Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The gap between membrane switches and cherry switches is the same as the gap between cherry and topre. They are so obviously superior that the only type of person who would try to pedantically grasp at the word "mechanical" is a person who can't afford to have them.

It's like eating caviar except actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

faxlore posted:

convince me not to blow money on topre switches because i used a topre keyboard recently and it made my blues feel like garbage, tia

went from mx blue to topre. it's a pretty nice change. not that loud either by comparison.

what board you getting?

also absolutely loving my hhkb2.

if they come out with a v3, i'll definitely pick one up after a year or so

b0red fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 14, 2016

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
so I found a das keyboard for a cheap price and it seems to be working p fine here (finally my yosposting will get back the full power of cherry mx blue switches)

but why the hell does it need 2 usb ports? what's up with that

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Symbolic Butt posted:

so I found a das keyboard for a cheap price and it seems to be working p fine here (finally my yosposting will get back the full power of cherry mx blue switches)

but why the hell does it need 2 usb ports? what's up with that

I think one is for the built in USB hub.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Salt Fish posted:

I think one is for the built in USB hub.

ohhhh

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

b0red posted:

went from mx blue to topre. it's a pretty nice change. not that loud either by comparison.

what board you getting?

lol nice 10keyless with missing windows key and hosed up control/alt

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

sweet, how was it? and the camp thing?

and how was the key feel?

got to see a 3d-rendered cube with "quaaludes" in front of it

camp was great

key feel was definitely a mechanical keyboard, nice resistance, clicky

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shaggar posted:

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

b0red posted:

what board you getting?

I tried out my buddies leopold ten keyless and I really liked it. I don't know if I could get the HHKB cause I don't really dig the layout that much.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

I use emacs so I've always had caps lock as control. There is also a Mac in the background if you didn't notice, it has the Mac layout.

anything else I want I've learned its function key + spot in a matter of days.

I don't game.

faxlore posted:

I tried out my buddies leopold ten keyless and I really liked it. I don't know if I could get the HHKB cause I don't really dig the layout that much.

I wouldn't have got it if I didn't live inside emacs and terminal for a living. my other choice was gonna be the Leopold FC660c, it looks pretty solid.

b0red fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 15, 2016

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

b0red posted:

I use emacs so I've always had caps lock as control. There is also a Mac in the background if you didn't notice, it has the Mac layout.

anything else I want I've learned its function key + spot in a matter of days.

I don't game.

linux and linux text editors... have u no shame??

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

stop kink-shaming, shaggar

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

linux and linux text editors... have u no shame??

you like volume rollers, numpads, logitech and windows. could ask you the same thing

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

quote:

Cons: It is soooooo loud I can't even do anything with this keyboard. Don't believe the silent part in name of this keyboard. I can't even listen to music while typing with this keyboard. This keyboard might make you feel like you are typing fast with this loud sound but It is annoying me so much right now. I am programmer I need to type a lot. How am I gonna concentrate on work when there is gonna be so loud TAH TAH sound every time I click this keyboard....

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

b0red posted:

you like volume rollers, numpads, logitech and windows. could ask you the same thing

volume rollers and numpads are nice

windows is debatable

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

my code w/ clears at work is making it so hard to come home to blues.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jony neuemonic posted:

my code w/ clears at work is making it so hard to come home to blues.

literally in the same boat

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

b0red posted:

numpads are FTW

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

Roosevelt posted:

numpads are FTW

yeah they're super cool

if you're an excel jockey

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I type numbers all the fuckin time

keypads Are For The Win

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Salt Fish posted:

The gap between membrane switches and cherry switches is the same as the gap between cherry and topre. They are so obviously superior that the only type of person who would try to pedantically grasp at the word "mechanical" is a person who can't afford to have them.

It's like eating caviar except actually good.

i think what you meant to say is: cherry mx are the way the truth and the light, and topre switches have rubber domes so they are not mechanical. they only get cred because someone paid $350 for a japanese keyboard and needs to justify his purchase when literally ev-ery-one knows that german quality is superior

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
my ducky got here and it is awesome except for one thing

it's in an ISO layout, i may kill myself

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
also the backlighting is so even, it's beautiful

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
o
m
g

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

does that logitech need any special driver or is it plug and play

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

i don't think any keyboard in 2016 needs drivers to work

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Endless Mike posted:

it'll just show up as a standard usb keyboard, media keys have been a normal feature in keyboard drivers for like 15 years

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lol if you don't need a numpad for your multitude of counterstirke binds

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

ArmZ posted:

lol if you don't need a numpad for your multitude of counterstirke binds

back when i played a lot of CS this was all i ever used my numpad for. easiest way to buy all your weapons/armor in a matter of seconds.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

b0red posted:

i don't think any keyboard in 2016 needs drivers to work

i got a corsair that required their stupid software and simply would not work without it.

i promptly returned it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

b0red posted:

yes i like the good things.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

for the one i posted all the keys are standard so no. if its another one with macro keys you can do simple macros without the software but if you want to do more complex ones you need the software.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

even than if it does require some sort of drivers most keyboards/mice have onboard memory now and that software is just there to setup your initial macros/gamerz config. I that lovely logitech config thing back in 2009 for my g9, setup a few profiles, deleted it and have never had to touch it since.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

well, i'm asking because i want a better keyboard at work, and the computer is locked down so i can't install anything that's not on an approved list, which i doubt "logitech extreme gamer control center!!!!" or whatever is on.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

well, i'm asking because i want a better keyboard at work, and the computer is locked down so i can't install anything that's not on an approved list, which i doubt "logitech extreme gamer control center!!!!" or whatever is on.

Well it depends on what you're trying to spend. You either get the cheaper logitech and configure it at home or blow a bit more dosh for a mech that has programmable macros built straight into it which many do. pok3r can do it iirc but you seem like you want a full keyboard.

this das is fullsize and has macros
http://www.divisionzerogaming.com/x40/
althought it looks a bit extreme mtndew360 imo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i don't really care about macros. i just want a keyboard that's nicer to type on than this lovely dell special.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

i don't really care about macros. i just want a keyboard that's nicer to type on than this lovely dell special.

can't go wrong with the cmstorm family, wasd, or das.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah i have a das at home i like, but was hoping for something a bit cheaper. oh well, may go that route.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bgggh mechanical keyboards are expensive

rule 36 bithc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

yeah i have a das at home i like, but was hoping for something a bit cheaper. oh well, may go that route.

get the g610. same components but no dork-brand surcharge

• Locked thread