relic) that doesn't require any of the new components (don't buy Tezla unless you really really love MK and want to reward a company for shoddy manufacturing anyway).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

canyoneer posted:

It is indeed bogus that Codenames doesn't have any kind of insert. It's not like anyone's going to sleeve the cards

I sleeved the cards. Why would you not? It's a party game

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Probably, it read exactly like the words of someone who knows gently caress-all about statistics.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah that response seems to have nothing to do with the post it is responding to. Rutibex, the idea is that if a (in a system that is highly structured) 5 dan player in Go will beat a 4 dan player 60% of the time (making up that number), and a 4 dan player with beat a 3 dan player 60% of the time, and so on, basically saying that each stone's worth of rank is that difference...

Then there's a maximum distance that will produce *any* measurable game other than a nearly 100% winrate for the stronger player.

Now, in Go, there's a handicap mechanism that is again, fairly structured. For other games that don't have such a system, designers should keep in mind what these skill levels are, and how many there are between base novice and experienced master, and decide whether that distance should result in a near 100% winrate (which typically happens only in very low luck games) or what % it should be.

Nothing whatsoever to do with "well just play more games to get a better idea", that's not at all what was being described.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

I sleeved the cards. Why would you not? It's a party game

If tragedy befalls my Codenames I will purchase another for 12 bucks

Texibus
May 18, 2008

deadwing posted:

7 dollars worth of sleeves on a 12 dollar game, that's how goons roll.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:doh:
No, not really!

burger time posted:

So I recently purchased Mage Knight (Thanks COOL CORN!) and I played through a solo First Reconnaissance last night. It's a really cool game! I'm wondering how I should proceed through the scenarios, and at what point I want to try to add Volkare. Any recommendations for how to proceed - should I move on to a Full Conquest, a Blitz Conquest, or what?

:black101:
I suggest you do "Volkaire's Return - Epic". In addition you should add the special rules from "More Rampage", "Mines Liberation", "Druid Nights", "Dungeon Lords", and "Conquest and Hold"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

deadwing posted:

My thought exactly. And if the cards get "marked" by usage it won't spoil the gameplay like it would on a secret identity/trump game

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Texibus posted:

7 dollars worth of sleeves on a 12 dollar game, that's how we roll.

Using full retail vs. online pricing is also how we roll.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Using full retail vs. online pricing is also how we roll.

Gotta support dat FLGS with those high margin products.

Where are these cheaper 45×68 sleeves amazon has those things for 4 bucks a pop for a 100.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 15, 2016

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Already plays (and tastes better) than the game it's based on, 10/10.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Texibus posted:

7 dollars worth of sleeves on a 12 dollar game, that's how goons roll.

I was just looking at SUSD the other day, they announced a game by weighing it and then recommended a game that comes with its own sleeves. I guess they're gunning for Goon market share.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

First impression of Codenames Pictures is high despite my dislike of the base game. I comprehend concepts better with images which are well drawn and hilarious like grenade with pineapple stalk.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

al-azad posted:

First impression of Codenames Pictures is high despite my dislike of the base game. I comprehend concepts better with images which are well drawn and hilarious like grenade with pineapple stalk.

I'm super sad my friend couldn't go this year to grab me a copy, since I'm sure it's going to sell out instantly too.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

LuiCypher posted:

Already plays (and tastes better) than the game it's based on, 10/10.

Monopoly Legacy: instead of tearing up cards you force feed them to people for playing Monopoly

al-azad
May 28, 2009

taser rates posted:

I'm super sad my friend couldn't go this year to grab me a copy, since I'm sure it's going to sell out instantly too.

It debuts at Gen Con but the prototype copy is huge and I hope they maintain the size.

EBag
May 18, 2006

7 Wonders Duel is good yah? Just came back in stock and I'm thinking of picking it up, I find 7 Wonders to be a bit bland and simplistic but the extra confrontation and having to juggle numerous scoring/win conditions in Duel looks interesting.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

EBag posted:

7 Wonders Duel is good yah? Just came back in stock and I'm thinking of picking it up, I find 7 Wonders to be a bit bland and simplistic but the extra confrontation and having to juggle numerous scoring/win conditions in Duel looks interesting.

I tried 2 games of it last night, it's alright. Military and science victories are more there to test whether or not you're awake and should never happen with alert players. Having the game end at 7 wonders built is a nice wrinkle though. You may be able to build 3 or 4 of your wonders, but you're giving your opponent the opportunity to cut the game short if he thinks he's ahead of you on a given turn.

The one thing I can see getting on my nerves if I bought it is a lack of variety. Using 8 / 12 wonders and 60 / 72 era cards every game leads to seeing the same setups continuously. The game needs an expansion to give it some longevity.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Game end at 7 wonders? Says here that the 8th wonder is just discarded back to the box.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

EBag posted:

I own it. Everyone likes it except me and my wife. The pressure of a military or science victory is neat, but in my experience it reduced the entire game down to only taking cards that wouldn't risk revealing a winning card for your opponent. We barely considered what any of the other cards actually did. It was more important to just take whatever left your opponent without any new choices.

Medium Style fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 15, 2016

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So I just played my first round of Istanbul (discounting the 2 plays against myself to learn the game), and I think it's an amazing light-medium game. The rules are fairly simple and straight-forward, the art is pretty, and I was struck by just how fast it moves. I would make a move, and it would be my turn again within a minute.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

The General posted:

Game end at 7 wonders? Says here that the 8th wonder is just discarded back to the box.

Motherfucker. This is what I get for trusting other people with rules readings. Thanks for the catch.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is Tokaido worth owning? I backed the collector's edition back when I was absolutely godawful with money, having never played it but being like "this would be a nice thing to gawk at over coffee" but since then I've gotten into more crunchy board games. I'm wondering if I should even open this thing.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dang I just backed the deluxe edition and would have purchased that collectors edition off of you

I haven't played it yet but I gave the rules a read and I'm super excited to play it

EBag
May 18, 2006

Medium Style posted:

I own it. Everyone likes it except me and my wife. The pressure of a military or science victory is neat, but in my experience it reduced the entire game down to only taking cards that wouldn't risk revealing a winning card for your opponent. We barely considered what any of the other cards actually did. It was more important to just take whatever left your opponent without any new choices.

Hmm yah that doesn't sound like what I'm looking for, we don't mind confrontation in our games but I don't like the idea of most of the choices revolving around what will gimp the opponent more. And I was a little concerned about replayability too which SilverMike pointed out, think this will be a try before buy or look to get in a trade.

signalnoise posted:

Is Tokaido worth owning? I backed the collector's edition back when I was absolutely godawful with money, having never played it but being like "this would be a nice thing to gawk at over coffee" but since then I've gotten into more crunchy board games. I'm wondering if I should even open this thing.

I've played it a couple times and would give it a resounding meh. There are few interesting choices to make and what's there are pretty obvious. It's also very short with few actions so if you fall behind (money and points are tight so if you don't have gold and miss eating at one of the checkpoints you're pretty much screwed) there's really no way to catch back up. It's an aesthetically nice light game but if you've been playing anything remotely heavier it'll probably bore you.

EBag fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 16, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

signalnoise posted:

I considered flipping my CE unopened as well, having played the base game and found it lacking. I didn't, though, and it turned out to be the right decision - the expansions turn it into a real game. I wouldn't play it all the time, but as a light relief or warmup game it's fine and it's also really good to have around for non-gamers.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

signalnoise posted:

If you don't like light board games, you'll hate it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tokaido is indeed meh. Haven't played the expansion yet, I can see it adding a little more, but it'll still be meandering towards the end collection points.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Browsing around I just noticed the Cuba Libre release is available, so I'm placing my first order in several months. I haven't really stayed up to date with recent releases, I was hoping to ask around here for a recap of any heavy games (especially those that may have slipped under my radar) from the past year or so. I haven't posted in this thread in ages, but I'm looking for suggestions from the Splotter/18xx crew.

Thanks!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The General posted:

Tokaido is indeed meh. Haven't played the expansion yet, I can see it adding a little more, but it'll still be meandering towards the end collection points.

Less than there was. Most of the new options make it worth visiting spaces you've never been to before: the Souvenir Shop adds swords worth 8 VP by themselves; the Temple has Amulets that can do some really powerful things including letting you use an occupied space; the Encounters can be replaced by buying an additional victory condition; and you can paint Cherry Trees that are worth more than starting a new panorama. This not only broadens your options, it increases the "gently caress you" quotient.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

Dancer posted:

So I just played my first round of Istanbul (discounting the 2 plays against myself to learn the game), and I think it's an amazing light-medium game. The rules are fairly simple and straight-forward, the art is pretty, and I was struck by just how fast it moves. I would make a move, and it would be my turn again within a minute.

It's a great game, but it gets a little same-y after a while. I highly recommend the coffee expansion as it adds just enough extra stuff to the game to open it up for additional strategies without bogging it down with needless excess.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

burger time posted:

Something like:

* Play First Recon, but understand that this scenario gives you absolutely no idea about the stuff you'll face on the core tiles, and a big part of the game is building for that. So your first 'real game' will go sour.
* Play the standard Conquest, either solo (if solo) or coop (if multiplayer). Learn about the core tiles and wonder what the gently caress you're doing, and understand that the dummy player is kinda lovely.
* Try a nice easy standard volkare, lowest difficulty, 20 wounds.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Is Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game worth playing/owning? I have a vague concept of the vidya game, and I see there are 2 board game versions that are pretty highly rated. The 2010/FFG one is rated higher and has a bunch of awards it seems but I don't know much about this. Help?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Played three games of Dominion Empires today. poo poo's crazy in all the good ways. The recommended Empires + Alchemy kingdom is nonsensical. Played a two player game with that setup and we spent most turns with our entire decks in our hands agonizing over sequencing. I think we tied that game with 85 points each

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

EvilChameleon posted:

Is Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game worth playing/owning? I have a vague concept of the vidya game, and I see there are 2 board game versions that are pretty highly rated. The 2010/FFG one is rated higher and has a bunch of awards it seems but I don't know much about this. Help?

I thought the FFG Civ game was a fairly lame approximation of the Civ franchise. It focused a bit too much on direct combat paths to victory with a combat system that wasn't super great. If you are interested in a Civ-like game I definitely recommend looking in to Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization. Besides exploration it hits a lot of great points of a Civilization game.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

EvilChameleon posted:

It's okay. It really wants at least one of the expansions, and it really wants you to take forever setting it up. It's a better translation of the game mechanics of Civ than TTA, but TTA is a better game.

The good points: The feeling of planning out and developing your cities whileschool exploring a map, different civs to choose, and a combat system that allows for wins and losses without necessarily meaning high casualties. Not much downtime.

The bad: It's very dangerous to fall behind militarily, setup is a pain, stopping a runaway leader can be rough, and there's a bunch of punitive take that mechanics.

If TTA is Dominion, Civ is a bit more like Puzzle Strike: not as good, but interesting ideas that become rather engrossing after multiple plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Thanks guys, those points help. I got Food Chain Magnate in, finally! Gonna play it sometime within the week and hopefully it lives up to the hype.