Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

poo poo breaking for no reason is my favorite feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
poo poo hasn't really ever broken despite me occasionally going out of my way to break it in the almost two years I've been running this install of Arch but maybe I'm just Linuxing wrong :shrug:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i'm just being stupid. i used to have those problems many years ago (blah blah "read the fuckin release notes") but it is not as bad today. they have some p good resources that are applicable across distro, although the community is generally hostile, and the advice of "just use arch" is often not useful

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

OldAlias posted:

i'm just being stupid. i used to have those problems many years ago (blah blah "read the fuckin release notes") but it is not as bad today. they have some p good resources that are applicable across distro, although the community is generally hostile, and the advice of "just use arch" is often not useful

Arch has really good resources because it's essentially necessary to run Arch.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
is manjaro any good? considering using it for a ham radio laptop

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

atomicthumbs posted:

It's what my laptop runs. I see it as Arch for people who don't want to test every update themselves.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

I took it for a test spin and it seemed fine, everything worked out of the box minus my track pad. I liked it, but I wasn't really willing to put in the research to make sure it wasn't Ubuntu the Arch version. If I was looking at Arch i'd probably just install Arch. Though if you're going to dick around with a Linux the official yospos distro's are Cent, RHEL, and Fedora.

I was using openSUSE tumbleweed for a media box, I liked it. Unfortunately I didn't read up on BTRFS.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

how is fedora on laptops? i still like the idea of running it but i like having lots of ham radio software accessible

of note: it is important that the sound card works properly

also i like an lxqt distro

evilcat
May 16, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

how is fedora on laptops?

It's good enough? Every time I go back to it on recommendations I always end up going "this install is pretty slow and this installer is kind of ugly" followed up by "This entire thing is pretty slow but it's alright I guess I mean I have no real complaints but I have no real things I like about it either it's just another distro" in a long run on sentence like that.
I guess maybe just more powerful hardware than anything I have is needed for Fedora (which isn't saying much) but I can't think of much in its favor short of it pushing innovation without being as prone to breakages as some rolling releases can be which is probably not really worth that much to be honest, I've only really had a rolling release go bad on me twice, once due to a drive issue (Suse Tumbleweed) and once due to an actual update it downloaded that killed the system (Netrunner).

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Fedora is fine. If you're worried about slow running on old hardware try out crunchbang++ it's nice.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

moonshine is...... posted:

Arch has really good resources because it's essentially necessary to run Arch.

Arch is the new Gentoo. It's not something I'd run, but they do have a drat good wiki. Because they require it

On DEs, I haven't used gnome in a while, but KDE is basically windows out of the box, except while each release of windows allows you to customize less, KDE keeps going the other way. Some don't like that because they feel like they have to change everythin? I just run the default config with a tiling window script and a couple hotkeys changed and it works great for my laptop.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Actually Arch owns because they basically just package the latest upstream versions and release them as soon as is reasonably practical and in all other respects they stay out of the way. There is the odd configuration file that needs writing here and there but really it isn't significantly harder to set up from scratch than Windows is when you factor in all the bullshit driver chasing involved with Windows.

On that note, here's a really good article by an Arch maintainer:

http://kmkeen.com/maintainers-matter/

Recently the xdg-app Flatpak project has been maturing and offering the possibility of a way for people to ship software binaries directly to Linux desktop users, targeting "runtimes" that are basically the libraries from GNOME 3.20 or KDE 5.2 or whatever, which are shipped by GNOME and KDE directly. So of course Mark Shuttleworth rides in and attempts to gently caress things up by releasing a badly designed and badly integrated competitor called snapd, as usual.

The article above makes a very compelling case for why this might actually be a bad idea in general (gist of it being that distro packagers might slow releases down a little bit, but having an unaffiliated human being in the loop to keep the upstream developer honest is a really important function that people won't appreciate until it's gone).

firebeats
May 8, 2016

atomicthumbs posted:

how is fedora on laptops? i still like the idea of running it but i like having lots of ham radio software accessible

running it on a laptop now, it's fine

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Arch's documentation isn't even really that expansive or thorough. It's just amazingly good at quickly running through all the important options, edge cases, and common use cases.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

atomicthumbs posted:

it is fine, sound wont be an issue. external monitors work and are functional but are a total loving pain in the dick and i want to throw my laptop out the window every day because of it.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Arch's documentation isn't even really that expansive or thorough. It's just amazingly good at quickly running through all the important options, edge cases, and common use cases.

:agreed:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
stop making me want to play with arch again, I don't have time for that poo poo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
well good news you can enjoy 100% of the benefits of arch (the documentation) without even installing arch.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

well good news you can enjoy 100% of the benefits of arch (the documentation) without even installing arch.

yeah, instead let's use a desktop distribution that has really outdated versions of the software i like to use or has loving ads and spyware built into it

(on a server you want the rock solid stability of centos, obviously)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
well, you can install any linux and even osx and the good news is that the arch linux wiki will still be really useful to you

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i really wish the forums were equally good.

if the quality of the forums matched the quality of the wiki, you'd probably have yourself some sort of premiere linux community

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

Actually

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

if the quality of the forums matched the quality of the wiki, you'd probably have yourself some sort of premiere linux community

same

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'm really disappointed i ever associated myself with gnome.

greatest moment in the linux thread.

i'm calling it now, it can't get better than this

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

VikingofRock posted:

Yeah I see a lot of people complain about gnome, but I also see people complain about pretty much all of the popular DEs so it's hard to tell what is actually bad and what is just a result of people declaring that everything is terrible. I was looking at KDE because the customizability sounds kind of neat, but I think people tend to not like KDE for some reason that I'm not entirely clear on.

the kde 3 to kde 4 transition was an un-ending horror show. it took them almost ten years to re-implement most kde 3.x's featureset on the 4.x frameworks.

if you had the misfortune of using kde during this period nothing worked and googling poo poo didn't turn up a solution because it referred to kde 3

they learned from this experience and kde 5 is not going to have that kind of transition

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

we've been talking about it at the office and we cannot find where the supposed upside is

i am about 90% sure the reason to do this is so that they can CLOSED: WONTFIX all bug reports about source compatibility

they broke your app on purpose, it's a feature!!!

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

not every forum can match the newb friendliness and depth of expertise of the pos

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

hobbesmaster posted:

as do i

linux on the desktop: a VM and a arm dev board count right, they're on my desk

mac on the street, linux in the sheets

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the GIMP Tool Kit

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Mr Dog posted:

yeah, instead let's use a desktop distribution that has really outdated versions of the software i like to use or has loving ads and spyware built into it

(on a server you want the rock solid stability of centos, obviously)

ehhhh, I mean it's been a long time since I used Arch, but I actually like being able to use my computer without janitoring. every hour I do I'm losing time I could've been billing, I like stability. I can always run a quick compile on a piece of software that I NEED to be latest, and I feel that's quicker than dealing with everything being a little bit self assembled.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The GIMP Tool Kit

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

The GIMP Tool Kit

Problem? Bitch?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

some update happened on fedora and then my laptop wouldn't boot so i just booted to the previous entry in the automatically set up GRUB boot menu and everything was fine for a week or so and then something else updated and everything worked fine

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
as horrible as it sounds, the issue that kind of kept me from using arch was that the fonts dont look quite right

i unironically like the ubuntu font, it looks realy good in terminal windows under kubuntu, but even with the same font package installed in arch, nothing looks quite the same and it's surprisingly jarring, i have been using kubuntu for a little over 6 years and thats a lot of time to get used to very small things, to the degree that in a arch install i get the feeling of "everything looks slightly wrong somehow"

and the main thing that was going to push me to arch instead of kubuntu 16.04 was the window manager (plasma desktop) crashing every single time i hotplugged or hotunplugged a external monitor, and that no longer occurs, so eh

i could post a side-by-side font rendering screenshot for comparison but that will take a lot more effort than i am willing to put toward an arch install in a VM at the moment

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Lysidas posted:

as horrible as it sounds, the issue that kind of kept me from using arch was that the fonts dont look quite right

i unironically like the ubuntu font, it looks realy good in terminal windows under kubuntu, but even with the same font package installed in arch, nothing looks quite the same and it's surprisingly jarring, i have been using kubuntu for a little over 6 years and thats a lot of time to get used to very small things, to the degree that in a arch install i get the feeling of "everything looks slightly wrong somehow"

and the main thing that was going to push me to arch instead of kubuntu 16.04 was the window manager (plasma desktop) crashing every single time i hotplugged or hotunplugged a external monitor, and that no longer occurs, so eh

i could post a side-by-side font rendering screenshot for comparison but that will take a lot more effort than i am willing to put toward an arch install in a VM at the moment

did you use infinality?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

looks like the community continuation of crunchbang finally released a release

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Posting from a freshly installed Fedora machine. Feels good so far..

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

eschaton posted:

I use macOS, the world's most advanced personal computer operating system.

i like the new-old name. OS X used to look like a box of poison

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

b0red posted:

did you use infinality?

i've never seen a screenshot of what infinality does to fonts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Lysidas posted:

yeah I recently looked at debian, fedora, and ubuntu, and whatever ubuntu does with fonts looked way better than the other two.