Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Wesley gave up Space Tubas for Ashley Judd's Space Pubis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Looking for the DS9 episode where Odo uses his powers to give himself a 18 inch donger and shows it to Kira.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

shadow puppet of a posted:

Bajorans are NOT Space Jews. They have no industry, they have no worthwhile food, their culture pervades nowhere and is the foundation of no other cultures. Please don't be so offensive.

Bajor's own mis-management of Bajor is not akin to a Genocide. The Cardassians tried to save the Bajorans and when they had enough of the suicide bombings of their industrial works projects designed to stop the famine and left, Bajor went out and founded an indefensible New Bajor colony across the worm hole, in the middle of another year of crop failure on the homeworld mind you, that was wiped out allegedly by the Jem'Hadar, but you and I both know New Bajor got caught up in another fevered season of prayer and not planting so it was a New Famine on New Bajor that claimed them.

Bajorians are space Palies.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Last night I watched two voyager episodes. One was cool because Tuvok goes rogue and trades federation books for super tech. I look forwards to more rogue Tuvok. If only.

And the one before had the worst loving acting of any trek ever. That I've ever seen. Paris was accused and convicted of killing somebody and got mindfucked as punishment. God, everything was so terrible and all the acting was so over the loving top from the guest stars. I dunno who directed that piece of poo poo but gently caress, I hope he never does it again.

Edit: holy gently caress. Geordi LaForge directed that piece of poo poo. And also I watched that one longer ago. It's just the jerk off episode about "what happens after death???" Was pretty forgettable all around.

The General fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 16, 2016

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

About all I remember about Cardassia as a setting was that room with 5 lights

The General
Mar 4, 2007

A common grade school room.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There were four lights

The General
Mar 4, 2007

You don't wanna know what cardassian detention is like.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Didn't Cardassian architecture have 10 inch hurdles on every floor way ever?
In the first few episodes of DS9 you saw them constantly stepping over then, and Melora complaining about it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Not as advanced forcefield technology. Also when alien spies try to run to their emergency transport site, it fucks them up and they trip.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

The General posted:

God, everything was so terrible and all the acting was so over the loving top from the guest stars.

See, people seem to praise that in TOS. Earlier in this thread someone talked about how great the guest in The Doomsday Machine was, but I watched it a week ago and he was laughably over the top.

Same thing with Elinor Donahue in the episode I watched today. She did lots of flinging herself onto furniture to cry.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

ToS was different times. I'm not smart enough to explain it better. Different trek, different feel.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

criscodisco posted:

See, people seem to praise that in TOS. Earlier in this thread someone talked about how great the guest in The Doomsday Machine was, but I watched it a week ago and he was laughably over the top.

Same thing with Elinor Donahue in the episode I watched today. She did lots of flinging herself onto furniture to cry.

The reason why people poo poo on Voyager is because it was in the shadow of the 3 shows that came before it. Voyager actually had a cool premise. One that they promptly forgot about by like 2 episodes in and spent 7 years trying to be TOS or TNG instead of actually trying anything new. It wasn't a colossal disasterpiece like the Star Wars prequels were. It's just that Voyager and the TNG movies made around the same time were aggressively mediocre and bland. Star Trek didn't die with a bang, it died with a whimper.

Like, you can watch the Phantom Menace and stare in disbelief at just how bad it is... but when you watch Voyager or Star Trek: Insurrection... you just get bored and fall asleep.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wait so the huge turbonerd ignores the videogame in favor of mackin' on a hot lady and you guys still bust his nuts?? the gently caress is wrong with you

Wesley is the kind of kid who refuses to play popular games like Overwatch or Call of Duty because he really only enjoys games like Train Simulator 2013

Add Ashley Judd to that mix, and yeah there's no way that pasty lonely nerd is gonna play the game. He didn't even save the crew, Data was the one who figured it out

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wesley is the kind of kid who refuses to play popular games like Overwatch or Call of Duty because he really only enjoys games like Train Simulator 2013

Add Ashley Judd to that mix, and yeah there's no way that pasty lonely nerd is gonna play the game. He didn't even save the crew, Data was the one who figured it out

Oh gently caress, this means I'm a Wesley

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

happyhippy posted:

In the first few episodes of DS9 you saw them constantly stepping over then, and Melora complaining about it.

DS9's architecture is basically modern naval architecture with kneeknockers.

Of course modern ships have them because that's where the watertight hatches are to close in case of emergencies - maybe Cardies don't put the force field generators flush with that floor for a similar reason?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He didn't even save the crew, Data was the one who figured it out

Thank God they had a strobe light on board.

Wesley was a bitch. He constantly sounds like a PSA. "But mom, I can't understand why anyone would do drugs!"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

criscodisco posted:

Thank God they had a strobe light on board.

Wesley was a bitch. He constantly sounds like a PSA. "But mom, I can't understand why anyone would do drugs!"

"Shut up and go to the Holodeck for a few hours, you can use my credits. . . I have to light this candle."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Wesley is a goon, Geordi is a redditor

Data is E/N

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
so i binged thru tng and ds9 but god drat i can stomach this voyager trash. is it ok to skip and watch enterprise? i really miss dr phlox i like how he talks

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
ps ds9 is best trek, gas this abortion thread already where nobody talks about voyager

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

DOMDOM posted:

so i binged thru tng and ds9 but god drat i can stomach this voyager trash. is it ok to skip and watch enterprise? i really miss dr phlox i like how he talks

keep watching voyger man it gets good. every trek has its breaking in period

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

DOMDOM posted:

If you like phlox talk you need to watch The Man From Earth which also has Tony Todd and one of the drunker irish holograms.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Typical Pubbie posted:

this is a trick

a dirty trick

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Typical Pubbie posted:

You'll never get those hours of your life back. Skip to season 4 of Enterprise and skip the series finale, it's atrocious.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
V'ger gets better once Seska does the thing, and it gets betterer once they lose the Kazon entirely.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
The ending of Enterprise would have been better if after the credits it cut to an inception level reveal that Barkley was simulating Riker being fat and living as a ships cook on the worst spaceship in existence for years as some kind of petty revenge scenario.

Troi shows up and then they laugh and bone in front of fat riker as he slowly fades from existence, having gained sentience right as Barkley shouts DELETE PROGRAM as he finishes.

The twist is Riker was simulating THAT.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

happyhippy posted:

"We can't just put up a couple of very low ramps that smooth out nicely? Starfleet engineering corps can't do some simple inclined flooring mods on this place?"

But I think in the Making of DS9 book, there's a comment about how even Cardassian architecture is essentially built around the idea of 'no secrets'. They want to see support beams and rivets and conduits because they believe in honesty in design and not trying to hide things.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
:siren:Happy Captain Picard Day!:siren:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

:siren:Happy Captain Picard Day!:siren:

i'm the bust with downsy bug-eyes

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I watched an episode of Voyager the other night where they send the Doctor on to a Federation ship, but it's been taken over my Romulans and he has to team up with this super gay new EMH to beat them. It was actually a good Voyager episode because it was just the Doctor and another silly character.

Eventually, by season 4 or so, the writers of Voyager realized that all the characters sucked except for the Doctor and Seven of Nine so the show basically became about them.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
captain archer just got all bent out of shape because his dog pissed on some sacred tree and angered aliens but his dog got sick and clearly his dogs health is above intergalactic diplomacy & first contact & getting warp plasma cores or something

who writes this poo poo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DOMDOM posted:

captain archer just got all bent out of shape because his dog pissed on some sacred tree and angered aliens but his dog got sick and clearly his dogs health is above intergalactic diplomacy & first contact & getting warp plasma cores or something

who writes this poo poo

Filthy dog people

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Watching DS9 and thinking about the new stark trek not only does the new star trek's streaming bullshit suck but they're probably gonna get the wrong idea from popular series like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones and make it gritty as gently caress where everyone is angry and tortured souls and a main cast member dies every season to try to make it a meme about how it JUST KILLS OFF EVERYONE ITS SO DARK GUYS and the new captain is going to basically be space hitler who defies all the rules and plays fast and loose while she's giving some admittedly sweet-rear end one liners.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i'm the bust with downsy bug-eyes

I'm the doll in the front that is very obviously a Picard voodoo doll made by the kid's parents but was stolen by the kid and hastily submitted because they forgot it was Captain Picard Day.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Man I kinda forgot they were even doing a NuTrek show

hope it's good but outlook is poor

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Watching DS9 and thinking about the new stark trek not only does the new star trek's streaming bullshit suck but they're probably gonna get the wrong idea from popular series like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones and make it gritty as gently caress where everyone is angry and tortured souls and a main cast member dies every season to try to make it a meme about how it JUST KILLS OFF EVERYONE ITS SO DARK GUYS and the new captain is going to basically be space hitler who defies all the rules and plays fast and loose while she's giving some admittedly sweet-rear end one liners.
i'm ok with some grit but the beauty of good trek is the balance

Grand Nagus posted:

quaaaarrrrkkkk ehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehhhheheeheheheheheeeehehe

except for that bullshit baseball episode, that was hosed

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah the best thing about Star Trek is that it's optimistic and progressive at heart. Despite DS9 being the best Trek, it's as gritty as Trek should get.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

DOMDOM posted:

except for that bullshit baseball episode, that was hosed

You and me are gonna have problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

dojokm posted:

Yeah the best thing about Star Trek is that it's optimistic and progressive at heart. Despite DS9 being the best Trek, it's as gritty as Trek should get.

I agree. You gotta have moments of darkness, but part of the show was about the struggle to maintain the paradise they had, at war with a hostile civilization that is out on the frontier where it's violent and choices aren't always so black and white.

A good future star trek show would sit in a space between The Next Generation after season 2 and DS9 in tone and temperment and not be afraid to go to either side episode by episode.